Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

LongDarkNight posted:

All of the above is true but I'll stand up for DW as being a great, if flawed, gateway to bring folks entrenched in Dungeons & Dragons into the world of narrative games.
Yeah DW is still a lot of fun to actually play and the GM side tools are actually really good. It's just got a lot of flaws in terms of design that were initially ignored or not fully understood when it first came out, and unfortunately a number of those flaws ended up becoming PbtA standards for a time. It also doesn't help that the designers don't seem to recognize any of the flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Armor on NPCs is super good and makes for incredibly boring fights and damage is swingy as hell with all the the 1d8s-with-no-modifier - when loving kobolds have effective 4 hp, you can have a whole lot of boring 'okay i inflict damage' moves going on. Monster armor shouldn't reduce damage below 1 at least.

The biggest crime for me is that it doesn't have the incentives to disagree with other players and get that interesting table banter going on - you are generally going to be the standard D&D group working together, and bonds don't really cut it as far as producing intraparty tension.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Although people may disagree, I think fellowship is a success in every area of the Dungeon world is a failure. Play directly making race equal class for all but three of the classes, but making you define your race completely uniquely, You let players be a type of thing while giving them a mechanical support to build it exactly their way. The only problem is that +blood is a extremely useful stat, and pushes people to resolve things with violence, but that too is very D&D. I’m sure if you had players consult on their character builds it wouldn’t be huge.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Unrelatedly, I was thinking of Modifying spirit of 77 so that act under pressure isn’t plus whatever stat. Since soul is only really useful to rocker characters, I was thinking of making it +Soul like in Cartel. At least in parties without rockers, this gives a lot more chance for players to either prioritize being good in a pinch or failing when the chips are down.
As it stands, rolling +soul is completely optional in a session.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Golden Bee posted:

Although people may disagree, I think fellowship is a success in every area of the Dungeon world is a failure. Play directly making race equal class for all but three of the classes, but making you define your race completely uniquely, You let players be a type of thing while giving them a mechanical support to build it exactly their way. The only problem is that +blood is a extremely useful stat, and pushes people to resolve things with violence, but that too is very D&D. I’m sure if you had players consult on their character builds it wouldn’t be huge.

All the stuff with players defining what their races are is very cool. Actually, basically all of Fellowship is cool. (Except how you can get a bunch of hirelings? I never really understood how that'd work in play).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

BinaryDoubts posted:

All the stuff with players defining what their races are is very cool. Actually, basically all of Fellowship is cool. (Except how you can get a bunch of hirelings? I never really understood how that'd work in play).

Like the biker leader playbook from AW?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The criticism of Dungeon World I'd seen before around these parts and which I think is a good summation of its issues is that PBTA works best when you're designing it to emulate a very specific genre of story, whereas Dungeon World is just trying to emulate D&D, which is anything but specific. Also, it clearly works to at least some degree for trying to get people weaned off D&D and I'd certainly rather play it than D&D, but I feel like it's close enough to D&D that people instinctively try to play it the same way, which doesn't work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

All of the above is true but I'll stand up for DW as being a great, if flawed, gateway to bring folks entrenched in Dungeons & Dragons into the world of narrative games.

This is true. I've run tons of DW demos for people who've never played anything but 3.Path, and the similarities to what they're familiar with helped people get it in like five minutes.

As for alternates, there's this DW hack/rewrite called Worlds of Aventure that was made to align DW with current PbtA understandings. No spell lists, simplified damage, stuff like that. I haven't played it, but it looks good.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I think someone is stealing Legacy 2e's cover art:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/229616/

ed: nevermind probably, the artist is listed as the same name. Still kinda weird though.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 24, 2017

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Foglet posted:

I think someone is stealing Legacy 2e's cover art:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/229616/

ed: nevermind probably, the artist is listed as the same name. Still kinda weird though.

Well, that makes a certain decision a lot easier. The cover was one of the art pieces we didn't have exclusive rights to, and to be honest it wasn't perfect. Time to commission more art!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

malkav11 posted:

The criticism of Dungeon World I'd seen before around these parts and which I think is a good summation of its issues is that PBTA works best when you're designing it to emulate a very specific genre of story, whereas Dungeon World is just trying to emulate D&D, which is anything but specific. Also, it clearly works to at least some degree for trying to get people weaned off D&D and I'd certainly rather play it than D&D, but I feel like it's close enough to D&D that people instinctively try to play it the same way, which doesn't work.
I know this is a oft repeated common wisdom on PbtA, but I don't actually think it's true.

Take Apocalypse World itself - you could run Fury Road, The Road, A Boy and His Dog, Turbo Kid, Fallout, Blame!, Thundarr the Barbarian, Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Reign of Fire... There's a very wide swath of post-apocalyptic literature, all with very different tones and scales, you could tap and easily see work in AW. It's just a matter of talking out the scale of what a move can accomplish and what sort of things are in theme to establish in fiction. You could also work further away and have a medieval or old west game without changing much at all.

You can see the same with other PbtA games, where tweaking some baseline agreed assumptions let's you cover a variety of inspirational works. Fellowship can give you Tolkien, but it can also give you Star Wars or .hack//sign... or to go very sideways a World War story.

There's a difference between those examples that's important. For AW, having it work properly requires a few key setting ideas - scarce resources, a hostile environment, and a lack of established authority to enforce the law. In Fellowship, it's the broad thematic elements that matter - the quest, the dark power to challenge, the strained alliances.

So with Dungeon World, it isn't that there's not a narrow enough genre in D&D to emulate, because PbtAs can be quite broad. Rather, it's that DW didn't sit down and devote enough thought to what key setting or thematic elements actually make D&D different from other fantasy. Because the reality is D&D has never been good at broad fantasy stories anyways. You can tell a lot of different stories in a lot of different settings with what it does have - from the Realms to Athas to Eberron to Spelljammer to Planescape - but the truth is you still come back to some core themes.

Frankly it's right in the name. Dungeons, and dragons. You explore dangerous complexes in remote places, and fight big scary monsters, and then go back the safety of civilization to celebrate your success. And there are actually a lot of different stories like that. Outside of D&D, pretty much anything episodic built around a team of people going somewhere dangerous works. Destiny, Diablo, Stargate, Star Trek, and so on.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Do you know if anyone has done, like, an overview of how PbtA has mechanically evolved and what DW and other titles did wrong and what interesting new developments happened in newer takes on it?

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Quidthulhu posted:

What’s the best system, then?

megane posted:

I would kill for a better "D&D but in PbtA" game.

may i introduce you to streets of marienburg?
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5K_Bqfr0dqcVUFZeWpsa0E5T0k/edit?pli=1

mixmastermind
Jan 18, 2014
So I'm pretty new to the greater PbtA world. What do you all think would be the best existing system to run something similar in style to The Warriors and especially Streets of Fire? Cool, low-powered, but slightly heightened in tone? Where a single revolver can tip the scales of a street fight, and a duel using sledgehammers doesn't seem out of place.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

mixmastermind posted:

So I'm pretty new to the greater PbtA world. What do you all think would be the best existing system to run something similar in style to The Warriors and especially Streets of Fire? Cool, low-powered, but slightly heightened in tone? Where a single revolver can tip the scales of a street fight, and a duel using sledgehammers doesn't seem out of place.

Blades in the Dark?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Spirit of '77 can be played like that, if you just don't use the various "70's Scifi" stuff which is pretty well encapsulated so you can do just that.

Blades in the Dark could also be hacked into that shape, it depends on what you want your playcycle to look like honestly.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That is still Dungeon World, with too many attributes and rolled damage and presumably the crap Defy Danger.

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

homullus posted:

That is still Dungeon World, with too many attributes and rolled damage and presumably the crap Defy Danger.

I'm making a hack of this and I'd like to know what you recommend in place of those things.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

HCFJ posted:

I'm making a hack of this and I'd like to know what you recommend in place of those things.

All of those things are better in their AW form. Static damage makes combat less swingy and makes threat selection easier; there's also some niche protection, such that the fighting-mans can consistently do the best in combat. Similarly, "Defy Danger" allowing you to use whatever attribute is dumb: only characters who have training for that sort of thing should be good at it. If you want to be a wizard who's got a little more real-world experience (and thus is better at acting under fire), it's at the expense of something else.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

homullus posted:

All of those things are better in their AW form. Static damage makes combat less swingy and makes threat selection easier; there's also some niche protection, such that the fighting-mans can consistently do the best in combat. Similarly, "Defy Danger" allowing you to use whatever attribute is dumb: only characters who have training for that sort of thing should be good at it. If you want to be a wizard who's got a little more real-world experience (and thus is better at acting under fire), it's at the expense of something else.

I'm going to elaborate on this a bit more, because multi-stat moves in PBTA games are my white whale and I don't want anyone to think they should never touch them under any circumstances.

So, multi-stat moves are fundamentally things you want a lot of character types to be good at in their own way. Take Finish Them from Fellowship. It can be used with any stat, because it's about the myriad ways you can defeat an enemy (combat or otherwise) and everyone being able to contribute is a key thing thematically, with each stat having a very clear set of situations where it would apply. For a more restricted example, take Talk Sense from Fellowship. (I have Fellowship handy right now and it has good examples, so sue me.) You can Talk Sense with Sense, Wisdom or Grace. Sense if you're talking about your plan because Sense is about being observant and planning things out, Wisdom if you're appealing to their emotions because Wisdom is about being attuned to people, Grace if you're getting by on flash or lying to people's faces because Grace is about being a tricky, flashy fucker. (I'm playing an rear end in a top hat elf in a Fellowship game, so I'm biased.) And this works, because those are all valid ways to convince people to do something for you and there isn't a good reason to split those off into separate moves.

Now, why does Defy Danger suck? Three reasons.
1) D&D stats just suck in general. The stats have vague, badly-balanced areas they cover, so a move that uses multiple stats are going to be vague and badly-balanced no matter what.
2) Dungeon World's moveset just kind of sucks. The moves are weird and don't cover much, so 75% of what you'll want to do is just going to default to "eh, try Defy Danger".
3) Defying Danger is just too broad for one single move. "When you defy danger, do X" could trigger at literally any time. I know I just mentioned a broad multi-stat move in the form of Finish Them, but "when you attempt to defeat an enemy you hold an advantage over" is so much more specific than just defying danger and the Fellowship stats and how they'd interact with a multi-stat move are so much more clearly defined than the six D&D stats.

Anyway, a pulpy adventure game like Dungeon World has a place for a multi-stat move that covers doing a bunch of pulpy nonsense like Defy Danger, but you're going to need to think about it more than they did with Defy Danger.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I like World Of Dungeon's approach of Defy Danger being the only move. Keeps things simple.

I think Hack and Slash and Defend are the worst offenders for moves, I'd really prefer a seize by force style thing

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Quidthulhu posted:

What’s the best system, then?
For what? Exactly what do you desire from your gaming experience? Do you want a super-realistic, highly crunchy, minutely-detailed simulation of "reality" (within whatever verisimilitude your game requires)? PbtA games are probably not for you. Do you want cinematic action and minimal lead-time between "idea" and "story?" The PbtA games might be right up your alley.

Or are you asking, "which is the best PbtA game?" Because the answer to that one is clear: Apocalypse World.

I've played a lot of different hacks of Apocalypse World by this point, and the difference between the good ones and the mediocre ones usually boils down to two simple (and related) factors: how well do the basic moves of the game support the theme/genre, and how "complete" are they (in other words, how many situations crop up where you feel like something should be up to chance, but none of the moves really fit). The most recent one we played was Cartel, which we pretty much all agreed was spot-on thematically (and all the playbook moves were great), but in which there was just some stuff missing. Turn to Violence and Propose a Deal were the worst offenders for lack of clarity, but the fact that there wasn't really a move for physical threats or intimidation (i.e. no analog for go aggro) seemed like a gaping hole in a game about Mexican drug dealers. And Pressure someone didn't really fit that bill, which left us kind of scratching our heads.

On the topic of Defy Danger, I find that the cardinal rule of "to do it, do it" salvages some of the move's worst offenses. Let the fiction set which stat you're using. If you're trying to dodge a falling boulder, that's not WIS or CON, it is clearly and obviously DEX. So as the DM, when the player says, "gently caress, I jump out of the way!" it's your job to say, "Great, roll+DEX!" And if their DEX sucks, well, mebbe they'll get some XP out of the deal. It's also totally cool to respond to, "gently caress it, I'll just stand my ground and take the boulder! Defy Danger with CON?" with, "No, rear end in a top hat, a boulder has just dropped on you. Take damage" because that fits the fiction, and YOU (the GM) ultimately decide when a move triggers and when it doesn't.

But that doesn't change the fact that the move is poorly designed and not at all helpful to DMs new to Dungeon World.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think the first step in making DW 2.0 is to redo the stats completely. There should be exactly four of them and they need to be carefully chosen instead of just copied from D&D (which had a terrible, boring-rear end stat array before it was blindly dumped into a system where stats work in a totally different way). And yeah, if you're going to have a basic move in the Act Under Fire / Defy Danger / Hold Steady / Adventure / Overcome family, it should sit on one particular stat, preferably the one that's least useful otherwise.

Personally I would start with something like Might, Wisdom, Skill, and Charisma, but obviously that's just a first shot.

As for the other basic moves, they... probably all need to be at least edited. Spout Lore and Discern Realities can probably be merged, Defend can be replaced with something more like the AW battle moves, and like the person a few posts above said, it's probably best to dump H&S and Volley in favor of a more carefully-worded Seize-By-Force-alike.

megane fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 26, 2017

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ilor posted:

On the topic of Defy Danger, I find that the cardinal rule of "to do it, do it" salvages some of the move's worst offenses. Let the fiction set which stat you're using. If you're trying to dodge a falling boulder, that's not WIS or CON, it is clearly and obviously DEX. So as the DM, when the player says, "gently caress, I jump out of the way!" it's your job to say, "Great, roll+DEX!" And if their DEX sucks, well, mebbe they'll get some XP out of the deal. It's also totally cool to respond to, "gently caress it, I'll just stand my ground and take the boulder! Defy Danger with CON?" with, "No, rear end in a top hat, a boulder has just dropped on you. Take damage" because that fits the fiction, and YOU (the GM) ultimately decide when a move triggers and when it doesn't.

But that doesn't change the fact that the move is poorly designed and not at all helpful to DMs new to Dungeon World.

You are correct that having the GM stick to their guns on it mostly fixes Defy Danger, but then it falls into the other problem with Defy Danger: over half the time +Dex is the only correct stat to Defy with, because people use it to try and dodge things. You will almost never roll +STR, +CON, or +WIS to Defy Danger in normal play. Every physical roll seems to somehow end up DEX, and sometimes you use INT for a puzzle, and sometimes you use CHA to fast talk, and that's all the Defy Dangers you get!

Which of course leads to:

megane posted:

I think the first step in making DW 2.0 is to redo the stats completely. There should be exactly four of them and they need to be carefully chosen instead of just copied from D&D (which had a terrible, boring-rear end stat array before it was blindly dumped into a system where stats work in a totally different way). And yeah, if you're going to have a basic move in the Act Under Fire / Defy Danger / Hold Steady / Adventure / Overcome family, it should sit on one particular stat, preferably the one that's least useful otherwise.

Personally I would start with something like Might, Wisdom, Skill, and Charisma, but obviously that's just a first shot.

As for the other basic moves, they... probably all need to be at least edited. Spout Lore and Discern Realities can probably be merged, Defend can be replaced with something more like the AW battle moves, and like the person a few posts above said, it's probably best to dump H&S and Volley in favor of a more carefully-worded Seize-By-Force-alike.

Which also ended up being basically how Fellowship's stats and moves got to be what they are now. It started as a DW 2.0 attempt that rapidly evolved into its own (but still somewhat related) thing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I’d go with Guts, Slick, Brains and Faith. Really it’s just adjectives for each basic class, which are your building blocks for classes.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

gnome7 posted:

You are correct that having the GM stick to their guns on it mostly fixes Defy Danger, but then it falls into the other problem with Defy Danger: over half the time +Dex is the only correct stat to Defy with, because people use it to try and dodge things. You will almost never roll +STR, +CON, or +WIS to Defy Danger in normal play. Every physical roll seems to somehow end up DEX, and sometimes you use INT for a puzzle, and sometimes you use CHA to fast talk, and that's all the Defy Dangers you get!
In some sense I agree, but I think it's incumbent upon the GM to put the players in situations where "I dodge" is not the obvious answer. Any time you're exposed to poison, for instance, would be Defy Danger with +CON. Air elemental trying to blow you over? Roll+STR. WIS is the hardest one to apply, because anything you're going to do with it is better handled by read a situation or read a person.

Like I said, I think Defy Danger is poorly designed (or perhaps poorly explained), but it's not completely useless.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

There's always blades against darkness, a bitd hack that's somewhere between dungeon world and torchbearer. Haven't played it but seems well done.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Ilor posted:

In some sense I agree, but I think it's incumbent upon the GM to put the players in situations where "I dodge" is not the obvious answer. Any time you're exposed to poison, for instance, would be Defy Danger with +CON. Air elemental trying to blow you over? Roll+STR. WIS is the hardest one to apply, because anything you're going to do with it is better handled by read a situation or read a person.

Like I said, I think Defy Danger is poorly designed (or perhaps poorly explained), but it's not completely useless.
I think DD has two problems. One stems from using D&D stats. Those have never been well defined in the first place, and their descriptions of intrinsic qualities of the character rather than intent/style approaches. Blood from Fellowship is a very different thing than Strength, for example. That makes it harder to adjudicate edge cases and hard to avoid those edge cases.

The other is that DD is broadened and designed in a way that it becomes the catch-all and the "permission to do cool things" move. It's clearly trying to crib from Do Something Under Fire, but that move is actually much narrower. Despite dungeon exploration being a key component of the genre concept, there aren't really basic moves for it - they get shoved into DD.

Plus Hack & Slash and Volley are written too discretely. In AW the various versions of combat moves clearly cover a lot of the maneuvering and tricks that should be part of the DW moves as well, but the DW moves aren't really written that way. So some of that gets inappropriately offloaded onto DD.

Ultimately it just goes back to the core issue with DW: it kept the wrong D&D sacred cows.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The one sacred cow that oughta be hamburger is the constant fighting. :colbert:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Ultimately it just goes back to the core issue with DW: it kept the wrong D&D sacred cows.
:agreed:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What I'd want from a PBtA D&D hack is something that provides the "cool moments" you remember from D&D.

The problem is, most of the ones that are D&D-specific are "and then our system mastery kicked in and we blew the fight/puzzle out of the water while the DM looked stunned the whole time" or "and then we rolled three twenties in a row" or the like. So you'd need some sort of meta-RPG where you're playing people playing D&D.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

wdarkk posted:

. So you'd need some sort of meta-RPG where you're playing people playing D&D.

Bingo, that's a gold idea

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

wdarkk posted:

So you'd need some sort of meta-RPG where you're playing people playing D&D.

I think Ewen Cluney's actually writing that as we speak.

At least, I know someone is, and I think it's Ewen.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
That's because D&D isn't about making cool stories, it's about making cool characters.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't remember if I linked this in this thread or not, and I'm too lazy to check, but this is a DW rewrite called "Worlds of Adventure" that seeks to bring DW more in line with current PbtA understanding.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CTggilyWU7NUG5neI_OzOSykOG29RldS/view

quote:

The Main Changes
● Alignments are now Drives.
In Worlds of Adventure, we wanted to give players the freedom to explore the holistic motivations of their characters, rather than
just their moral code, and Drives enable and reward that. This also opens up a wider range of moral choices during play, from
areas of moral grayness to more traditional absolutes of Good and Evil.
● Races are now Backgrounds
In Worlds of Adventure, players are encouraged to make their character whoever they want, including their race. Instead of tying
such an important character trait to an explicit mechanical benefit, the choice of race is now a Look option, and the existing
mechanics are now an expression of a character’s personal background (cultural, historical, or otherwise).
● Ability Scores (3-18) have been removed, and only their modifiers remain.
Although traditional ability scores have their strengths, they are often a sticking point for new RPG players and have little effect on
Dungeon World’s gameplay. As such, Worlds of Adventure removes them, keeping only the more important modifiers.
● Health Points are now hard-coded for each playbook, rather than being calculated from Ability Scores.
A natural extension of using simple modifiers rather than ability scores, static HP and cuts down on the unnecessary paperwork
needed to create a new character. Load is still calculated as a part of character creation, however, and still uses Strength.
● All Moves and Mechanics now use a single type of die: the d6.
In Worlds of Adventure, everything - from damage, to monsters, to foraging - now uses six-sided dice. This removes the complexity
of using multiple types of dice while still allowing for the variance that dice bring to the table. This is most noticeable during
combat, as using a d6 lessens the divide between classes and makes “+n” damage bonuses feel more impactful (be it from weapons,
from class choice, or from other factors).
● Bonds have been altered to better tie PCs to each other and to NPCs.
Bonds now exist as representations of shared experience, rather than as goals for the future. The applications for these bonds have
also been expanded upon, making them a greater part of the system and giving better support for PC-NPC bonds. Finally, Bonds are
now explicitly defined as a resource that the GM can manipulate by Using up Their Resources and Testing Their Bonds.
● Offer the players Principles, and the GM the Spotlight, to engender good play.
The GM is no longer alone in having principles to help guide play; players can now benefit from a similar list. The GM also gains a
new tool that assists with balance and clarity during turns: The Spotlight.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It still has spll lists and is drowning in +1 to a roll. GREAT barbarian tho.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

BlackIronHeart posted:

That's because D&D isn't about making cool stories, it's about making cool characters.

Depends on which version of D&D. That's more true of 3.5/Pathfinder, for example, but older versions of D&D really didn't have any way of making cool characters. You had your class, but that was basically it as far as interesting choices in character creation.

I've noticed that stories in older D&D tend to be about interesting interactions between rules and physics. Things like interesting uses for immovable rods and portable holes, the way spells would bounce on walls, and fun uses for monsters and traps.

I'm not sure how to translate that into games like PbtA, though. They exist in that liminal space between rules-as-physics and GM bullshitting that exists when you have a lot of edge cases that aren't strictly defined.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

potatocubed posted:

I think Ewen Cluney's actually writing that as we speak.

At least, I know someone is, and I think it's Ewen.

That sounds like something I want to show to my D&D group.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Worlds of Adventure is a step in the right direction, but there's definitely room for improvement. They didn't address the stats and basic moves, in particular.

But drat, you've got it right that the Barbarian is amazing. Hi, I love gold so much it lets me throw boulders half a mile with one hand, fight me.

We should have a PbtA Discord, I wanna run some pickup games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The best PbtA D&D hack is Blades Against Darkness, because the core of Blades in the Dark is much better suited to hacking into D&D than AW ever was.