Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CornHolio posted:

I got this game for Christmas. I was a big fan of No Man's Sky (even when it first came out) and I know this is a very different game, but that's how I had first heard of it.

I popped it in last night and tried the training missions, and was absolute complete loving garbage at almost all of them.

Do I need to get good at flying/docking/navigating, or can I jump in the game and do things while slowly getting better at that? I haven't played the game proper yet. I got frustrated with the first Horizons training mission (the guy says there are waypoints but there totally aren't waypoints, I found and destroyed the sentry guns but could not find the generator) and turned it off.

edit: PS4 btw. Any suggestions for a newb to this game, what I should do, what I shouldn't do as I learn?

Look on YouTube for videos by Obsidianant. He covers all platforms and is the best source of “how to in elite” that you can find and sounds like David Attenborough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Obsidian Ant is terrible and I can't stand listening to him.

Also, w/r/t Vulture Chat: Stop being so bland with your choices. Don't just fit two of the same weapon! The Vulture can fit almost any kind of weapon combo you can imagine. Multicannons are OK but boring. PACs and Beams are great. Frag Cannons are great. I personally fly with a fixed High-Capacity (6 Shot per Magazine) Corrosive Frag and a gimballed Efficient 5 Heal Beam and I am literally unstoppable.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Non-corrosive I'm guessing?

The opposite. Meta alloys have healing properties.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Also, w/r/t Vulture Chat: Stop being so bland with your choices. Don't just fit two of the same weapon! The Vulture can fit almost any kind of weapon combo you can imagine. Multicannons are OK but boring. PACs and Beams are great. Frag Cannons are great. I personally fly with a fixed High-Capacity (6 Shot per Magazine) Corrosive Frag and a gimballed Efficient 5 Heal Beam and I am literally unstoppable.

A Vulture with pacifier Frags and a 3b advanced plasma accelerator was one of the most fun ships I've ever played. It absolutely dunks big ships.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 27, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

chaosapiant posted:

Look on YouTube for videos by Obsidianant. He covers all platforms and is the best source of “how to in elite” that you can find and sounds like David Attenborough.

Or, join the Frogs and get on Discord.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I got this game for Christmas. I was a big fan of No Man's Sky (even when it first came out) and I know this is a very different game, but that's how I had first heard of it.

I popped it in last night and tried the training missions, and was absolute complete loving garbage at almost all of them.

Do I need to get good at flying/docking/navigating, or can I jump in the game and do things while slowly getting better at that? I haven't played the game proper yet. I got frustrated with the first Horizons training mission (the guy says there are waypoints but there totally aren't waypoints, I found and destroyed the sentry guns but could not find the generator) and turned it off.

edit: PS4 btw. Any suggestions for a newb to this game, what I should do, what I shouldn't do as I learn?

gently caress those training missions, get in. Learn to land by docking at every station you come to, or watch some people land on YouTube, or get a docking computer for your ship. Beyond docking, timing your exit from supercruise is probably the trickiest thing you'll do constantly. The best way to cheese it until you figure it out is to go full throttle at your target, decelerate to zero when youre about to pass it, and just do loops around it until you stop.

Buy new ships and parts, and strip your ships down before you sell them. Don't sell powerplants or warp drives unless you're really sure you don't want them.

Elite: Dangerous Database, great for finding ships, parts, commodities, stations that have amenities you need, etc.

Coriolis Shipyard, for looking at builds before you buy them, or building your dream ship.

Road to Riches, a map tool that will lead you to the closest valuable star systems to scan, great for fast-ish money and exploration cred

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CornHolio posted:

1. Never fly without a rebuy.
2. See rule one.
3. Start small and just do the take off, travel, docking, targeting and maybe the basic combat training. You can just wait to tackle the srv and horizon stuff later.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Inspector Hound posted:

Beyond docking, timing your exit from supercruise is probably the trickiest thing you'll do constantly. The best way to cheese it until you figure it out is to go full throttle at your target, decelerate to zero when youre about to pass it, and just do loops around it until you stop.

When you're within 500 light seconds throttle down to 75% and stay at that level until you dock. It makes the drop from supercruise incredibly simple.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GutBomb posted:

When you're within 500 light seconds throttle down to 75% and stay at that level until you dock. It makes the drop from supercruise incredibly simple.

This thing has been happening where my "real" speed skyrockets way higher than my throttle level when I do that, I've been blaming the gravity of the planets the stations are orbiting(?).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector Hound posted:

This thing has been happening where my "real" speed skyrockets way higher than my throttle level when I do that, I've been blaming the gravity of the planets the stations are orbiting(?).

As long as your throttle is set to 75%, you're good. It'll skyrocket then drop back down in time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

It has the large hardpoint for chewing through the hull once you have the shields down, but I'm terrible at combat so I have it for the jump range; without engineering I've got 40 ly.

I don't think I'm even going to take advantage of its jump range at all; I've been murder-hoboing around what seems to be colonized space and killing pirates and I'm not really sick of it. But the large hardpoint is extremely tempting, and the additional internal space apparently will let me get started with engineering since I can fit in a limpet collector on top of the usual military stuff.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
You guys are talking about manually timing your exit from supercruise. I have been using the autopilot for that (the blue section of my acceleration bar). Is that bad? Inefficient?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jubjub64 posted:

You guys are talking about manually timing your exit from supercruise. I have been using the autopilot for that (the blue section of my acceleration bar). Is that bad? Inefficient?

That's even less of an autopilot than the speed control in a car. It's just telling you at which point the ship is the most maneuverable. You can trust me, I've missed planets by thousands of light seconds by not paying attention a couple times, if you think that blue section is an autopilot you will be in trouble sooner or later.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jubjub64 posted:

One part:

Libluini posted:

That's even less of an autopilot than the speed control in a car. It's just telling you at which point the ship is the most maneuverable. You can trust me, I've missed planets by thousands of light seconds by not paying attention a couple times, if you think that blue section is an autopilot you will be in trouble sooner or later.

With the correction that in supercruise it's the optimal position for hitting the dropout point with the correct speed. In sub-light mode it's the most maneuverable point, yes.

Basically what you can do is set your throttle at that point and you'd never have to touch it again until you drop out at your destination. You still have to steer.

e: I have a bind for 75% throttle. It's great when you have short range hops and you just want to set it and forget it, then leave ED open in another window while you cruise to your point (and then do corrections as you get closer).

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 27, 2017

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I just cruise everywhere at 75%. You don't lose that much time by not setting it higher. It makes dropping out anywhere trivial and travel time isn't that much different even for long distances.

Stuff I found handy when starting.

Docking computer should be one of your first buys. You can still manually dock but this saves a lot of heartache for newbies.
Your FSD should be one of your first upgrades. It gives you a lot more travel options. Get it to A as soon as you can.
Buy as good a scanner as you can afford as soon as you can. It will give you a quick source of cash as you travel around. Every system you get to just scan at the star as you jump in and then trade it for cash as you go.
Do the community events even just a little to get within the100% contribution. For a new player this is a decent amount of starting cash.
Take your time with the game.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 27, 2017

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

iospace posted:

One part:

With the correction that in supercruise it's the optimal position for hitting the dropout point with the correct speed. In sub-light mode it's the most maneuverable point, yes.

Basically what you can do is set your throttle at that point and you'd never have to touch it again until you drop out at your destination. You still have to steer.

Sorry I think I described it badly. I'm talking about on the right hand side of the center display, the throttle gauge. If I keep it in the blue it will automatically accelerate and decelerate for me so that I am at the correct speed when I reach my destination and can drop out of SC. Is that just for beginners?
From what I am reading I should only use that when I am close to my destination, not the for the whole duration - is that right?

Edit: Ok I see. So its not that big of a difference how you do it then.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I only go full throttle these days for two reasons in supercruise:

1. throttling up for a jump (and then throttling down to 0 once the FSD engages)
2. navigating between stars in a system

In 2's case, it's "throttle up to 100, then when the scanner activates, watch for it to finish then drop down to 75 for the remainder of the area".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jubjub64 posted:

Sorry I think I described it badly. I'm talking about on the right hand side of the center display, the throttle gauge. If I keep it in the blue it will automatically accelerate and decelerate for me so that I am at the correct speed when I reach my destination and can drop out of SC. Is that just for beginners?
From what I am reading I should only use that when I am close to my destination, not the for the whole duration - is that right?

It will do that for everyone. You can do it for the whole duration if you want; most people do because, unless you're headed to Hutton, you're not saving much time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
7 second rule is pretty good for dropping out of supercruise. Basically keep your throttle maxed until the ETA hits 7, then go blue. The gravity will hammer your speed once you get near enough most of the time.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I'M LEARNING

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The bounty hunting CG should get completed tonight just before the deadline, I'm currently in the top 25% with about 12mil in bounties. Looking forward to trying out the FGS when they go rank-free for a week :cool:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Go full dakka. Also try the FAS. It is an awesome ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
If you want to shave off even more seconds of your super cruise, go full throttle and move out of the ecliptic before reorienting towards your target, so you won't have to fight slowdown by plowing straight through every planet and asteroid in your way.

Edit:

Of course this only works if there is a lot of poo poo you'll pass by. If the system is like, one sun, one planet, you obviously don't have to do this.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

CornHolio posted:

You can spend more time on the 6DOF fundamentals with your controller. I think there was a tutorial where you could just ignore it and go off and fly around asteroids? I've been experimenting with using flight assist off toggling as a part of fluid maneuvers lately...

Docking is always a bit tricky depending on local conditions, but you'll get the hang of it or fit heavier shields.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

docking computers are for pussies, imho. if you're trucking or running passengers landing is literally all you get to do

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

CornHolio posted:

I’m also on PS4, took me a while to get the hang of things - but I still overshoot destinations in friendship drive, and smash at full speed into docking ports.

I’d suggest not looking to hurry with the game, take your time and play around with controller options until you get it to how you like.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's been days since I docked last, and going to be a few more still until I do.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I’ve been doing the evacuation missions in my type 9, getting about 1.5 mil for each 5 minute circuit.

Now I’ve got 60 mil saved. Pythons any good for disappearing out into the nether?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Ratjaculation posted:

I’ve been doing the evacuation missions in my type 9, getting about 1.5 mil for each 5 minute circuit.

Now I’ve got 60 mil saved. Pythons any good for disappearing out into the nether?

A good but not great FSD jump range, but a YUUGE fuel tank relative to its fuel consumption per jump.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

boar guy posted:

docking computers are for pussies, imho. if you're trucking or running passengers landing is literally all you get to do

lol no, simmer down.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GutBomb posted:

Alternatively when your timer has exactly 7 seconds on it is the sweet spot.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I would second not buying docking computer especially on tiny newbie ships where this 1 cargo rack or whatever is a big deal. And doing it manually teaches you Extreme Docking faster, for occasions when you are drunk or in a hurry to land for various reasons.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Docking computer's fine for something vast like a trading Anaconda since losing out on 4 tons of cargo is no big deal compared to giving yourself a couple of minutes per run to do the various out-of-game busywork Elite encourages, but I wouldn't bother putting it on a small ship since they dock much faster already, are much more fun to dock in, and the slot you lose is a much larger deal proportionally.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Docking computer is a good way how to learn how to dock without one. For newbies trial and error docking is frustrating and you can still dock with a computer in there.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I mean considering the docking pad rotates when it lowers, why does it matter which way you face... ?!?!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Docking computer is a good way how to learn how to dock without one. For newbies trial and error docking is frustrating and you can still dock with a computer in there.

I don't know, for trial and error docking there is a tutorial. After you have done it a couple time you should be able to easily dock manually. In fact, the first time I used the docking computer I was shocked to see how inefficient it is. For most of my ships except for the very largest ones I prefer to crashland by myself. :colbert:

The game is sometimes even astonishingly generous about interpreting your ship's position, at least on PS4. (But that could be on PC, too. Haven't been back in civilized space for about a year now, so they could have easily adjusted this stuff without me noticing.) There were dozens of times were I half-assedly smashed my ship into the pad and was confused when the game just went "gently caress you, you're docked now". :v:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hybrid docking is the best, zoom through the mailslot and throttle down to let the computer do the rest*.

*Watch it try very hard not to smash you into the back wall

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like to try to mount the external camera on the lip of the mailslot or something and make docking be a bespoke cinematic.

chaosapiant posted:

Alternatively when your timer has exactly 7 seconds on it is the sweet spot.

alternatively blow past your target at full throttle, cut to blue and pull around to make sure nobody is locked on and about to pop an interdictor on you. good habits stick.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

limaCAT posted:

1. Never fly without a rebuy.
2. See rule one.
3. Start small and just do the take off, travel, docking, targeting and maybe the basic combat training. You can just wait to tackle the srv and horizon stuff later.

Perhaps a stupid question but what is a rebuy?

Colonial Air Force posted:

Or, join the Frogs and get on Discord.

I am on PS4, is there a PS4 group?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 27, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

CornHolio posted:

The tutorials are pretty garbage. Learn how to dock, take off and jump to supercruise/hyperspace. Learn the rest as you go and look up youtube videos for more advanced topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Perhaps a stupid question but what is a rebuy?

I am on PS4, is there a PS4 group?

When you lose your ship you can rebuy it for 5% of the cost.

• Locked thread