Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Oh poo poo, they're already giving those out? That'll teach me to stop checking the Paradox forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
those of us in the inner circle have been playing 2.0 for years

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bohemian Nights posted:

those of us in the inner circle have been playing 2.0 for years
I wasn't sure about the whole "release fake bad game" marketing strategy but it seems to have worked out. Can't wait for everyone to join us.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gowb posted:

Wiz said next week like last page. Jesus, read the thread

What, no he didn't

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What, no he didn't

I think we’re being punked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What, no he didn't

:thunk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm already playing Stellaris 𐤎.144 on my Independent Synaptic Constellation in Mercury orbit and it's hella you plebeians who still have a single physical body instead of an intellect-pattern distributed over the inner system need to get with the times.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm already playing Stellaris 𐤎.144 on my Independent Synaptic Constellation in Mercury orbit and it's hella you plebeians who still have a single physical body instead of an intellect-pattern distributed over the inner system need to get with the times.
Quick ftl exploit round Andromeda pulled me the 2019 release. I'm running it on the new matrioshka. If you want to swing by it's where that star isn't.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I've been running 139.7 because I just can't stand the changes they made to parsecs. Ruined the game for me.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Even with the extra CPU cycles the overmind allocated me I feel that the quantum foam simulation changes are too micro heavy. It's basically just an N dimesional grid to click upgrade on...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

Even with the extra CPU cycles the overmind allocated me I feel that the quantum foam simulation changes are too micro heavy. It's basically just an N dimesional grid to click upgrade on...

Yeah but triggering a vacuum catastrophe while you phase your empire into the shroud owns.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I’m still finishing my full galaxy game in 26.2, but it is really chugging. 52.4 added a jump to Andromeda and the Prethoryn home galaxy as Ascension invasion options.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Great. Now I'm picturing them using the Off-Map Empire they introduced in Jade Dragon in Stellaris Between the Scourge, the Sentinels, the potential of the Cybrex, there's a decent number of choices to make doing the end-game 'worth it'. The only question is what buffs/debuffs could they bring?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
How much does stellaris require on cpu/GPU/ram? I just wonder if I will get a huge performance increase from my old i5-2410m, 6gb ram, 1gb GeForce GT 540m to my new i7-7700, 16Gb ram, 4gb GeForce GTX 1050 TI. Also I was at 1366x768 before and now get 1080 max. Both laptops.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am having the weirdest early start to the game I have had. In my basic expansion I have seemed to have settled in the midst of where all the Chrystal aliens live, the automated dreadnought is also just flying around, and in the midst of all this I have already ran into a completely unclaimed gaia word.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

IAmTheRad posted:

How much does stellaris require on cpu/GPU/ram? I just wonder if I will get a huge performance increase from my old i5-2410m, 6gb ram, 1gb GeForce GT 540m to my new i7-7700, 16Gb ram, 4gb GeForce GTX 1050 TI. Also I was at 1366x768 before and now get 1080 max. Both laptops.

I think CPU is the bottleneck but but you should have much better performance regardless

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Will we get alternative victory conditions soon? Something like Civ's tech victory or something like that? Other than the ascension slots, obviously.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

IAmTheRad posted:

CPU is the bottleneck for sure. I upgraded my graphics card a year ago. While it allowed me to play Overwatch and Skyrim SE on max settings, Stellaris still chugged and chugged during the late game.

Artificer posted:

Will we get alternative victory conditions soon? Something like Civ's tech victory or something like that? Other than the ascension slots, obviously.

Victory conditions are a relic of the past. Wiz envisions a game with no victory conditions except what you deem appropriate aka play until you get bored. Personally, I like the idea because I kind of just go with the flow. My best laid plans always get Murphy's lawed so this works for me. I can see how others would not enjoy that though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Bloodly posted:

Great. Now I'm picturing them using the Off-Map Empire they introduced in Jade Dragon in Stellaris Between the Scourge, the Sentinels, the potential of the Cybrex, there's a decent number of choices to make doing the end-game 'worth it'. The only question is what buffs/debuffs could they bring?

It would definitely be cool to have more options to interact with precursors, or even extragalactic powers, but the endgame crises unambiguously want you dead. Not much potential for talking there, unless you want the privilege of being eaten last.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

I am having the weirdest early start to the game I have had. In my basic expansion I have seemed to have settled in the midst of where all the Chrystal aliens live, the automated dreadnought is also just flying around, and in the midst of all this I have already ran into a completely unclaimed gaia word.

Man, you're lucky. I had starts like this, but with the Gaia-worlds guarded by even more and beefier crystal aliens. :v:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, still, having a new laptop that I got as a gift (not from me to myself, from someone else to me), and being able to beef up the game settings a bit and still get a silky smooth framerate will be amazing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Holy crap I was screwing around with the Trek New Horizons mod for want of anything else to do and I saw they have buildings that do ground-to-space damage?! A) How have they done this wizardry B) Why haven't you done this yet Paradox C) Why isn't this in standalone form like the most popular type of mod that exists??

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Holy crap I was screwing around with the Trek New Horizons mod for want of anything else to do and I saw they have buildings that do ground-to-space damage?! A) How have they done this wizardry

Cleverly scripted events.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

IAmTheRad posted:

The game is almost entirely bottlenecked by the CPU, and the engine relies pretty heavily on one core, so while switching from an i5 to an i7 isn't going to produce amazing results, switching to a CPU with much higher clock speeds is going to.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how often do the fallen empire actually give out gifts if you please them?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

So how often do the fallen empire actually give out gifts if you please them?

I've only ever had each one give me a single gift, because usually I kill them before I find out if they give more.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I've gotten three from a nice caretaker FE.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
The crazy robots have showered me with gifts of energy/minerals or ships every 20 years in my current multi game after they determined I was ~CoMpLiAnT~ when I agreed to colonize a random (off climate for my species) poo poo hole planet.

Shine on you crazy robot diamonds.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I've played enough vanilla Stellaris to get bored with it for now. I know the Cherryh update will effectively be a new game, but I'd like to try my hand at playing some mods because a) we don't know when it will come out b) I suspect the Cherryh update will have extensive enough changes it will take a while for mods to be updated. However, I'm not sure how mod compatibility really operates in Paradox games; I know how much of a pain it can be manage in Bethesda games.

Specifically, I'm interested in the Guilli Planet Modifier mod, the LEX mod, and the Dynamic Political Events mod. It seems that the latter two both edit events; will that make them incompatible? Are there utilities for modding and creating merged patches like in Bethesda's games? Or is Stellaris pretty much set up so you can really run a single mod that affects a single area at a time?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've played enough vanilla Stellaris to get bored with it for now. I know the Cherryh update will effectively be a new game, but I'd like to try my hand at playing some mods because a) we don't know when it will come out b) I suspect the Cherryh update will have extensive enough changes it will take a while for mods to be updated. However, I'm not sure how mod compatibility really operates in Paradox games; I know how much of a pain it can be manage in Bethesda games.

Specifically, I'm interested in the Guilli Planet Modifier mod, the LEX mod, and the Dynamic Political Events mod. It seems that the latter two both edit events; will that make them incompatible? Are there utilities for modding and creating merged patches like in Bethesda's games? Or is Stellaris pretty much set up so you can really run a single mod that affects a single area at a time?

It's only if two mods will conflict that you might find a compatibility patch. It's not like Bethesda games where you need to merge patches. Just think of it like you're adding new lines to the events file, but it doesn't completely replace the file.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

prometheusbound2 posted:

Guilli's is loving ace fyi. As IAmTheRad says, mods tend to play reasonably nicely together, and compatches are commonplace where they are needed. The major exception is total overhauls but there's not many of those around anyway.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

It's only if two mods will conflict that you might find a compatibility patch. It's not like Bethesda games where you need to merge patches. Just think of it like you're adding new lines to the events file, but it doesn't completely replace the file.

I checked out that mod manager someone posted a while back and it looks like it has some kind of conflict resolution system, which I haven't really played with but would be fantastic if it works.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

prometheusbound2 posted:

Try the New Horizons mod. I spent like 40+ hours as the Klingon Empire with a three way off and on war between the Federation and Romulans until the Borg invaded our part of the galaxy and wrecked all of us. We I ultimately beat them and was able to integrate the remnants of the Federation and Romulan Empire into mine. :getin:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

New Horizons is a fantastic mod with surprisingly high production values and professional talent for a mod. It's my go-to when I get bored of vanilla Stellaris during the lull between official updates. Especially a fan of it's ship design and combat - it's all about small numbers of powerful ships, not huge fleets of chaff.

My only gripe is you better be one of those people who don't sperg out about optimization and are okay just throwing colonies into a sector and being done with it. As the Federation, at least, things balloon very quickly with colony management.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Bramble posted:

New Horizons is a fantastic mod with surprisingly high production values and professional talent for a mod. It's my go-to when I get bored of vanilla Stellaris during the lull between official updates. Especially a fan of it's ship design and combat - it's all about small numbers of powerful ships, not huge fleets of chaff.

My only gripe is you better be one of those people who don't sperg out about optimization and are okay just throwing colonies into a sector and being done with it. As the Federation, at least, things balloon very quickly with colony management.

New Horizons makes me wish there were enough fans of Perry Rhodan interested in video games to make a similar mod, but for us. I'd help with programming and poo poo, but I'm utterly worthless at graphical work and ships in the PR-universe work and look differently enough to create huge amounts of graphics work. The only nice thing would be the game already coming with a Korvette-class at the start. And that's were the similarities between both universes end.

:Staring-at-huge-book-with-line-drawings-of-PR-ships-while-sighing:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Artificer posted:

I liked the suggestion that players would get assigned ethic based goals at start, it was for mp but could work nicely for sp so one have something to work up against.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Bramble posted:

The Borg get a megaproject that will destroy a colony, giving you some resources and automatically relocating the pops on it to other planets in your empire. It makes colony management much easier because you can just eat all the lovely planets you capture and don't want to bother with.

Also, you can use it on enemy planets in war :getin:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
double post

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Libluini posted:

New Horizons makes me wish there were enough fans of Perry Rhodan interested in video games to make a similar mod, but for us. I'd help with programming and poo poo, but I'm utterly worthless at graphical work and ships in the PR-universe work and look differently enough to create huge amounts of graphics work. The only nice thing would be the game already coming with a Korvette-class at the start. And that's were the similarities between both universes end.

:Staring-at-huge-book-with-line-drawings-of-PR-ships-while-sighing:

PR is an endless source of entertainment, and not just because the series has been active for 170 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm the guy trying to cut off a robot's oxygen supply by applying pressure to its windpipe

• Locked thread