Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The rears were cake, honestly. Helped that unlike the front I didn't need to replace any bushings. Just lift it up, pull the sway bar links, pull the shocks, then use a floor jack to lift one side of the axle up and make the other droop.

I sold the old budget boost and bought a set of Zone extended rear sway bar links because the factory ones are way too short for this much lift. I might replace the front links since their bushings are pretty fried.

JKS track bar showed up yesterday. Might try to throw it on before the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Good deal, I'll be interested in your thoughts, as I'm getting one in a pay or two. Hope the install isn't too interesting!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Still haven't done either the JKS trackbar or the rear sway bar links, even though I've got them both sitting here.

I did manage to get the garage cleaned out enough (again) to take the C10 for a spin. Noticed things rattling a bit more than usual and I knew the seat mounting wasn't great so I crawled under the truck to see what needed to be tightened...

One of the bolts holding the transmission crossmember in was nearly completely backed out. :stare: It's one of four so a grand total of nothing would've happened, but the other three were also pretty loose. They also didn't have any sort of locking mechanism so I upgraded all four to grade 8 and added some lockwashers. I'm going to do the same for the bolts holding the seats because clearly nylock nuts (which those have) are not sufficient.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Lock washers are basically useless. Get some Nordlocks or thread locking compound instead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nord locks actually work. Was the only thing that stopped the CV bolts from backing out on my bus.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

sharkytm posted:

Lock washers are basically useless. Get some Nordlocks or thread locking compound instead.

That Loctite stick is the poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wallaka posted:

That Loctite stick is the poo poo.

:doh: I even have one of these.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nord locks actually work. Was the only thing that stopped the CV bolts from backing out on my bus.

I spec them to keep $150,000 camera bolts from backing out. They don't loosen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I also finally noticed that the 47-year-old rubber cab mounts are completely toasted. Honestly I'd never looked that closely at them but they are just gone. At least that should be a simple matter of supporting the cab, remove bolt, replace rubber, replace bolt.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or support cab, inject windo-weld, continue supporting cab for six hours while it cures.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The mounts are (or, were) solid chunks of rubber already. Apparently I haven't looked all that closely at them in ages, but they're supposed to look like this (not my photo):

There's probably a half-inch gap between the frame bracket and the lower rubber mount :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ah, my bad. I thought it was more of the "enclosed bushing in a tube"-style.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I keep getting a whiff of coolant smell in the WJ about half the time when I floor it, but it still passes a pressure test. I can't find any leaks underhood. I can't decide if it's either a tiny heater core leak or if my drat head gasket is blown.

I suppose I can bypass the heater core and rule it out. Both of these jobs suck rear end but at least the heater core is cheap. If the heads come off this engine, they're getting rebuilt, it's getting a new timing set, and maaaaybe a new oil pump too, and then I'm at nearly $2k in parts and services.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Though now that I think about it... If it was the heater core, it should smell windows up or down.

I'm pretty sure this engine is getting head gaskets. Damnit.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The coolant cap will vent air occasionally as the coolant expands, possibly more than it should, if old and worn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Radiator cap is recent-ish (the one that was on it when I bought it wasn't venting enough) and it's not puking anything liquid out of the overflow tank.

Suppose it wouldn't hurt to throw a new one at it just in case.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You didn't say you were adding coolant, so I assume it's not losing a noticeable amount either?

I'd run one of those tests for combustion gases in the coolant, and let that be the decider, personally.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Very small amounts of coolant, like half the overflow tank every month. I've got one of those block testers, I'll give it another go.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No shortage of flex on the new lift:

Maybe a bit much, actually :v:

Going up the waterfall, no problems. Coming down the waterfall, the driver's side coil decided to vacate the Jeep. Thus, the hellaflush shot in the middle, and the spring chilling on the rock with a drink. Spring retainers are now next on The List.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That had to make a fun noise. So uh, how'd you get the Jeep home?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It was a thump, followed by clang-clang-clang of the spring rolling down the rocks. My dashcam actually managed to capture the audio so I'll post that when I have time to process the video. Everyone pushing on the Jeep as it's coming down the hill was doing their part to keep the wheel from eating the bumper / fender liner too hard (and succeeded in doing so).

Repair was remarkably easy, and I honestly ended up doing almost fuckall of the work. Someone had a high lift jack, we just had to get it up high enough to droop that side down and pop the spring back in.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Limit straps?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

Limit straps?

If I still pop them loose with spring retainers, then yes.

Found this video that I had apparently never finished editing on Youtube. From earlier in the year, trying to climb a hill of cinders and not quite pulling it off. This is what made me get off of the mostly-worn Pathfinder S ATs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aMsrX-dDiA

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dashcam footage of the waterfall, 4:20 :420: for spring clanging action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouAQyVVA1ZA&t=260s

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That's hilarious, I love the lady cracking up in the background when it happens.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Your offroading WJ videos really light a fire under my butt to install a lift. My new job has a smashed overland WJ and I was given a green light to parts snatch. What brand of lift did you use again?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I went with the Jeepforum "Kolak lift". Here's what I've got on mine that is not stock or stock-replacement:

OME HD springs - 2936 front, 2945 rear
Bilstein 5100 shocks - 24-188197 front, 33-236957 rear
JKS adjustable track bar for the WJ
Moog SSD107 steering stabilizer
JK Moab wheels and 1.5" spacers - without the spacers these tires rubbed on the upper spring mounts when flexing. Stock WJ wheels might not need them since I think they have a different backspace.
LT245/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires (31x10)
Moderate trimming on the front bumper and fender liner to eliminate rubbing when reversing at full lock - still have the fog lights and windshield washer tank so it's nowhere near an extreme trim
Kevin's Offroad rock sliders
Kevin's Offroad transfer case skid

As noted, this lift really needs spring retainers and/or limit straps if you disconnect the front swaybar. Stock upper and lower control arms and it still drives great on the street, honestly. I've got the IRO upper and lower retainers on order, and I'll measure out for either bump stop extensions or limit straps when I get those installed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dashcam video of the full run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf5rra3icbo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Worked on the Jeep over the past couple weeks:

New power steering pump (due to pulley failure), new pressure hose, new thermostat, new thermostat housing, and new heater core hoses. Lots of "remove X to access Y" thanks to modern cars.

On the other end of the spectrum, where nearly everything you need is directly accessible - C10 cab mounts.

This is at rest. Note the gap between the lower mount and the frame. The rear mounts were both like this, the fronts still had some tension but not much. We're talking very nearly 48 year old rubber here, so nothing to be surprised at.

Of course, here's where I get to be all smug as gently caress about this being an Arizona truck.

That's one of the rear bolts, came right out with my 3/8 Milwaukee M12 Fuel impact. Other rear was just as easy. These go threads-up into a captive nut welded into the back of the cab behind the gas tank, so I'm glad they both came out and went back in without a fuss.

The fronts were only mildly trickier and definitely messier since the threads are exposed. The front mounts have bolts that drop in from the top of the cab floor, threads-down through the frame mount. Depending on whoever welded up the cab at the factory, these bolts were secured with either absolutely nothing, or a small spot weld, or a giant puddle weld. The latter is great if you don't want to put a wrench on the topside, but not so great if you want to replace the hardware. I ended up with spot welds, since that same 3/8 impact broke the welds almost immediately. Pulling the carpet back enough to access the head is easy, so that wasn't too big of a deal. Made it easy to replace those bolts too.

Now, using the side trim as a reference, the back of my cab is no longer an inch lower than the bed!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Not gonna lie, kinda hate you. I've got new bolts in the parts-store baggies that look worse than that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I went ahead and reused them anyway. The replacement bolts in the kit don't have the pointed nose and they have fewer threads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finally got the bed of the truck (and the rest of the garage) cleaned out enough to run some errands with it today. I always forget just how much fun it is sticking it in L1 and doing a WOT pull. The noise that thing makes both on and off the throttle.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Show us with a video?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Show us with a video?

:fh::f5:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I haven't driven it since, its a pain to pull it out of the garage with some of the presents we're hiding from the kiddo in the garage.

I have been fighting a stupid leak on the upper radiator hose on the Jeep. I've never had a hose be so consistently hard to seal. I've seen some people recommend permatex aviation form-a-gasket, and that seems like it might actually be working.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't driven it since, its a pain to pull it out of the garage with some of the presents we're hiding from the kiddo in the garage.

I have been fighting a stupid leak on the upper radiator hose on the Jeep. I've never had a hose be so consistently hard to seal. I've seen some people recommend permatex aviation form-a-gasket, and that seems like it might actually be working.

Sometimes if you crank down the clamp to hard on an older hose is will cut a little. And it almost always does it on the side that is the hardest to see. And were you talking about doing the hose upgrade or did you? I'm almost positive your the one who told me the WK is a direct upgrade for the WJ

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That was the heater hoses, no idea if a WK upper radiator hose fits too. Seems like most of the aftermarket upper hoses are slightly larger in diameter than the OE one. The hose in question is only about a month old.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

That was the heater hoses, no idea if a WK upper radiator hose fits too. Seems like most of the aftermarket upper hoses are slightly larger in diameter than the OE one. The hose in question is only about a month old.

Ahh that's what it was. My memory is meh at best. Any chance of finding one at the junkyard for trying? Is an OE much more expensive then after market? Also sometimes a little black sealant might help. Its not a perfect method or what's recommended but I've seen it work .

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So far it seems to be holding up with the non-hardening form-a-gasket thrown in there.

Just ordered some 1 7/8" longtube headers for the C10. :getin:

Along with some fresh ACDelco gaskets for the flange, and some cheap boot covers for the plug wires just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

So far it seems to be holding up with the non-hardening form-a-gasket thrown in there.

Just ordered some 1 7/8" longtube headers for the C10. :getin:

Along with some fresh ACDelco gaskets for the flange, and some cheap boot covers for the plug wires just in case.

gently caress yeah! :black101:

Are you just running the iron manifolds now?

Edit: Holy gently caress, does that place seriously have swap headers for the Nova for $220?! :psyboom:

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 27, 2017