Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was a longsword person for most of DeS (Blueblood sword with a high luck stat and Magical Weapon utterly destroys that game), but DS1 and 2 was Claymore all the way, and my first run through BB was Ludwig's, which is Longsword + Greatsword.

As I mentioned/whined about, I wanted to break away from that for DS3, but I found the Claymore and... oh boy, here I go killing again. It's currently at +3 (when do you start getting Large Shards? I think I've found 2 total) and just took me through all of the Cathedral.

Speaking of, is the Bedchamber bonfire the closest to the boss down here? 'cause it's a hell of a run if I need to retry this boss.

You probably won't need to retry that boss, but it is the closest bonfire, yes.

As for large shards, it is possible to get exactly enough for +5 before the next boss, but you need to know exactly how to do it, beyond that is where they start showing up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ThermosAquaticus posted:

You probably won't need to retry that boss, but it is the closest bonfire, yes.

Not only have I died several times on my runs but I cannot beat it without switching to a weapon with widest swings possible

:v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

you were lied to, aside from one change everything they changed in sotfs is better

I'd argue that a few areas were made worse (No-Man's Wharf, Iron Keep), but everything else improved the game a lot. I'll go on record as saying that SotFS is my favorite of the three main Dark Souls titles.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

you were lied to, aside from one change everything they changed in sotfs is better

This is absolutely not true, Heide's Fortress is a hellish slog, the walk to Drangleic is even more obnoxious and NG+ just fills areas with more and more enemies to the point of excess. Additionally, one of the best armors of the game is now reduced to being a rare drop from red phantoms.

Having all the DLC integrated into the game is neat, but Scholar creates new problems even as it solves a few others.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
SotfS is Kaizo Dark Souls.

Oh you wanted chest? NO CHEST! ONLY DRAGON!

Hope you like scrounging for branches of yore.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Vermain posted:

I'd argue that a few areas were made worse (No-Man's Wharf, Iron Keep), but everything else improved the game a lot. I'll go on record as saying that SotFS is my favorite of the three main Dark Souls titles.

i don't remember any changes to wharf, what's different? iron is much, much better though because it makes you play quite differently and also makes beating the demon man for the extra bonfire actually worth doing.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is absolutely not true, Heide's Fortress is a hellish slog, the walk to Drangleic is even more obnoxious and NG+ just fills areas with more and more enemies to the point of excess. Additionally, one of the best armors of the game is now reduced to being a rare drop from red phantoms.

Having all the DLC integrated into the game is neat, but Scholar creates new problems even as it solves a few others.

the only changes to heide's are the dragon (interesting) and four heide knights that you don't even need to fight. that not exactly a slog tbh but also fighting things is fun to me in this game so i don't really understand that criticism. thing only thing i recall them adding to drangleic is a couple statues that you don't even have to fight? what else was added? what armor are you talking about? i'm assuming i never got if you have to grind phantoms so that's indeed dumb as hell.

the only actually bad change is adding those red phantoms to the gutter which completely ruins the whole point of it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i don't remember any changes to wharf, what's different? iron is much, much better though because it makes you play quite differently and also makes beating the demon man for the extra bonfire actually worth doing.

the only changes to heide's are the dragon (interesting) and four heide knights that you don't even need to fight. that not exactly a slog tbh but also fighting things is fun to me in this game so i don't really understand that criticism. thing only thing i recall them adding to drangleic is a couple statues that you don't even have to fight? what else was added? what armor are you talking about? i'm assuming i never got if you have to grind phantoms so that's indeed dumb as hell.

the only actually bad change is adding those red phantoms to the gutter which completely ruins the whole point of it.

Heide's has more stone statue guys and it has the passive knights who become not passive after you clear one of the bosses. The dragon is especially awful because he's just squatting at the end of a gauntlet and can vaporize you really easily and you basically have one shot to dash close enough to avoid his flames before he's active and spamming it.

Once all the knights become active, that area becomes a goddamn slog.

Iron Keep is so atrocious, there's way too many knights and while it's true you don't have to snipe guys anymore, you still have to deal with a very unfun gauntlet.

The Undead Crypt's final stretch has two Dragonriders added for no loving reason. The watery area before the Lost Sinner is atrocious on NG+. Most of the enemy additions just add more enemies, not more interesting enemy encounters. Combat by itself in Souls games is sort of boring.

I'm talking about the crusader armor that you used to be able to find in the Undead Crypt.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I haven't fought an enemy on the run to Veldstadt since the first time I reached him. Why on earth would you?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think they added two dragonriders to undead crypt because it's really cool. And also, it makes sense for the king's greatest soldiers to be there protecting him, not just a swarm of syan's knights.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm at the Crucifixion Forest bonfire; I managed to get to the Farron Keep one but decided to come back and finish exploring the forest until ran into the Crystal Sage.

So, here's my question: Is the game stacked against the player even more so than usual for souls games? I'm at level 30 right now (including like 5 levels I got from which apparently I shouldn't have since I now look like beef jerky), and I'm feeling like everything's a struggle. Levels right now are around the 6k souls point, and enemies are giving me... ~80 souls each. I ran from the Road of Sacrifices to the Crucifixion bonfire and got only ~4k souls, even after killing the NPC and the two Giant Enemy Crabs.

Every enemy attack's hitbox feels like it lasts juuuuust enough to catch me when I come off my roll if I read them wrong and roll in the wrong direction, ran into an rear end in a top hat with a club that either caught me with the tail end of his swipe of guard broke me in a single hit (and the proceeded to critical my face) who could attack and roll forever, ran into dudes who could shoot spells faster than I can swing, and the list goes on.

I was planning on rolling mostly towards dex and using fun/weird weapons, but I've fallen back to longsword (the ice one for now) and board because it's the only thing that's not getting me murdered instantly.

Could be just a severe case of Git Gud or confirmation bias on my part (or just good old whining), but I'm having a bitch of a time and I'm no newcomer to the souls series. :(

How much vigor do you have? When I start a new character, the first things I do is get my stats high enough to use my weapon of choice, infuse that weapon with a raw stone, and then pump vigor to 27 (for a nice even 1000 HP).

Make sure you're wearing armor in every equipment slot, even if it's lovely, because just equipping any armor gives you a flat amount of damage reduction. If you leave a slot empty you'll take a lot more damage than you need to.

Most humanoid enemies in the early game can be easily dealt with by stagger locking them to death. Always be two-handing, because that increases your stagger power significantly. Keeping your shield up, especially against a dude with a giant loving club, is just asking to get guard broken. The best defense is a good offense.

And yeah, :gitgud:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Heide's has more stone statue guys and it has the passive knights who become not passive after you clear one of the bosses. The dragon is especially awful because he's just squatting at the end of a gauntlet and can vaporize you really easily and you basically have one shot to dash close enough to avoid his flames before he's active and spamming it.

Once all the knights become active, that area becomes a goddamn slog.

Iron Keep is so atrocious, there's way too many knights and while it's true you don't have to snipe guys anymore, you still have to deal with a very unfun gauntlet.

The Undead Crypt's final stretch has two Dragonriders added for no loving reason. The watery area before the Lost Sinner is atrocious on NG+. Most of the enemy additions just add more enemies, not more interesting enemy encounters. Combat by itself in Souls games is sort of boring.

I'm talking about the crusader armor that you used to be able to find in the Undead Crypt.

there's actually one less stone knight (replaced with a dragon) all the other ones are the exact same. there's uhhh four guys who fight you? not really a big deal tbh. the iron keep thing is fun to me because i like when they push you outside of your comfort zone but just like the heide thing i guess that's personal preference. again i like the dragon riders personally, it owns to fight all that poo poo. "combat is boring in souls games" have you considered that maybe you don't actually like the games since that's uhhh most of the games? the crusader armor is dropped by heide knights which respawn not red phantoms so that's slightly better but grindy poo poo is always bad imo.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm at the Crucifixion Forest bonfire; I managed to get to the Farron Keep one but decided to come back and finish exploring the forest until ran into the Crystal Sage.

So, here's my question: Is the game stacked against the player even more so than usual for souls games? I'm at level 30 right now (including like 5 levels I got from which apparently I shouldn't have since I now look like beef jerky), and I'm feeling like everything's a struggle. Levels right now are around the 6k souls point, and enemies are giving me... ~80 souls each. I ran from the Road of Sacrifices to the Crucifixion bonfire and got only ~4k souls, even after killing the NPC and the two Giant Enemy Crabs.

Every enemy attack's hitbox feels like it lasts juuuuust enough to catch me when I come off my roll if I read them wrong and roll in the wrong direction, ran into an rear end in a top hat with a club that either caught me with the tail end of his swipe of guard broke me in a single hit (and the proceeded to critical my face) who could attack and roll forever, ran into dudes who could shoot spells faster than I can swing, and the list goes on.

I was planning on rolling mostly towards dex and using fun/weird weapons, but I've fallen back to longsword (the ice one for now) and board because it's the only thing that's not getting me murdered instantly.

Could be just a severe case of Git Gud or confirmation bias on my part (or just good old whining), but I'm having a bitch of a time and I'm no newcomer to the souls series. :(

building on what roboto said, you can avoid doing a lot of early damage stat boosting by infusing your weapon raw (or fire but then you can't buff it) for a flat damage increase that's quite solid for the early game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

there's actually one less stone knight (replaced with a dragon) all the other ones are the exact same. there's uhhh four guys who fight you?

After you beat one of the area's bosses, all of the Heide Knights become aggressive.

Literally most areas in the game that got stuff redone just got enemies added for that sake. There are ogres patrolling in the Fort of Fallen Giants, so that forest path is literally just two large rooms stuffed with enemies, now stuffed with even more enemies. It doesn't become more interesting just because there are more things for me to hit with my sword.

It does little to actually improve any of the core design problems in Dark Souls 2, and as far as I can tell it has made a number of areas worse. The game starts to lean on the fact that you can depopulate areas because a lot of boss run backs just have stupid amounts of bad guys to deal with on the way. It's not great, it highlights the combat but the combat isn't at its best when you are facing down groups of enemies.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

"combat is boring in souls games" have you considered that maybe you don't actually like the games since that's uhhh most of the games? the crusader armor is dropped by heide knights which respawn not red phantoms so that's slightly better but grindy poo poo is always bad imo.

Combat is good in Souls game because combat mechanics are by and large simple. You hit, dodge or block. There are only a few combos, there's not a huge amount of depth to the combat itself, but there's a HUGE amount of variety in the enemy and boss encounters, so the simple combat enables you to respond in a variety of ways to enemy attacks. Most of Souls is exploration, and combat in these games is at its best when you are facing single enemies. The Insolent Armor in SotfS is now only dropped by the red phantoms that spawn when you light the big torches in the area.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People complaining about too many enemies in DS2 is one of the biggest indicators that they're actually really bad at Souls games, and their idea of "fun" is slowly creeping around with their shield up and poking at solo enemies when they see a massive opening.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I feel there shouldn't be a proper way of playing souls games and many people suggest 2h weapon + rolling is the fun way. Well in DS1 I had to decide whether to block, parry or just roll away. DS3 just decided for you that you're gonna be rolling a whole bunch.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

People complaining about too many enemies in DS2 is one of the biggest indicators that they're actually really bad at Souls games, and their idea of "fun" is slowly creeping around with their shield up and poking at solo enemies when they see a massive opening.

1v1 me bich

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only improper way to play Dark Souls is to complain on the internet about not being able to play it the way you want to play it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Am I completely incapable of adapting my tactics to face a new kind of challenge? No, it's the game that's wrong."

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Vic posted:

I feel there shouldn't be a proper way of playing souls games

W R O N G
only my exact way is good everything is fat baby nonsense

Fister Roboto posted:

"Am I completely incapable of adapting my tactics to face a new kind of challenge? No, it's the game that's wrong."

honestly most of the complaints of these games boil down to this. and if i'm being fair this was my initial problem with bloodborne, i refused to learn form what i was doing and kept trying to play it like dark souls 1 and then hated it for months.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like rolling and using fast one-handers and DS3 never actually requires me to change this up lol

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like rolling and using fast one-handers and DS3 never actually requires me to change this up lol

I like rolling and using big slow two-handers and DS3 kind of owned me at first but eventually I got gud and find the game to be easier that way since it's a playstyle I click with.

Find what you think feels more powerful and easier for you and that's your playstyle. I used to think dex builds with warden twinblades were easymode, but I could really not make it work as well as I wanted to when I tried it. I still find using a Great Club or other similar greathammer to be easier for the way I naturally play. Same as I almost exclusively use shotguns and arcing grenade launchers in FPSs. It just fits the way I'm wired and therefore feels better than other options.

Pyromancy is still pretty easy mode though.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Apparently dex/luck builds with warden twin blades are the real easy mode.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was a longsword person for most of DeS (Blueblood sword with a high luck stat and Magical Weapon utterly destroys that game), but DS1 and 2 was Claymore all the way, and my first run through BB was Ludwig's, which is Longsword + Greatsword.

As I mentioned/whined about, I wanted to break away from that for DS3, but I found the Claymore and... oh boy, here I go killing again. It's currently at +3 (when do you start getting Large Shards? I think I've found 2 total) and just took me through all of the Cathedral.

Speaking of, is the Bedchamber bonfire the closest to the boss down here? 'cause it's a hell of a run if I need to retry this boss.

Tagged for minor spoiling, just in case:
The ashes you need for the merchant NPC to sell large shards is in the cathedral area.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 27, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

huh? i played all the souls games the same way (two handing swords). am i supposed to have to change how i play during a run???

the worst part about scholar is that it made explicit one of the coolest gameplay/story integration things they did (why the first boss is so pissed when he sees you).

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What is the explicit tell? I've only played SotFS and I don't remember anything explicit. I'm really lovely about reading item descriptions though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they changed the last giant soul to say:

quote:

Soul of the surviving giant, who was bound below the Forest of the Giants.
The lord of the Giants, who had brought wrack and ruin to the entire kingdom, was said to have been felled by an unknown warrior. His beaten and broken remains were then dragged beneath the stronghold, where he was sealed away.

in the original game his soul makes no reference to him being the giant lord.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Score another point for never reading anything.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You never had to snipe guys. And the knights are fun to fight. I don't understand the hate for an area actually having a difficult multi-enemy fight.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Undead Crypt's final stretch has two Dragonriders added for no loving reason.
It's fun and cool when games use bosses as regular enemies later on. If you don't want to fight them, you don't have to, but killing them or kiting them around to try and ninja the chests on the sides are both fun things to do.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Combat by itself in Souls games is sort of boring.
:psyduck:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you don't like souls combat, particularly tough sections of it, why the gently caress are you playing all the souls games. that's the main point of the entire series

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
yes famous exploration game "dark souls"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Iron keep sotfs sucked because the original forced you into a rhythm of dodging arrows and murdering k***hts, and the update has the optimal strat be to pop out of the doorway, go back inside, and murder the conga line of enemies. New amana is the exact opposite in that pushing hard is the only melee strat so I dont know what they were thinking

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its the only black mark I know of for sotfs though so this scholar guy probably just sucks

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

The only [im]proper way to play Dark Souls is to complain on the internet about not being able to play it the way you want to play it.

:stwoon: If we ever get a souls megathread (and delete the old three or four specific ones) can we get this as thread title?

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 27, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Control Volume posted:

Iron keep sotfs sucked because the original forced you into a rhythm of dodging arrows and murdering k***hts, and the update has the optimal strat be to pop out of the doorway, go back inside, and murder the conga line of enemies. New amana is the exact opposite in that pushing hard is the only melee strat so I dont know what they were thinking
slowly pulling enemies one at a time is the optimal strat for almost all areas in souls games if you don't know where to run to just not fight things at all

that doesn't mean that you should. running in and fighting all the allone knights to the death is good and fun. smashing dudes on the bridge. hell yeah.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

IronicDongz posted:

slowly pulling enemies one at a time is the optimal strat for almost all areas in souls games if you don't know where to run to just not fight things at all

that doesn't mean that you should. running in and fighting all the allone knights to the death is good and fun. smashing dudes on the bridge. hell yeah.

"Let me just peek around this corner to see if I should rest up OH SHI" *ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL* "ok where the gently caress am I"?

Gets stomped by giant

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Vic posted:

"Let me just peek around this corner to see if I should rest up OH SHI" *ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLL* "ok where the gently caress am I"?

Gets stomped by giant

The best part is that this works (in some way) for all titles

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

This gif more or less completely sums up trying to play Bloodborne like DS1, trying to play DS3 like DS1, and PVP in all the games! :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, god DAMMIT. They changed the way the crows work; I dropped an item, reloaded the area and now I've lost both the item I dropped and the chance to get the item from the crows because they won't take duplicates.

For gently caress's sake.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, god DAMMIT. They changed the way the crows work; I dropped an item, reloaded the area and now I've lost both the item I dropped and the chance to get the item from the crows because they won't take duplicates.

For gently caress's sake.

One of the few benefits of PS4 over PC is how easy it is to just grab your save and replace it after you balls something up that way. The alternative, of course, is to either restart your run or use Cheat Engine if you're on PC. Or ask a goon to do it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i missed this. bloodborne has the most fun/best combat in any video game ever made. what a bizarre statement, what got me hooked on the series was how great the combat is and how from software is pretty much the only company that uses the medium properly for storytelling.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

if you don't like souls combat, particularly tough sections of it, why the gently caress are you playing all the souls games. that's the main point of the entire series

I already explained this, but combat mechanics in Souls games are simple -- fighting a lot of similar knight-like enemies in DS2 becomes boring because the combat's strengths are not emphasized.

DS2's enemy placement and variety is by and large worse than either DS1 or DS3, the former because it lacks the variety in enemies and the latter because it lacks the combat improvements Bloodborne brought.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I already explained this, but combat mechanics in Souls games are simple -- fighting a lot of similar knight-like enemies in DS2 becomes boring because the combat's strengths are not emphasized.

Do u think dark souls would be better if it awarded achievements for exploration