Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A venom cock, they’re called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

chitoryu12 posted:

HellMOO fic looking good.

Nope, that's actual published, nominated-for-Tiptree-Award terrible book Touched by Venom.

Crevette's review says more than I ever could: http://crevette.livejournal.com/164152.html

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Nope, that's actual published, nominated-for-Tiptree-Award terrible book Touched by Venom.

Crevette's review says more than I ever could: http://crevette.livejournal.com/164152.html

:psypop:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Runcible Cat posted:

Ahh, Crevette. I still lose my poo poo every time I see that Night Travels of an Elven Vampire icon. Poor Legolas-with-Photoshop-fangs.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Didn't Night Travels of the Elven Vampire also have a sequel/rewrite that she covered?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Didn't Night Travels of the Elven Vampire also have a sequel/rewrite that she covered?

Hey did you mean Joan Collins or Jackie Collins?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Hey did you mean Joan Collins or Jackie Collins?
This isn't the IDEOTV thread, but I sent in a Joan Collins request. I haven't yet had a chance to hear the Jackie Collins episode.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I have now heard the Jackie Collins episode, and since I only requested Joan Collins because she wrote books like her sister's while starring in Dynasty, it's all the same to me.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

PYF terrible book: That’th a cock, hey-o!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

grittyreboot posted:

I vote for PYF terrible book: PEOPLE ARE SHTUPPING BABY DRAGONS ON PAGE 22!!!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

grittyreboot posted:

I think of this line every time I see a dick in a movie or TV show

End of Boogie Nights? That'th a cock, hey-o!

That gay efreet scene in American Gods? That'th a cock, hey-o!

Frost/Nixon? That'th a dick, hey-o! :downsrim:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This isn't the IDEOTV thread, but I sent in a Joan Collins request. I haven't yet had a chance to hear the Jackie Collins episode.

Wait, wait, there's an IDEOTV thread? Would you be so kind as to point me in that direction?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Wait, wait, there's an IDEOTV thread? Would you be so kind as to point me in that direction?
It's in the podcast forum.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Much obliged. Thank you! :cheers:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

A terrible hot take on a classic book:

https://fee.org/articles/the-leftist-apparitions-who-terrorized-scrooge-for-money/

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
my favorite bad book would have to be "Thunder in the Valley," by Jim R. Woolard. Nothing new to say in it, the book is a cowboys vs. indians story, & the good guy dies at the end!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

One of these things comes out every year now around Christmas, presumably because these kinds of assholes got tired of writing the same hit piece on Robin Hood.

They really hate that a book about the evils of the post-industrial revolution and the way it encouraged the development of heartlessness, cruelty, and greed on the part of those who were not made wretched and broken by the system is in the canon, and also a Christmas story to boot, so eternally popular.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Vosgian Beast posted:

One of these things comes out every year now around Christmas, presumably because these kinds of assholes got tired of writing the same hit piece on Robin Hood.
I first saw it in the early 1980s when Ed Meese (Reagan's corrupt, piglike attorney general) gave a speech making the same point (that Scrooge was actually a good guy who paid his workers a more than fair wage).

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
The problem is Bill Murray. You can't hate Scrooge if he's played by Bill Murray!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A bad movie rather than a bad book, but this year I watched "An All-American Christmas Carol" on Netflix. In this adaptation, Scrooge is replaced by a greedy welfare mother who has to be inspired by three ghosts to stop being a leech and get a job.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RoboRodent posted:

A bad movie rather than a bad book, but this year I watched "An All-American Christmas Carol" on Netflix. In this adaptation, Scrooge is replaced by a greedy welfare mother who has to be inspired by three ghosts to stop being a leech and get a job.

:stare:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It was bad and I was angry.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

RoboRodent posted:

You shoulda watched An American Carol where three ghosts show up to teach Michael Moore that the iraq war is a good idea

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

FMguru posted:

I first saw it in the early 1980s when Ed Meese (Reagan's corrupt, piglike attorney general) gave a speech making the same point (that Scrooge was actually a good guy who paid his workers a more than fair wage).

It's a big point of the story that he isn't.

Scrooge is a bad guy because he hoards his money and just makes money for the sake of it. He isn't doing anything useful with the money he makes, and he finds that using his wealth to help enrich others also enrichs his own life. The story isn't even criticising wealth, it's criticising greed and selfishness.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Imagine someone missing a message that Dickens pounded at over and over again with ham hands (love Dickens, but subtlety was not his strong suit).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People are pretty good at missing a point that makes them a shitload of money to miss.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Inescapable Duck posted:

People are pretty good at missing a point that makes them a shitload of money to miss.

You have now explained televangelism to me!

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

The 48 Laws of Power, by Robert Greene, is a pretty terrible self-help guide that is good at turning businesspeople into douchebags

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_48_Laws_of_Power

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

A3th3r posted:

The 48 Laws of Power, by Robert Greene, is a pretty terrible self-help guide that is good at turning businesspeople into douchebags

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_48_Laws_of_Power

Didn’t he have a blogging deal with Tucker Max at some point?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Didn’t he have a blogging deal with Tucker Max at some point?

yes. Terrible & moronic idea to do that

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Runcible Cat posted:

I now know why I've never heard of the Tiptree Award.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rough Lobster posted:

I now know why I've never heard of the Tiptree Award.

The winners and honorees are usually good or at the very least interesting.

Still, it was only nominated and apparently not recognised at all, so it's not the Tiptree Awards' fault.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

I genuinely can't tell whether or not she means this as a criticism of it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Whybird posted:

I genuinely can't tell whether or not she means this as a criticism of it.

:iiam:

Edit: wait, no it isn't: https://twitter.com/RedIsDead/status/947090181512761344?s=17

:ms:

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Dec 31, 2017

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Supernatural forces attempting to terrify the rich into behaving has a long, storied history

”Matthew 19” posted:

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[c] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Supernatural forces attempting to terrify the rich into behaving has a long, storied history

Literally Jesus posted:

Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.

*10,000 words about how actually the 'Eye of the Needle' was just a gate in Jerusalem that was a bit tricky to negotiate with a fully laden camel and therefore it's just tricky for a rich man to get into Heaven, not, heh, impossible, like the loony left would have you believe*

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Winter Stormer posted:

*10,000 words about how actually the 'Eye of the Needle' was just a gate in Jerusalem that was a bit tricky to negotiate with a fully laden camel and therefore it's just tricky for a rich man to get into Heaven, not, heh, impossible, like the loony left would have you believe*

A youth minister once told me that the camel could pass through if it got down on its knees, and that meant the way for a rich person to get into heaven was also to kneel and be humble before God, like this was some sort of clever wordplay or something.

I remember I got in trouble for rolling my eyes at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

quote:

Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.

I always wondered how the hell that passage made it through the various editing the church made in the middle ages. Kinda surprised since they threw out almost everything empowering woman (shout out to Judith) but kept the line of Jesus literally saying "Rich people deserve to go to hell".