Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

bad first round for lemieux. he got outboxed and roy jones forgot his name twice within a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Marching Powder posted:

what happened? i missed it.

Sullivan hit him with about 6 hard, clean power shots and put him away.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

thehappyprince posted:

bad first round for lemieux. he got outboxed and roy jones forgot his name twice within a minute

this looks to be a repeat of the first fight

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Marching Powder posted:

what happened? i missed it.

https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/942245382414778368

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just checking in, the Seldin fight was the feel good moment of the year

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

saunders making it look easy so far. the 2nd half of the fight will be interesting if his fitness stays true to form

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this is embarrassing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Some dude 10 feet to my right keeps screaming “chicken Saunders”

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Some A class showboating tonight

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

saunders is winning this with his jab. golovkin's jab was the key in the lemieux fight too

different kind of jabs obvs

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
bjs is boring as poo poo, put him down lemieux

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ok now is when it will get interesting if it's gonna

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

thehappyprince posted:

ok now is when it will get interesting if it's gonna

Yeah cause Lemieux's gonna get stopped

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

meat CRime posted:

bjs is boring as poo poo, put him down lemieux

It's an absolute schooling. I still hate the bastard but it's a joy to watch.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Billy Joe is putting on a clinic. Just beautiful boxing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this shouldn't be able to happen between two guys ranked so closely where one of them isn't considered elite

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lemieux should be ashamed of himself.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lemew looking defeated in there. what a performance from the boy bj

the lack of body shots considering he can't hit the head and saunders' history of fading is bizarre

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

lemew looking defeated in there. what a performance from the boy bj

the lack of body shots considering he can't hit the head and saunders' history of fading is bizarre

he's gone for a few straights to the body which saunders angled off on so they missed but why he isn't hooking to the ribs i have no idea

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Uhg

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

always positive to hear the corner imploring their fighter not to quit

nomasaunders

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Haha the boos at the end.

Boooey Joe Saunders

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

does lemieux have an uppercut?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

can't wait to see saunders do this to old man golovkin

lol at the judge giving lemew 3 rounds

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

balancedbias posted:

Haha the boos at the end.

Boooey Joe Saunders

You’re welcome

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

3 rounds to Lemieux? LOL

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Save us..........Demetrius Andrade?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Don't sound like I missed much

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I met Tyson Fury so it wasn’t all bad

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
As good as 2017 was for boxing who is fighter of the year? ESPN's was Terence Crawford but I prefer Lomachenko but that's because I'm way biased towards activity even if the opposition isn't all that.

Fight of the year has to be AJ-Wlad because it meant so much more than, like Salido-Roman.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I was pretty surprised at Crawford being fighter of the year. He only fought twice and they weren’t really notable. I probably would lean towards lomachenko as well.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Unifying a division's titles is a pretty big accomplishment. I'm inclined to think Loma had the better year but I can see the case for Crawford. At least it isn't Mayweather, I've seen his name floated unironically for beating up Conor lol.

Speaking of, I'm traveling on a cruise with only a phone to write posts on until the 8th. So I'm not sure when I would be able to deliver on the new year thread. If you guys don't mind waiting a week or three I'll start brainstorming my top 20, but if one of you plucky upstarts wants to have a go at it I can settle for a guest post.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Aj wlad was really good considering unlike haye bellew

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Speaking of Haye-Bellew here are some of my predictions for 2018

-Haye-Bellew 2 is called off due to injury and Haye just ends up retiring
-AJ-Wilder happens in fall of 2018 after Joshua beats Parker and Wilder beats Ortiz. It ends up a back and forth fight that Joshua wins by late stoppage.
-Pacquiao rematches Jeff Horn after Horn is knocked out by Crawford. After Pacquiao wins (a decision) over Horn he retires.
-Lomachenko wins another 130 belt and moves up to 135 where he wins a vacant belt by beating Ray Beltran. He does not fight Mikey Garcia or Linares.
-After Adrien Broner loses to Omar Figueroa this spring he does something that puts him in jail for 5+ years and never boxes again.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I really want to see if Thurman fights Spence. He's been quacking a lot when people ask him about that match.

Also I predict that Amir Khan will announce retirement in 2018.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Canelo-GGG 2 ends in another draw.
Tyson Fury replaces Haye to fight Bellew and loses in a hilarious manner.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I am still a Tyson Fury fan and hope he gets it together, he's still the real champ in my eyes.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

2018 will be the year that david d haye finally rejuvenates the faltering, failing heavyweight division

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's going to tear his tricep pulling his wheelie-bin to the kerb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

HBO is uploading some of their fights for the year.

Gonzalez-Sor Rungvisai I
Golovkin-Alvarez

Both are good fights with some controversy at the end. I thought the champ won both, but they were close fights and the decisions were fine, if a bit disappointing to me at the time.

There's a lot that can be said of the Gonzalez fight specifically. I think it's all out there though, he started moving into heavier and heavier weightclasses, his longtime trainer died, etc. I thought the performance he put on against Sor Rungvisai was enough to win, but just barely, and he was obviously overextending himself. Just looking at the difference between SSR shrugging off combinations while throwing big shots and Chocolaltito bleeding like a fountain while grimacing in pain made it clear he was starting to hit a wall. He similarly barely beat Cuadras half a year earlier, once again struggling against a naturally bigger guy. The SSR rematch was a more definitive and dramatic finish. SSR looked like he had improved a lot, but Gonzalez was clearly defeated before the fight even started. Knowing this, it's a bit easier to see how difficult the first fight was for Gonzalez.

Having not seen the next part of the GGG/Canelo saga, it's a bit harder to write about. I thought GGG won, and fairly clearly too. Obviously the Byrd card was just ridiculous, but I'm not too impressed with Trella's card either. A draw is reasonable, it was a close fight. But I think I'd expect most people would give at least 7 rounds to GGG.

Cotto-Ali

I've never been a fan of Cotto for whatever reason, so I guess this one doesn't impact me in quite the way it would others here. This was Cotto's retirement fight, and these are always dangerous. If a fighter has one foot out the door, it's only a matter of time until the other foot goes out too. Ali was an interesting choice, since he'd been something of a busted prospect against Vargas, a lopsided KO loss. Ali was moving up in weight too. In retrospect though, Ali had been taking time to seriously work since his loss and this was his chance for greatness. He certainly showed the kind of heart one should have in that situation. A classic kind of cherry picking gone wrong situation. Great fight, some good back and forth and drama, and excellent judging.

Salido-Roman
I missed this fight originally in favour of Loma-Rigo, and what a mistake that was. It's Orlando Salido, it's a war, what else do you need? In something of a theme so far, we have Salido catching what was kind of coming for him for a while now in this brutal upset.

More were just uploaded as I wrote this.

Lemieux-Stevens
A highlight real, knockout of the year contender. A crisp little fight in comparison to the others too. Lemieux would go on to personally disappoint me in Laval earlier this month by losing every single round against Saunders, which isn't connected to this but I thought I should mention it. I met Tyson Fury that night so that was ok.

Ward-Kovalev II

Hoo boy, this one is a controversial one, and worth a rewatch for that reason alone. You know the story probably. After a controversial first fight that Ward took by a very narrow decision, Ward was the favourite in the rematch. He wasn't expected to win by TKO though. Kovalev started strong as in the first fight but Ward was adjusting much quicker than the previous fight. Then some stuff happened. Depending on your point of view, Ward did the most terrible series of low blows ever seen in the sport followed by an incredibly early stoppage or you have a tired, fading Kovalev attempt to milk a low blow from an incompassionate ref and then just sort of give up. I think Ward deserved the W here, but it was certainly an odd sequence that I expected Weeks to handle a lot better. The early stoppage sort of robbed Ward of his definitive finish and gave Kovalev enough wiggle room to get his already scorned fans to discount the fight. Ward also landed low, but not nearly as bad as some would have suggested. Altogether a weird end that kind of sums up the weird rivalry, but there is some good fighting here to watch.

Both of these guys walked out of this pair of fights with changes. Ward retired, while Kovalev went through every stage of grief multiple times, developed a drinking problem, almost killed himself and then hiked a mountain to get some monks to make his spirit right again. It remains to be seen if he'll ever reach the heights he was at before, but his most recent performance was very impressive.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 4, 2018