Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What the heck is up with this thread? Only one I've seen that consistently eats the last post. Usually that's just server issues. Could just be on my end, though.

Contribution: not a big fan of the Scientology faction in nuka-world having a tangible INT buff to their cult shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Neurolimal posted:

What the heck is up with this thread? Only one I've seen that consistently eats the last post. Usually that's just server issues. Could just be on my end, though.

Contribution: not a big fan of the Scientology faction in nuka-world having a tangible INT buff to their cult shenanigans.

It's all the threads that zendeathrobot has posted in IIRC. I don't think there is a public consensus on the why.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

osirisisdead posted:

I watched bits and pieces of gameplay from streamers and rocked and rolled through the story in 20 hours of Nerf mode last year until the Institute revolutionary synth plotline, but I got bored.

Survival mode is a different game. The only weapon I carry most of the time is a legendary wounding suppressed .308 rifle with a night vision scope, named Go Quiet and now I'm debating putting a mob with a missile launcher on a guardpost to help hold The Castle. I use the power armor as little as possible.

This was my experience. Not just for the eating and drinking, though I do like it for ~immersion~ but because it's the only way they combat feels balanced (they do more damage, you do more damage). It oddly makes Idiot Savant even more overpowered though because enemies give double XP and any level of thirst is -INT, so even without the ability to savescum quest turn-ins even killing random raiders and ghouls may randomly drop like 1,000XP on you.

And who knows, maybe some day I'll actually get past the Glowing Sea portion of the main quest and finish the game!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
it says a lot about the game when the nuclear death cult is best faction

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I snuck out of a fight between some Children of Atom and some Gunners in power armor the other day

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

osirisisdead posted:

I snuck out of a fight between some Children of Atom and some Gunners in power armor the other day

, Terrible cretins.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was in power armor and doing the sneaking.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

osirisisdead posted:

I was in power armor and doing the sneaking.

UHURHURKK

Ah yes the Power Armor, if you're looking to upgrade The Atom Cats Garage is the place to do it, although not on a budget.

Have you heard any word about the other settlements?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes.

Next steps: I am taking some basic resources to The Castle to get food production and more defense going there.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I should probably get around to doing this whole main quest thing eventually. I heard the game has one.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Loaded up an old save today and went to Diamond City to see the decorations.

It was Halloween.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The brotherhood of steel showed up in the commonwealth and announced that they’re hear to help and then some guys jumped out of a helicopter and started trying to kill me. I assume that’s not how it’s supposed to go down?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A bunch of stuff feels shoehorned in because it’s fallout. Super mutants could be removed. The BoS too. I’d like to see the game as a conflict between the humans of the surface and a menace they don’t understand (the institute) and of course the world.

It’d be neat if you asked into the situation right after the humans collapsed after a civil war. The railroad vs the minutemen. Railroad was the militant faction that hired the gunners because the minutemen didn’t want to save synths.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The brotherhood of steel showed up in the commonwealth and announced that they’re hear to help and then some guys jumped out of a helicopter and started trying to kill me. I assume that’s not how it’s supposed to go down?

Sounds like they're making good on their promise imo

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

American foreign policy in a nutshell :patriot:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ah, so they're no longer simply waiting for the savages outside their bunkers to die. I'd probably be more disappointed if I was actually surprised.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That's something that also irks me about the institute. They're literally just the BoS but cleaner and more secluded. It feels like they realized they went too hard into writing BoS as Noble Good Guy Paladins in 3 and needed a new standin for a big threat. Their tech is also pretty bizarre considering BoS and splinter faction Enclave had direct government support; how did the institute end up with a thousand ultrascientists?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Neurolimal posted:

That's something that also irks me about the institute. They're literally just the BoS but cleaner and more secluded. It feels like they realized they went too hard into writing BoS as Noble Good Guy Paladins in 3 and needed a new standin for a big threat. Their tech is also pretty bizarre considering BoS and splinter faction Enclave had direct government support; how did the institute end up with a thousand ultrascientists?

Presumably they got all the sensible scientists after sending all their crazy ones to Mt Big.

Well, I say sensible, considering whatever they did to put Super Mutants in the commonwealth. I haven't completed a run-through yet, I always stop at a point to start a fresh with new mods, so I haven't come across any lore to explain why the heck there are Super Mutants there, other than Swan.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Goddamn the dialogue in this game is so bad it makes me angry.

"Pick an option that has no impact on how the conversation will progress"

or

"Pick a Charisma option that gives you a tiny amount of XP but will also have no impact on how the conversation will progress"

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Replaying this makes me think that it would have been a whole hell of a lot better had the main character been Nick Valentine. But I think that would have been far too difficult for Bethesda's "Baby's first video game" writers to handle. Especially considering you'd have to accommodate for two+ genders. Which wouldn't have been difficult, because as far as I can tell Nick considers himself a person separate from the memories of the original Nick Valentine, so the gender wouldn't be a big deal aside from a few "Is it strange being a woman with a man's memories?" kind of questions.

Expand out the Eddie Winter case and throw in an investigation of the institute. Then you don't have that weirdness of a supposedly distraught father completely ignoring the fact that he just lost his kid & wife in favor of loving off around the wasteland for 100+ hours.

Anyway, the takeaway here is that Todd Howard is a hack and can suck my balls. Thanks for reading!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On a more positive note, I do think F4 is far better written than most of Bethesda's prior games (even if I dislike them aping Bioware's speech wheel and adding voice acting to the MC). There are a scant few quests that I'd say are almost Obsidian tier, and most of the non-main quest stuff is okay.

BoS are still insufferable but that's just the hole they chose to dig.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I remember the BoS being really reasonable in New Vegas, but wasn't that the "yeah our mandate is to collect tech and help the locals" chapter? I do know that I never wanted to harm them, but the BoS in F4 I had no problem turning on.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

null_pointer posted:

I remember the BoS being really reasonable in New Vegas, but wasn't that the "yeah our mandate is to collect tech and help the locals" chapter? I do know that I never wanted to harm them, but the BoS in F4 I had no problem turning on.

IIRC they're still very isolationist, and take their "we're the sole hope for humanity" stuff to extremes (Veronica's girlfriend is excommunicated because they want to encourage procreation). Also if you convince Veronica to leave the BoS, they will attack and kill the charity faction outpost she intends to join.

Like most factions you can improve them though. That's something I really liked about how NV separated morality from factions; if you had positive morality/negative morality the endings would speak of your character making the faction better/worse, even the worst/best factions.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Fallout 4: Two goons huddle in the ruins of the thread and discuss lore

Right, but the banishment happened under Elijah, who was clearly a) old-testament levels of gently caress Everyone Only Technology Will Save us, b) batshit crazy and (in my universe, at least) c) died buried alive under the Sierra Madre due to his obsession and hubris.

I can't remember if post-Elijah leadership was less psychopathically murderous, but I think that's why I need to play NV, again.

That's the only thing truly good that really comes out of F4 -- it makes people want to replay New Vegas.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The NV chapter can form a tenuous ceasefire with the NCR under the good elder, or can go hard into the kill-anyone-with-a-laser-pistol-and-steal-it with the bad elder. Most of the endings feature them all getting killed though, including the best ending (House).

F3 was the one where they split into the 'maybe we should help the locals who are getting gangfucked by super mutants nonstop' faction versus the 'gently caress that, steal their laser pistols' faction. It's somewhat hidden away in audio logs in F4, but the implication is that when Maxson hit puberty he helped the dickhead faction kill off all the altruistically minded leaders to bring the two factions back together.

Basically, F4 retconned them back into being the same fuckers they were in F1/2.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

So, basically, 21st century American politics ...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

F3 was the one where they split into the 'maybe we should help the locals who are getting gangfucked by super mutants nonstop' faction versus the 'gently caress that, steal their laser pistols' faction. It's somewhat hidden away in audio logs in F4, but the implication is that when Maxson hit puberty he helped the dickhead faction kill off all the altruistically minded leaders to bring the two factions back together.

Incidentally why I'm more than happy to infiltrate the BoS and betray them to the Railroad/Institute. Fucker had it coming.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dang is it new year's eve already?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Are there any festivities in Diamond City? Are you invited somewhere?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
irrelevant to the mission of getting a load of food and settlers over to the Castle to segue to the preparation to connect the supply lines up the coast.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 27, 2017

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Sky Shadowing posted:

A good twist to the Institute is Evil thing would have been if it wasn't them murdering the people and replacing them with synths. If that had been the Railroad hiding the synths from the Institute.

God drat it. I wish Bethesda had hired more nerds to review it's poo poo.

I just Hope Fallout 5 is set to Florida and involves more new and interesting factions like communist cubans, jamaican prirates, ghoul enslaving dixies and isolationist seminoles, with a flooded Miami and an Orlando controlled by an animalistic cult.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Plus the Aquaboy perk, I made some hardshell diving armor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

osirisisdead posted:

Plus the Aquaboy perk, I made some hardshell diving armor.

I had the same impulse soon as I saw the raider PA

e:ah, i thought that was taken underwater

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I need to walk to the Castle first for an emergency supply run and then I'm going to walk to Nordwhatever.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

osirisisdead posted:

irrelevant to the mission of getting a load of food and settlers over to the Castle to segue to the preparation to connect the supply lines up the coast.

You can ferry settlers between settlements?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish the power-armour types had their separate pros and cons instead of being purely linear in terms of stats with the x-01 on top.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can ferry settlers between settlements?

I think you just select them in Workshop Mode and you can tell them "Move" ... though I can't get Preston or Sturges out of Sanctuary.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Have him following you and then dismiss him to wherever you want him.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

John F Bennett posted:

Are there any festivities in Diamond City? Are you invited somewhere?

Unfortunately, no. There's a few Christmas fairy-lights about for the 25th of December, some Halloween decorations around for the 31st of October. I don't think there are any other 'holidays' celebrated in Diamond City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm irked that Preston didn't stick at The Castle and everyone just left that one dude on the radio, but I sent a bunch of Settlers that way and I am heading in with Tato's and Carrots to get a vegetable soup garden going. I want to see if they teleport, or die, or what. Idk it seems like they like the bar I installed at the Rocket...

• Locked thread