Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
There are too many people dissing the docking computer.

Me? I'll just sit back, relax, and listen to Blue Danube as I coast into the hanger with no effort whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I’m too cool for the docking computer, like that time I was just finishing a massive touring passenger mission landed way to hard, broke shields and damaged hull. Passenger cancelled mission.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Eh, the docking computer can be useful, but please remember: If you're out there in the empty black void, and trying to land on a planet, your precious computer will do jack poo poo. The surface hurtling up to meet your ship doesn't care, regardless of how desperately you switch that docking computer on and off.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Libluini posted:

Eh, the docking computer can be useful, but please remember: If you're out there in the empty black void, and trying to land on a planet, your precious computer will do jack poo poo. The surface hurtling up to meet your ship doesn't care, regardless of how desperately you switch that docking computer on and off.

I do that regardless of docking computer

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Libluini posted:

what I like the most is that your spaceship apparently learns how to auto land on planets when you're in your SRV

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't know where the hell I am but I've been here for a long time. I haven't seen a living thing since forever. Sometimes my scanners pick up some planetary lifeforms such as algae, but nothing spectacular so far. I could navigate by the stars but they all look the same to me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

CornHolio posted:

Perhaps a stupid question but what is a rebuy?

I am on PS4, is there a PS4 group?

I think we have a couple of PS4 frogs, but the Discord info and chat is useful whatver platform you fly on.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i couldn't get beyond the docking training mission and haven't touched this game for months

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

Daztek posted:

what I like the most is that your spaceship apparently learns how to auto land on planets when you're in your SRV

That reminds me, can you do base scan and skimmer missions with a ship launched fighter? With the Federal ships going on sale, I have a notion to buy a Gunship and just sort of have it hover 7km out while I dive bomb the base from a safely disposable proxy fighter

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

jboslund posted:

That reminds me, can you do base scan and skimmer missions with a ship launched fighter? With the Federal ships going on sale, I have a notion to buy a Gunship and just sort of have it hover 7km out while I dive bomb the base from a safely disposable proxy fighter

Don’t bother with the fighter. Just load up on mines and literally carpet bomb the base.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Don’t bother with the fighter. Just load up on mines and literally carpet bomb the base.

... that's a fantastic solution.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

i couldn't get beyond the docking training mission and haven't touched this game for months

Ignore the training missions, they are awful

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I did them when I came back to get the hang of things again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The docking computer is objectively stupid because docking is somewhere between 20% and 50% of all gameplay in Elite: Dangerous - Horizons (The Engineers) *Beyond*, a game about docking your spaceship.

osirisisdead posted:

I like to try to mount the external camera on the lip of the mailslot or something and make docking be a bespoke cinematic.

alternatively blow past your target at full throttle, cut to blue and pull around to make sure nobody is locked on and about to pop an interdictor on you. good habits stick.

What? Who told you this was a good habit? This is a terrible habit and will add a minute or more to your flight time each time you try. If you're worried about getting interdicted, just use the submit-boost-jump trick to get away.

chaosapiant posted:

Alternatively when your timer has exactly 7 seconds on it is the sweet spot.

This has been harped on, but it's rather complicated and I haven't seen it all in one place, sooooo:

The blue part of the throttle is the "sweet spot." In Newtonian flight (normal space), the center of this is your ship's optimal maneuvering speed. With the throttle set there and FA-on, your ship will always be going where it is pointing, like a fighter jet. Above that (or when boosting) your secondary thrusters will not have enough power to compensate for reorienting with drive thrust, so you will slide around and do the space-Tokyo-drift.
:iiaca:
In supercruise, the sweet spot acts as a cruise control. In ED, superluminal flight is negatively affected by gravitational mass: the deeper down the well you go, the less efficient the drive becomes. If you are going too fast when you enter a larger body's sphere of influence, the FSD will slip out (the "SLOW DOWN" warning, ED's equivalent of a stall) and you won't be able to stop before you impact, or will have to loop around and redo your approach. For most bodies the former means you hit the exclusion zone and get dumped into normal space and take some damage. If the body is a star, you'll take a lot of heat damage on the way out (you'll be fine in normal space). If it is a landable body, you may smash into it and die spectacularly!
:tif:

If you put the throttle in the sweet spot in supercruise, the drive will go into a cruise control mode, which will automatically slow your ship down as you approach a body or POI. You can easily catch this by watching the time-to-impact on your HUD, when it gets to 7 seconds, move to the middle of the sweet spot. You can thread the throttle and get it as low as 5s, but I would recommend 6s at the lowest: less than 5 seconds to impact and the drive will slip out, even in the sweet spot.

One caveat to all of this: the sweet spot in supercruise is NOT the most maneuverable position for the throttle. In SC, if you want the most agility from your ship, put the throttle at 50%. :eng101:

ickna
May 19, 2004

gently caress the haters, 420 docking computer every day

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Daztek posted:

It doesn't learn any better than us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jqgUNm_S2g

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What? Who told you this was a good habit? This is a terrible habit and will add a minute or more to your flight time each time you try. If you're worried about getting interdicted, just use the submit-boost-jump trick to get away.

A minute for a loop? Are you in an Anaconda?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
In a conda it's often faster to just drop out of warp and flip around in normal space.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It has also been fun trying to emergency drop right on the station. I got it once at 34 km, but usually it's 3 or 4 hours out.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

osirisisdead posted:

It has also been fun trying to emergency drop right on the station. I got it once at 34 km, but usually it's 3 or 4 hours out.

One cool thing about this game is that even if you are 4 hours away from somewhere, you can travel there in normal space. I've accidentally dropped too far from a station before and decided to slowboat it there, and it's really neat seeing the station slowly get bigger and bigger.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
You can also travel from a planet surface to a station in normal space, as evidenced by the absolute madmen who booped an srv from planetside to inside the docking curtain.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Breetai posted:

You can also travel from a planet surface to a station in normal space, as evidenced by the absolute madmen who booped an srv from planetside to inside the docking curtain.

This requires pics and/or videos.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

iospace posted:

This requires pics and/or videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7E0DEp5yI&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGesroPU2do

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
The docking computer is fine and all, but gently caress giving up an internal slot for it. Small ships are piss easy to land once you get into the game and big ships don't have size 1 internals so you're going to be giving up at least a size 2, but probably a size 3 or 4 slot for a drat computer. They really need a separate "computer" slot that can combine the functions of the docking computer, adv disco, dss, kws, etc. into one thing that doesn't affect internals. But tis a pipe dream because :frontear:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Krycek posted:

The docking computer is fine and all, but gently caress giving up an internal slot for it. Small ships are piss easy to land once you get into the game and big ships don't have size 1 internals so you're going to be giving up at least a size 2, but probably a size 3 or 4 slot for a drat computer. They really need a separate "computer" slot that can combine the functions of the docking computer, adv disco, dss, kws, etc. into one thing that doesn't affect internals. But tis a pipe dream because :frontear:

I agree, but I have one on my Anaconda anyway because I will get stuck otherwise.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks to the thread for helping me decide on the Diamondbacks; I've finally managed to max out all (at least, all the modules I wanted maxed out, so combat stuff mainly) components of my Diamondback Scout, as well as figuring out how to manage my capacitor reserves and firing distance over what felt like nearly a hundred bounty kills. This game is really loving good, and I totally dig the devs' dedication to making it as "realistic" as possible.

Now it's time to upgrade to a Diamondback Explorer, and figure out how engineering works so I can pimp out my multicannons.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Played the actual game (not training) for a couple of hours last night. Did a couple of courier missions, retrieved a couple of black boxes, bought a goddamn docking computer and am loving it. Really enjoying this game so far. So much to learn, though. I think I have 36k credits now and I'm looking forward to upgrading my ship to something that doesn't look loving stupid (no offense to any Sidewinder lovers).

A couple of questions though:

Is there any kind of third person mode for the spaceship? The camera mode seems kind of difficult to use.

Can I not land on planets? I have the Horizons season pass but I don't have a rover or anything like that yet.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

3rd person is just camera mode.

You can land on any planet with a blue ring on the system map but you cant leave your ship without an srv. Always check the plsnets gravity before trying to land there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

3rd person is just camera mode.

You can land on any planet with a blue ring on the system map but you cant leave your ship without an srv. Always check the plsnets gravity before trying to land there.

That goes both ways, by the way. If the gravity is too low landing your ship is easy, but every tiny hole or rock in your way will have hilarious consequences if your SRV hits it. Higher gravity makes simply driving around much easier, but first you have to get your ship down in one piece. :v:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

But with very low gravity you are able to make a quadruple barrel roll going into a triple loop before hitting the ground again, after an SRV jump.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I just got raped by thargoids. I tried running but thet just ate me. When i tried to warp out it took forever. Is there a trick to getting away from these stupid things or are you just dead if you are on your own? Really pissed off because I lost an elite co-pilot.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

I just got raped by thargoids. I tried running but thet just ate me. When i tried to warp out it took forever. Is there a trick to getting away from these stupid things or are you just dead if you are on your own? Really pissed off because I lost an elite co-pilot.

Did you try High-Waking out, or Low-Waking out? Trying to go to SuperCruise when your life is in danger is stupid as gently caress. Jump to another star, you can't be delayed that way.

Regarding Docking Computers: yeah you can use one I guess, but they're for scrubs. Git gud. That slot could be better used by literally anything else.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Did you try High-Waking out, or Low-Waking out? Trying to go to SuperCruise when your life is in danger is stupid as gently caress. Jump to another star, you can't be delayed that way.

Regarding Docking Computers: yeah you can use one I guess, but they're for scrubs. Git gud. That slot could be better used by literally anything else.

I had no idea there was a difference between the two other than destination. Thanks for the tip!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, re: Thargoids. If you get hyperdicted by one, is the best solution high wake out or just leave it alone and let it go about its business.

Or are they now 100% aggressive now and high-waking the only solution?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Question, re: Thargoids. If you get hyperdicted by one, is the best solution high wake out or just leave it alone and let it go about its business.

Or are they now 100% aggressive now and high-waking the only solution?

It depends on a lot, but if it's a Cyclops variant, you're probably fine as long as you leave it alone. If it's a higher level Thargoid, you might want to give it a much wider birth. Thargoids also have rankings, shown by their markings, and the higher their ranking the more aggressive they are.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ah, I did not know this. Cool. Once I land, if I don't have an SRV yet, what can I do? Scan it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol over getting tribal over the use of the docking computer.

Use one if you want or don’t who the h*ck cares?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Ah, I did not know this. Cool. Once I land, if I don't have an SRV yet, what can I do? Scan it?

You scan from space by locking onto them. Without an srv you can only land. Nothing much else.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krycek posted:

oh no four tons of cargo space :circlefap:

I've flown ships with some empty internal slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol over getting tribal over the use of the docking computer.

Use one if you want or don’t who the h*ck cares?

You can use one, sure, but I'll smirk at you and think you're a scrub for doing so. If you think docking is boring you're just not doing it fast enough.

Fun tip: You can target someone's docking computer and destroy it, rendering it useless. This can lead to hilarious hijinx. There's videos.

• Locked thread