Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

loquacius posted:

The House is more valuable here, though (since control of the House gets you #2 in the line of succession) and it is particularly out of reach for us until at least 2020 due to gerrymandering.

:what:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-democrats-wave-could-turn-into-a-flood/

Harry Enten posted:

First, Democrats are probably favorites to win the House. Their current advantage is larger than the lead Republicans had at this point in the 1994 cycle, the lead Democrats held at this point in the 2006 cycle or the lead Republicans had at this point in the 2010 cycle. Those were all years when the minority party won control of the House. And a 12 percentage point Democratic advantage in the national House vote come next November would likely be more than enough for the House to flip again. I’ve previously calculated that the Democrats need to win the national House vote by 5.5 to 8 points to win the House.

Why do you think the House will get easier in 2020? Midterms are historically good for the out-of-power party, and there will be the same map in 2020 as 2018. "Gerrymandering" is not this unstoppable force that cannot be beaten, and Democrats are currently favored to win the House. It's also much easier this year than the Senate, just because of the map (a lot of vulnerable Democrats in the Senate are up for reelection).

loquacius posted:

in what way :confused:

the GOP will still run Congress and they will rally around him because he's (a) racist, (b) a dedicated servant of their rich donors, and (c) decorous

Any GOP-run Congress that (miraculously) agrees to remove Trump from office will frame the entire thing as a pro-Pence movement and come out of it just as powerful as before.

There is no way the GOP Congress removes Trump. If that is your prior, then fine, you can argue Pence would be worse, but that's as meaningful as debating which one would do a better job fighting an alien invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not really confident in 538 being gospel after the last election, sorry. If the Dems manage to surprise me and take both houses in 2018 I will dance a little jig (no :toxx: though sorry) but I'm not holding my breath.

I honestly kind of agree that this is a meaningless conversation, though. The power of either Trump or Pence to do significant damage is highly dependent on the disposition of Congress, which is the same factor that determines whether an impeachment is even possible, meaning that whether and when we can swing that is a more important conversation by far than whether it'd be a good idea to replace the insane orange Nazi with the stoic Nazi terrified of his own penis.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

The greatest generation should be upset to see all these demonstrations against nazism after all they fought for.

Replace the first panel with Hitler shooting himself and the last panel with the veteran shooting themselves and you'd have AGC.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I mean, 538 was practically the only polling aggregator that projected Trump had a chance. Most of the others were something like 95%+ Hillary, while 538 was only like 70% Hillary by the end.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

loquacius posted:

I'm not really confident in 538 being gospel after the last election, sorry. If the Dems manage to surprise me and take both houses in 2018 I will dance a little jig (no :toxx: though sorry) but I'm not holding my breath.

I honestly kind of agree that this is a meaningless conversation, though. The power of either Trump or Pence to do significant damage is highly dependent on the disposition of Congress, which is the same factor that determines whether an impeachment is even possible, meaning that whether and when we can swing that is a more important conversation by far than whether it'd be a good idea to replace the insane orange Nazi with the stoic Nazi terrified of his own penis.

538 were pretty good overall. They said over and over again that Trump had a real chance, and ultimately gave him a 1/3 chance of winning. There was no way anyone could say Trump was the favorite based on the polls, but they said Trump was "a normal polling error away from winning." They were far more accurate than the people who said Clinton had a 99% chance of winning.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Hatch loves Trump so much, he even treats news articles about him just like his hero:

quote:

Utah's biggest newspaper anointed the state's longtime Republican senator, Orrin G. Hatch, as its “Utahn of the year,” a distinction that came with a nearly full-page photo on the paper's front page on Christmas Day.

The senator seemed to appreciate the recognition, tweeting an image of the front page and thanking the Salt Lake Tribune for “this great Christmas honor.”

But the Tribune's distinction wasn't exactly an honor, in the strictest sense of the word.

Along with a news article and the photo, the newspaper published a scathing editorial that took aim at the senator's recent record, most notably his part in the Trump administration's decision to shrink two national monuments in the state, and said that the designation was meant to anoint the Utahn who had had the most impact, “for good or for ill.”

Hatch had earned the title because of his part in the “dramatic dismantling” of the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments, his role in helping to pass the recent tax code overhaul, and his “utter lack of integrity that rises from his unquenchable thirst for power,” the editorial board wrote.

Airline travel...bad?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Key phrase there is "at the beginning."

e.: You know what? gently caress it, I'll make this an effort post.

The passage he's quoting deals with Jesus responding to a group of Pharisees who, as they do at several points in Christ's life, ask questions about Jewish law for justification to try him for heresy. Here's the full passage:

Matthew 19 1-9 posted:

When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2 Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
Jesus is using that passage to call out religious leaders at the time on their own hypocrisy, not to call out non-binary genders. As a matter of fact:

Matthew 19:10-12 posted:

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”
Christ says there are some people who don't fit the heterosexual template. And that's okay.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 27, 2017

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MelvinBison posted:

Key phrase there is "at the beginning."

e.: You know what? gently caress it, I'll make this an effort post.

The passage he's quoting deals with Jesus responding to a group of Pharisees who, as they do at several points in Christ's life, ask questions about Jewish law for justification to try him for heresy. Here's the full passage:

Jesus is using that passage to call out religious leaders at the time on their own hypocrisy, not to call out non-binary genders. As a matter of fact:

Christ says there are some people who don't fit the heterosexual template. And that's okay.

How about a little simpler: "YOU'RE supposed to be the true believer, NOT ME. My cherry picking of your rules doesn't excuse yours."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

The greatest generation should be upset to see all these demonstrations against nazism after all they fought for.

That's one hell of a strawman

Yeah, the RedPanels guy (or impersonator... but come on, this is clearly red panels guy, right?) is a big fan of Jesus and as we all know, Jesus would totally be smug about Bitcoin

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Doodooronomy 7: 10-24 Jesus said," No, actually, Bitcoins giant drop in price shows that its functioning as intended and furthermore..."

The disciples all farted loudly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:iceburn:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Paris was the capital of the degenerate Third Republic and thus lost its legitimacy to Vichy and the embrace of authentic Frenchness, a Milice française cartoon.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Golbez posted:

What? I am so confused. Is he saying flying to Thailand causes global warming? But if you want snow why would you go to Thailand? Or is it a matter of, if there's no snow we might as well go to Thailand? And finally: "why it isn't snow" I can see a way in which this works, but this comic hasn't earned that path.

"Might as well fly to Thailand"

And the translation is goon-made, so don't blame the comic for it making very little sense.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The US, as Santa, pours gold onto Israel and Palestine is tricked into thinking the immediate inconvenience is justice. A Very Weird Interpretation of Events.

quote:

Can't wait to drown to death in Economic Recovery!
TRUMP CAME IN IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL!
Recovery will drown us all!
Why the gently caress would you tear down this wall?
Or is this dam just full of pee?

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 27, 2017

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Jurgan posted:

538 were pretty good overall. They said over and over again that Trump had a real chance, and ultimately gave him a 1/3 chance of winning. There was no way anyone could say Trump was the favorite based on the polls, but they said Trump was "a normal polling error away from winning." They were far more accurate than the people who said Clinton had a 99% chance of winning.

Yeah, 1/3 is greater than the chance of flipping a coin twice and getting two heads, nobody's idea of a rare event. Nate should also get credit for spelling out the exact states that Trump needed and got.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So this is Red Panels, right? This is totally the Red Panels guy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

So this is Red Panels, right? This is totally the Red Panels guy.

Was gonna do a 'those panels look red to you?' joke but the panels do make me see red.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardians:

"Nicola Jennings on Christmas for the Conservatives – Damian Green’s demise is the latest in a litany of disasters, but the prime minister still shows her survival instinct"

"Nicola Jennings on Donald Trump and Jerusalem – The US has announced significant cuts in its UN budget obligations for 2018-2019 in what will be interpreted as a further ratcheting up of pressure from the Trump administration"

"Ben Jennings on economic prospects for 2018 – Labour warns of an alarming increase in household debt as inflation rises and wages are squeezed"

Bonus! Steve Bell on his best cartoons of 2017

Telegraph:

Independents:

Jo Johnson to tell universities to stop 'no-platforming' speakers

Bonus! Review of the year cover, After Gericault.

Timeses:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

British comics have me convinced that island resides in the Warp where beings of raw emotion roil and convulse while saying "oval office"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Her nose looks like a penis.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Please come to Erie, Stiglich, and die in snow.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

At least it's not a "IF GLOBAL WARMING WHY SNOW?" cartoon. You know Stiglich is capable of it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I don't have to believe in the Bible to point out your hypocrisy in cherry-picking from it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I don't know if this is :can: but no-platforming is 100% a symbolic act and it's good for universities to listen to the student body.

Especially when the student body is saying "don't let transphobes in, you loving morons."

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Lmao

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Dr. Stab posted:

Richard Spencer was a WW2 vet?

I'm guessing their target audience is the kind of people who don't see the irony of saying "First they came for the Nazis..." even though that's not even what's happening.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Hihohe posted:

British comics have me convinced that island resides in the Warp where beings of raw emotion roil and convulse while saying "oval office"

sounds like a smaller version of :australia:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Hihohe posted:

How dare you accuse we Brits of having emotions, I'll have you know we have those beaten out of us at an early age as is good and proper.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Sausages posted:

I'm guessing their target audience is the kind of people who don't see the irony of saying "First they came for the Nazis..." even though that's not even what's happening.

I am assuming these men are conjoined twins

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Terminal Lance dude continues to own.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

loquacius posted:

yeah this argument is literally "we don't need a social safety net because we have charities"

Charities, like the military.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Katt posted:

It's good to see someone stand up against the epidemic of antifa activists punching WW2 veterans [citation needed]

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The Sausages posted:

That art style screams Penny Arcade.

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't have to believe in the Bible to point out your hypocrisy in cherry-picking from it.

"Oh you can't call me a hypocrite on the bible since you're a hypocrite too. We're both hypocrites so just... uh actually listen to the parts I like and ignore the rest."

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Katt posted:

Those are the worst drawn boobs I have ever seen.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Oh god it's time for ten billion baby-in-a-top-hat cartoons oh god

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man I wanna know from conservatives what this big government thing is right now, if it's not the party that is in control of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man I wanna know from conservatives what this big government thing is right now, if it's not the party that is in control of everything.

Conservatives are always outsiders, even if they are on the inside and have been for years.

• Locked thread