Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
It's actually a subtle movie about sexism. There are no female orcs in the movie apart from in the club, being overtly sexualized. Every female elf is a cold-blooded killer. And I'm not even sure there were any female humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

roomforthetuna posted:

It's actually a subtle movie about sexism. There are no female orcs in the movie apart from in the club, being overtly sexualized. Every female elf is a cold-blooded killer. And I'm not even sure there were any female humans.

There's a few women, margaret cho, the black police Captain, Smith's wife.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 26, 2017

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Every time Elf Parkour happened I burst out laughing.

I loved the badge that said MAGIC TASK FORCE and how it made another character immediately say “gently caress. Magic Task Force.”

The “World Gone Mad” scene made me howl with laughter.

I did not like this movie in the slightest, but it was loving entertaining.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

Elftown might as well be called jew York.

Their neighborhood should have been called Elfabet City.

CRINDY posted:

I loved the badge that said MAGIC TASK FORCE and how it made another character immediately say “gently caress. Magic Task Force.”

The “World Gone Mad” scene made me howl with laughter.

I did not like this movie in the slightest, but it was loving entertaining.

For me it was a good b-movie. The Orc gang felt like leftovers from The Warriors. Will Smith was the anomaly, he's generally in movies with better production values. The fights scenes were tv quality. The script needed at least one more rewrite.

bushisms.txt posted:

How? Did you listen to any of the dialogue? Will Smith is constantly making sure the orc's not choosing his people over their oppressors who hundreds of years ago essentially started orc Jim Crow. At the end of the movie, the nebulous jew stand ins will allow them to continue only if they keep up the current status quo.

As a black man, this movie does nothing but bring up what is actually going on in the US and it falls super short in saying anything that assuages those moments.

I've seen folks talk about the world building, good and bad, but no one seems to actually explain what they mean. For me, the world building was apparent based on will Smith's character. He lives in an all black neighborhood, and is visible upset an orc comes through, regardless of his profession and relationship. The police department is almost all white( Margaret cho is the fully formed asian minority being accepted as white) except for the latino cop who is also trying his best to be a model minority and keep up the white status quo. Smith's boss (another good one) tells him no one wants to partner with him, yet the only thing we see him do that other cops don't do is mix race with his white wife. He's even applauded for returning, so it's not his on the job behavior that's an issue. Elftown might as well be called jew York.

They try to have Smith's daughter spout cute stuff, but it's just ignorant racist poo poo she heard from her mom, which while honest, doesn't help the movie.

Yeah the movie really missed the mark on whatever it was trying to convey about racism / speciesism. With better writing there maybe could have been more clarity, either through parody like Demolition Man or serious scenes.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 26, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Everything after the opening credits should be cut and then the project handed to someone who actually has talent.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

strong bird posted:

Will Smith is the white cop.

This isn't even the first time he's done that, I Robot did the same thing with him being an anti-robot bigot who turned out to be completely right all along.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CRINDY posted:

Orcs have a STR bonus while elves have a DEX bonus. It’s just science.

I liked how low-key animalistic the elves were, actually. The movie kind of implies that they have orc-like senses of smell and they’re always pouncing and clinging to walls and stuff.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Something that kind of confused me was that it was unclear as to how common magic is in this world. Like the corrupt cops seemed to think they could just use the wand without needing to be a Bright or knowing the proper spells. But Jakoby and Ward both seemed to know what Brights were, and why they were special. And later on when one of the gangbangers spots the wand on the floor, he picks it up and it blows everyone in the room besides the protagonists up. And Jakoby has to be resurrected by Tika after being shot, but the villain can just heal herself from multiple point-blank shotgun wounds without even having the wand? The rules for everything felt very arbitrary.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i mean, jakoby is some schmuck and leilah is the foremost evil wizard introduced in the setting so far. (They killed the Illuminati 100 years ago!) i assumed she just cast some contingency healing spells with the wand off screen before the events of the movie based on my history with rpgs.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It seems like being a Bright means NOT having magic of your own but just being able to survive/control any of the extremely rare examples of magic which you might run into out in the world.

That’s why Tikka seemed convinced she could do something with that pool of water (teleport?) and probably why Leilah could summon the wand to her hands or regenerate while close enough to it. Or maybe the regeneration was some kind of contingency she put on herself before lending out the wand.

I think the movie did a pretty good job of making it look like there were rules, but nobody who wasn’t a weirdo elf arcanist knew them. So we see people openly fantasizing about unlimited wish fulfillment but then in practice the wand has some kind of internal cooldown, Tikka starts dying from the strain of using it too dramatically, etc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fart City posted:

Something that kind of confused me was that it was unclear as to how common magic is in this world. Like the corrupt cops seemed to think they could just use the wand without needing to be a Bright or knowing the proper spells. But Jakoby and Ward both seemed to know what Brights were, and why they were special. And later on when one of the gangbangers spots the wand on the floor, he picks it up and it blows everyone in the room besides the protagonists up. And Jakoby has to be resurrected by Tika after being shot, but the villain can just heal herself from multiple point-blank shotgun wounds without even having the wand? The rules for everything felt very arbitrary.

I think the rules for everything from how magic works to why they don't need to fear dragons flying around is just "hey, it's like shadowrun". Where extremely powerful magic that would make sense in party based combat is easy but magic that changes the world in ways that wouldn't be useful for an RPG party is treated as mostly quite hard or rare. So you end up with the same weird tonal problems all RPGs have where combat healing is super simple and no problem at all but there is still hurt people just around everywhere for no really easy to explain reason.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fart City posted:

I guess the idea is that magic can make humans who aren't brights go dumb and lust for its power, like corrupting them or something. But at some moment they forgot to mention that (or did a terrible work at stating that). It would be cool if the wand was actually sentient and whispered to people's minds. or the three(?) wands where parts of the dark lord's soul, and they try to convince you in to joining him with promises of infinite power (also, it's funny they completely forgot there are other wands out there lol). As cliche as it sounds, I think that is better than a "because reasons" explanation.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Desperado Bones posted:

I guess the idea is that magic can make humans who aren't brights go dumb and lust for its power, like corrupting them or something. But at some moment they forgot to mention that (or did a terrible work at stating that). It would be cool if the wand was actually sentient and whispered to people's minds. or the three(?) wands where parts of the dark lord's soul, and they try to convince you in to joining him with promises of infinite power (also, it's funny they completely forgot there are other wands out there lol). As cliche as it sounds, I think that is better than a "because reasons" explanation.

humans are dumb and lust for power without magic

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Magic doesn’t low key hypnotize people. It’s just extremely rare, arcane (in the sense of secret and esoteric), dangerous, and contingent on external sources of leverage. There’s still hospitals and farms and things because actual sources of magical power are few, far between, and closely guarded, and also because magic has limitations and costs that most people don’t understand.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 26, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you tell 100 people that they can have a 1 in a million chance to become all powerful and immortal if they touch something, but otherwise they'll die, how many do you think would touch it? It would probably be a surprisingly high number.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

If you tell 100 people that they can have a 1 in a million chance to become all powerful and immortal if they touch something, but otherwise they'll die, how many do you think would touch it? It would probably be a surprisingly high number.

Yeah the movie was kinda dumb in a lot of places but this wasn't one of them. Every scene like this was essentially "There's a .01% chance I could turn out to be a Bright and have my every fantasy instantly fulfilled forever? So you're saying there's a chance?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the rules for everything from how magic works to why they don't need to fear dragons flying around is just "hey, it's like shadowrun". Where extremely powerful magic that would make sense in party based combat is easy but magic that changes the world in ways that wouldn't be useful for an RPG party is treated as mostly quite hard or rare. So you end up with the same weird tonal problems all RPGs have where combat healing is super simple and no problem at all but there is still hurt people just around everywhere for no really easy to explain reason.

True I can't believe a society that could provide quality healthcare to its entire population wouldn't do that. Very unrealistic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/944705592836444160/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

edit:
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/944747321476214784

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 27, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pick posted:

I can't believe you guys are complaining that the cast is diverse. gently caress you. PS there are actual Latino people, black people, and women in the real LAPD! No centaurs though.

there are centaur cops in this movie, did you even bother to watch this? I'm guessing no

roomforthetuna posted:

Sounds like a David Ayer film to me. This was already on the road to being a bad End Of Watch anyway but with a laughably terrible macguffin and a "RETURN OF A BIG BAD" plot

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The best part of this movie is that "shrek" exists as a movie in this universe with at least a similar plot.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

This may have been posted before but as for worldbuilding They mention the dark lord rose to power 2000 years ago, which I assumed meant that in this world instead of Jesus as savior we get some anti-christ type character event instead

Played lots of shadowrun/d&d and thought this movie was a blast!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DandyLion posted:

This may have been posted before but as for worldbuilding They mention the dark lord rose to power 2000 years ago, which I assumed meant that in this world instead of Jesus as savior we get some anti-christ type character event instead

You have to assume a lot in this movie in order for it to make sense.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Jesus was an elven sorcerer who tried to use his dark power to seize control of the mortal world. Bright posits an alternate history in which someone stopped him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I really enjoyed the contrast between how orcs and elves and such all slotted casually into the world, just an extra layer of racism on top of what we're used to, with magic being disruptive and dangerous. No Harry Potter tidiness. Here you touch a wand and, if you even survive, it's still like gripping a live wire.

Decent flick. It's frequently clunky, and I would have appreciated a little more time with Noomi Rapace, but overall a fun time.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Why do the elves all have elfy names but the orc is called 'Nick Jakoby'? Is that an orcy name?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Why do the elves all have elfy names but the orc is called 'Nick Jakoby'? Is that an orcy name?

A lot of orcs lost their traditional names when they were brought over to the new world.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

A lot of orcs lost their traditional names when they were brought over to the new world.

Jakoby == Toby?

And i really want to know how other black Americans feel about watching bright. Chance the rapper is currently trending on Twitter because of his takes.

https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/945822924602335232?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/945825515973292032?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Hating orcs is racism, Chance. And don't go all "b-but the rulebook says they're evil" those books were written by humies

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Black Bones posted:

Hating orcs is racism, Chance. And don't go all "b-but the rulebook says they're evil" those books were written by humies
It's speciesism, surely. Pretty sure it's okay to eat orcs (and vice-versa) because it's not cannibalism if they're not the same species.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

roomforthetuna posted:

It's speciesism, surely. Pretty sure it's okay to eat orcs (and vice-versa) because it's not cannibalism if they're not the same species.

Hey YouTube this is LABeast and today we're doing the Orc Challenge

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Will Smith's character lives in a black neighborhood, where he complains about his neighbors, all of them black, doing gangster stuff. Traditional skin-color racism has not been replaced by ork/human/elf distinctions. It has been supplemented by it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm going to assume chance doesn't usually engage in films critically so he can't exactly articulate what he means. But I'm sure he's talking about how the movie references real life (___ lives matter and shrek) and yet the world has yet to learn from any of it despite "moving on" even if artificially to hate on otherworldly creatures. Humans have assumed roles, and so every "race" is doing their part to keep the human construct up while facing elves and orcs. So in a way, what we know as racism is gone, at least the term is, replaced with a new order for humanity to continue on.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 28, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sure, wasn't trying to detract from Chance's comment. His point that fantasy racism often misses the structural element is spot on. But I do like that Bright interleaves fantasy-race racism with the traditional kind, where the latter is lower-key, but still isn't totally gone.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Alhazred posted:

You have to assume a lot in this movie in order for it to make sense.

Sometimes it's nice to see a movie just be an entertaining movie that lets you piece things together in a fun way from context clues, instead of wasting huge amounts of time with exposition and quips

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/THEKarlaPacheco/status/945913138586644480

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Just watched it and I thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable movie.

At this point I'm just confused as to why Bright getting such negative press. Along with the last Jedi I feel like I'm somehow getting alternate reality versions of these films which are good but everybody else is getting bad ones from other universes or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, wasn't trying to detract from Chance's comment. His point that fantasy racism often misses the structural element is spot on. But I do like that Bright interleaves fantasy-race racism with the traditional kind, where the latter is lower-key, but still isn't totally gone.

It kinda feels unclear if the movie is smart enough to be saying stuff like that or stupid enough the movie is too racist and uncreative to think of latinos doing anything but hanging out being a gang in any world.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Numlock posted:

Just watched it and I thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable movie.

At this point I'm just confused as to why Bright getting such negative press. Along with the last Jedi I feel like I'm somehow getting alternate reality versions of these films which are good but everybody else is getting bad ones from other universes or something.

The metaphor is tortured enough that once you let it click in your head, it’s sort of impressively racist in a lot of really unique different ways. It’s a well meaning disaster of a script that’s barely held together by the charm of the leads.

It’s Crash, with Orcs basically.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Anti-Citizen posted:

The metaphor is tortured enough that once you let it click in your head, it’s sort of impressively racist in a lot of really unique different ways. It’s a well meaning disaster of a script that’s barely held together by the charm of the leads.

It’s Crash, with Orcs basically.

It's much smarter than Crash and I've yet to be convinced that anyone who sees this movie as racist is correct, rather than having racism so deeply ingrained into them that they see everything colored through their own stereotyping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It kinda feels unclear if the movie is smart enough to be saying stuff like that or stupid enough the movie is too racist and uncreative to think of latinos doing anything but hanging out being a gang in any world.

This is very very very very very wrong post if it's about Bright, the movie where Edgar Ramírez plays the elf occult specialist FBI agent.

• Locked thread