Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CountFosco posted:

I used to have a review for the phantom menace on imdb that I could copy and paste for you but it got flagged by to many people for being honest.

It all sucks. The onus is not on us to demonstrate that, as that is the consensus opinion.

This is not how criticism works. Roger Ebert's Great Movies pieces were not page after page of "This is really good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
lol Onus...like anus...only onus. Much like Star Wars.

Anyway. The Prequels are good for the much stated reasons and discourse. It speaks for itself. The original Star Wars is nothing special. Star Trek was better anyway and could beat up the Star Wars ships once you include the Q and Borg and the special tech the Federation shits out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CountFosco posted:

The onus is not on us to demonstrate that, as that is the consensus opinion.

As maligned as the prequels are in certain circles, I don't believe that is actually the consensus opinion.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gatts posted:

Anyway. The Prequels are good for the much stated reasons and discourse. It speaks for itself. The original Star Wars is nothing special. Star Trek was better anyway and could beat up the Star Wars ships once you include the Q and Borg and the special tech the Federation shits out.

The prequels are good for memes and that's pretty much it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

As maligned as the prequels are in certain circles, I don't believe that is actually the consensus opinion.
Nah, it's totally the consensus opinion! (among nerds who write and/or perform rants on the internet)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The prequels were prescient for the current political landscape that we currently find ourselves in if you've been blind to partisan politics for the past 60 years.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It was unexpected and it was awesome and it was beautiful and We Hate Movies is Good and Correct

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CountFosco posted:

I used to have a review for the phantom menace on imdb that I could copy and paste for you but it got flagged by to many people for being honest.

It all sucks. The onus is not on us to demonstrate that, as that is the consensus opinion. It is on the prequel defenders to show us that there is something worthwhile in there. So far all that we've received is the eisegesis of one supermechagodzilla, an impressive little bit of sophistry, but a piece of analysis which commends the analyst more than the analysand.

Is copy/pasting IMDB screeds what people who can’t articulate their reasons for not liking movies did before linking RLM’s sex dungeon vids became popular?

If you don’t like a movie or any piece of art that’s totally fine! No one cares if something just isn’t your taste. But if your contention is that they are bad in ways of craft or performance than that requires evidence. It’s why I asked in the first place what was meant by “bad acting”, because that’s a fine shorthand for something, but when there’s disagreement then a discussion usually becomes about what, specifically the person thought was bad.

This interaction went

“It’s bad”
“How is it bad, do you mean?”
“It’s bad and in fact it’s up to you to tell me why it’s not bad”
“????”

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Don't let them trick you into watching the prequels again

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The Prequels are great and I can't wait until we start talking about them again and just move on from TLJ like everyone mostly did with TFA.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

KaptainKrunk posted:

The Prequels are great and I can't wait until we start talking about them again and just move on from TLJ like everyone mostly did with TFA.

TLJ is one of the best in the series though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope this thread is talking about TLJ until Solo and then continues all the way until Episode 9.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Hope against hope, I guess. There's really not all that much there to dig into.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We'll be discussing The Last Jedi for another year for the same reason that we're always talking about the prequels: because there are so many people who will insist that it's bad for underdeveloped reasons or no reason.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

I hope this thread is talking about TLJ until Solo and then continues all the way until Episode 9.

I'm up for anything. Wanna talk about the Prequels, wanna talk about Last Jedi, come at me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone else get Spaceballs vibes when Poe pulled the space brakes and busted out that u-turn?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 28, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CountFosco posted:

It all sucks. The onus is not on us to demonstrate that, as that is the consensus opinion. It is on the prequel defenders to show us that there is something worthwhile in there. So far all that we've received is the eisegesis of one supermechagodzilla, an impressive little bit of sophistry, but a piece of analysis which commends the analyst more than the analysand.

I don't care if the prequels are objectively good or bad because they've got lasers and spaceships and lightsabers and that means it's a cool af film to me and I love to watch them

why think so hard about it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

if you think the prequels so bad just go make ur own goddamn star wars movie then come talk to me

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
We always return to the well that is the prequels because there's just enough interesting subtext that we can't really be sure it was bad.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

fridge corn posted:

if you think the prequels so bad just go make ur own goddamn star wars movie then come talk to me

Bitch, give me a budget of half a billion dollars and I will.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Freakazoid_ posted:

We always return to the well that is the prequels because there's just enough interesting subtext that we can't really be sure it was bad.

I'll get this one for you: They were bad.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I'll get this one for you: They were good.

Fixed that for you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

McCloud posted:

Bitch, give me a budget of half a billion dollars and I will.

i need to see a screenplay before i am willing to invest my milliones

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

i need to see a screenplay before i am willing to invest my milliones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRHy3cu31M

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I love the OT and grew up with them, and the prequels and ST are also good, but I'm going to say this: when I think Star Wars, the first thing I think of now is the Clone Wars.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
i read scripts for a living(high School drama teacher) so i know bad scripts. tlj is a bad script. peace out

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/27/as-the-last-jedi-tops-800m-is-star-wars-beyond-saving/

I'm starting to become convinced that the two Forbes writers who disagree about the Last Jedi are having a proxy battle in articles on the website.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PriorMarcus posted:

Here you go guys:

This was actually confirmed as a fake by Disney. It's apparently a mock-up by a theater in another country to be their unique poster. You know, some theaters like to have unique posters. At least, the original article that revealed it added that as an update.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/27/as-the-last-jedi-tops-800m-is-star-wars-beyond-saving/

I'm starting to become convinced that the two Forbes writers who disagree about the Last Jedi are having a proxy battle in articles on the website.

Almost certainly. There's also a third guy who sort of alluded to it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only Star Wars hot take I want anything to do with is the one that dissolves into apoplectic fury halfway through that Lando hasn’t shown up yet.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

business hammocks posted:

The only Star Wars hot take I want anything to do with is the one that dissolves into apoplectic fury halfway through that Lando hasn’t shown up yet.

Hashtag notmylando

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Still doesnt compete with the star wars movies made in the 90s.

https://vimeo.com/10304247

https://vimeo.com/10304221

https://vimeo.com/10304089

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

It's a crime Lando hasn't shown up yet but isn't the reason mostly to do with Billy Dee Williams being too old and a bit infirm at this point? Pretty sad because I would have to think if they could have had Lando, TLJ would be very different

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

I don't care if the prequels are objectively good or bad because they've got lasers and spaceships and lightsabers and that means it's a cool af film to me and I love to watch them

why think so hard about it

Say what you will about the clusterfuck of a plot Episode 8 had, at least the action sequences weren't boring.

Attack of the Clones, with thousands of troops and drop ships and jedis and all this insane stuff has one of the most dull, watch-checking battles ever put to film. After it a while it feels like watching a PS/2 cutscene that goes on like 20 minutes past it's welcome.

ED: Am I the only person ever to get really annoyed they didn't even put a wind machine on the speeder so they're going like 200 mph with exposed helicopter like sides and nobody's hair is even blowing? For me that admittedly minor detail sums up why the whole battle looks like CGI masturbation with no care to the details beyond that. A small detail that literally personifies why the effects suck for me.

I'd say I'd be down for the Fury Road of Star Wars but.. in hindsight we kind of just had that, a 2 hour chase sequence, just VERY slow and with people easily able to fly away and come back.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 28, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CountFosco posted:

Whoa, that must have been one badass review, internet tough guy. Thank goodness we'll be spared it's brutal honesty.

CountFosco posted:

It is actually not the consensus opinion. It probably is amongst your group of friends who are of a similar age and who enjoy a lot of the same things, and with particularly loud people on the internet, but most people like it. You can tell because it, and it's sequel, made a poo poo ton of money. People saw it, and wanted to see more.

Like, I think the Transformers movies are utter poo poo. My friends agree. But that doesn't mean most people agree.

TLJ is clearly more divisive, and I don't really know what the "consensus opinion" on it is or will be, if there even is one. But I think, over time, it's going to be remembered as one of the great Star Wars movies, with kind of a weak middle section.

Covok posted:

This is one really weird article. "The Last Jedi is currently making a ton of money. Is the franchise doomed?" Uh, no. I'm going with the old Daily Show rule of, "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered with No."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's a crime Lando hasn't shown up yet but isn't the reason mostly to do with Billy Dee Williams being too old and a bit infirm at this point? Pretty sad because I would have to think if they could have had Lando, TLJ would be very different

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwBhjZ_4uk

It’s kind of tough to watch, but if you make it to 80 and aren’t at least this messed up, you wasted your youth.

EDIT: I don’t know how to embed from mobile any more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's gotta be partially Williams himself feeling like he's not up to it, because I'm sure the studio could figure out a way to film a few scenes with him. He may not want to have that be the last thing he's remembered for, a washed up decrepit Lando trotted out to say a few lines and then straight back to the nursing home.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Blazing Ownager posted:

a PS/2 cutscene that goes on like 20 minutes past it's welcome.

Have you ever played a PS2?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maxwell Lord posted:

A year after the movie was released, the most powerful nation on Earth started a pointless war on false pretenses largely to distract from domestic problems and justify continued executive overreach. Dissent was labelled unpatriotic and treasonous.

It really is funny that it predates the second Iraq War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwBhjZ_4uk

It’s kind of tough to watch, but if you make it to 80 and aren’t at least this messed up, you wasted your youth.

EDIT: I don’t know how to embed from mobile any more.

This is really tough to watch, but it's not like he'd have to do stunts (or dancing) to have a small part. I'm honestly guessing (and this isn't really an original idea, tons of people have mentioned it) that Episode IX will open several years after TLJ, and the first scene will be Leia's funeral. The scroll can end with something like, "...as our group of heroes gather to say goodbye to a fallen friend..." Then Lando could be there, as some big wig in the new Rebellion, and then head off to gather resources...or something. I dunno, I'm not a writer, but it wouldn't be hard to work him in.

That being said, you certainly don't need him, so it's no big deal if they don't.

edit: Fixed a typo, was talking about Episode IX, not XI.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 28, 2017