Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Wildly exaggerating for comedic intent. I didn't expect so many people to jump down my throat over it, but here we are.

edit: Maybe I didn't exaggerate enough. If I had said 12 do you think people would have thrown the same tier of shitfit?

You probably needed to photoshop like an entire wall of Oculus sensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

GlyphGryph posted:

Does rift have anything like the Pucks coming out soon?

I am really excited to try those (I am working on convincing the Gorn guy to add kicking people) and wondering if the Rift-verse is working on anything simpler.

It's somewhat more of a technical problem on the Rift, since the Rift flashes the IR lights on the headset/controllers to identify to the camera which is which. The more tracked items it has, the longer the flashed codes have to be and the more likely the cameras are to mis-identify something.

However, that's not to say it's impossible. I seem to recall reading that the Rift could probably track 2-3 more things before it started to become an issue.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

I would suggest not trying to push through VR sickness. That's a great way to condition yourself into getting sick in VR. What kind of games are you playing? Are you playing joystick/touchpad locomotion games? I've seen people saying that playing as long as you can and stopping as soon as you feel ill is the best way to deal with it. Also, is it possible you aren't getting a good framerate? I find that some games end with me feeling off because the framerate wasn't hitting 90.

Wanted to echo everything you said. Stop playing if you start to get sick. Trying to force through really won’t be fun. Promise you.

Similar poo poo here with frame rate when I had a slower gpu. Defiantly had problems with some games due to that alone.

Now holy poo poo. I started playing serious Sam tonight. Wooooooow. Not for people with no VR legs. Wooooaaah buddy. It’s so good though. Started the first one and gonna work through all of them. So good!!!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
This might not seem impressive if you don't play much Echo Arena but this is easily the best save I've ever seen anyone make in this game

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrazyFragileCaterpillarOSsloth

He was stunned so he couldn't move, and right as he gets unstunned he catches the disk just barely outside the goal with his arm fully extended when it was thrown super fast from just feet away, all of which is hilariously difficult and requires insane reactions

The guy who attempted the shot is the one saying "what the gently caress?" Lmafao

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

rio posted:

Have any of you had vr sickness and lost it over time? I wasn’t bothered much by it when I first got it but a month after getting the Rift I get it often now and it makes me feel sick for a couple hours or so afterwards which really sucks. Might be that I am playing more games with locomotion but I’m hoping that pushing through it and trying to do it often might make it go away eventually. If it doesn’t go away I’d rather avoid anything that makes me feel this lovely though and stick to more friendly stuff.

I stopped getting sim sickness after a few months into using VR, but I've been noticing I've been getting nauseous after extended sessions of FO4VR, probably because of the awful performance and poorly implemented artificial locomotion (stairs can be murder).

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I don't understand why people get so much issues with sensor placement in roomscale. Admittedly I only have 2 (Rift) and I just plopped one one on the desk near monitor, another on window sill and that was it. Setup complained that they are not equal distance from me but I ignored it and never had any problems even if they get moved a little which they do. Considering how well my half-assed setup works I can't imagine ever needing more than 3rd sensor.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I went to the trouble of drilling some holes and properly mounting my lighthouses and that bit took me >15 minutes (though I imagine not everyone has a drill at home?)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

I went to the trouble of drilling some holes and properly mounting my lighthouses and that bit took me >15 minutes (though I imagine not everyone has a drill at home?)

Not everyone owns their home/apartment.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Sekenr posted:

I don't understand why people get so much issues with sensor placement in roomscale. Admittedly I only have 2 (Rift) and I just plopped one one on the desk near monitor, another on window sill and that was it. Setup complained that they are not equal distance from me but I ignored it and never had any problems even if they get moved a little which they do. Considering how well my half-assed setup works I can't imagine ever needing more than 3rd sensor.

Same. I have one sensor on a window sill and another diagonally from it on a tripod so I can put it away to make the room neater. With 2 sensors in a 8x6 foot play space I only get tracking issues when moving far into the opposite corners from where the sensors are. Really it's a non-issue since few games have you wandering around so much in your play space.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Over ten years the last sixish apartments I've rented have been fine with small holes for mounting anchors/screws/nails. They're easy to fill in. But always check your lease/with your landlord.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Vive lighthouses are more difficult to set up than the rift cameras, by far. They need to not just be able to see you, but also each other in a way that never becomes obstructed and are opposite each other. So they need to be mounted above your head, and since they physically move they need to be mounted very firmly and not just placed on a shelf. People with hanging light fixtures, or who dont own your home, or who travel doing demos will have even more trouble.

Getting a set of camera or contractor poles is basically a must for anyone who cant set-them-and-forget them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bremen posted:

It's somewhat more of a technical problem on the Rift, since the Rift flashes the IR lights on the headset/controllers to identify to the camera which is which. The more tracked items it has, the longer the flashed codes have to be and the more likely the cameras are to mis-identify something.

However, that's not to say it's impossible. I seem to recall reading that the Rift could probably track 2-3 more things before it started to become an issue.

Correct. The Rift's tracking as currently implemented can support 128 tracked points. The headset has 44 and each controller has 24, leaving 36 available for future use without modification. A single additional tracked item should be pretty easy, more than that would become a problem.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

wolrah posted:

Correct. The Rift's tracking as currently implemented can support 128 tracked points. The headset has 44 and each controller has 24, leaving 36 available for future use without modification. A single additional tracked item should be pretty easy, more than that would become a problem.

And just to note for anyone curious, it already has support for a 3rd controller to act as a tracked item, primarily to use for mixed reality stuff (they also have a model you can 3d print to mount it), but you could theoretically use it in whatever capacity.

I also saw this which sounds like possibly some disappointing news about the pimax? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pimax-8k-vr-headset-delayed,36185.html

quote:

Pimax is still in search of feedback, but that’s not the primary source of the production delay. The company promised dual 4K displays that can operate at 90Hz. However, it’s having difficulty achieving that goal. Pimax maintains that 90Hz is “theoretically feasible,” but its current solution falls short. The company is “exploring a new hardware solution” and expects to have an answer in March.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Truga posted:

On this note the plastic drywall anchors the vive comes with make no sense whatsoever -- they're sealed and you can't actually put the screws through them.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

GlyphGryph posted:

Vive lighthouses are more difficult to set up than the rift cameras, by far. They need to not just be able to see you, but also each other in a way that never becomes obstructed and are opposite each other. So they need to be mounted above your head, and since they physically move they need to be mounted very firmly and not just placed on a shelf. People with hanging light fixtures, or who dont own your home, or who travel doing demos will have even more trouble.

Getting a set of camera or contractor poles is basically a must for anyone who cant set-them-and-forget them.

I think both have their own challenges. Having them high up isn't actually a huge deal when all you need is a nearby power outlet. While I hopped on the contractor pole bandwagon at first, they've been collecting dust -- you can do a lot with a pair of bar clamps. I've attached my lighthouses to blinds headrails, bookshelves, dividing walls, cabinets, door jambs, and even a door with a vacuum propped against it. No tracking issues from that.

May seem like a pain, but not having to worry about running cables is worth it IMO, since there's much less risk of some chucklefuck tripping over a cable and sending your sensor tumbling down.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowHawk posted:

On this note the plastic drywall anchors the vive comes with make no sense whatsoever -- they're sealed and you can't actually put the screws through them.

Yeah, I just used the brutal force, but they are very weird.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I would suggest not trying to push through VR sickness. That's a great way to condition yourself into getting sick in VR. What kind of games are you playing? Are you playing joystick/touchpad locomotion games? I've seen people saying that playing as long as you can and stopping as soon as you feel ill is the best way to deal with it. Also, is it possible you aren't getting a good framerate? I find that some games end with me feeling off because the framerate wasn't hitting 90.

That’s good to know that I was approaching conditioning the wrong way. I think I am getting 90 FPS - the two games with basically all locomotion are Minecraft and Orbus VR. Orbus has teleport but I don’t really like it in that game. They also have a disorienting forced teleport up stairs and other objects where you can’t really guess when exactly the teleport will start. I can play for about an hour and the VR sickness sneaks up on me - I don’t throw up easily so I don’t feel like I will actually puke which is why I was trying to go a little longer each time but I sure feel miserable when it comes on and there is a point where I just have to take off the headset and lay down to close my eyes and not look at anything.

Is there a way to view FPS within the headset with a Rift? I had checked off some setting in the tray tool that I thought would do that but nothing happens. I like to know my FPS even on flat screen games so it would be really useful to see it on vr games too.

Another game that gets me sick but not as quickly is VR Chat, which is often jumping down to 45 FPS and I guess is reprojecting whenever there are any amount of weird character models around (which is most of the time). Since it is adding frames to technically keep it looking like 90 FPS, does reprojection make your brain think you are looking at 90 FPS or does it know that you are seeing 45 FPS?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
download openvr advanced settings, works in steamvr and shows reprojection % as well as total number of dropped/reprojected frames. lots of other handy stuff too.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I Expect You To Die for Oculus is $5 on Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Expect-You-Online-Game-Code/dp/B0741TB199

Just redeemed on my account without any issues.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Speaking of Amazon, someone reported that the slow-shipping for $1 digital credits you can sometimes get can be applied towards Oculus store or Steam keys you buy, which is pretty cool.

I've been getting $10 credits for people installing crap in my home lately, but maybe one day I'll get the digital credits again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Ginger before/during a play session definitely helps a lot.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Recently finished AZ sunshine. It's the game I've always wanted for the most part. If they could add a mode that scraps most of the voiceover, make it strictly Romero slow walkers, and incorporate H3VR reloading, I'd never take the headset off.

Sacred Cow posted:

Nice catch!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Anyone else had the issue with the vive controller touchpads going soft? One lasted approximately 15 hours and went soft, now the other one. How is HTCs warranty service? Kinda sucks to have to mail off controllers after 2 days of use.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Sacred Cow posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Expect-You-Online-Game-Code/dp/B0741TB199

Just redeemed on my account without any issues.

Just as the Rift store puts it on daily sale for $5.
Interestingly, Star Trek is also the daily deal on Rift for $30, but is $25 on Amazon right now.

Still debating getting Star Trek as it sounds like it doesn't have a ton of content and my backlog of VR is getting pretty insane.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Anyone else had the issue with the vive controller touchpads going soft? One lasted approximately 15 hours and went soft, now the other one. How is HTCs warranty service? Kinda sucks to have to mail off controllers after 2 days of use.

I feel like people just fix it themselves. And agreed that’s super lovely.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Just as the Rift store puts it on daily sale for $5.
Interestingly, Star Trek is also the daily deal on Rift for $30, but is $25 on Amazon right now.

Still debating getting Star Trek as it sounds like it doesn't have a ton of content and my backlog of VR is getting pretty insane.

I refunded Star Trek. You need to be *really* into ST or basic cooperative games to enjoy it. It is quite basic.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

EbolaIvory posted:

I feel like people just fix it themselves. And agreed that’s super lovely.

I would and it doesn't seem too difficult, but the fix I saw voids the warranty and I'm not so keen on voiding the warranty on a 135$ controller if their customer service isn't too crappy.

Been having a blast otherwise! The Lab has been a perfect intro for friends and family, even got my parents in their 70's having a good time with it!

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Can ubisoft just add VR to Far Cry 5 with Co-Op? Thanks.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nukelear v.2 posted:

The only issue with the game, which is the big issue that makes it not worth the full price is how lacking in depth each of the stations are. It's a very simple game, with little in the means of optimisation. This is an issue with every bridge crew type game, but hopefully the submarine ones will fix this. The very first one, HMS Marulken (now named Wolfpack) gave just enough for everyone to be doing something at any given time and had combat be something that needed everybody's input. Ironwolf is getting further and further along in that regard as time goes by. Not sure about Atlantic Ghost, but that's likely to be decent as well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The only issue with the game, which is the big issue that makes it not worth the full price is how lacking in depth each of the stations are. It's a very simple game, with little in the means of optimisation. This is an issue with every bridge crew type game, but hopefully the submarine ones will fix this. The very first one, HMS Marulken (now named Wolfpack) gave just enough for everyone to be doing something at any given time and had combat be something that needed everybody's input. Ironwolf is getting further and further along in that regard as time goes by. Not sure about Atlantic Ghost, but that's likely to be decent as well.

I found most of the fun in Bridge Crew was being the captain and playing with a mix of super new people and more experienced people. It was interesting to need to figure out how much direction you needed to give each individual person, like some people you could say "kill that guy" and other people you'd need to say "ok, hack that guy's shields. Once the hack is finished, fire phasers at this thing until it dies. Don't fire anything until the hack is done!" It did get old after a while but I still had a lot of fun with it.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Thanks, I'll probably avoid until it goes on a deeper discount then. No idea they were making sub sims, those look like they could be fun. Was just looking at the Blackwake thread and wishing it was VR.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Ironwolf is getting further and further along in that regard as time goes by.

Does this have locomotion? It seems to not, which is a pretty silly user funnel to apply to your coop game in an already niche genre.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Seashell Salesman posted:

Does this have locomotion? It seems to not, which is a pretty silly user funnel to apply to your coop game in an already niche genre.

It doesn't particularly need it, but I believe they have workarounds for those in rooms too small to cope. The rooms you're in are tiny anyway and opening the way to another room places you in the center of that room. I do know for a fact that you can do a 180 degree snap turn if you use a front facing setup.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone tried nervosa escape yet

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fooz posted:

Can ubisoft just add VR to Far Cry 5 with Co-Op? Thanks.

Far Cry Blood Dragon is the best Far Cry, the scope is smaller and more managable, the engine and assets are older making it more scalable and the aesthetic is a perfect fit for VR.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Bridge Crew is good when you play with friends and you’re all drunk.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I would and it doesn't seem too difficult, but the fix I saw voids the warranty and I'm not so keen on voiding the warranty on a 135$ controller if their customer service isn't too crappy.

Been having a blast otherwise! The Lab has been a perfect intro for friends and family, even got my parents in their 70's having a good time with it!

I had it happen twice, first time I exchanged via shop I bought from, second I spread the seam apart and operated with some dental tools I have for electronics work. Both worked fine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
you can also try squeezing the controller (like you would the grip buttons but further up) and banging the controller against something. this is apparently a temporary fix.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

SwissCM posted:

Far Cry Blood Dragon is the best Far Cry, the scope is smaller and more managable, the engine and assets are older making it more scalable and the aesthetic is a perfect fit for VR.

I've had this exact thought. I'd love to play Blood Dragon in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well I ended up not liking Orbus as much as I'd thought. It's a really cool concept but the tutorial at the start wasn't very helpful and when I finally got through that it just didn't feel like a substantial enough game to warrant $40 at all.