Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i actually still need earth items is the real kicker of all this, but wasting my extra fifty pull on arguably the worst of the five banners with exactly the same odds to go 1/11 with the same galuf lmr doesnt feel smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

rabidsquid posted:

i actually still need earth items is the real kicker of all this, but wasting my extra fifty pull on arguably the worst of the five banners with exactly the same odds to go 1/11 with the same galuf lmr doesnt feel smart.

somewhere out there the one person whose favorite character is galuf is cursing their luck as they lack this vital part of his kit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So while I slowly slog my way through the Realm Dungeons someone tell me how viable my current party of Cait Sith/Gilgamesh/Lulu/Rikki/Tidus will be longterm.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

So while I slowly slog my way through the Realm Dungeons someone tell me how viable my current party of Cait Sith/Gilgamesh/Lulu/Rikki/Tidus will be longterm.

depends highly on what relics you've got but at some point you're gonna have to drop one of 'em for a healer

Griz
May 21, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

if only I could trade you one of the three Gladiolus BSBs I just got as a 3/11

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

In case anyone was wondering, Protect the Espers is just a reskinned Crystal Tower. I really held back assuming there would be a Kefka endboss or a second wave or something. Which means I learned that A) you need three guys to go into a fight to master it, and B) doesn't matter how high level your guy is if Sandworm eats them and you went in solo.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!

rabidsquid posted:

i challenge anyone in the thread to get a worse pull on the earth banner:

Sup, 1/11 Galuf LMR buddy :hfive:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So I'm good enough to beat the level 200 torment dungeons now. What's the best use of class motes? Unlock two copies of the ability and the ability to use it on relevant characters? The 3% damage for 15 motes seems like a raw deal.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Time to legend dive Bartz.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Spikey posted:

It does not disappoint. I don't even have his LM yet but it feels drat good when you get that first triple cast (Spellblade Master RM plus dive) of a Quadstrike into an eight hit chaser with Cloud USB RW up.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Just curious, what's the maximum amount of casts possible if he has all three 2/3x spellblade materias?

Quintuple cast + 8-hit chase was the best I've seen personally

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Spikey posted:

Ive got like 300 of every 4* more except vitality...I somehow only have 40 and the only fully diced character I have is cloud.

One day Butz...and OK...and Tidus...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Update: completely haphazardly thrown together team with Bartz on it managed to kill Tonberry King in under 20 seconds. Now imagine that with an actual good, single-target 5* Earth spellblade.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jebeebus posted:

Just curious, what's the maximum amount of casts possible if he has all three 2/3x spellblade materias?

Quintuple cast + 8-hit chase was the best I've seen personally

Both legend materias and the record materia can all proc separately, so if you have all three equipped he can potentially hit six times plus chasers in one turn. Although there's only a 0.5% chance of that actually happening.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Fister Roboto posted:

Both legend materias and the record materia can all proc separately, so if you have all three equipped he can potentially hit six times plus chasers in one turn. Although there's only a 0.5% chance of that actually happening.

Five hits. Base, +2 for triplecast, +1 for doublecast, +1 for doublecast.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Edit: Beaten like every enemy that faces Bartz.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Every attack is a quintuple cast if you reset the fight enough

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Blockhouse posted:

As said, you're eventually not going to be able to progress unless you specifically use characters you have great relics for. Then, you'll be blocked by content needing specific loadouts (mage team, phy team, element team, etc), and then by content requiring 4 or 5 entirely different teams (20-25 individually geared characters).

Using your favourites is great and always a good thing (I still get to use Fran regularly!), but sometimes you will have to deviate from the A-team.

You mentioned you liked Tidus -- try to get some Mythril together for the upcoming Banner 3 of the fest, because two extremely powerful relics of his are on it!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

ceaselessfuture posted:

As said, you're eventually not going to be able to progress unless you specifically use characters you have great relics for. Then, you'll be blocked by content needing specific loadouts (mage team, phy team, element team, etc), and then by content requiring 4 or 5 entirely different teams (20-25 individually geared characters).

Using your favourites is great and always a good thing (I still get to use Fran regularly!), but sometimes you will have to deviate from the A-team.

You mentioned you liked Tidus -- try to get some Mythril together for the upcoming Banner 3 of the fest, because two extremely powerful relics of his are on it!

That's for the game in general though. For realm dungeons in particular you can pretty much just power through as long as you make sure to read the boss descriptions first to make sure they don't hard-block you. Near the end for example there's a pair boss where one is immune to physical and one immune to magic flat-out.

But if you're paying attention to events as they happen and trying to get through them as far as you can and getting new stuff and powering up and all that (as opposed to ignoring them all in favor of realm dungeons, not recommended) then the realm ones are going to definitely be the easiest part of what you tackle. There's just so dang many of them and they ramp up so slowly that by the time you're clearing difficulty 99+ in events you'll probably still be in the 50s.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Badly need earth stuff like I guess everyone else and pulled.

2/11, both Gladiolus' BSB, womp. It doesn't look *that* bad I guess but having an en-earth on a character that has like literally 1 earth ability is not exactly what I was after. Can he actually pump out decent damage with his CM1 if his defense is high enough, or is it a really lovely multiplier? If it's like Guardbringer-level I think I can work with that.

Not pulling again because honestly this banner is pretty lovely and I shouldn't have even done this one, but the lure of the chain + Bartz USB was too much.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

2/11, both Gladiolus' BSB, womp. It doesn't look *that* bad I guess but having an en-earth on a character that has like literally 1 earth ability is not exactly what I was after. Can he actually pump out decent damage with his CM1 if his defense is high enough, or is it a really lovely multiplier? If it's like Guardbringer-level I think I can work with that.

Not pulling again because honestly this banner is pretty lovely and I shouldn't have even done this one, but the lure of the chain + Bartz USB was too much.

It's worse than Guardbringer and we'll get Earthbringer eventually.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Shield Slam: 1/2/3/4/5 single attacks (0,48 each) at 327/654/1700/2490 DEF
Guardbringer: 2/3/4 single attacks (1,00 each) at 798/2736 DEF

So signifigantly worse.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
It's worse, but I've gotten some pretty decent use out of Gladio BSB at least. It isn't the worst relic in the world.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

:toot:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd like Gladio BSB to combo with his OSB, but I don't think it's worth half the bad stuff on this banner.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ceaselessfuture posted:

Yeah seeing the banner review in the thread has convinced me I need to go all into that. I like all the characters on that banner.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hell yeah

AND I skipped the black fang

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

:stare:

. . . I withdraw all my complaints about my lackluster Happy Gacha and Lucky pulls leading up to this Fest. I also apologize for ever believing JP would disappoint me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I got bartz usb (woo) guy bsb (yeah) maria bsb (dupe)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I rolled on this banner because I really need earth stuff to beat hydra

I got galuf usb :( and some earth bsb like Gladio and Ursula

To be fair though I’m actually gonna use it all to beat the magicite

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok so now what do I do for the hydra magicite fight

Galuf usb
Tifa usb/bsb1
Gladio OSB/BSB
Yang BSB (seems good but he dies so quickly)
Ursula BSB

I’ve been egging a lot of them to 99 so wanna figure out if I’m wasting resources while I shuffle around seeing what works.

I can do most magicite under a minute but can’t figure out this one.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ceaselessfuture posted:

Uh could you check and tell us what they are? You might have pulled three top-tier relics including a chain!

You actually did decently on the Newcomer banner too, so grats!

Jecht's blitzball is top tier? Sweet I'm a newbie and got one on the christmas banner.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Washout posted:

Jecht's blitzball is top tier? Sweet I'm a newbie and got one on the christmas banner.

Jecht has a bunch of balls. Most of them are terrible. The previous poster was too vague for us to know which one they got.

Which one do you have?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

With just 100 mythril I'm planning to pull on the banner with all the Cloud stuff cause that has the most characters I actually know/like. But is it even really possible to catch up without spending real :20bux:? Reading up on the meta elsewhere sounds like I'm already screwed for not having some kind of wall grimoire and shout skill anyway. :(

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
As a new player the game showers Mythril on you at a ridiculous pace. You're going to acquire hundreds of free mythril (probably close to 1k by now?) before you start to run low on story content. If you're patient and pull mostly on Fests instead of just whatever random banner you like, you'll end up with a stacked collection of relics that will make vets jealous.

You might want to look at a pull on banner 3 and a pull on banner 5. Banner 5 has a bunch of top tier BSBs that most vets already have. Any of Ramza BSB2 (Shout but better), Cid Raines BSB or Shadow BSB would be amazing for a new player. Banner 3 has better top prizes (Cloud USB being the biggest) but Banner 5 has better consolation prizes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok so now what do I do for the hydra magicite fight

Galuf usb
Tifa usb/bsb1
Gladio OSB/BSB
Yang BSB (seems good but he dies so quickly)
Ursula BSB

I’ve been egging a lot of them to 99 so wanna figure out if I’m wasting resources while I shuffle around seeing what works.

I can do most magicite under a minute but can’t figure out this one.

I can sub-60 Hydra fairly consistently with similar relics - Fabula Guardian will negate most of Yang's drawbacks. Galuf/Gladio/Yang is a decent attacker combination, and you can have a good healer and a buff/Entrust bot for the last slot.

Alternatively, use a double/triple Entrust setup with Gladio BSB/OSB and Galuf to help support/contribute chip damage.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Woo Finally did my first Magicite Dungeon. Only ones remaining up were the Blood feud of RAIDEN OF MIST and TERROR BALTIMORE with no hones left on each of their main attacks.
Poor Garnet and Penelo were charred corpses and Edward was possibly never there to begin with.

But I did it, finally got my crack rocks. Now to endlessly farm this for pointless reasons.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Man, it's a little discouraging when you spend 240 stam only to net you a whopping 3 major orbs. I feel like I'd rather just stick to Torments for the consistent rates.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

rabidsquid posted:

i challenge anyone in the thread to get a worse pull on the earth banner:

All I got was the Tifa LMR, and I have none of her relics aside her very 1st one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Washout posted:

Any non-Y'shtola USB is top tier by virtue of being a USB really. There are bad ones, but they're generally the exception. Jecht's is a pretty standard one, but a standard USB is still one you can leverage for ages.

• Locked thread