Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's pretty clear what he means in the context of "I tell them lies," but they're using that to invalidate the whole story.

So far this is the best / only explanation for Bad Dad Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

How can anyone be that aggressively dense?
Well...

moths posted:

Reddit.
:shrug:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I like the idea that the Emperor's personality that you see is as much of a construct from the viewer as his face is.

Do you want a noble patrician? That's what you see
Do you want a god like mechanical being? That is what you see
Do you want a god like chump you can manipulate? That is what you see.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not a book, but everybody seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=medYpKTrBAQ

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It looks rad. I like the scale of the marines and their terrifying speed and endurance, which seems emphasized here. Pretty sure I saw a dude fighting without an arm.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

:staredog:
god drat

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

VanSandman posted:

It looks rad. I like the scale of the marines and their terrifying speed and endurance, which seems emphasized here. Pretty sure I saw a dude fighting without an arm.

He was taking bolter shells and plasma shots as he ran i think.

Having the regular people getting gibbed right next to the giants in armor fighting is real cool.

Especially shows how the Contemptor dreadnaught is so vicious at the end there.

Zasze posted:

:staredog:
god drat

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Not to reduce this, because I think it's fully sick work- but I feel like I've seen a few of the shots before.

Did he use the animation rigging and set pieces for the Gears of War E-day scenes for the fleeing civilians as a base? It's been a while but I'm feeling a familiarity.

It's be super hyped to see a "making of" feature, the quality of the models alone is insane.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That trailer's great but goddamn I hope that's not the final voicework.

Some better mics at the least c'mon.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think the animation is amazing, but I don’t know if it is my old man ears or what but I had trouble understanding what the marines were saying.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I think the animation is amazing, but I don’t know if it is my old man ears or what but I had trouble understanding what the marines were saying.

It's not just you. Not only to they have some heavy voice modulation on the lines but they sound like they were recorded on crap mics by some buds on Skype with little to no prior voice acting experience.

Same problems as The Lord Inquisitor had.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Jonathan Keeble voices for Helsreach are excellent since they're from the audiobook but the couple here and there that he recast for diversity's sake aren't always the best.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's frustrating af because they clearly put so much effort into the video and then literally phoned in the audio.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

GW doesn't deserve its fans.

moths posted:

It's frustrating af because they clearly put so much effort into the video and then literally phoned in the audio.

Its not like marines have been particularly understandable since dawn of war came out.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I feel lile unintelligible astartes is actually kinda cool and background friendly. Don't they usually talk in a specific coded dialect anyways when not talking directly to humans?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ADB says they just switch to peer to peer vox links when they don't want humans to overhear them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, the coded dialects are an Imperial Guard thing, but they're not exactly difficult to crack apparently.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

ADB says they just switch to peer to peer vox links when they don't want humans to overhear them.

I really like the bit in the Helsreach stuff where Guardsmen look around nervously as the astartes *click-beep* between themselves on a lift elevator.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Immanentized posted:

I feel lile unintelligible astartes is actually kinda cool and background friendly. Don't they usually talk in a specific coded dialect anyways when not talking directly to humans?
Isn't that just a White Scar thing? At least that's what I got from the TSS Podcast about them. Also that Voldorius is a punk bitch.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is this supposed to be any particular world in Ultramar? The wide shot of the explosions and tracers shooting into the sky has a shadow that looks like a ship falling to the planet surface making me think of either Calth or Nuceria. A ship does get knocked out of the sky in Betrayer, right? It’s been a while and several books since I’ve read it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

Its not like marines have been particularly understandable since dawn of war came out.

The filter is fine, but the acting was abysmal in spots. It's some random teenager trying really hard to deliver DoW dialogue, and it shows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

X_Toad posted:

Isn't that just a White Scar thing? At least that's what I got from the TSS Podcast about them. Also that Voldorius is a punk bitch.

In the Horus Heresy books, at least, it was a thing in every legion. All Marines can speak Low and High Gothic, but amongst themselves each legion had its own language taken from their homeworld.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

moths posted:

The filter is fine, but the acting was abysmal in spots. It's some random teenager trying really hard to deliver DoW dialogue, and it shows.

If it was all the shouting and yelling it would honestly be better. When people try to read lines dramatically without the writing to back it up it just sounds terrible.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

MariusLecter posted:

I really like the bit in the Helsreach stuff where Guardsmen look around nervously as the astartes *click-beep* between themselves on a lift elevator.

You'd be nervous too, stuck in an enclosed space with something that could and would rip out your spine if they saw a reason too.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Basically it's like that episode of TNG where that alien race spoke in allegories. While giving battle orders they'd reference something that only those in the legion would understand since it's meaningless without context.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I was thinking about getting into some WH:Fantasy stuff. I really enjoyed Eisenhorn when I read it like 10 years ago, should I start with Fell Cargo because it's Abnett or Witch Hunter since it's similar thematically?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I was thinking about getting into some WH:Fantasy stuff. I really enjoyed Eisenhorn when I read it like 10 years ago, should I start with Fell Cargo because it's Abnett or Witch Hunter since it's similar thematically?

Fell Cargo is great if you like the swashbuckling sub-genre, but for someone who is just getting into the wh fantasy world, I'd recommend the Gotrek & Felix books, especially if you can get them cheaply, the first four or five books are easy to read and introduce a lot of the warhammer world little by little. The first ones are, if I recall correctly, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Demonslayer and Dragonslayer.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 27, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

Fell Cargo is great if you like the swashbuckling sub-genre, but for someone who is just getting into the wh fantasy world, I'd recommend the Gotrek & Felix books, especially if you can get them cheaply, the first four or five books are easy to read and introduce a lot of the warhammer world little by little. The first ones are, if I recall correctly, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Demonslayer and Dragonslayer.

my first WH:F book was Witchhunter and I enjoyed it

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Witch Hunter is good, so you'll be ok there.

Warhammer Fantasy is tough, since there are no real good "starter" books - you kind of have to be a little familiar with the Warhammer world. To be honest though, if you have a basic understanding of LotR or D&D, you should be able to get by. Just remember that everything is lovely and on the edge of collapse.

As an aside, if you can get a hold of the RPG books, they are chock full of lore and background.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They fixed the audio,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhULhHCk_D8

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Drachenfels is a pretty great way to get started reading the fantasy stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Angry Lobster posted:

And tbh just stop there. They get pretty lovely after that.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Serpent Queen was quite a fun read, in my opinion.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't know if they get lovely, but they certainly suffer from the "Ciaphas Cain" problem in that they become more of the same, book after book.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Warmaster cannot be gotten physically. Out of stock on amazon and the book depository. Popped into my local GW to be told I would have to pay for it upfront before they could order it in for me. Thanks Dan.

(I didn't order it.)

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Southpaugh posted:

The Warmaster cannot be gotten physically. Out of stock on amazon and the book depository. Popped into my local GW to be told I would have to pay for it upfront before they could order it in for me. Thanks Dan.

(I didn't order it.)

Grab it in kindle maybe? Your local bookshop might be able to order it in too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southpaugh posted:

(I didn't order it.)

That is the pretty standard way that GW has always done store orders.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's the way all bookstores do orders

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's the way all bookstores do orders

What? At most you get a 15% deposit round these parts. Paying before receipt of an item at a store makes no sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
When I order or pre-order models at my FLGS I pay full price up front as well. It's extremely weird to me that you'd expect anything else.