Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tracy Butler posted comics of her cat characters doing Star Wars stuff, and it makes me wish she'd relaunch the comic as a cat-themed adaption of The Empire Strikes Back:

http://lackadaisycats.tumblr.com/post/168901490293/uh-oh-its-a-star-war-i-drew-these-for-patrons

It would be the greatest 7 pages of cat-themed star wars comics ever

Not quite sure how well Mordecai works as Kylo Ren, but the rest are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I want an adventure type webcomic with continuity. What would you all recommend?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I want an adventure type webcomic with continuity. What would you all recommend?

Kill six billion demons
Rice boy/vattu
The property of hate
Cassiopea quinn
Mare inturnum
Stonebreaker
Cucumber quest

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 24, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Rice Boy is a goddamn masterpiece and it's finished, dive into that.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

punk rebel ecks posted:

Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Just Offscreen posted:

Kill six billion demons
Rice boy/vattu
Cucumber quest
All of these are good, but these ones especially.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

punk rebel ecks posted:

Digger

Best of all its finished.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FunkyAl posted:

Hey thanks guys! Webcomics may be dead but I'm glad you guys like the one that I make

Difficult to parse is my middle name!!! When I do a confusing layout like the first one I try mitigate it a little by making it more or less sequentially unimportant which order you read them in. You don't have to read the sidebar before or after any other part of the page, it just exists with all the other events that depict the total event of running on top of a bunch of pipes and escaping a prison, if that makes any sense. As for the pig thats just porky again, I wanted to use color to make him seem way angrier.
Thats a cool/interesting way of doing things, braking the rules in a way that doesn't really affect the actual flow of the important parts of the page.

The pig thing i think is confusing to me because the colour change combined with how much the characters change and deform makes it hard to tell which pig its meant to be. None of the three in the previous panels have that squiggly thing going on with the cheeks. Maybe it's more obvious in the context of previous pages.

Legit not trying to rag on you, this does look cool and reading 2 random pages probably isn't the best way to get a feel of what your comic is doing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i need to reread digger at some point

also

Tollymain posted:

anybody here reading Backlash?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tollymain posted:

i need to reread digger at some point

I believe the author recorded an audio commentary track for the PDF version, you might want to seek that out.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that sounds absolutely killer

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The audio commentary only goes up to chapter ten right now. I'd suggest waiting for the last part to come out but it's about a year between each one.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

World Famous W posted:

Digger

Best of all its finished.

gently caress yes read digger.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Desmond Fishman showing an interest in a person not himself? :monocle:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Desmond Fishman showing an interest in a person not himself? :monocle:

It's a Christmas miracle!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is loving awesome thanks!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dominic Deegan

I read far too many webcomics, so here's a list of stuff that could reasonably be considered adventure comics with continuity.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Mr Phillby posted:

Thats a cool/interesting way of doing things, braking the rules in a way that doesn't really affect the actual flow of the important parts of the page.

The pig thing i think is confusing to me because the colour change combined with how much the characters change and deform makes it hard to tell which pig its meant to be. None of the three in the previous panels have that squiggly thing going on with the cheeks. Maybe it's more obvious in the context of previous pages.

Legit not trying to rag on you, this does look cool and reading 2 random pages probably isn't the best way to get a feel of what your comic is doing.

Don't sweat it dogg! imo people are to squeamish about offering critique online as it is, if something's not clear it's fine to say so!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Is Unsounded an "adventure" comic?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Axiem posted:

This looks loving amazing!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Axiem posted:

punk rebel ecks posted:

This looks loving amazing!

It is, though everyone says the first chapter or so is a bit grating, and I would tend to agree.

But if you can get through or entirely skip that, Unsounded is one of my favorites.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unsounded is a gorgeous comic, but I eventually dropped it because the story started to feel to me like it was designed to prioritize being fun to write over being fun to read. That's a bit of a vague thing to say but I stand by it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

Unsounded is a gorgeous comic, but I eventually dropped it because the story started to feel to me like it was designed to prioritize being fun to write over being fun to read. That's a bit of a vague thing to say but I stand by it.

At least you aren't the goon that started melting down over the author's other characters that were unsavory and insisted that this was all a ploy for making people look at her horrible characters and how they knew this sort of person (the author) in high school and everyone should hate this comic now.

Then again, when a prejudiced mage zombie is also probably the most noble character there some depths to plumb as far as relative morals.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 26, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just kind of lose track of it when it goes on hiatus, it just sort of happens

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I can't believe nobody recommended Paranatural.

Also, it seems the Fishman has returned somewhat to the mean.

I wound up going through the gocomics rerun of Bad Machinery, and I've been enjoying it immensely. The bonus parts have all been great thus far. If you want to reread the first few cases (they've just started The case of the Unwelcome Visitor) I heartily recommend it.

I hope that the little girl that was too cute for the Choo Choo Bear to eat becomes Cecile's best friend as part of Bad Machinery: The Next Generation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I caught up on Badnix after falling away for a while, and I forgot how good this comic is. Adventure with practical explorations of the concepts involved with living in a videogame world? And everything is backed up by clever jokes and puns? This is extremely my jam.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's a Christmas miracle!

Your optimism has been punished.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
No one ever said Christmas miracles have to be irreversible.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bongo Bill posted:

It's great but it'll blatantly never get finished.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I've been reading Giant Days by buying it over google play. The December issue was put out in comic stores, but never seems to have made it to the Play Store. Looking through the available issues it seems like a bunch more have failed to be put up for digital sale. Does anyone know what's going on with this?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Galvanik posted:

I've been reading Giant Days by buying it over google play. The December issue was put out in comic stores, but never seems to have made it to the Play Store. Looking through the available issues it seems like a bunch more have failed to be put up for digital sale. Does anyone know what's going on with this?

I read through Comixology and it has them all as usual.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I've been reading Blasphemous Saga Fantasy and I gotta say that this is great. It sorta reminds me of Adventure Time meets Zelda.

I'm really enjoying it.

Unfortunately, I do not like that the comic eventually becomes full color. I preferred the single color" shaded style it had before. I mean yeah it looks "cheaper" but it gave it more character.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wound up going through the gocomics rerun of Bad Machinery, and I've been enjoying it immensely. The bonus parts have all been great thus far. If you want to reread the first few cases (they've just started The case of the Unwelcome Visitor) I heartily recommend it.

Going through this, there's some added panels or even redrawn panels to keep things fresh.
It's also interesting that there have been a couple of strips where John Allison removed jokes that just wouldn't fly today. For example, this strip had a gay joke in it which was removed from the Gocomics version.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I suspect they match the versions published in hardcopy and on comixology, which definitely got some cleanup on their way into book form. Often, I think, to make things flow better when read as a self-contained, complete story, with opportunities taken for little improvements and refinements here and there.

I'm sad that the hardcover editions are no longer being printed in their original huge format -- especially since I have the first six volumes in that format and the seventh looks a bit weird next to them at half the size or so.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've been reading Blasphemous Saga Fantasy and I gotta say that this is great. It sorta reminds me of Adventure Time meets Zelda.

I'm really enjoying it.

Unfortunately, I do not like that the comic eventually becomes full color. I preferred the single color" shaded style it had before. I mean yeah it looks "cheaper" but it gave it more character.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! You’re not the first person to say that about the transition to full color but I really wanted to regularly practice my color theory and coloring in general. Hopefully as that practice starts to really manifest (by Chapters 9 and 10 imo) it gets a little less jarring.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fortis posted:

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! You’re not the first person to say that about the transition to full color but I really wanted to regularly practice my color theory and coloring in general. Hopefully as that practice starts to really manifest (by Chapters 9 and 10 imo) it gets a little less jarring.

Yeah, I got there last night. It does get notably better.

That said, the issue to me isn't that the addition to full color was bad, but more so I felt that the single color shaded style gave the comic more uniqueness and personality. "Less is more" so to speak.

Than again, I tend to prefer black and white over color for comics. I do have a manga background.

But yeah, the comic is fantastic! I read it every night before I go to bed. The story, characters, and tone are great! You should feel proud!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There are to adventure comics I would recommend. Both are finished.

Snarlbear and Kid Radd

http://www.snarlbear.com/comic/chapter-one-cover

https://www.bgreco.net/kidradd/

Snarlbear is about a girl that gets dragged into a twisted fantasy reality where she becomes a monster slayer, but soon learns a disturbing truth about what those monsters actually are and what she will need to do...

Kid Radd is Kid Radd.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kid Radd, comma, the only good thing to ever come out of sprite comics

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How could you do 8 Bit Theater wrong like that?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

PMush Perfect posted:

How could you do 8 Bit Theater wrong like that?

i liked it at the time when I was in like, high school, but i think it's humor/writing have aged horribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

8 bit theater would be good if things kept happening in it, but as it wastes most of its time on endless talking it's actually pretty bad.