Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

but right before that when he was all "sith/jedi/theforce is some dumb bullshit" i was like hell yea kyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Back when TFA came out I thought they were going to reveal that Finn was also force-sensitive in the next movie, and that the story of this new trilogy would revolve around the force literally awakening in all types of people, the opportunity and the danger in its democritization. I thought that was what was being set up in his visions and panic attacks that suddenly caused him to lose his brainwash conditioning. Anyway they totally didn't go in that direction but I thought it would have been cool!

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

what flaws does rey have cuz i dont reall remember

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

luke was whiny n naive

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Turdfuzz posted:

what flaws does rey have cuz i dont reall remember

her--lack of--parents

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

also maybe theyre afraid of doing some "damsel in distress" type thing but luke got his rear end saved by his friends on more than one occasion but rey just seems like she dont need saving
finn sets out to help her in both movies n both times it ends up being pointless iirc

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

the main cast needs to interact w/ each other more

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

poe doesnt even meet rey until the end of this movie

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

in empire ur following luke plus the rest of the gang WHO ARE ALL TOGETHER

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

im not saying its gotta be just like empire but this cast doesnt really feel like a team to me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Turdfuzz posted:

poe doesnt even meet rey until the end of this movie

lol yeah I forgot they had never even met before

the inevitable Twilight love triangle is going to be annoying and Rose needs to go away Finn should have died in his suicide run and saved everyone amen

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

did r2d2 literally only have one scene
i think he did

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Turdfuzz posted:

did r2d2 literally only have one scene
i think he did

2. There was him and luke on the falcon, and then him and luke in the flashback when Kyle burnt down the temple.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

hes in the flashback i guess but hes just a prop there

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

seems pretty suspect that r2d2 was just hanging out watching that temple burn if u ask me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

why didn't he come out and be like yo Luke what's up we here earlier, instead of being all asleep

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Imagine if the central conflict of this new trilogy was like, way more people were becoming force-sensitive now and Kylo Ren was like "haha yes chaos reigns :twisted:" and tried to give everybody Jedi powers and Luke was like "idk if that's such a good idea man" and that was the ideological basis for their conflict instead of "well he was a bad student and I never liked the guy." I think that would have been cool and tied all the principal characters back into the galaxy in a natural way. Instead we just get rebels v. empire forever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Something definitely rubbed me the wrong way about the only two prominent people of color in the cast being relegated to this B-plot where they have wacky hijinks and accomplish nothing of importance.
They sparked a rebellion movement that has already reached at least one force user. What they did on Canto Bight is actually the most important thing anyone did in the movie.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Steve2911 posted:

What did SMG think of Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi?

As far as I'm aware, he's refusing to see it.

So, he's practically embodying Zizek-Luke on Ach-To. Which is unfortunate because I liked his takedowns of TFA. Maybe he'll talk about TLJ later.

It really is a bit disappointing that Rey is such a non-character. I'm so bewildered that she spends her time in the throne room as a prop for Snoke to interact with and to propel Ren's arc. And yet Ridley gives it her all, showing off a pretty good depth of anger and rage with those throat-ripping shouts she does. But then Rey just does... nothing. She is built up to not be wise enough to resist the Dark, and then she just... does. I've said before that she's more a marketing symbol than character and I think that's just unfortunate.

Kylo Ren is the best thing out of the ST and a lot of that comes down to Driver's fantastic acting. He nails the anger and fear and the need for validation at the core of Ren's being that makes him simultaneously scary and pathetic. "Blow that piece of junk OUT OF THE SKY!"

But the ST is always going to be a series of films that basically renders the OT pointless and chucks away all the 'old' (read: less marketable) parts of it like Disney couldn't quite wait to do it. Han at least went out as part of Ren's arc (and everyone expected Ford to die), but Leia lives to be this leader who no one cares about (Use my personal code and people will come running -- but no one shows up, at all), and Luke's death will probably never shake the feeling that Disney did it as post-production retribution to Hamill's repeated critique of the ST. And it's all got this undercurrent of weirdness in that the close-knit team of Han/Luke/Leia hasn't really been replicated at all by Rey/Finn/Poe who basically operate in entirely separate spheres.

Which probably stems from things happening during production like 'Actually, make Poe live' and needing to make it all work.

But, drat, the most interesting part of the ST so far takes place entirely in flashback.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Why do slaves exist in a setting that has droids?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kurzon posted:

Why do slaves exist in a setting that has droids?

Droids are sentient people and therefore also slaves

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I imagine human slaves are a lot cheaper and better suited to easier or more manual stuff.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Agreed that Adam Driver is fantastic. The guy knows how to act and can be subtle too. Even the smallest movement or physical expression tells what’s going on with Kylo or gives the right impression about the character.

Edit: I want to see Driver be given the lead role in an adventure movie like Indy or something. I think he could carry a franchise. He’s making this Sequel Trilogy work. If he doesn’t nail it like he is I think the whole thing collapses.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 28, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Driver's "interesting" face might hold him back a bit from landing those high profile leading man roles. They'd rather give those to someone pretty like Hiddelston or Pratt.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
True. That sucks if he’s held back because he’s really good.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dudes handsome af though?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Dudes handsome af though?

Not really in the traditional sense though, he's not Hollywood handsome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/VagliArt/status/943575313300176896

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Something definitely rubbed me the wrong way about the only two prominent people of color in the cast being relegated to this B-plot where they have wacky hijinks and accomplish nothing of importance.

I thought Poe Dameran was a main character who did a lot of important stuff?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

I thought Poe Dameran was a main character who did a lot of important stuff?

He does have a solid amount of screentime but he really isn't doing any important stuff in this movie. He thinks he his, but he isn't.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

He does have a solid amount of screentime but he really isn't doing any important stuff in this movie. He thinks he his, but he isn't.

I was just responding to the guy talking about "the only two POC" and completely forgetting that Poe is a POC too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wow you got me, incredible ownage.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it wrong that in the end I want to see R2D2 tear poo poo up as some sort of Force God? Also he’s been through with Qui Gon to Ben Kenobi to Luke and now Rey. The dude opens doors and works miracles to move the characters through the story and events

Required Parachute
Oct 4, 2012
Puffin Object Replacement Graphic

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

2. There was him and luke on the falcon, and then him and luke in the flashback when Kyle burnt down the temple.

He was also apparently in a deleted scene hanging out with the caretakers during a luau.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Wow you got me, incredible ownage.

I accept your apology.

:smugdon:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

He was also helping Rey locate the survivors who were escaping the mine. He was plugged into the Falcon and chirping to her.

In regards to the map, Luke didn't leave it. Han explains about the map in TFA:

Han: This map's not complete. It's just a piece. Ever since Luke disappeared, people have been looking for him. [...] There were a lot of rumors. Stories. People who knew him best, think he went looking for the first Jedi temple.

Lor San Tekka was able to locate a portion of a map pointing to its location. Kylo Ren found the rest "We have the rest, recovered from the archives of the Empire. We need the last piece"

So it's a map to the temple where Luke was thought to be, not expressly to he himself.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's funny that we're in the third cycle of Star Wars trilogies here and the only plot-significant character contribution from a person of color came from fuckin' Lando back in 1983. Trash bin robots have played a more significant role in shaping the course of the galaxy than black people.

ep3's plot coulda been way different without anakin walking in on mace windu trying to assassinate a politician

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

To be honest after the admiral told her grand plan I wanted him to sit there for a full minute quietly, go over it, then say "Yeah I was right" and shoot her again.

It was dumb and terrible and she was dumb and terrible.

Hell I'd been with him if he decided she was a traitor (which I still think would have worked better) and spaced her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be honest after the admiral told her grand plan I wanted him to sit there for a full minute quietly, go over it, then say "Yeah I was right" and shoot her again.

It was dumb and terrible and she was dumb and terrible.

Hell I'd been with him if he decided she was a traitor (which I still think would have worked better) and spaced her

That . . . is why you fail.

• Locked thread