Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

boy aldritch was a bit tricky, i never realised how much i was being carried by phantoms until i didn't summon any

turns out casting replenishment and the smaller replenishment R2 ability thing on a chime tides me over pretty good! now i have lifehunt scythe, hope its rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Buried alive posted:

Hello thread, I am in need of some advice.

For my first largely blind (and limping, tripping, stumbling) way through the game, I went with a quality build so I could have access to various types of weapons and see how they worked.

Then I found the claymore. I want to use other things, but it's just .. it's so good. I can't stop using it as my general purpose, go-to weapon. :negative:

Any recommendations for other weapons?

Quoting myself for relevance. Trip report: I am now using the cathedral greatsword which I swap out with the ceastus for dudes who have high health, but stagger easily enough (LOLthrick knights). Pinning a guy up against a wall and exhausting my stamina to do ~1300 damage with a flurry of punches is very satisfying.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just started NG+ and was excited when I got soul items called like "paladin's soul" or "soul of an intrepid hero" but then they gave me like 500 souls :pwn:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I just started NG+ and was excited when I got soul items called like "paladin's soul" or "soul of an intrepid hero" but then they gave me like 500 souls :pwn:

Yeah it’s weird as hell. Eventually they do start to give you more souls.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
yeah ng+ is garbage basically. dont bother going there unless you really want that ring achievment or want to create some kind of mule that brings +3 rings to low level invaders.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

yeah ng+ is garbage basically. dont bother going there unless you really want that ring achievment or want to create some kind of mule that brings +3 rings to low level invaders.

Yeah there's no new enemies or even a single red phantom : /

It's fun to one shot everything though.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through for the first time. Only other game i've played in the series is bloodborne which i loved. Doing a STR with the exile greatsword, tons of funs.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Iretep posted:

NG+ turns into a poor man's boss rush mode since you can just cast hidden body while wearing the slumbering dragoncrest ring from the get go. You can literally sprint through the entire game without being noticed, stopping only to fight the bosses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can also do that without hidden body and slumbering dragoncrest

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
In fact I'm pretty sure that's how the game was balanced. My least favorite gameplay tweak for sure

Aug 24, 2011

is the black knight halberd still in the game and is it the strongest PvE weapon again like in dark souls 1

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yes and no

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

For one thing you have to actually beat two late-game bosses at low levels if you want access to it early, rather than playing Black K***ht Roulette minutes from Firelink.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Doorknob Slobber posted:

ds2 is tons of fun im pretty sure only crazy nerds gave a poo poo or even noticed some of the things that make people not like ds2 like 'the elevator goes through lava to get to the top of the mountain' or whatever people complained about.

i think a lot of the dislike for it was exaggerated but there are definitely things to dislike. the slower combat irritated me. the tank controls can be somewhat mitigated on pc by a mod which lowers the deadzone at least.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Neurosis posted:

i think a lot of the dislike for it was exaggerated but there are definitely things to dislike. the slower combat irritated me. the tank controls can be somewhat mitigated on pc by a mod which lowers the deadzone at least.

Ds2 doesn't have tank controls

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

For one thing you have to actually beat two late-game bosses at low levels if you want access to it early, rather than playing Black K***ht Roulette minutes from Firelink.

or you can just ask some goon to drop it for you through co-op sinnce its not a weapon a lot of builds use anyway.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

So I take it the Pontiffs Left Eye ring is a noob trap that I walked my dumb rear end into

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

cis autodrag posted:

Ds2 doesn't have tank controls

they're much less sensitive than ds1 and especially 3, and you're quite a lot slower, so relative to those games i think it does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neurosis posted:

they're much less sensitive than ds1 and especially 3, and you're quite a lot slower, so relative to those games i think it does.

that's not what those words mean

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Neurosis posted:

Please tell me what you think tank controls means.

Tank controls are what silent hill and resident evil had back in the day. no souls game has tank controls.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
They mean jank controls

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Neurosis posted:

You move faster in Dark Souls 2 than in DS1 and attack at about the same speed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You have to put points into a certain stat in order to have a not lovely dodge roll

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You have to put points into a certain stat in order to have a not lovely dodge roll

Probably the worst thing about DS2.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Probably the worst thing about DS2.

That and soul memory were the two actively bad decisions.

Soul memory would have been fine if it was total souls spent and not total souls earned, or if it decremented it by souls you lost when dying imo.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 29, 2017

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

man they cant resist just putting a poison swamp in can they

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Ds2 is a better co-op pve experience. Ds3 gets so frustrating to play with a friend and whoop rear end against monsters only to be invaded time and time again by min-max rear end in a top hat nerds who always seem to have lag in their favor and somehow take a million hits to kill while not even wearing armor.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

man they cant resist just putting a poison swamp in can they

True fact if your game doesn't include a poison swamp or a sewer level the ESRB issues you a massive fine

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Look, there was no way Dark Souls 2 was going to be as well received as Dark Souls 1, the hype it had to live up to was immense, and it remains a problem for it. Fact is, it does much of what Dark Souls 1 did in a worse way. Held up to that lofty standard, it falls short. Had it been released as another IP by some other company, just a generic dark fantasy game, it probably would have been given decent marks and lauded for novel, if poorly executed ideas.

But for me, there's no way to divorce Dark Souls 2 from the other games in the series, and that absolutely contributes to my dislike for the game. I've beaten it multiple times, and unlike most every other Souls game, especially the first Dark, I like it less each time I do so. There's just so many small frustrations stretched out across and ultimately rudderless and meandering experience that I just can't well up a lot of enthusiasm to play out a completely pointless adventure. Hell, even Dark Souls 3 lets you kind of play at being a hero at the end of the world. Dark Souls 2 just reminds you that everything you are doing is entirely pointless, raising the question as to why you should even be bothering.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

True fact if your game doesn't include a poison swamp or a sewer level the ESRB issues you a massive fine

they should've just paid the fine tbh

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
On the other hand, the weaker storytelling led to slightly more varied locales with all sorts of random fantasy poo poo. It's generic sure, but it's big and expansive. It's fun, especially in PVP, though the campaign does drag on a few levels longer than it should imo.

After the tightly-directed Dark Souls 1, a more "open" entry was an unexpected treat. After I got over the disappointing bosses of course (there are still some decent ones though, like Ruin Sentinels who are my pals)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Ds2 is a better co-op pve experience. Ds3 gets so frustrating to play with a friend and whoop rear end against monsters only to be invaded time and time again by min-max rear end in a top hat nerds who always seem to have lag in their favor and somehow take a million hits to kill while not even wearing armor.
they might be more minmaxed but you have 2 people(and the host has double the estus of the phantoms and +30% hp). it doesn't matter if they've managed to get a build that does +12% damage with 5 more vigor than you or whatever when you can have two people pressing r1 next to each other, easily making staggered overlapping attacks that the invader just can't move towards because if they roll through the first person's r1s they'll get rollcaught by the second person's r1s

there's not really such a thing as "lag in their favor" anyhow, both sides experience the same degree of delay on hitreg and enemy movement. if there's any favor it's again towards the person who has another person with them because having two people to attack at once means you can make big sloppy mistakes and not get punished for it

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 29, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I don't understand comparing Dark Souls 2's bosses unfavorably to 1's when the Bed of Chaos was in 1.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, that's just one boss, and if we're not counting dlc I think in most people's minds ds1 has more standout bosses(albeit with some really poo poo ones) while ds2 doesn't have as poo poo of ones, but also doesn't have the same highs.

but if you count dlcs I go back in the other direction because there's ~6 good to great bosses added in ds2's dlcs, which is imo more than in the entirety of ds1

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

most invaders in DS3 are terrible though

like I can beat most people who invade me, solo, and I suck. the game gives you every possible advantage.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Look, there was no way Dark Souls 2 was going to be as well received as Dark Souls 1, the hype it had to live up to was immense, and it remains a problem for it. Fact is, it does much of what Dark Souls 1 did in a worse way. Held up to that lofty standard, it falls short. Had it been released as another IP by some other company, just a generic dark fantasy game, it probably would have been given decent marks and lauded for novel, if poorly executed ideas.

But for me, there's no way to divorce Dark Souls 2 from the other games in the series, and that absolutely contributes to my dislike for the game. I've beaten it multiple times, and unlike most every other Souls game, especially the first Dark, I like it less each time I do so. There's just so many small frustrations stretched out across and ultimately rudderless and meandering experience that I just can't well up a lot of enthusiasm to play out a completely pointless adventure. Hell, even Dark Souls 3 lets you kind of play at being a hero at the end of the world. Dark Souls 2 just reminds you that everything you are doing is entirely pointless, raising the question as to why you should even be bothering.

Maybe don't beat a game you don't like very much multiple times

Aug 24, 2011

holy gently caress the dancer is hard

i summoned two phantoms and they both waited until i went in then black crystalled out, which was pretty funny

i eventually won by sticking to her empty weapon hand, even after she equipped her second sword, but wow this boss is extremely rough. i do not appreciate being teleported to her a) immediately following a boss fight, and b) while i am trying to talk to siegward for his quest. siegward also died offscreen after i got teleported. thanks, game.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Bring more pals or slot way of the blue, invaders are always at a disadvantage in this game. Although the huge Nerf to giant seed means you actually have to deal with them yourself now.

I roll in a group of 4 and I feel bad for the invaders.

Also fighting invaders and getting used to it makes npc battles a cakewalk and in bloodborne those were the hardest fights

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ds2 is an incredible game it just happens to be the weakest entry in a series of incredible games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

cis autodrag posted:

Please tell me what you think tank controls means.

Tank controls are what silent hill and resident evil had back in the day. no souls game has tank controls.

in this context i was referring to the need to commit harder to turning due to the deadzone, coupled with what feels to me like a slower attack speed and a definitely slower roll (at light weights at least). together, these things make turning and dodging more sluggish and the controls feel less responsive than in the other soulsborne games. i said the controls felt tanky 'relative to those games' but for some reason people think i mean ds2 controls like ryo in shenmue or at least are surprisingly pissy about idiosyncratic word use