Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'll grant it has one of my favorite jokes though;

"wow, does that attack do a lot of damage?"
"well, a lot of damage is done."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

8 bit theater would be good if things kept happening in it, but as it wastes most of its time on endless talking it's actually pretty bad.

See I always thought that was the good thing about it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The only good thing to come out of 8-Bit Theatre was Brian Clevinger.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
8BT had some fun ideas and nice payoffs but man was it a hell of a slog to get there, between some really cringeworthy jokes and the eye-searing "art."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I did some rereading of 8-bit theater over the holiday, and the early bits certainly don't hold up very well. It is kinda funny to me to see the weird foreshadowing monologues that ultimately don't really get any pay off. I had a buddy who was angry when the comic ended at the lack of resolution to some of those.

At its best, 8-Bit Theater still was mostly dialogue, just a bunch of dudes talking with the occasional explosion. You can really see where Brian Clevinger got enough practice to become a really good writer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'll never forget the one-off joke that the whole comic was a stock photo dreaming she was Fighter, and she woke up.

And the forum response was mostly just "aw I'm sad the comic is over but this is a good ending".

Edit: Anyone else have fond but cringy memories of people trying to do dub videos of the comic and never getting more than like 30 pages in?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

PMush Perfect posted:

I'll never forget the one-off joke that the whole comic was a stock photo dreaming she was Fighter, and she woke up.

And the forum response was mostly just "aw I'm sad the comic is over but this is a good ending".

Edit: Anyone else have fond but cringy memories of people trying to do dub videos of the comic and never getting more than like 30 pages in?

They always tried giving Black Mage an echo-y reverberating voice and it never worked

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did some rereading of 8-bit theater over the holiday, and the early bits certainly don't hold up very well. It is kinda funny to me to see the weird foreshadowing monologues that ultimately don't really get any pay off. I had a buddy who was angry when the comic ended at the lack of resolution to some of those.

At its best, 8-Bit Theater still was mostly dialogue, just a bunch of dudes talking with the occasional explosion. You can really see where Brian Clevinger got enough practice to become a really good writer.

The entire point of the comic was anticlimaxes and set ups that were set up hundreds of strips before the payoff intentionally being an anticlimax
Hell the climax of the comic was set up in the first 10 strips and the main non-WoL antagonist was a gag character that also appeared in the first few strips

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I shudder to imagine who would fit this criteria.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Huh, Zebra Girl is entertaining its Epilogue in February.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Badnix http://www.badnix.com/ -- bidya games, also very cute

SlothfulCobra posted:

I caught up on Badnix after falling away for a while, and I forgot how good this comic is. Adventure with practical explorations of the concepts involved with living in a videogame world? And everything is backed up by clever jokes and puns? This is extremely my jam.
Just want to second this recommendation in a completely unsuspicious non-promotional manner
(no but seriously thanks, glad you're digging it)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Claire could probably wrap a bundle of sticks in a dress and convince Desmond it's his idea to date it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I...do not think this will end well.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Lol, that garbage is what Jeph gives his patreon subscribers? How the hell does he make so much drat money?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

plainswalker75 posted:

Lol, that garbage is what Jeph gives his patreon subscribers? How the hell does he make so much drat money?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

plainswalker75 posted:

You seem to have misspelled John there. And no, he inflicts Desmond Fishman on us all equally.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

Huh, Zebra Girl is entertaining its Epilogue in February.

Awwwwwww. That was one of my first webcomics.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

plainswalker75 posted:

On the internet, just like everywhere else, the worst people have all the money.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Guys, if you want comics to be a successful industry, things making money while being just okay has to be a thing that happens.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

Guys, if you want comics to be a successful industry, things making money while being just okay has to be a thing that happens.

I think they're lamenting that mediocre things make good money, while good things make mediocre money.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

wiegieman posted:

On the internet, just like everywhere else, the worst people have all the money.

That's being overly harsh. Jeph is hardly the worst- not by a long shot.

At worst, he is like, the Denny's of webcomics. And I mean that as no insult. For most it's perfectly serviceable but never exactly push the format forward.

Also Mods please change my name to The Denny's of Webcomics.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Questionable Content isn't good for webcomics. People make it out to be this easily accessible, mellow read when it's actually terrible as an introduction to the format. It's nearly 4000 pages long and counting, the art is abysmal, the archive exists only in name (just a scrolling numerical list of pages), the website is ugly and partially broken on mobile. The writing is never better than mediocre. The comic isn't part of a 'hive' so it doesn't drive traffic to other comics. It sucks up enormous amounts of money and reader time. It doesn't expand the industry, it crowds it out.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 29, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, it got me into reading webcomics.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

truly, there is no more zero-sum game than the webcomics game

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, it got me into reading webcomics.

How long ago?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...wow, has it really been thirteen years?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Penny Arcade got me into webcomics.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

That's being overly harsh. Jeph is hardly the worst- not by a long shot.

At worst, he is like, the Denny's of webcomics. And I mean that as no insult. For most it's perfectly serviceable but never exactly push the format forward.

Also Mods please change my name to The Denny's of Webcomics.

I'm sorry, I should have been clear instead of trying to be pithy. Jeph is fine, but it's the people donating money for this stuff who are the worst people.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Questionable Content isn't good for webcomics. People make it out to be this easily accessible, mellow read when it's actually terrible as an introduction to the format. It's nearly 4000 pages long and counting, the art is abysmal, the archive exists only in name (just a scrolling numerical list of pages), the website is ugly and partially broken on mobile. The writing is never better than mediocre. The comic isn't part of a 'hive' so it doesn't drive traffic to other comics. It sucks up enormous amounts of money and reader time. It doesn't expand the industry, it crowds it out.

You need to calm down- a lot of people including myself have read it at one point or another, and it was a fairly good intro the the slice of life sorta stuff that I was into at the time...fourteen years ago. It's ancient as far as the industry is concerned, and I don't see it going anywhere or aspiring to more than "milquetoast." I can't really fault Jeph for falling into a groove of making content for people willing the give him cash for it.

I think webcomics are doing just fine with old fairly boring comics like that on the playing field. If it wasn't QC it would be some other inoffensive long run comic- it's how things work in pretty much any media. They make not promote creativity in the medium, but you might as well complain that trees crowd out saplings.

Emrikol posted:

I think they're lamenting that mediocre things make good money, while good things make mediocre money.

So like...human nature, then?

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 29, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Megaman Sprite Comics got me into Webcomics
Life of Wiley it was called

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

In Wily's Defense was a drat good sprite comic to high school me and I'm sad it no longer exists on the internet

In retrospect it was just another "what if mega man was evil and Wily was the good guy????" comic but at the time it blew my mind

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Emrikol posted:

When has it ever been otherwise?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Penny Arcade got me into webcomics.

Mine was 8-bit Theather and even then it was through a Newgrounds animation. I remember wondering why anyone would want to read something instead of watching the much better flash :doh:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Personally, Penny Arcade is just fine. I get a chuckle and move on with my day, or I don't and move on with my day.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Argon Zark was what got me into web comics

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I got into webcomics when my older brother showed me XKCD back when I was in middle school

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Typical Pubbie posted:

The comic isn't part of a 'hive' so it doesn't drive traffic to other comics. It sucks up enormous amounts of money and reader time. It doesn't expand the industry, it crowds it out.

Literally the only reason it is in my trawl is because it has links to a bunch of other webcomics I like and read. He is part of the same cross promotional ring as XKCD, Sam and Fuzzy, Dinosaur Comics, McNinja, Hark A Vagrant and JSPH. He still drives plenty of traffic to those places.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

wiegieman posted:

Personally, Penny Arcade is just fine. I get a chuckle and move on with my day, or I don't and move on with my day.

Penny Arcade also hosts Camp Weedonwantcha which is very good.o

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

wiegieman posted:

this is my level of engagement with most media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Literally the only reason it is in my trawl is because it has links to a bunch of other webcomics I like and read. He is part of the same cross promotional ring as XKCD, Sam and Fuzzy, Dinosaur Comics, McNinja, Hark A Vagrant and JSPH. He still drives plenty of traffic to those places.

Huh, you're right. I never noticed because his website is so crap. Also my brain automatically blocks any content labeled "David Willis eats diapers"