Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The giant snoke head in tfa and subsequent insanely terrible looking snoke cg body in tlj was so dumb i kept waiting for the big wizard of oz style reveal but instead of was actually just a pointless monster creature cartoon man. simply incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

homullus posted:

That . . . is why you fail.

Why? Her plan was the poo poo on a homeless man's rear end.

"So. I'm going to sit here, and let ship after ship blow up in our fleet rather than have them suicide attack or anything. Each one of these manned ships needs to have someone piloting it... because an unpiloted ship running out of gas, that'd be just silly!

Next, after I let the Imperials blow up all of our entire fleet, I'll ground our entire remaining fleet of FTL capable ships, even though small ships seem to be able to come and go all day with nobody chasing them.

Then, I'll stick EVERY member of the resistance on tiny little shuttles and hope they're 'cloaked' despite that never being a thing that's ever existed or worked in Star Wars.

And when it doesn't work, I will wait until all but like 10 people are blown the gently caress up to actually do anything about it."

General Patton of space, that one

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They sparked a rebellion movement that has already reached at least one force user. What they did on Canto Bight is actually the most important thing anyone did in the movie.

I’m not sure one kid doing housework and playing with his Official Star Wars Resistance Decider Ring qualifies as a rebellion. And he ain’t playing with Finn and Rose dolls at the end.

Also, we’re never seeing that kid again in the movies.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Turdfuzz posted:

also maybe theyre afraid of doing some "damsel in distress" type thing but luke got his rear end saved by his friends on more than one occasion but rey just seems like she dont need saving
finn sets out to help her in both movies n both times it ends up being pointless iirc

Kylo literally saves Rey from Snoke though

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
People online have put way more thought into this nonsensical merchandising patchwork shitheap than the writing room has 1000 times over

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

People online have put way more thought into this nonsensical merchandising patchwork shitheap than the writing room has 1000 times over

It's a Star Wars tradition, why change it now?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

Doubly so to the people defending it.

I can't believe anyone thinks Admiral Pink Hair wasn't the most incompetent leader I've ever seen in sci-fi

I doubly don't get why the movie spent the entire time teaching Po that he needs to learn to blindly follow authority when said authority is just making GBS threads on everything. If he'd mutinied earlier into the movie they might still have a fleet.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I didn't the see the ending because I was crying too much

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the laura dern suicide ship was hosed up for its own reasons too. there were a lot of cool angles it could have gone.

1) turn sideways and beef out the star destroyer turbocannon volleys like when pegasus died to save galactica on bsg. it would have been epic

2) picard maneuver into it and blow up or something

3) jump and rematerialize inside the star destroyer like a bugged out video game noclip and then they both blow up. would have looked sick.

i dont even know why it makes like a cut star wars ftl drives work by pulling space towards it, not by propelling the ship forward.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

“I see hate in your eyes, 41. It is good. Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength.”

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 28, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One more thing in defense of Po, the whole thing that started his arc is wrong.

Leia is the one that hosed up and lost all their bombers. Literally nobody else but Leia. She could have said "Po if you don't come back right now we're leaving you. You know where we're going, you have a jump drive." But she didn't. She is the one that launched all the bombers and lost all their ships. If she'd just let him bail on his own and rejected his plan, that wouldn't have happened.

Also Po called it a fleet killer. If it survived would it have just wiped out the fleet from the "too far away to catch them" range? It seemed like she ultimately decided to go with the plan because it was worth it, and the crew seemed to think trading the bombers for the Dreadnaught was a moment to cheer and celebrate. Like... all Po did was make the attack possible and opening a window. That's literally ALL he did. Command is to blame for everything else.

All in all the movie just wanted to keep trying to make Po look bad while making him look like the only one with any loving common sense.

ED: He should have been demoted for risking his X-Wing and that's about it. Demoting him for the death of the bombers which is not something he had any authority to do is loving dumb as gently caress. Also what happened to the Y-Wing? It was bomber that didn't need to go like 5% top speed of a fighter.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 28, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
what even were the bombers. some kind of obese deformed b-wing monstrosity. no y-wing, the best star war plane. voting 1.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Please no more Star Wars

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

what even were the bombers. some kind of obese deformed b-wing monstrosity. no y-wing, the best star war plane. voting 1.

My point was less picking on specific classic designs and more "Why did bombers go from slightly slower than a fighter to giant B52s that CLEARLY move too slowly to reach a target?"

They came off as impractical stupid suicide ships which is exactly what they ended up being.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the final scene with the doe-eyed jedi child looking up to the stars with hope.. wow.. so moving. imagine having the audacity to bolt that scene onto an already concluded movie just because. ah, lets add some more endings, sure - why not? the ;last 20 mins of this movie is basically the por que no los dos of movie endings

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

the final scene with the doe-eyed jedi child looking up to the stars with hope.. wow.. so moving. imagine having the audacity to bolt that scene onto an already concluded movie just because. ah, lets add some more endings, sure - why not? the ;last 20 mins of this movie is basically the por que no los dos of movie endings

You want to know what's worse? That scene is setting up another trilogy of movies by the director of this movie, supposedly. Seriously.

Smythe posted:

I still absolutely believe that, whatever you think worked better not mattering, if they had ended the movie on Luke raising his X-Wing and coming out of exile instead of dying for using too much mana which the thread apparently thinks both is what happened and "is totally sensible" people would at least be way more interested and hopeful to see where the next movie goes, and how the story might conclude with the final showdown between Luke and Kylo and all that.

I don't care if some of you think that was logical or great, it was a lovely decision for the movie from a sheer "audience excitement" level. My screening of the movie sounded like a loving funeral walking out of it. That's not good.

ED: Seriously I hope people are wrong and he didn't die just from over taxing himself. It's so loving dumb. Maybe when Lord of the Rings is rebooted, Gandalf can go "YOU.. SHALT NOT.. *cough has heart attack dies*"

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 28, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Blazing Ownager posted:

My point was less picking on specific classic designs and more "Why did bombers go from slightly slower than a fighter to giant B52s that CLEARLY move too slowly to reach a target?"

They came off as impractical stupid suicide ships which is exactly what they ended up being.

yes i agree im adding a complaint that they used the wrong space plane. they had a chance to use my favorite space plane and guess what they didnt. this movie has no heart.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

You want to know what's worse? That scene is setting up another trilogy of movies by the director of this movie, supposedly. Seriously.

Where are you getting that from? Is there some reporting somewhere that suggests this?

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
make star love not star war

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

no it's not

if you're gonna continue this weird meltdown over an okay-ish star wars at least avoid making things up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kevin Palpatine posted:

make star love not star war

questionable intentions from a man named Kevin Palpatine...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Where are you getting that from? Is there some reporting somewhere that suggests this?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/last-jedi-director-rian-johnson-on-his-new-trilogy-and-1820977776

It's all over the news and the last scene was widely reported as setup for this.

Brother Entropy posted:

no it's not

if you're gonna continue this weird meltdown over an okay-ish star wars at least avoid making things up

Read the news and weep

ED: Also pointing out the movie is dumber and dumber the more you think about it and not in a good way is not a weird meltdown. Every single time I put any thought to it, the film gets way worse and I actually thought it was alright. But it's a really, really stupid and shoddily made alright.

quote:

“I was the one who said, ‘The thing that’s interesting to me would be a new trilogy, one story told over three movies, on that big canvas of the Star Wars world. But—go someplace new, meet some new folks, tell a new story,’ and they really responded to that,” Johnson said. Disney made the news official on November 9, 2017, announcing that Johnson would write and direct the first film in a new Star Wars trilogy, and help develop the other two.

They used the last scene in the movie to Thor in the Pool it

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 28, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the article you linked says they don't even know when his new trilogy will be set and doesn't bring up that ending scene ast all

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

the article you linked says they don't even know when his new trilogy will be set and doesn't bring up that ending scene ast all

So tell me, knowing how Disney handles marketing and such, what was the point of that scene?

Is the next movie going to jump forward like 15 years so he can a new main character at this point? Sure don't think so. Is he likely going to figure into the final movie at all? Also no.

A new trilogy, about new Jedi, taking place after this one? Yeahhhhh.

It's not hard to see how it fits together if you've even remained half awake with how Disney handles marketing in their Marvel movies and other IPs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That article is from April before we'd even seen a trailer for TLJ. It doesn't say anything about anything that's actually in the movie.

Edit: Haha, my mistake, that's an American website so the day and month are the wrong way round in the date.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

So tell me, knowing how Disney handles marketing and such, what was the point of that scene?

Is the next movie going to jump forward like 15 years so he can a new main character at this point? Sure don't think so. Is he likely going to figure into the final movie at all? Also no.

It's not hard to see how it fits together if you've even remained half awake with how Disney handles marketing in their Marvel movies and other IPs.

you're getting mad about disney fanfic you made up in your brain and have decided is real

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Brother Entropy posted:

you're getting mad about disney fanfic you made up in your brain and have decided is real

I find this happens a lot with franchises. Someone gets so infatuated and invested they craft entire plot in their heads about it and just don’t exist in reality.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

That article is from April before we'd even seen a trailer for TLJ. It doesn't say anything about anything that's actually in the movie.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/18/16786428/star-wars-last-jedi-interview-rian-johnson-ram-bergman

New enough for you?

quote:

On the day of The Last Jedi’s release, Johnson and Bergman talked to Vox about their partnership, the way they approached The Last Jedi, and their plans for the new trilogy — and how making a Star Wars movie is both like and totally unlike playing with Star Wars toys as a kid.

Brother Entropy posted:

Are you one of those people who can't tell when there's trailers for the next Marvel movies stuffed into a Marvel movie?

You'd have to be brain damaged to not see why a stupid out of place scene like that would be put in there. They gave the kid a ring and made a good point about it. It was the "touchstone" moment between series. They obviously aren't coming back to the kid until he's older.

What the gently caress do you think that was about, if not for setting up future spin-off crap? Are you seriously that naive about Disney marketing?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
he may be insane but he is also probably right in some circuitous way, even if it doesnt involved the Doe Eyed Hopeful Child

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

I find this happens a lot with franchises. Someone gets so infatuated and invested they craft entire plot in their heads about it and just don’t exist in reality.

Except I'm not. I'm fine with letting them make their own movie if it's not riddled with plot holes, subplots that go nowhere, characters that go nowhere, and a lot of things going nowhere with bad character motivation.

That's why Last Jedi isn't trash but it's just a good looking dumb as gently caress film at best.

Smythe posted:

he may be insane but he is also probably right in some circuitous way, even if it doesnt involved the Doe Eyed Hopeful Child

CineD where pointing out massive gaping plot holes in a badly received movie = insanity

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/18/16786428/star-wars-last-jedi-interview-rian-johnson-ram-bergman

New enough for you?

Are you one of those people who can't tell when there's trailers for the next Marvel movies stuffed into a Marvel movie?

You'd have to be brain damaged to not see why a stupid out of place scene like that would be put in there. They gave the kid a ring and made a good point about it. It was the "touchstone" moment between series. They obviously aren't coming back to the kid until he's older.

What the gently caress do you think that was about, if not for setting up future spin-off crap? Are you seriously that naive about Disney marketing?

I dislike the movie too but FFS please get mad about the parts that were actually in it and not hypothetical extrapolations X years in the future based on a scene with multiple interpretations

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

The most likely answer is that it's just a little scene to emphasize the themes that had been put forward throughout the film. As in, the kid is an example of how the future is bright and that the Jedi will live on through Luke's actions and Rey's abilities. There's really nothing indicating it will be anything more than that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Last Jedi isn't trash

im going to have to disagree here. The Last Jedi is absolutely trash.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Marvel series marketing is like that. It doesn’t necessarily apply to everything Disney does.

That at the end is meant to thematically explain the point of the movie and the resistance. Their influence will grow not by directly killing the Empire but by freeing and helping the downtrodden

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheKingofSprings posted:

I dislike the movie too but FFS please get mad about the parts that were actually in it and not hypothetical extrapolations X years in the future based on a scene with multiple interpretations

Fine you guys can choose not to believe that kid is in the next trilogy if you want

Hell, I'll loving :toxx: myself on this one if you guys want to do the same. We'll see who gets banned in like 4 years.

Gatts posted:

Marvel series marketing is like that. It doesn’t necessarily apply to everything Disney does.

That at the end is meant to thematically explain the point of the movie and the resistance. Their influence will grow not by directly killing the Empire but by freeing and helping the downtrodden

Ohhhh yes it does. They do it to everything now. Every single Disney product is an inception-like design to advertise other Disney products.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

im going to have to disagree here. The Last Jedi is absolutely trash.

Nope :colbert:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that kid is never coming back except in maybe a garbage eu book for people who need everyone on screen to be important

so people like blazing owner

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

that kid is never coming back except in maybe a garbage eu book for people who need everyone on screen to be important

so people like blazing owner

This whole garbage detour was setting up the new trilogy.

Actually you might be right and I may be making a huge mistake because they're never gonna let this guy keep his trilogy after the public reaction to this clusterfuck

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That kid will be retconned into being Peter Parker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If everyone on screen is important then everyone in the Canto Bight scenes are important and not just a part of the movie where everyone looked like they had the most fun making but that nearly everyone who watched it hated because of reasons.

• Locked thread