Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

What is the name of that real money MMO?

It used to be called Project Entropia but was renamed to Entropia Universe.

EDIT tax

Cat
Thing

Republicanus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I want Tophat to stop teasing us and release his Star Citizen fanfic.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

:siren: Attention! :siren: Public Service Announcement!

Charlie Hall, Swofford crony and perpertrator of the doxxing of streetroller for Polygon, is emailing all contributors to https://starcitizentracker.github.io trying to get them to give up a contact to the main guys. Do not reply and do not give him a platform for his "balance"!

:siren: Attention! :siren:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/946410858598592518

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh good, link more twitter posts to other posts and posts we already post about.

:justpost:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Montoya seemed ok when I was in TEST (before I fell from Christ Roberts's grace) but yeah I'm pretty sure he's an old EVE dude, despite statements to the contrary.

Also :laffo: at Charlie digging for dirt.

I went back to the video. The comments are fantastic.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/946401879801638913

----------------

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I want Tophat to stop teasing us and release his Star Citizen fanfic.

I've been meaning to write smut for cash for some time now

Perhaps this is my dick in the door

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Republicanus posted:

It used to be called Project Entropia but was renamed to Entropia Universe.

EDIT tax

Cat
Thing

Yeah that's it, I can only hope star citizen gets that retarded.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

So my wife has caught up with the thread. She was only peripherally aware of this whole debacle through me, but for some reason she had time on her hands while I was at work, and she dove into the terrible secret of space.

She made two points.

Point 1: This has nothing to do with a space game. In her words: "I watched Chris Roberts, and he's a dork. He's a dork's dork. He looks weird, he sounds weird, he's overweight, clumsy, and socially awkward. But he made a game, made millions, got the "girl" (such as it is), has tons of adoring fans, and now he's taking on the establishment. Everything he's doing is the wet dream of every geek in the world who's considered themselves a hopeless underdog - if he can do it, so can they! And for that reason, they have to believe he can do this. Because if it turns out Chris Roberts lied - if he is a fraud - then that means he's not one of them. And that means there's no hope for them: to make the money, get the girl, and get acceptance. They'll stay in the bottom of the social bucket for the rest of their lives. So they believe."

Point 2: Derek Smart is the hardest thing about this whole thing to believe. She was ready to believe that an autistic guy who got lucky decades ago and bought his own press came back to delude himself and others to the tune of $175 million. Easy to swallow. That thousands of fans are ready to doxx and kill anyone who disagrees with the commitment of that fraud - no problem - easy to believe. What she can't believe is that one man, who has nothing to do with this, decides "I'M GOING TO BURN THIS ALL DOWN" because of a very minor slight from the con artist, and has tirelessly committed literal years of his life with no rest to doing exactly that, like a down-syndrome terminator.

Other than that, like most women, she sees through the scam rather easily. Now when I'm at work I get my updates from her.

Poor Chris. :females: are immune to his scam. The irony is annihilating.

:downsbravo:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"Did you hear that?" Derek asks, "I was right!"

A few moments as the warlord awaits a reply from the caverns.

"Did you hear that," a voice calls, and the warlord broadly smiles as he hears, "I was right!"

Thus we have the most open blog development seen in it's rawest form, endless, self sustaining, self serving, self parodying, self defeating, for all time. The only way we will get him free from those caverns is to lure him out with a visage of a clown which will interrupt the cycle...briefly.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

I've been meaning to write smut for cash for some time now

Perhaps this is my dick in the door

i hear if you back Love Pledge at a high enough tier, you can

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Derek not only produces great swathes of hot air, but redirects all warm air that is profused around him straight up his own arse with great quoting bellows.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Alchenar posted:

Derek Smart does actually have a day job where he makes video games.

Still more playable than Star Citizen:

The video ends in the best way

I remember that video when it first appeared. I laughed - and moved on.

These guys really think I write 100 page manuals because I have nothing better to do. If you don't read my game manuals, you have NO business playing ANY of my games. They're not developed for mass market consumption.

I have actually been updating that game recently because people keep buying it.

I made this epic space battle movie from the latest build that I released on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu7VA6oUM2g

----------------

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

This is a sarcastic emote you invariable dullard of language and meaning, you bungler of compliments, you rambunctious self fellating egomaniac who only pauses for thought when thoughts turn to him!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The way Derek writes manuals and codes his keyboard layouts makes me wonder if he is astonished by technology on a daily, if not more frequent, basis.

"A REMOTE STARTER FOR YOUR CAR?! This will make everything so much simpler!" He said as he used a five-key combination to save and exit from his video game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

Scruffpuff: what's so hard to believe about Derek? Derek loves to troll and he's trolled Roberts right into creating this dichotomy, that's partly why Roberts' scam is working. Derek knows this and enjoys the irony of it. The entire industry knows what Roberts is like, he was either going to fluke his vision or fall to his own hubris. Everyone knows what Derek is like, he doesn't back down and frankly this is the best semi-retirement present he could ever get.

:allears:

----------------

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Republicanus posted:

Good afternoon to all the SC fans who impotently read this thread and furiously post about Derek Smart and Goons "ruining everything'.

I want you all to know who you are railing against, at least in part. You should know that Goons are not monolithic in any real sense of the word. We've numbered over 190,000, of which there might be a couple score of thousands that post regularly.

Most of us are here because we like to laugh or have friends who are funnier than us with whom we like to hang around.

Let me tell you about who I am. I am a guy whose businesses in Star Wars Galaxies brought in tens of millions of credits a week. I supplied bounty hunters with exploding droids optimized to knock out jedi because it was hilarious.

(We had to unfortunately have a rule put in that restricted using landmines in our city because it was affecting the bottom line. It nearly did not get put in because of how funny it was to watch people randomly get exploded by residential landmines. )

We were very successful at humor. We made bank because we found things funny as gently caress to do with people.

With that as a preface, let me tell you God's honest truth. You guys are not only hilariously fanatical about Star Citizen, you are also loathsome. On top of that, you are as a population, about the least self-aware I've encountered outside of people still attending Eckankar seminars. Plus - you'll probably get a bunch of OLD Goons to start planning poo poo to do to you.

You are a wonderful bunch of targets. This is not going to change. This is something you should realize and see how it undergirds nearly all of the posting in this and the preceding threads - you guys are worthy of our attention because you are remarkably and stunningly stupid. You guys deserve to be griefed.

We want to laugh so hard at the crushing of your dreams - either through the failure of CIG/RSI's ability to stay open, or the failure of CIG/RSI's "product" if somehow a crippled version lands in your snot-encrusted fingers.

I want them to optimize the gently caress out of the models and reduce the poly count by two orders of magnitude so that CIG/RSI will shove a shitpile out the door that can handle thirty or more players - because I want to buy in and make a business to grief every one of you until you quit in a snot-bubble-blowing rage.
I want the game to come out with enough mechanics to allow me to make a business empire to create the machine to kick your rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZWXPaiM0s&t=53s

I need a good laugh.

PS> We do ruin everything - for laughs.

I hope this helps. I also hope this gives you an aneurysm.

Weird suicide note, Bro.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

I remember that video when it first appeared. I laughed - and moved on.

These guys really think I write 100 page manuals because I have nothing better to do. If you don't read my game manuals, you have NO business playing ANY of my games. They're not developed for mass market consumption.

I have actually been updating that game recently because people keep buying it.

I made this epic space battle movie from the latest build that I released on Steam.

Oh no, this game? Isn't for you. It's commissioned for the finest palettes, palettes that are refined from years of picking up a manual and reading the epilepsy warning in every language. What's the matter scrub, need a tutorial? I thought you could read.

Most people play games to have fun, so you are indeed correct, most folks have no business playing your games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

D_Smart posted:

I watched the first 30 seconds. Does the entire 13 minute video consist of the computer voice saying 'WARNING' over and over again because if so that's a pretty Freudian advert for your game.

e: this was a low hanging fruit joke, I totally get that your game is for you and your customers are your customers and if there's a market for it then good for everyone involved.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 28, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Derek may have found himself in valhalla with all this, but I just want cockblock him from nailing a Valkyrie

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I can smell an effortpost a mile away

Fortunately I bought a bigger boat

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Lack of Gravitas posted:

i hear if you back Love Pledge at a high enough tier, you can

So you're telling me I can get the job if I buy stock and produce product? And I can jerk off over it?

Are...are you sure you're not thinking of CIG?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

iospace posted:

First part: "Well, BG and Eve have done that, so we can't do that!"

Second part: there's an invisible wall there that holds space in :downs:

Don't worry there'll be a scene where the forcefield will go down and innocent men and women will be consigned to a terrible doom in the vacuum of space rendering the purpose of a giant open space in a warship protected by an energy field that collapses during combat even more confounding.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Don't worry there'll be a scene where the forcefield will go down and innocent men and women will be consigned to a terrible doom in the vacuum of space rendering the purpose of a giant open space in a warship protected by an energy field that collapses during combat even more confounding.

Yes but Star Wars.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Dusty Lens posted:

If you can think of a way to make this scene even more painful for them then I will pledge back in double.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes but Star Wars.

Pretty much this. I'm willing to accept that any FTL civilization is also able to make "airlocks" like you see in Star Wars.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sillybones posted:

If you can think of a way to make this scene even more painful for them then I will pledge back in double.

Passing through the collapsed forcefield electrocutes the deserters with the worst kind of electricity as the moment is both intensified and special drugs in their space shoes extend the moment to eight infinities plus also

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Chris Roberts having to explain to a shitizen what the outcome of the Crytek lawsuit means

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Tophat posted:

I have a powerful bloodthirst that only guillotines or space court can quench

Death is no victory. I'm with Gul Dukat on this one: "A true victory is to make your enemy see they were wrong to oppose you in the first place. To force them to acknowledge your greatness." I want each and every person still involved with this game, whether working on it or paying for it, to have to publicly say "Derek Smart was right."

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Death is no victory. I'm with Gul Dukat on this one: "A true victory is to make your enemy see they were wrong to oppose you in the first place. To force them to acknowledge your greatness." I want each and every person still involved with this game, whether working on it or paying for it, to have to publicly say "Derek Smart was right."

Well, I'm with the Grand Nagus when I say, "You can't free a fish from water."

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Sunswipe posted:

Star Citizen: Death is no victory

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Risc1911 posted:

Something weird is going on with the 3.0 release.

Let's first look at some of these phenomena and then i will give you my conclusion. Going from simple to complex.

1. Falling through floors and walls while in a spaceship that is moving.
2. Not seeing items others are carrying or wearing.
3. Not seeing quantum drive while "crew" in a ship.
4. Repeating commands without player interaction when getting into the pilot seat as "crew"

While the first 2 can be explained by network desync, #3 and #4 are not unless something else is going on here. #4 is so out of this world i have a video i clipped to show you that this is really happening.

https://clips.twitch.tv/LongIcyThymeCclamChamp

So how can this happen? Simple explanation is that every player has his own instance and once a player enters the instance of another player (spaceship) he becomes cargo and part of that players instance while his real instance is "paused" or simply confused back at the point where he entered the other players instance. When the crew member in that video took control of the ship, the game made it his instance and the servers tried to catch up to his game position by starting to warp him to the position he already was at.

It's amazing how these guys completely hosed up netcode for CryEngine to turn it into an MMO, which it can never be.

i like this. the games foundation is hosed in so many ways. the more they try to add, the more performance and stability stuffers.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm with Shatner.

Get a life.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Frontier built Elite's engine from the ground up right? No loving around, just their own engine and such?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

You are a special kind of retard.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

star citizens live in a bizzaro land where paying money for a game is a valid reason for it not coming out, and despite regarding roberts as a perfectionist with total creative control, it's backers who dictate the scope and magnitude of the game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

If she wants to know more about the fabled hero, point her to... the blogs.

I don’t think she’d be as good as Derek though. He’s been doing this, almost non stop daily, for like 4 years.

:stonk:

The July Blog was in July 2015. How did we get to 4 years? Oh wait!! I get it now, we're going by Shitizen's schedule. :laffo:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

Haha.

I guess it all depends. This was the same thing that was mostly targeted at The Escapist though, right? I think I recall it was Ben who may have mostly called Derek out. I don’t remember this particular piece too well I’m afraid.

That's why I have it documented.

Ben's involvement was him posting about it on the official forums. But by that time, the company had already issued a press release about it. Yeah, I know, hilarious that they felt issuing a press release about someone writing a blog, was a loving great idea. Then croberts doubled down when The Escapist did their thing.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Talez posted:

A pox on both their houses. Derek isn't any better than CR. At least when CR has a publisher they either force him to finish or remove him from the project and have a decent final product. Which is why the future of SC bodes so badly; Nobody is going to keep CR in line.

Derek just comes up against the deadline, shits in the box, and ships it.

So uhm, which game have I done that with? Pray tell. :allears:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Foo Diddley posted:

It was targeted at the Escapist but accused them of colluding with Derek and spent a lot of time on him as well. They had also refunded him unilaterally and Ortwin sent a bogus legal threat around the same time

It's actually... oh God. Oh Jesus

it's all in the July blog :cripes:

LOL!! He mentions my name a few dozen times in his diatribe; though I had nothing to do with The Escapist article - at all.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Frontier built Elite's engine from the ground up right? No loving around, just their own engine and such?

Yeah I think they call it the Cobra engine and use it for all their games now

e: turns out they've been using it since 1988 :eyepop:

Lack of Gravitas fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 28, 2017