Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Rincewinds posted:

ghoul enslaving dixies Brotherhood of Steel plutocrats
"What do you mean it's horrifyingly inhumane that we strap bomb collars onto ghouls and send them out to the Glow to scav laser tech? Get over yourself, vault-boy. They're going to turn feral the minute you look away anyhow, they should be thanking us for actually going through the trouble of giving them food and shelter. Heck, I'd say they have it better than I did back in basic training, and furthermore..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Fallout 4 felt like a huge step backward in terms of narrative. In NV there was an ever present sense of anticipation and dread over the civilization forging climax at the dam and you got to shape that future person by person and faction by faction. Fallout 4 just felt like a bunch of lame fetch quests with zero character development and a bunch of ham fisted motivation-less factions you can't shape for poo poo. Maybe actually let the player steer the institute to good transhumanism or even make the rail road go full on civilian casualty terrorists raider minutemen etc.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So recently I got a new SSD and decided to fire up this game (I haven't played since early 2016). Now, despite having a much better, non failing hard drive, I am getting huge load times, like a minute or more, and sometimes infinite black load screens. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone found a solution? Nothing I've googled seems to work. I am getting tired of quicksaving everytime I want to go through a door.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I played this game a bunch on my brother's Xbone, and now I have it on PC, but I can't for the life of me get it running without crashing. I have an okay PC that can run something like the 2016 Hitman game without any issues, and I can start up FO4 on the lowest settings and play it for a bit. But I tried playing it with what I thought was a modest list of mods, and after getting out of Vault 111, it would routinely let me (sit through a loading screen and) play the game for about 30 seconds before either immediately crashing and closing without an error message, or just hardlocking my entire computer. Here's the list of mods I was using. I tried disabling most of them, but I still kept having issues.

I could post some of my system specs, if that would help. I know my CPU is kind of underpowered, just an Intel i3-3220, but it shouldn't be this bad.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I played this game a bunch on my brother's Xbone, and now I have it on PC, but I can't for the life of me get it running without crashing. I have an okay PC that can run something like the 2016 Hitman game without any issues, and I can start up FO4 on the lowest settings and play it for a bit. But I tried playing it with what I thought was a modest list of mods, and after getting out of Vault 111, it would routinely let me (sit through a loading screen and) play the game for about 30 seconds before either immediately crashing and closing without an error message, or just hardlocking my entire computer. Here's the list of mods I was using. I tried disabling most of them, but I still kept having issues.

I could post some of my system specs, if that would help. I know my CPU is kind of underpowered, just an Intel i3-3220, but it shouldn't be this bad.

Get rid of Spring Cleaning. Scrap Everything does all of that without being horribly outdated.

The same goes for SSEX and Homemaker. Chose only one. Better yet, use neither of them and get other mods that don't add a metric fuckton of poo poo you don't really need.

The Unofficial FO4 Patch HAS to be on at all times or you are loving up your save file if you continue from one that had it enabled.

Finally, there is a modding thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779393

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

null_pointer posted:

I think you just select them in Workshop Mode and you can tell them "Move" ... though I can't get Preston or Sturges out of Sanctuary.

You may have to complete Preston's buddy-quest to move him, but I ended up shuffling him (and every non-Courser rear end in a top hat companion) to the Castle for the big BoS Turkey Shoot. (Everyone possible was in power armor and packing modded laser gatlings :getin: .)

Sturges, I somehom assigned as a provisioner prior to trying to build the teleporter, which made ita bit of a chore to try and fast-travel ahead of his route and catch him. Ended up just following him to one end and reassinging him back to Sanctuary (via the Red Rocket because of *course* Sanctuary was immediately full).

hosed up a bit recently, ran Deacon's quest with him in full Raider PA and combat armor/military fatigues/beret, and now have MacReady in full Institute armor and uniform, with fully-modded blue laser.

Oh well, confusion to the everybody!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Father Wendigo posted:

"What do you mean it's horrifyingly inhumane that we strap bomb collars onto ghouls and send them out to the Glow to scav laser tech? Get over yourself, vault-boy. They're going to turn feral the minute you look away anyhow, they should be thanking us for actually going through the trouble of giving them food and shelter. Heck, I'd say they have it better than I did back in basic training, and furthermore..."

I could tell they were dickheads because of the attitude on that gung ho little fool of a recruit... They aren't openly hostile so I can crash at the police station. poo poo. My first settler was a Ghoul. My people keep well armed and can handle hostiles. It looks like the Minutemen are still it.

I think I'm going to tear a lot of poo poo down and truck it to the Castle. I think we might be able to get a lot of people in there. Sanc had a hard cap of some kind. So even though I had 28 beds, no more would move up there.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

osirisisdead posted:

I could tell they were dickheads because of the attitude on that gung ho little fool of a recruit... They aren't openly hostile so I can crash at the police station. poo poo. My first settler was a Ghoul. My people keep well armed and can handle hostiles. It looks like the Minutemen are still it.

I think I'm going to tear a lot of poo poo down and truck it to the Castle. I think we might be able to get a lot of people in there. Sanc had a hard cap of some kind. So even though I had 28 beds, no more would move up there.

Unless you're using mods I believe the cap is 10+CHA score, but it counts temporary buffs to CHA like clothing and drugs, so slap on your best dress, hat and designer sunglasses and pop some grape mentats if you're trying to max out your population cap.

Having more than a few unemployed settlers will also stop new ones from showing up too, although I'm unsure if that's just new settlers attracted by the beacon or settlers you manually send from other colonies.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Unless it was patched, it does affect "go there" orders - I've seen it with plain settlers and robots, and unique "encounter" merchants.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have three stores down at Sunshine, but maybe I should put more stores up at Sanctuary and sock some more people in up there. I'll check the perk tree to see if there is a way to do it without mods.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

osirisisdead posted:

That was a theoretical scenario, not a description of anything the BoS are doing in Fallout 4. You should let the BoS speak for themselves when they show up in force. It won't be too late to decide.

I like the Brotherhood as a plot seed - they're an idea that's doomed to fail, "contain tech and wait", but how long that's useful, how it fails, and where it goes afterward, can vary wildly based on the circumstances.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

I have three stores down at Sunshine, but maybe I should put more stores up at Sanctuary and sock some more people in up there. I'll check the perk tree to see if there is a way to do it without mods.

I should have made it more clear, the "we're full - gently caress off" thing was happening to me no matter the settler/merchant/critical NPC.

A hard cap of some sort on Sanctuary does sound right, though - I reached a hard limit on how many Brahmin I could send there, this playthrough.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm okay with it. I'll see how many I can lever into the Sunshine Drive In.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bWVhjY1N7c

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 29, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm a big fan of the general spin this game put on Power Armor. It's not endgame armor with stat buffs, though it can be that. It's a vehicle, and you can hop in and out of it as it suits you.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Glazius posted:

I'm a big fan of the general spin this game put on Power Armor. It's not endgame armor with stat buffs, though it can be that. It's a vehicle, and you can hop in and out of it as it suits you.

I definitely like it better than the PA in Fo3 or FoNV, but something about getting PA in Fo and Fo2 was very special and lost in all the 3D games.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's real dumb that you cant use unarmed weapons in the super strong exoskeleton

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

It's real dumb that you cant use unarmed weapons in the super strong exoskeleton

It's dumb the super strong exoskeleton doesn't even get an unarmed damage boost. Those hands look like they can easily punch through concrete walls.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's dumb the super strong exoskeleton doesn't even get an unarmed damage boost. Those hands look like they can easily punch through concrete walls.

Until you watch three glowing feral dogs (not even legendary) attack a fresh-dropped BoS Paladin and the armor shell just *exploding* off his limbs... :aaaaa:

But yeah, considering the arm mods you can do with PA, you should be able to wed on a Power Fist or an Assaultron blade for homegrown Wolverine action.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What are you talking about, you customize the fists themselves to do unarmed damage.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to build a suit where I replace the fists with deathclaw hands. That is possible, right?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

osirisisdead posted:

I want to build a suit where I replace the fists with deathclaw hands. That is possible, right?

It disturbs me to say you have a better chance of finding a mod that will replace power armor fists with giant wobbly boobs.

EDIT for content: Did they ever definitively say what the Institute was doing with their abductees? All I remember is them glossing over it (probably so they could make the Institute slightly less reprehensible).

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 29, 2017

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's cool too I guess. I guess I'll put the deathclaw hand on display in Red Rocket.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

osirisisdead posted:

Seems so. (Have not personally tested mod.)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

null_pointer posted:

It disturbs me to say you have a better chance of finding a mod that will replace power armor fists with giant wobbly boobs.

EDIT for content: Did they ever definitively say what the Institute was doing with their abductees? All I remember is them glossing over it (probably so they could make the Institute slightly less reprehensible).

Turning them into super mutants.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glazius posted:

Seems so. (Have not personally tested mod.)

I haven't done any mods without "developer" protection yet, are you sure this is safe? :kiss:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Turning them into super mutants.

I know they have an FEV lab, and Virgil was mutated due to loving up (?) when doing his work, but I never found anything saying "yeah, we're abducting people to use them as FEV guinea pigs".

Not saying it didn't happen, but I can't find anything supporting that.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I thought I read the dad from Warwick Homestead was turned into a super mutant on a computer in the institute but I could be wrong.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

osirisisdead posted:

I haven't done any mods without "developer" protection yet, are you sure this is safe? :kiss:

What is developer protection?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Idk if they mutated everyone they abducted but they certainly weren't mutating institute scientists

It's a shame that they never address what happens to most abducted people, it would help with the moral ambiguity if the abductees became members of the Institute, sometimes involuntarily. They'd be ignorant of the fact that they were replaced, and could have some of them (like Warwick) trying to contact their above-ground family and being punished.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I've been playing around with some tcl/no-clip and goddamn there's some weird stuff in some areas.
In the mini nuke storage facility, near Boston Airport, there's a room with a fat man that you can look in to, but cannot access. If you noclip inside, there's a fully furnished room with items you can loot, a sleeping barrack with loot and a bathroom with a teddy bear joke that nobody, except noclippers, are ever going to see.

Diamond city has a single furnished room on the top of the outside Wall, with all sorts of stuff and a mini nuke. I think you can reach it with a jet pack, but I didn't have enough AP to actually reach the room, and the area next to the room is an unfinished balcony where you can look straight in to the low-res model of Diamond city.

There's also a couple of doors, where if you go through the wall and behind the door, the game loads you into that zone.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seashell Salesman posted:

What is developer protection?

At least whatever rear end in a top hat made it had the sense to drop it in the Bethesda App store. WELCOME TO THE RIGHT NOW!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Finally got to the point where I could destroy the Institute and god drat there is no reason why I had to keep stringing Father along before doing that. In New Vegas, if you could make it to the the BOS' reactor terminal, you could blow up their base, any time you wanted. Why did I have to keep enabling the Institute for 5 or 6 missions before finally blowing them up?

Still, it felt pretty good to tell Father "Yeah, I'm here to blow up your reactor" while leaning over him on his deathbed, decked out in X-01 power armor. Then I shot him, because, hey, if you're gonna kill your son, at least be a man about it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You don't need to do a single Institute mission if you don't want to, though?

I know some people have just blown away Shawn the second the door opens but I've not tried it myself.

But you can just immediately leave and they will never bother or call upon you again. In fact with all the synths now neutral it actually makes some dungeons and areas easier to run through.

For the BOS they come up with their own plan for getting back in and wrecking the place. I assume the other factions do, too. Even with ~630 hours in this game I've beaten it like twice...

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Right, but the Boston Brotherhood chapter is almost as bad as the Institute. Both of them are the slightly different varieties of "gently caress you, pleb, you can't have any technology even though it would clearly improve everyone's life". I don't care about the BoS' anti-mutant stance, but when you lump in self-aware synths who just want to escape and live a normal life ... yeah, I'm blowing your poo poo up.

My point, which I didn't make very well, is that the Institute is abducting people, replacing them with synths, and actively "reclaiming" any synths that become self-aware. They're exactly the sort of faction that I want to gently caress over. I just don't get why, in order to lead a synth rebellion, I have to keep on doing Institute missions; an option to jump right to the "free the synths" mission without having to do all the "continue to assist Father" ones seems like a no-brainer.

EDIT: I think my largest gripe with the game, which sort of encompasses why I find the dialogue so bad, is that there's no option to really change the path of any of the factions. In New Vegas, the BoS chapter, there, was the same sort of xenophobic trash, but you had the opportunity to bring a more moderate faction into power. You could convince House that the BoS and NCR weren't threats. There were opportunities to change peoples' minds, but there's none of that in F4. Every faction is the way they are, with no possibility of altering their course.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 30, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

null_pointer posted:

I know they have an FEV lab, and Virgil was mutated due to loving up (?) when doing his work, but I never found anything saying "yeah, we're abducting people to use them as FEV guinea pigs".

Not saying it didn't happen, but I can't find anything supporting that.

He says he infected himself with a reversible strain of the FEV so he could hide in the Glowing Sea and then un-mutate himself when the heat died down.

null_pointer posted:

EDIT: I think my largest gripe with the game, which sort of encompasses why I find the dialogue so bad, is that there's no option to really change the path of any of the factions. In New Vegas, the BoS chapter, there, was the same sort of xenophobic trash, but you had the opportunity to bring a more moderate faction into power. You could convince House that the BoS and NCR weren't threats. There were opportunities to change peoples' minds, but there's none of that in F4. Every faction is the way they are, with no possibility of altering their course.

Yeah, you seem to be really set on a course. When you're doing the Kill Virgil quest without any intent to kill him, there isn't even an option for "I'm not actually going to kill you" right off the bat, it's hidden in the "why should I let you live" dialogue tree.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Well, paint me red and slap me up on the barn ... I just finished the Mechanist DLC and it was actually ... quite charming.

Just a trifle, mind you, but I loved that I had a way to finish the boss fight in a completely non-violent way. It was self-contained and not at all high-stakes, but finishing it felt pretty satisfying.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

null_pointer posted:

Well, paint me red and slap me up on the barn ... I just finished the Mechanist DLC and it was actually ... quite charming.

Just a trifle, mind you, but I loved that I had a way to finish the boss fight in a completely non-violent way. It was self-contained and not at all high-stakes, but finishing it felt pretty satisfying.

The final dungeon and boss fight are also uncharacteristically fun for a Bethesda project, IMO.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, nothing will ever top every appliance in The Sink cheering you on, at the end of Old World Blues, but, yeah -- the fight and the dialogue and the ultimate resolution was surprisingly refreshing!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I thought that the loading screen note about free horse armour was making fun of Elder Scrolls DLC, but holy gently caress, it's actually real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I know a lot of people bitch about save-on-sleep only in survivor mode, but it makes the game so goddamn intense, I love it. I'm doing it vanilla except for a faster affinity mod and one that allows me to use ballistic fiber without doing the Railroad runs (I did this because I want to avoid the Railroad until after Nuka-World).

I just had a 2+ hour marathon between rests. The highlight was, 45 minutes in, walking to the edge of a crater and aggroing a putrid glowing one and his army of minions. Being lvl 10 and able to take about 1 punch from a regular ghoul before dying, I ran away, several blocks, and hid until I got the clear status, then I started moving again. I underestimated the veracity of the glowing one, he must have had a nose like a bloodhound because a couple blocks later he and his bros were waiting for me. I ran a ways away, they beat on Piper for a bit. I went back but they were just chilling out, congregating right by her. I walked around the block and a few minutes later they ambled off. I stimmed her and kept going, we killed some more raiders but as usual they didn't have any beds or sleeping bags. Right as I finished off the last of some raiders in an encampment I got ambushed by - you guessed it - the glowing one and his bros. This was about 10 more blocks away from the previous battle, and maybe 20 minutes later. I ran and left Piper to the mercies of the ghouls, waited a couple minutes, walked around the block and they had gone far enough away that I could stim her again. I went on but kept running into ghouls, just in the street or in gutters or whatever, it was like Night of the Living Dead. I wasn't fighting them because I still thought that glowing one was giving me the It Follows treatment. I even came upon a raider base that had been taken over by ghouls, they were on the ground, wandering the upper walkways, just like the raiders were supposed to do. Finally I made it to Mystic Pines and found a bed, my adrenaline was around 40% and I had just run out of water but I'll deal with that later.

• Locked thread