Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why make GPOs when you can shove everything you need into the Default Domain Policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Super Soaker Party! posted:

No? Here's a primer:

1. Just stuff new user/computer objects in the default Users and Computers top level OUs.
2. Set every user object to password never expires, and change password policy in the default domain GPO to 2 characters no complexity no passwords remembered.
3. Come to think of it, don't create any other GPOs at all, make all changes in the default domain GPO, including turning Windows firewall completely off, setting Windows updates to point to a server that doesn't exist anymore and not allowing machines to access updates from Microsoft, definitely enable NetBIOS sharing (turn off SMB2, SMB1's much better), and allow RDP from any user no NLA required.
4. Set up 5 domain controllers: DC1, DC2, DC4, SERVER03, APOLLO. Split FSMO roles between DC2 and APOLLO. Now without changing any roles, turn off the DC2 and APOLLO physical servers and ewaste them (they were physical of course, you have no VMs because virtualization technology is too new and untrusted).
5. Add all users to Domain Admins so they can install coupon software on their machines.
6. Set up fileshares with Everyone full control for both sharing and NTFS permissions.

Ahh, there we go, job done. Happy New Year!

This is loving awful, lord.

Like there are some difficult/odd things in GPO (and in AD somewhat) that aren't immediately obvious and will require a little googling or trial and error testing to figure out how it works. Some GPOs don't apply how you think they will (based on the info MS gives you in the GPO blurb it seems like it will do A but instead it does B), but christ, this is like basic poo poo they are loving up.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MF_James posted:

This is loving awful, lord.

And the worst part about it is that every single number in that list is either something I've seen from personal experience fixing other people's massive fuckups or in these threads. I.e. 100% true story.

So that should give you some warm fuzzy feelings, and by warm fuzzy feelings I mean this is why we drink.

edit: #4 happened to me literally 3 months ago. It was...you know that sinking feeling you get when you fall off a rollercoaster? Yeah kind of like that, oh and the rollercoaster is running Windows 2000.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 28, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

Guess what I found here when I first started digging into the GPOs?

:negative:

I think it's actually somewhat worse to open it for the first time and find there are 50 GPOs, all active, with aggressively conflicting policies. You never know which GPO is load-bearing in this stack of cards, good luck unfucking it without destroying every workstation!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

Like there are some difficult/odd things in GPO (and in AD somewhat) that aren't immediately obvious and will require a little googling or trial and error testing to figure out how it works. Some GPOs don't apply how you think they will (based on the info MS gives you in the GPO blurb it seems like it will do A but instead it does B)
But that's why you have RSoP.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think it's actually somewhat worse to open it for the first time and find there are 50 GPOs, all active, with aggressively conflicting policies. You never know which GPO is load-bearing in this stack of cards, good luck unfucking it without destroying every workstation!

Running a ton of automated result-of-policy commands to tease out the winning set of GPOs for each user group, then set up a new set of GPOs in a test OU, add a VM or two there to test stuff with, then migrate everyone to the new OU overnight and pray to god you did your testing right?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
GPO THUNDERDOME! :black101:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wish there was a way to organize GPO's without also changing their scope.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

kensei posted:

This thread is over 4 years old. Is it time for a new one?

Only 4 years? Do you know how much this thread cost to implement then?

Changes are scary.
IT Thread 3.11 for workgroups is sufficient.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We need to get the ITIL person in here to explain the process for creating a new thread. We also need to make sure it's ISO 9001 compliant.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

kensei posted:

Is this the time of year where we discuss merging A Ticket Came In and poo poo That Pisses You Off?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

We need to get the ITIL person in here to explain the process for creating a new thread. We also need to make sure it's ISO 9001 compliant.

My nephew creates threads all the time, why are you making this difficult

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

To be completely honest I am all in favor of planning out a new thread like it's the worst type of bureaucratic IT project and seeing how terrible it ends up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We need to appoint someone to be the Scope Creep.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Inspector_666 posted:

To be completely honest I am all in favor of planning out a new thread like it's the worst type of bureaucratic IT project and seeing how terrible it ends up.

Can someone post in https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200 and get the sales department's feedback on this

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I just want to tell you guys I've never worked in IT or managed a successful project so I would be happy to be the PM for this.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One of these days I'm gonna figure out a way to automatically analyze GPOs, RSOP everything, and then come up with a suggestion on how to consolidate everything. I'm gonna market it as GPO Unfucker, profanity and all, and make millions.

Enterprise GPO Unfucker license for $100
Enterprise GPO Unscrewer license for $1000 + $10 per object
Both products will be identical with the exception of the name and price.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

whats the eta on the new thread, marketing announced it already

-boss

Sent from my iPhone

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'll be the server room dog

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Can't make the status update meetings ever, please send a transcription to the tech lead and have him call me to read it back. I'll be available 2 minutes after the meeting ends.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
*comes by your desk*

Hey did you see that post I just made? I can repeat it to you now if you're free. Oh you're on a call? Anyway so the post said...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I will add an urgent request and then never reply to your emails or calls.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Are you in charge of the new thread project? Dave laid down a few requirements from el Jefe himself.

1. The new thread needs to be where the old thread was, just move the old thread and put the new one there. I can tell you right now, he's not gonna budge on this one

2. Can we do this in Sharepoint? If not, can we get all the Sharepoint Admins added to the OP list of this thread?

3. I don't think he even cares about this one, he just won't give a list with less than 3 items, but "can it be blue?"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’ll host this thread. I have a desktop running Ubuntu in my basement that should do the trick.

Oh that bucket? I use that to bail out the rainwater that comes pouring in from the cracked window every winter. Why?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks for your time on the call, that was really helpful to get an idea of what you're after. If you could just write it all down in an email to me that would be great.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks for your time on the call, that was really helpful to get an idea of what you're after. If you could just write it all down in an email to me that would be great.

I got your email, but I'm really swamped. Can you pencil in 15 minutes to go over it with me today?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

kensei posted:

Make it on New Year's Day. Call it the 2018 thread.

I'm of the belief that all megathreads should be annual threads. The 2017 [whatever] thread, the 2018 thread, 2019, etc.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

I got your email, but I'm really swamped. Can you pencil in 15 minutes to go over it with me today?

Did you get this? I've marked this urgent and attached your department head to get moving.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I heard sales promise a customer that the new thread will have six superstar stories and twenty YOTJs in less than six months. This would make for a really good thread that will beat our competition, so please include your best posters to meet this goal or we'll miss our bonus.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey guys can we start again from the beginning? My lunch ran long and I missed the first fifteen minutes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh hey guys is this page already booked? Do you know how long you're going to be?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Grassy Knowles posted:

Are you in charge of the new thread project? Dave laid down a few requirements from el Jefe himself.

1. The new thread needs to be where the old thread was, just move the old thread and put the new one there. I can tell you right now, he's not gonna budge on this one

2. Can we do this in Sharepoint? If not, can we get all the Sharepoint Admins added to the OP list of this thread?

3. I don't think he even cares about this one, he just won't give a list with less than 3 items, but "can it be blue?"

+ additional resources

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

+ additional resources

+ additional resources again. Forgot to add them before sending :)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A bunch of mods and admin already have this thread bookmarked. Can we be sure the new thread is accessible from the old thread so they don't have to change anything or learn something new?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
You guys, throw out everything you've said so far, it's all nonsense. My neighbor's cousin's son does project management and ran some internet forums for a while. I've already talked to the COO and he's going to talk to the board about bringing him in to run this. Dick you'll need to move out of your office ASAP in case this kid gets hired so he has a place to sit. You can either use the broom closet or sit at the receptionist's desk while she's on break. Also, my printer doesn't work, it says something about out of paper, but I'm not good with computers, can you come fix it?

e: Oh he posted on some internet forums, he didn't run them. But he's getting his MBA so we should hire him anyway because he knows about Business

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 28, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

+1 also having this problem would love a new thread do you know when it'll be shipped?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Despite the constant lack of regression tests covfefe

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

FWD:

Grassy Knowles posted:

Did you get this? I've marked this urgent and attached your department head to get moving.
CC: Everyone

Brenda will be leaving us next week because she's going to stay home to take care of her baby. She brought cake to the break room. Which is against company policy. It would be nice if you all could make a voluntary donation in her name to one of the approved charities (see attached document) as a thanks anyway!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RE: FWD:
CC: Everyone, CEO, HR, President

Please remove me from this conversation.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Brenda will be leaving us next week because she's going to stay home to take care of her baby. She brought cake to the break room. Which is against company policy. It would be nice if you all could make a voluntary donation in her name to one of the approved charities (see attached document) as a thanks anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've never made an OP on this forum but I moderated a forum fifteen years ago, had about 10 users. Shouldn't be that different and I think I can google everything I need. I've got 10 minutes available at 4:50 on Friday, should we save money and just do this thing in-house?

-----------------------

RE: FWD: FWD:
CC: Everyone, CEO, HR, President, Barack Obama, Lead Sales Rep of Competing Company

Jaded Burnout posted:

RE: FWD:
CC: Everyone, CEO, HR, President

Please remove me from this conversation.

Me too

• Locked thread