Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shitshow posted:

You are so very close: he literally tried to insert a five-page anonymous quote from reddit until the editor said no.

Not just "said no", more like basically said "hey idiot, we fronted you $80 grand to do better than this, if we publish you we're going to look like a loving joke AND nazi enablers. You better fix your poo poo or we're gonna sue YOU"

like in a Word margin comment

e: tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kaal posted:

"neo-liberal",

Neo liberal was the worst because it's a word that means a thing but it was super obvious people were just using it to mean whatever because "neocon" was a thing.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Kaal posted:

"Centrist" is the new "neo-liberal", which was the new "counter-revolutionary": They're terms used to disparage other leftists that disagree with your opinions.

neoliberalism is a very specific ideology though, unlike centrist, and is an academic term that accurately describes the political alignment of an absurd amount of governments inspired by Thatcher and Reagan even after the disasters the IMF caused adopting it

I mean yeah it's also a snarl world, and if you want to argue that neoliberalism is not an ideology that has had a definitive world influence since the 80s you're welcome to, but you would also be demonstrably wrong

e; there's a very legitimate problem of people dismissing certain models of governance as neoliberal and this being a universal criticism without actually explaining it but unless you're talking about governance pre-1980 or idk Sweden or Cuba then it's probably accurate anyway, so...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shitshow posted:

You are so very close: he literally tried to insert a five-page anonymous quote from reddit until the editor said no.

He's literally a bad student trying to get to 3 pages words by triple spacing and increasing the font size.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SurgicalOntologist posted:

This is not at all how catching works neurally. There is no estimation involved. Even insects have the neural circuitry for interception, so it's doubtful the explanation for this mistake has anything to do with brain development.

Right yeah, I'm saying it requires a certain level of brain development for a creature to develop this skill and dog, who should be well above that threshold that insects reach, just failed spectacularly. Probably because he was so excited for taco that conscious taco thoughts interrupted his unconscious math.

Like his brain is all cozied up with some paper and a pen and carefully making calculations but all it can hear is the other side of the brain shouting "TACO! TACO! IT'S A TACO! GUYS TACO! TACO TACO!"

And that caused the taco to betray his face.

But it doesn't matter, because good dog will just happily eat it off the ground so no harm done! It's win/win/win for everyone but the dog species as a whole but since they'll never know it it's not even a loss.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Spangly A posted:

neoliberalism is a very specific ideology though, unlike centrist, and is an academic term that accurately describes the political alignment of an absurd amount of governments inspired by Thatcher and Reagan even after the disasters the IMF caused adopting it

I mean yeah it's also a snarl world, and if you want to argue that neoliberalism is not an ideology that has had a definitive world influence since the 80s you're welcome to, but you would also be demonstrably wrong

e; there's a very legitimate problem of people dismissing certain models of governance as neoliberal and this being a universal criticism without actually explaining it but unless you're talking about governance pre-1980 or idk Sweden or Cuba then it's probably accurate anyway, so...

I don't think anyone is arguing that neoliberal wasn't a defined ideology with a TL;DR of "Central planning: bad. Trade and competitive markets: good.".

They're arguing that neoliberal became a word that was just a random pejorative.

Academically it is still used all the time in economics with its traditional meaning. On dead, dumb internet comedy forums it is just a replacement for calling people names that are no longer socially acceptable.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/946440267627864064

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/946439767431905280

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/946438863718834176

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/946433555273416704

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/946433072714547200

This book seems like a real gem.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Since Hillary is hated so much by Republican voters, she should publicly endorse Republican candidates with state-wide commercials and say things like, "Sam will lead Mississippi exactly like I would, so he's got my support!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
When she ironi-commended the Reagans for their efforts to fight HIV it just got put on the leftist 'why Hillary sucks' list.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

When she ironi-commended the Reagans for their efforts to fight HIV it just got put on the leftist 'why Hillary sucks' list.

The "no see she's doing it ironically to bring attention to the fact that the Reagans ignored the AIDS crisis" takes that came out after that was some bizarre double think.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, but who cares? She's not running for office again.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Sure making GBS threads on Nancy Reagan's funeral parade by having everyone write articles about how she had a hand in condemning thousands of people to death for the crime of being icky was a bitch move but Nancy deserved it.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, if I'm following this lawsuit right:
Milo wanted to publish his "biography"
Simon & Shuster agreed to publish it for $250,000 and gave him a $80,000 advance
Simon and Shuster sent him a letter saying "Yeah...nevermind. But go ahead and keep the advance." after reading the trainwreck of a book and even his super conservative editor scribbled "WTF?" in the margins
5 months later Milo publishes the book himself and it fails miserably.
He then sues S&S for 10 million for "breach of contract" and vows "I don't even WANT your money" without...you know...returning the money.

And now we get to read the hilarious notes written by the, again very conservative, editor desperately trying to make this pig ear into a, well not a silk purse, "anything resembling something readable" I guess.
https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/DocumentDisplayServlet?documentId=VhVQNjyOxzgx32b52YsZJg==&system=prod

quote:

Comment [A32]: this entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen, and NO Satanism. Delete

quote:

Comment [A48]: Smorgasborgs don't have bottoms you're not making this point very well

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/946445937303420928

"I'm a monster! I'm a horrible monster! I'm a racist, bigoted piece of poo poo loving monster and I am absolutely the worst person on the entire planet! gently caress you! gently caress your mom! gently caress EVERYONE!"

"Maybe we should give this guy a chance."

six months later -

"Wow, this guy's a real monster. How could we have known?"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Duke Igthorn posted:

So, if I'm following this lawsuit right:
Milo wanted to publish his "biography"
Simon & Shuster agreed to publish it for $250,000 and gave him a $80,000 advance
Simon and Shuster sent him a letter saying "Yeah...nevermind. But go ahead and keep the advance." after reading the trainwreck of a book and even his super conservative editor scribbled "WTF?" in the margins
5 months later Milo publishes the book himself and it fails miserably.
He then sues S&S for 10 million for "breach of contract" and vows "I don't even WANT your money" without...you know...returning the money.

And now we get to read the hilarious notes written by the, again very conservative, editor desperately trying to make this pig ear into a, well not a silk purse, "anything resembling something readable" I guess.
https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/DocumentDisplayServlet?documentId=VhVQNjyOxzgx32b52YsZJg==&system=prod

My favorite:

https://twitter.com/ctsatt/status/946414812178894849

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

twistedmentat posted:

This except was posted in one of the FB groups i'm in

I cannot imagine how lovely this book is. It's probably little more than published youtube comments.

Should’ve just highlighted the whole drat book for this comment:

quote:

Unclear, unfunny, delete

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, there goes my only defense

Edit: I assume he meant "not racist" there.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

His editor doesn't understand your/you're. Good stuff.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So was his editor also a white supremacist he worked with or was he or she just an unlucky sap assigned by S&S to work on that mess?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 28, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I hope Clinton's out and active during the 2018 election so that the GOP keeps attacking her while Dem candidates get to focus on actual issues and stomp the poo poo out of the GOP nationwide to retake one or both chambers of Congress.

Glazier posted:

Too much baggage and she's too compromised.

What's it like being so thoroughly brainwashed by decades of right wing propaganda?

Why would it? Nobody cares about some weirdo who worked for a right winger who lost a race in Alabama. If he won the race then sure.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Igthorn posted:

Well, there goes my only defense

Edit: I assume he meant "not racist" there.

I'm actually OK with racists thinking that if they just go suck a big black dick, they can't be accused of being racist anymore.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Edit probably started out with "Through the book you're doing blah blah blah" and then rewrote that sentence.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

To me, a centrist is basically a spineless coward who makes compromises on every issue because their own beliefs are disposable and nothing more than tools they use to get elected.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
My favorite is Milo's description of his morning routine. The editor called it "Patrick Bateman" like. Actually reading it, and he's right, it's almost word for word from American Psycho.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, lol

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

My favorite is Milo's description of his morning routine. The editor called it "Patrick Bateman" like. Actually reading it, and he's right, it's almost word for word from American Psycho.

It's also STDH.txt

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

"avoid parenthetical insults" :sad:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:hmbol:

Nobody seemed to tell Breznhev. Or my dad who helped hunt Russian subs in the early 80s. This is the rising "intellectual" star of the alt-right. A high school pepe troll.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 28, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
You know given how open Milo Dangerous f-word is about most aspects about his life, I think his black boytoys with big black dicks are imaginary. What the black name version of George Glass?

edit :

also I want to think that he's so toxic in person that no token is willing to be a gigolo for him. Sort of like how Notch is so toxic that no one is willing to put up with that poo poo to be friends will a real billionaire.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 28, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pseudorandom name posted:

Edit probably started out with "Through the book you're doing blah blah blah" and then rewrote that sentence.

Maybe. Could also just be that the editor is sloppy. I've been both an author and an editor, and my dev/copy editors were often horrifically sloppy in their margin comments and queries. Doesn't mean they can't correct other people's work effectively. And this guy's comments are some of the most incisive and well targeted I've ever seen

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The editor had to write a book of revisions. Its no surprise they made a few mistakes

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Democrats were able to effectively steal elections in ALABAMA with a 20000 vote margin, Trump's rear end wouldn't be president now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, criticizing the editor who largely seems on point and scathing for some typos/grammatical mistakes seems like missing the forest from the trees.

We're here to laugh at Milo and the copy editor is our helpful guide and critic in that journey.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

I'm actually OK with racists thinking that if they just go suck a big black dick, they can't be accused of being racist anymore.

what in the everloving gently caress

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

empty whippet box posted:

If you want white racists who like men to chase after black men for weird racist reasons you're already living in that reality, and also, why do you want that?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol that the publishers of Milo's book thought he was a serious intellectual conservative and not a sub-Ann-Coulter level troll

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assume that the editor had started drinking well beforehand, so some mistakes are expected.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

:hmbol:

Nobody seemed to tell Breznhev. Or my dad who helped hunt Russian subs in the early 80s. This is the rising "intellectual" star of the alt-right. A high school pepe troll.

well yeah, he is a moron with history, its kinda of a thing with the alt right/right in general. i mean cernovich was crowing about about the great man/person theory.

Koalas March posted:

what in the everloving gently caress

its a joke making fun of the fact that the alt right are morons who do weird projectionist poo poo.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
At some point it must have dawned on the editor that Milo therefore no one was going to read his or hers notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Burning_Monk posted:

Isn't Milo the same shithead that published a book of 'poetry' that was basically 100% plagiarised from Tori Amos lyrics?

Fake edit: Yes, yes he was.

• Locked thread