Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
How would you guys builds a Paladin type character? Here's what I went with, but I seem to be having some trouble. With my Breton/Atronach build I'm still taking huge amount of damage from spells.

Breton - Atronach

Major Skills
  • Block
  • Blunt Weapon
  • Restoration
  • Heavy Armor
  • Speechcraft
Minor Skills
  • Acrobatics
  • Security
  • Alteration
  • Athletics
  • Mercantile

The idea with the build was to kind of follow the D&D idea of a Paladin, who is charismatic and can take a beating.

What would you change? Skills I have to keep, though, are basically what I have in my Major Skills list (except for maybe block). Security and Alteration were just filler skills. I'm pretty much a noob to Morrowind, even though I've played it off and on since 2004.

I'm playing with the Madd Leveler mod, so I'm not too worried about what's optimal for gaming the leveling system, just maybe a better starting point. Also, maybe a recommendation on some early quests to do. I went to Caius (after doing that cave by Seyda Neen and the Fargoth quest) and joined the Legion, but those quests are handing me my rear end.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
First two thoughts: Swap Block for Long Blade; do Tribunal Temple quests. The Legion and the Temple both reward some pretty paladin-appropriate 2-handed weapons late in their questlines, and the Legion's is a sword.

Oh! The Imperial Cult is probably a good choice, too, since their early quests are pretty low-danger (a lot of walking around and talking) and their later quests are all about getting powerful relics for (your) safekeeping.

Might want to swap in Armorer for Alteration or Security. Earn Strength bonuses while keeping your gear in top shape. If you ditch Security, you stick closer to character concept, and you can still cast Open with Alteration.

Mercantile doesn't feel terribly useful, but I'm one of those 15-year Morrowind vets who knows where all the bodies are buried how to get rich quickly.

Not sure how to help you when it comes to spell damage. Might want to change race: Breton has a 50% resist to magicka, but that's not a resist to all spells, just spells with no other damage type. If something is Fire/Frost/Poison/Shock, it ignores that resistance completely. The Absorb Spell effect from your Atronach birthsign is different: it's a 50% chance for any spell that hits you to be completely absorbed. Nords and Dunmer are good for resisting elemental-type damage.

Edit: VVV Yeah, I figured Mace & Shield was the idea, but was blinded by the game's 2-handed sword artifact having "The Paladin's Blade" as an alternate in-lore name. For a one-handed mace, I have two words.

Skull. Crusher.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 9, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, I plan on using Mace & Shield, so Long Blade and Two handed weapons don't really appeal to me.

The fact that spell resistance is only for non-elemental spells is kind of crazy, though. Guess I'll go Imperial.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Interesting thing to note about Atronach sign: you can absorb any spell cast at you; including positive one. For example, when you use an altar to get a cure or restore blessing? You might just absorb it instead.

That makes climbing in the Cult/Temple ranks enough that using altars become gratis a good thing. Then you can just spam use the altars to recharge your magicka and hopefully get the effect you wanted.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
And if you're having trouble with spells cast against you and don't mind wearing a robe over armour I'd suggest going for the Robe of Drake's Pride which gives constant effect 10 intelligence, 25 points of fire resistance and 25 points of spell reflection. It's a great piece of gear for an atronach. Any spell reflection is calculated after your absorption from your birthsign.

More a mid game suggestion though.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 9, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

PureRok posted:

How would you guys builds a Paladin type character? Here's what I went with, but I seem to be having some trouble. With my Breton/Atronach build I'm still taking huge amount of damage from spells.

Breton - Atronach

Major Skills
  • Block
  • Blunt Weapon
  • Restoration
  • Heavy Armor
  • Speechcraft
Minor Skills
  • Acrobatics
  • Security
  • Alteration
  • Athletics
  • Mercantile

The idea with the build was to kind of follow the D&D idea of a Paladin, who is charismatic and can take a beating.

What would you change? Skills I have to keep, though, are basically what I have in my Major Skills list (except for maybe block). Security and Alteration were just filler skills. I'm pretty much a noob to Morrowind, even though I've played it off and on since 2004.

On the assumption that these are going to be the skills you use the most frequently, I suggest replacing Security with Mysticism. Alteration already lets you open locks, and with Mysticism you can use Telekinesis to bypass trapped doors and chests, rendering Security a redundant skill. It also works nicely with with the Atronach sign since you can buff your spell absorption even higher. Plus there are plenty of religious-themed spells in the Mysticism school like Divine Intervention for roleplaying purposes, in addition to being a favored skill for the Tribunal and Imperial temples. Probably replace Acrobatics with Long Blade or Armorer. You'll never need to jump anywhere when you've got Alteration spells.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 9, 2017

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PureRok posted:

Honestly, all early game characters are pretty flimsy. It’s extremely hard to tank anything in Morrowind at low levels, even if you’ve cheesed yourself some fancy gear. Just get good at Running The gently caress Away, or be comfortable save-scumming.

(Also, in case you didn’t realize it, the Atronach absorb effect is “absorb all half the time,” not “absorb half all the time,” making it way less reliable as a survival mechanism.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Mountaineer posted:

It also works nicely with with the Atronach sign since you can buff your spell absorption even higher.
While I love Mysticism, it's sadly not easy: Each Spell Absorb effect is calculated independently, rather than pooled together. Say you're born under the Atronach (50pts), wearing the Necromancer's Amulet (25pts), and carrying Greed (20pts). 95 points of Spell Absorption and your chance is of absorbing any given spell is ... 70%. Cast a 30pt Spell Absorption effect and it goes up to 79%. On top of that, Spell Absorption is one of the most costly effects you can cast, with a base cost of 10: twice that of Restore Health. So at matching Restoration & Mysticism levels, 30 points of Spell Absorption for 10 seconds is as easy to cast as 60pt/10s heal, which would cost ... 165 magicka and be appropriately difficult to cast.

Usually I just take whatever permanent effects I can find and ignore trying to raise Spell Absorption myself.

PureRok posted:

The fact that spell resistance is only for non-elemental spells is kind of crazy, though. Guess I'll go Imperial.
Well, it's not spell resistance. Spells create stuff, which then gets lobbed at you. That stuff has a damage type, and Bretons take half damage from the type "magicka", which is just one of the family of stuff types. Spell Absorption is truly for all spells, which is why it's so powerful to have, so hard to cast, and why the Atronach is such a powerful birthsign.

I mean, Resist Magicka's not nothing. It helps versus any Absorb, Damage, Drain, or Weakness To spells, and that's pretty good. On the other hand, I feel like those are spells I'm more likely to cast than be hit with.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

removed

kazr fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 15, 2017

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Kazr, did you include Mesh Improvements like the PBG guide did? Because those meshes are such badly-smoothed, performance-killing garbage their inclusion is a total dealkiller for me.

Also most bowls in RR's Better Meshes float above shelves and tables because they flattened the bottoms without taking original placement into account (because the RR meshes were originally made for a TC and it didn't matter). I overwrite theirs with my bowls in MIO instead of in the order in the PBG.

I had more notes on my own PBG-based build, but unfortunately lost them in my HDD crash a few months ago. I didn't lose my in-progress UL 4.0, but Iost a ton of assets and other little mods I was working on :smith:

Edit: I do have some bump-mapped bullshit in MIO, mostly the glass stuff (like your peach bowl). I was in the process of stripping it for OpenMW users when my HD crash happened, so I suggest either stripping them yourself for your package or overwriting them with the RR versions. Whichever looks better in-game.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 15, 2017

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ugh. Yes. I'll look into amending this travesty. Is this the one in question? http://mw.modhistory.com/download-90-13384

I used the bowl meshes from Qarl's mod http://www.fullrest.ru/files/Bowl_Items/files

kazr fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 15, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Including TR is a Bad Idea for a modpack.

TR updates every 4 months or so and is probably 50% of your file size

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ps if people tell me morrowind looks bad I tell them to turn on their monitor :^]

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

TR_Data is a little under 500mb out of almost 7gb. Pretty sizable but not outrageous.

Realized I forgot to include Arukinn's Better Books, and left in Illy's Dirty Books.esp from when I was testing it out even though I removed the asset files. I think downloading all these mods put holes in my brain.

The author of Jsp's Mines and Caverns responded and fixed the missing lightrays.

Looks like I have some work to do. Any additional mod recommendations?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Whatever happened to the Chocolate Pack? I recall it being a pretty good modpack. Maybe its got some things that can be used if someone has a link to it, the original site seems to be nonexistent.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
As a TR lead developer, I ask you to not do this. TR is such a mess of 17 years of permissions that we cannot really give anyone okay to include it in a mod pack.
Tamriel_Data (which I'm also a coordinator of) even less - some of these assets are explicitely not allowed to be shared outside of our projects.
We had DMCA trouble even within the projects, you're prodding a hornet's nest.

Please cease including them in your modpack. Download instructions are fine.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 15, 2017

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Atrayonis posted:

As a TR lead developer, I ask you to not do this. TR is such a mess of 17 years of permissions that we cannot really give anyone okay to include it in a mod pack.
Tamriel_Data (which I'm also a coordinator of) even less - some of these assets are explicitely not allowed to be shared outside of our projects.
We had DMCA trouble even within the projects, you're prodding a hornet's nest.

Please cease including them in your modpack. Download instructions are fine.

Will do. I'm going to take the post down for now. It's obvious now I jumped the gun on this one.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

kazr posted:

Will do. I'm going to take the post down for now. It's obvious now I jumped the gun on this one.
Thank you. For what it's worth, I'm sorry about this. We've been asked before about giving an okay for TES3MP modpacks and we just can't do it, however much we want to.

We can sorta try giving permissions for Tamriel Rebuilt itself, and see who blows up at us or you or both of us. There was no implicit copyright/distributor rights assignment until this year (and no explicit one at all) and the Bethesda EULA, which assumes all mods can be shared as all copyright belongs to Bethesda, is untested in court and also incompatible with non-copyright countries' ownership rights.

Granting permission for Tamriel_Data is out of the question for the forseeable future however, as there are some assets (including basically all cliffs and some creatures on the TR side, and as I understand basically all of Project Tamriel's side) that are forbidden from being shared outside of the designated downloads for Project Tamriel and Tamriel Rebuilt. Making Tamriel_Data available as it is is pretty much the best we can do until someone falls from the sky that can replace all the custom-permission assets with freely distributable ones.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 15, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How does rights clearance even work for TR? After so many years of development it must be a complete mess understanding who owns what and what permission was granted, not to mention the multi-jurisdictional element.

The European Parliament is actually coming up with rules now on all authors of copyright protected works being granted a right to equitable remuneration when they transfer or licence their rights to another party, which might throw a spanner in the works for Bethesda-style UGC policies. There’s also proposals for transparency/reporting obligations about how works are used as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Any way to livestream European courts dealing with modding drama?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

How does rights clearance even work for TR? After so many years of development it must be a complete mess understanding who owns what and what permission was granted, not to mention the multi-jurisdictional element.

The European Parliament is actually coming up with rules now on all authors of copyright protected works being granted a right to equitable remuneration when they transfer or licence their rights to another party, which might throw a spanner in the works for Bethesda-style UGC policies. There’s also proposals for transparency/reporting obligations about how works are used as well.

TR has a big disclaimer now that says if you submit work to the site it's still yours but you've granted us a licence to use it in perpetuity. (I think. I don't read the fine print) That hasn't always existed. I know there have been some weird edge cases in the past.

RE tr in a modpack though: ideally you want the modpack to be something that isn't updated constantly. TR has frequent releases and sounds like a lot of trouble even if it was legally possible

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Any way to livestream European courts dealing with modding drama?

You jest, but there's a very real possibility of this sort of thing happening within the next five to ten years.

Until now the video games industry has largely managed to avoid sector-specific regulation in Europe. They've also benefited from an ambiguous software/technically not software copyright classification which has helped them in a variety of court cases over the years. The legal status of games in terms of copyright in Europe was only definitively settled in a court case from 2014. Regulators weren't familiar with the industry or its practices for a very long time.

This is changing pretty rapidly and now regulators are really starting to really look in to games. Stuff like the lootboxes disaster isn't doing the publisher side of the industry any favours. Geoblocking, Skin Gambling and how the industry uses peoples' personal and non-personal data, publisher-side modifications of games and dodgy advertising practices are all coming up.

MEPs, the European Commission and some EU Member States (France in particular) are very very pro "author" when it comes to copyright related issues. The law I mentioned is one such example where games are probably going to get caught up in it and there's going to have to be some serious adjustments where companies assume ownership of content generated by users.

You could even eventually see collecting societies stepping in and doing collective bargaining on mod authors' behalf (sort of like a union). Games companies are materially benefitting in terms of sales from contributions by mod authors. Sooner or later, and probably after another paid mods fiasco, modding is going to really start getting some attention.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

TR has a big disclaimer now that says if you submit work to the site it's still yours but you've granted us a licence to use it in perpetuity. (I think. I don't read the fine print) That hasn't always existed. I know there have been some weird edge cases in the past.

It's probably never going to be too much of an issue outside of the odd DMCA I'd guess.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Entropy238 posted:

quote:

It's probably never going to be too much of an issue outside of the odd DMCA I'd guess.
Basically like MBT said. I'm not quite sure either were that disclaimer is. It could probably stand to be a bit more prominent, it seems.

There's basically no way to retroactively get okays from people who haven't been around for 15-16 years.
DMCAs are the worst thing here, but a major contributor revoking their asset use agreement would be a nightmare as well - it might not legally hold up, but it would create enough drama that it could hamper the project for good. Goodwill is its own currency here.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I'm having an annoying bug, and wonder if anyone else has had (and hopefully solved) it:

On music transitions, I think, the game sometimes starts repeating a short sound, maybe some <1s part of the music track it's trying to play. Sounds sort of like a ringing or a buzzing, depending on the pitch. It's affected by the music volume slider, so I can turn it off entirely and just wander in a music-less Morrowind, but that's terrible. Searching for reports of this online only find people talking about sound issues related to crashing, and I don't have that problem.

Any clues, or tips for approaching diagnosis? Failing that, does anybody know a console command to reset/switch the music track, so I can try to get it working smoothly without restarting the game? (Hitting quickload and then quicksave is usually insufficient.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I recall having some issues with sounds like that, and fixing it... somehow. Sorry, I don't really remember how. Maybe turning from hardware to softwar 3d sound? I dont know. Sorry.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

If you're able to turn an option in your sound driver to low latency try that. I had a similar issue on an old computer and that worked.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

releasing morrowind exactly gets a grand total of 0 people interested and playing it

the standard morrowind engine has MGEXE + MWSE and can do insane things with shaders/shadows/distant land/complex scripting

purists won' t play openmw anyway, openmw needs more advanced features to get people to switch

I'm not really understanding what you're complaining about or what the perforce issue is but coming from a software background what they're doing makes perfect sense?

The point isn't "oh we hit 1.0, time to die", it's that 1.0 (roughly equal to the base) gives you a good basis for adding poo poo and moving forward. It's easier for people to fork new projects if they hate what people are doing with 1.1+ if they can just refer back to 1.0, it's easier to keep patching the base game and fixing core bugs while supporting increasing feature creep (multiplayer) etc.

Obviously they're going to continue adding poo poo once 1.0 is released.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm not really understanding what you're complaining about or what the perforce issue is but coming from a software background what they're doing makes perfect sense?

The point isn't "oh we hit 1.0, time to die", it's that 1.0 (roughly equal to the base) gives you a good basis for adding poo poo and moving forward. It's easier for people to fork new projects if they hate what people are doing with 1.1+ if they can just refer back to 1.0, it's easier to keep patching the base game and fixing core bugs while supporting increasing feature creep (multiplayer) etc.

Obviously they're going to continue adding poo poo once 1.0 is released.

you can introduce optional features (scripting functions) that do not affect any gameplay but encourage modders to become early adopters.

The more people you have playing and testing, the more bugs get reported and the bigger your developer-base gets. That's exactly what happened when tes3mp was released - they got a ton more developers.

right now there is a grand total of 0 modders testing Open-CS because there's no reason to switch from the current bethesda CS. If they added unique functions or features then maybe people would help test it.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Anyone that is doubting OpenMW needs to go play tes3mp with a buddy cuz holy poo poo it's incredible

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

you can introduce optional features (scripting functions) that do not affect any gameplay but encourage modders to become early adopters.

The more people you have playing and testing, the more bugs get reported and the bigger your developer-base gets. That's exactly what happened when tes3mp was released - they got a ton more developers.

right now there is a grand total of 0 modders testing Open-CS because there's no reason to switch from the current bethesda CS. If they added unique functions or features then maybe people would help test it.

Maybe if OpenCS let you save files, that'd be different. Last time I tried it, it didn't.

One thing the OpenMW/CS crew needs to do is quit burying the loving lede in their announcements "OpenMW .47 released we fixed floating plates in Balmora (3 paragraphs more) also we fixed distant lands." and poo poo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kazr posted:

Anyone that is doubting OpenMW needs to go play tes3mp with a buddy cuz holy poo poo it's incredible

if you think i'm doubting openmw you're misunderstanding my point

MWSE is getting a 0.1 overhaul to increase its performance by an order of magnitude, meanwhile openmw doesn't support a single mwse function

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Maybe if OpenCS let you save files, that'd be different. Last time I tried it, it didn't.

One thing the OpenMW/CS crew needs to do is quit burying the loving lede in their announcements "OpenMW .47 released we fixed floating plates in Balmora (3 paragraphs more) also we fixed distant lands." and poo poo.

Yeah, its not even an issue of needing testers for OpenCS, its that there's like 1 guy actively working on it atm, and its only recently that he started--for a while nobody was working on it. Camera controls aren't done/being reworked and terrain editing hasn't even been implemented. True, they got a lot of new interest and developers wanting to help after that TES3MP video, but they're mostly working on the main engine. Speaking of which, there ought to be a new release after the holidays, in January some time.

e: I gotta agree with Meyers, tho. I completely understand why they're doing it how they are, but at the same time, there's already some differences between OpenMW and vanilla MW (I believe attributes/stats are calculated differently) and adding some MWSE functions aren't that drastic of changes to include, even before the de-hard coding.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 21, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As long as the MWSE/MGE/MCP stuff is postponed to 1.1, it's okay. It's normal to prioritize a vanilla baseline and only bother about extending it after you've reached that point. I've seen what happens when people prioritize cool expansions and feature creep before all else (:rip: XL engine).

But if they end up deciding not to be compatible with MWSE/MGE mods once they reach 1.0, then :nallears:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

As long as the MWSE/MGE/MCP stuff is postponed to 1.1, it's okay. It's normal to prioritize a vanilla baseline and only bother about extending it after you've reached that point. I've seen what happens when people prioritize cool expansions and feature creep before all else (:rip: XL engine).

But if they end up deciding not to be compatible with MWSE/MGE mods once they reach 1.0, then :nallears:

they've already said numerous times they aren't going to be MWSE/MGE compatible. All MWSE and MGE functions will have different names and will require complete rewrites of the mods to get them to work

:ccp:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MWSE is a glorified trainer, the whole point of OpenMW is to avoid the need for memory injection hacks.

MGE also has little relevance considering that it's an entirely different engine and most of what it hacks in can be done much more cleanly when you have access to source code.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SwissCM posted:

MWSE is a glorified trainer, the whole point of OpenMW is to avoid the need for memory injection hacks.

MGE also has little relevance considering that it's an entirely different engine and most of what it hacks in can be done much more cleanly when you have access to source code.

yes but this is a fifteen year old game, mwse has been used by a wide variety of mods, and nobody is going to port every mod that used mwse scripting to a new openmw equivalent. nor should they have to when openmw could be coded to accept mwse script inputs and produce equivalent results, maybe through a much cleaner process since it would be the engine itself doing so

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SwissCM posted:

completely agree on all accounts, now make openmw actually add some of the functions.

MWSE mods aren't going to stop being made. Some of them are pretty god drat amazing https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45229

all delaying it does is waste everyones time when it inevitably needs to get ported.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Why walk when you can ride?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We make a special trip for you, same low price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://streamable.com/lfrq5