Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This was a really boring movie that made the main threat even less of a threat with cringey lines and “comedy”. What a shame. Prequels were genuinely more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The prequels subverted our expectations of star wars films.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...e/#6023a19b18d8

quote:

To begin to appreciate the epic nature of the Last Jedi catastrophe, consider the 9.2 magnitude megathrust 1964 Good Friday earthquake near Anchorage, Alaska. That was such a massive catastrophe that it killed Oregonians and Californians more than 1,000 miles away.

lol this guy owns

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So to understand how big of a problem the sequels were you have to understand context. Context was key.

Now you may be different from me but I was born in 1989 and didn't exactly live in a "Big City."

But by the age of 5 I already knew that Star Wars were big important movies and had seen them multiple times by the age of 6. For reference the first film I can remember seeing in theaters was The Lion King followed by the re-releases of Star Wars and The Lost World.

Star Wars was a cultural phenomenon to the point that even in po-dunk nowhere the re-releases sold out.

It was estimated 22 million people took off work to see The Return of the Jedi at release. I don't think there was a film series that has had that kind of response again in our history and I doubt we will ever see one again. This was like the finale of MASH.

When the prequels started production there was a non-stop birrage of media coverage and hype. I remember my best friend's mother specifically stalking out to find tickets and pulling us out of school so we could go see a screening on the Friday of the Phantom Menace's release. Millions of people missed work just like in 1983 with ROJ.

The Phantom Menace came out at the tail end of the Clinton Presidency - after a 10 year period of economic growth and stability of which the US had not seen in a good long while. The national conscious was very different from the past.

Even at the age of 10 after having seen the film once I knew it was not very good. And this was the general consensus for fans and non-fans alike. The amount of hype for this film was like no other of the time. I have not personally experienced anything like it again in my life. The film felt like a movie designed to appeal to children in a lot of ways even to me at the age of 10. It lacked a lot of set action pieces that people were accustomed to and most importantly it's storyline was confusing, felt sluggish, slow and boring, and seemed to have no payoff.

The original trilogy has a very natural flow to the events. Things happen for clearcut reasons. When our hero has to travel to a strange planet in the middle of nowhere there's a clear why behind all of it. The story and it's events are tied together in a very compact structure.

The Phantom Menace felt like the opposite. It felt contrived. Too many cheap coincidences and no story structure. We see planets and aliens that have no back-story and thus must be built up from scratch - despite featuring a variety of perfectly usable alien races in The Original Series that would of needed no introduction. You've got wookies, sand people, Hutts, Twi'leks, Rodians, Ewoks, Mon Calamari, Sullustrans, Gammorans, Ithorians, Bith, Duros, Aqualish, to name a few. And out of all those they not only had to go and create a new one to focus the film on but also do it poorly?

Obi-Wan and Qui Gon Jin just happen to have their Drive Go out that just Happens to land them on Tatooinie that just happens to lead them to Anakin? This is a storyline that really has nothing to do with the central plot of the film. It certainly isn't very natural and doesn't make a whole ton of sense. Instead of featuring a conflict on Tatooine itself we get pulled to it by pure plot-power.

And these are arguements and problems you will see throughout the prequel. They don't feel like Star Wars. They don't flow naturally. They don't seem to involve the same universe as the original series. They don't flow at all.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Is that the IMDB screed because wowee that is something

I'm especially fond of

quote:

It lacked a lot of set action pieces that people were accustomed to

in light of Podracing, a space battle, a pitched field battle and the only lightsaber fight from the prequels that people who don't like the movies like

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If we're going with the idea that Anakin was a virgin birth and his father was literally the Force, I don't see much of an issue with accepting the crash landing on Tatooine being part of that whole deal. The will of the Force and all that.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

fridge corn posted:

the galaxy is a very different place at the time of the prequels, in fact it's what lies at the very heart of the films

I knew this was going to be an objection. I would be fine with this is the difference between the earlier time and the later time was interesting, but the world of the prequels is a boring place. It feels antiseptic. It's just not a fun world to have an adventure movie in. If anything, it needs to be more sumptuous, more splendid, with more texture.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What a coincidence that things in a prequel happened in such a way that it makes possible the events of the following films!

Yeah, that's a real fuckin' head-scratcher, it is.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize the prequels, but "I find the plot unlikely" is really reaching.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is that the IMDB screed because wowee that is something

Can't be me, I was 15 when it came out.

Obviously my memories from 1999 aren't perfect but I can't remember a single high school friend liking it or feeling passionate about it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why do people think their impression of a movie as a ten year old matters?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Which movie is better and why, Attack of the Clones or the Phantom Menace?

I wish we had a goon poll/power rankings of all the movies in the series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Phantom Menace is better. It looks better, the story is more streamlined, and it has the 2nd best lightsaber fight in the entire series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like Liam Neeson but I don’t like many of the words they have him say or the order they put them in when they wrote it.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Phanton Menace is better but it's still a horrible star wars film.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Phantom Menace. Looks better, more action, better action, less bad acting, more hilarious racist caricatures.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I really like the quick fight between Qui-Gon and Darth Maul on Tatooine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJnoL4KR8g&t=67s

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ewan MacGregor is hotter in Clones

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Spacebump posted:

I don't need a poll to tell you that it's going to be OT > everything else > PT dominating.

The Phantom Menace is the better movie, because it is more self-contained. Attack of the Clones is the more interesting movie, because the gears of the Jedi and the Republic are visibly grinding toward their downfall. Only the fact that it requires four other movies for maximum enjoyment makes it worse than TPM.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spacebump posted:

Judged only as individual films, I'd rate Phantom Menace higher.
As parts of a greater story, Attack of the Clones.

TheNewt posted:

Phanton Menace is better but it's still a horrible star wars film.

This is curiously specific.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

This is a good fight.

TELTHEMTOTAKOFF!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Why were they running to the ship before Maul even showed up?

(I think I once heard there was a deleted scene that explained it.)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CountFosco posted:

I knew this was going to be an objection. I would be fine with this is the difference between the earlier time and the later time was interesting, but the world of the prequels is a boring place. It feels antiseptic. It's just not a fun world to have an adventure movie in. If anything, it needs to be more sumptuous, more splendid, with more texture.

The whole point of star wars is the dirty, well-worn, lived-in quality of the galaxy. It's a rough place with problems and inequality and slavery and trade tariffs and all that stuff is intrinsically star wars and its in the prequels. If anything the prequels do focus on the more sumptuous more splendid areas of the galaxy such as naboo and coruscant. I don't understand what your actual complaint is

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Powered Descent posted:

Why were they running to the ship before Maul even showed up?

(I think I once heard there was a deleted scene that explained it.)

In a deleted scene the probe droid that Maul is using, and which zooms by in several shots during the Tatooine arc, actually catches up to Qui-Gon while he’s picking up Anakin.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Watching the Ben + Qui Gon and Maul fight I have to say I'm impressed at the zeal and choreography Ewan brings after Qui Gon gets killed. Liam feels almost zen like when attacking Maul but poo poo goes intense when Ben comes in solo.

EDIT: Also the video is dated so it's not good quality but I'm pretty sure Maul's kick to Ben's face misses almost as bad as Luke's when rescuing Han and Leia from Jabba.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 28, 2017

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Gatts posted:

Watching the Ben + Qui Gon and Maul fight I have to say I'm impressed at the zeal and choreography Ewan brings after Qui Gon gets killed. Liam feels almost zen like when attacking Maul but poo poo goes intense when Ben comes in solo.

EDIT: Also the video is dated so it's not good quality but I'm pretty sure Maul's kick to Ben's face misses almost as bad as Luke's when rescuing Han and Leia from Jabba.

It does, yeah.

But yeah one of my favourite small things is the way Ewan jacks himself up before that shield comes down. And how Darth Maul doesn't give a single gently caress about killing Qui Gon, he stabs him and immediately turns around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKlLMRuOx10

2m47s

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 28, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Phantom Menace is a very well-put-together piece of cinema based on a highly audacious piece of dramatic irony, which is to say, the villain wins and none of the heroes realize it.

Attack of the Clones has a bigger idea - this is the story of how the Republic became the Empire - but it is a bit overfull, and it chooses not to telegraph to the audience whether they should consider the characters right or wrong, which naturally resulted in mixed feelings. Not to mention the action scene in the droid foundry, while exciting, is probably the most pointless scene in any Star War; its only rival is the stuff with the rathtars in The Force Awakens.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Attack of the Clones has a whole lot of really beautiful shots. One small one that I particularly like is the moment when the Republic gunships lift up out of the arena. Your view swings up from below to above the gunship, and you see that this is not just a rescue—there is an entire ground invasion going on outside. The gunship rotates its missiles into the launch tubes with a click to punctuate the shot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That conveyor belt scene is junk because apparently they told the actors to pantomime whatever they wanted for a bunch of takes and the effects people would come up with something to match it. That’s like something out of experimental film, but lazy instead of interesting.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

business hammocks posted:

That conveyor belt scene is junk because apparently they told the actors to pantomime whatever they wanted for a bunch of takes and the effects people would come up with something to match it. That’s like something out of experimental film, but lazy instead of interesting.

It was like watching a terrible high budget version of the games kids would play on Nick Arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSCFlafbXBs&t=26s

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

every prequel movie is orders of magnitude better than TLJ. especially TPM

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Detective Obi-Wan stuff in AOTC but Anakin and Padme's stuff on Naboo is pretty tedious.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
In a series of movies that heavily features dicks and vaginas AotC reigns supreme.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the Detective Obi-Wan stuff in AOTC but Anakin and Padme's stuff on Naboo is pretty tedious.

I think it's pretty great. We get a slow verbal, visual and costume reveal that Padme falls in love with and then wants to gently caress a fascist who would worship at her feet and protect her throne.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Okay okay peep this.

Rogue: Cate Blanchett
Jedi Gay Bestie: Hugh Jackman
Droid: Robo Gina Carano
Sith Apprentice: Chris Hemsworth
Mother Weapons Trader: Helen Mirren
Sith Lord: Tyler Perry as Darth Plaugeis the Wise

Setting: Old Republic

Director: Michael Bay
Cinematography: Roger Deakins
Music: John Williams and Alan Menken
Written by: Shane Black and Eric Roth

When a Rogue sees what she likes, no Force will stop her from getting her prize...even if its a man. A Romeo and Juliet romance set on the backdrop of the biggest war between dark and light.

I seriously want a galaxy spanning epic sci fi romance. that's stealth origin of Sidious

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 29, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

I think it's pretty great. We get a slow verbal, visual and costume reveal that Padme falls in love with and then wants to gently caress a fascist who would worship at her feet and protect her throne.

All of the Naboob scenes have great visuals. I think some movie viewers just really don't like to talk about sand.

Edit: they also looks like 2 hour extended cutscenes from a Sega 32x game

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

UmOk posted:

In a series of movies that heavily features dicks and vaginas AotC reigns supreme.

I feel extremely gross even trying this out, but when Episode II was put out on video, did they digitally add piping and seams to Natalie Portman’s shirt to obscure her nipples? I swear those elements weren’t there in the theater, but I was a stupid child and may be a stupid adult as well.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

I'll get this one for you: They were bad.

Don't do this to me, Tea, you're going down a path I can't follow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

Sure, I don't disagree that's what it's there for, I just thought it was a bit boring. :shrug:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I do sort of wish Padmé and Anakin had more to actually do with each other during AOTC. They don’t really share an action scene until the arena, which is after they’ve professed their love to each other. I suspect the factory scene was meant to take this spot, but even there they get split up almost immediately and don’t really interact much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Am I the only person ever to get really annoyed they didn't even put a wind machine on the speeder so they're going like 200 mph with exposed helicopter like sides and nobody's hair is even blowing? For me that admittedly minor detail sums up why the whole battle looks like CGI masturbation with no care to the details beyond that. A small detail that literally personifies why the effects suck for me.

You're either visually impaired of full of poo poo. Anakin gets on the speeder and his cape immediately starts flowing with the speed. Anakin has short hair so it's not going to move much, but his hair tassle thing is flowing too.
https://youtu.be/QeqEvT0UNnE
Skip to :51.