Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Mr. Nice! posted:

the building is mixed use with a single owner. the retail spots on bottom are vacant but all of the residential spots up top are not.

that gives you income from the residential units, and no income from the vacant units, with deductions based on depreciation and maintenance/utilities for each. where is the vacant unit tax deduction, and how is that economically preferable to making money from the unit. tax is a rarely the biggest motivator.

any of my real estate clients would vastly prefer to have $65 after tax from $100 of rental real estate income than $0 from $0 of rental real estate income. institutional investors that own multi family mixed use properties want IRR/cash flow and they want it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

most buildings downtown here have their retail stuff on the second floor, because it's the skyway level. if there is something on the ground level, it's usually restaurants.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

cool startup feel posted:

What? How does a vacant rental generate cash? Can you give an example of why it would be beneficial to have a rental property without a tenant?

I'm way over my head talking about taxes, but it's my understanding that you can borrow against equity, do exchanges in kind to defer taxation, all while claiming depreciation losses. So it's double dipping or dodging capital gains that's difficult to do while maintaining a tenant. I'll defer to your knowledge though if that's insane as I'd rather not know anyway :D

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tenants = risk

they also mean remodeling if the space isn't up to code and a lot of vacant retail is that way because the owner wants someone to buy it and do a teardown

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Street level retail and dining is pretty standard on most high rises I've seen here or in Chicago or NYC though?

That's the key. Most. There's plenty of buildings that don't bother to have any and are strictly single purpose. It's hardly harmful to not have it.

Especially because there will often be something right nearby that's wholly given over to the retail eg most of the new Wtc site is dedicated offices because there's also a big ol underground mall facility that's not part of any one building

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i will never stop refuting the notion that i've chosen the wrong hill to die on. this is technically a slope

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
in other news I got hit by a car today; I’m sure if it had been self driving this would have been prevented or it would have thought I was a speed limit sign and accelerated

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
"Siri, now back over that man to make sure he's dead"

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
First response probably should have been sorry you got hit by a car- so about that, sucks that you got hit by a car. Were you doing something stupid like biking in a bike lane or attempting to cross a road that had no raised walkway?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

TimWinter posted:

"Siri, now back over that man to make sure he's dead"

feature comes standard in chinese models along w/ the hepa cabin air filtration and continuous honking mode

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

That's the key. Most. There's plenty of buildings that don't bother to have any and are strictly single purpose. It's hardly harmful to not have it.

Especially because there will often be something right nearby that's wholly given over to the retail eg most of the new Wtc site is dedicated offices because there's also a big ol underground mall facility that's not part of any one building

office buildings without ground floor retail contribute to dead streets without pedestrians. no one wants to live near an office building that offers nothing for its neighbors. thats how you end up with dead cbds and inner cities where no one wants to be.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

office buildings without ground floor retail contribute to dead streets without pedestrians. no one wants to live near an office building that offers nothing for its neighbors. thats how you end up with dead cbds and inner cities where no one wants to be.

You're talking about your garbage suburb. This isn't true in actual cities.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also the very idea that everyone should want to live next to every other building, lol

Transit exists for a reason dumbass. You shouldn't care that someone doesn't want to live next to 9/11

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

bullshit

CBDs with limited retail are terrifying at night. no one wants to live there so they are totally deserted, except for you and your soon-to-be mugger

just off the top of my head, new york city's financial district or certain patches of the chicago loop or hell most of downtown dc fit this description.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

Also the very idea that everyone should want to live next to every other building, lol

Transit exists for a reason dumbass. You shouldn't care that someone doesn't want to live next to 9/11

it's a problem at night. it's really just not-great city design to have large swathes of land with no 24/7 usage

lots of dull places during the day are hazardous and frightening at night, and that's generally a Bad Thing

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

the mild degree of escalation alone is enough to disqualify this thing as a hill, and furthermore

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
saw an uber self-driving car in Scottsdale AZ over the holidays

there was someone driving it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bullshit

CBDs with limited retail are terrifying at night. no one wants to live there so they are totally deserted, except for you and your soon-to-be mugger

just off the top of my head, new york city's financial district or certain patches of the chicago loop or hell most of downtown dc fit this description.

You're a moron if you think "there isn't retail in literally every building" is "limited retail" lmao

Also glad to hear you're terrified of nyc at night like some sort of Iowan moron. Get therapy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a problem at night. it's really just not-great city design to have large swathes of land with no 24/7 usage

lots of dull places during the day are hazardous and frightening at night, and that's generally a Bad Thing

What part of a skyscraper residence isn't 24/7 usage lol

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

#notallhills

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

TimWinter posted:

First response probably should have been sorry you got hit by a car- so about that, sucks that you got hit by a car. Were you doing something stupid like biking in a bike lane or attempting to cross a road that had no raised walkway?

the second one; I was crossing a street with a stop sign and had the foolish expectation that being partway through the crosswalk would reinforce not just rolling through the stop while not paying any real attention

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

the second one; I was crossing a street with a stop sign and had the foolish expectation that being partway through the crosswalk would reinforce not just rolling through the stop while not paying any real attention

never trust anyone in a car, ever they are all sociopathic shaggars who are on their phone and yelling at their kids and trying to drink coffee at the same time

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

never trust anyone in a car, ever they are all sociopathic shaggars who are on their phone and yelling at their kids and trying to drink coffee at the same time

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the last 10 pages itt, as read by acclaimed actor al pacino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXtISrMwVc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in actual tech bubble news the uber/softbank deal appears to have gone through, sadly a bunch of people have now made money off of uber

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

Also glad to hear you're terrified of nyc at night like some sort of Iowan moron. Get therapy

i live in nyc, jackass.

you're a fool to go places that have no people at night. enjoy being mugged, i guess?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how did i miss this xmas miracle

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/944796704733323264

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i live in nyc, jackass.

you're a fool to go places that have no people at night. enjoy being mugged, i guess?

ah, but if there are no people, then who is mugging you? hmm??

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Elder Postsman posted:

something less than human

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
a chud, if you will

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Elder Postsman posted:

mugging by autonomous drone. disrupting the armed robbery industry

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

what the gently caress why how aaaaaaaggggggggg :psyduck:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I’m bi prime

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

fishmech posted:

lol this is wrong as hell

old school central business/financial districts that lack evening and night activity (read: are composed entirely of offices with little to no retail/restaurant/residential units mixed in) are lovely in every city I've visited or read about that has one, and even if it doesn't always mean they're dangerous it sucks and represents a lot of wasted economic and civic/social potential

unrelatedly...

qirex posted:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SO DEMANDING posted:

what the gently caress why how aaaaaaaggggggggg :psyduck:

✅ White
✅ Rich
✅ Connected

It's a literal and metaphorical "Get out of Jail Free" card.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nepotism is a hell of a drug

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"pivoting" aka moneyed people have invested into this corporation and by god they're going to get a return, even if we have to turn this social media for hats company into an alibaba redistributor

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

looooooool

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol actual medtech vc's gave dfj so much loving poo poo over this poo poo tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i saw this last week. these softbank clowns really have a load burning a hole in their pocket eh? though that ridiculous powerpoint from few months ago made that clear now i think on it

• Locked thread