Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/943647325586579456
Couldn’t resist at this price. This is literally the first DVD/Blu-ray I’ve purchased in over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*buys blu-ray set*

*buys blu-ray player*

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I just bought it on Amazon. gently caress. Oh well.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Blu Ray is so much more crisp than the show time stream

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yeah. I didn't know when I'd have the money to buy the Blu-Ray at its regular price, but I literally just got $50 as a Christmas present from some relatives in the mail today, so that worked out perfectly :swoon: $32.09 after tax for me.

moist turtleneck posted:

The Blu Ray is so much more crisp than the show time stream
This is suuuuuuuuch good news to hear, omg. I can't wait to see it for myself!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The blu-ray is really really goddamn gorgeous. Great presentation. Also I’m pretty sure this show convinced me that I personally prefer the look of high-end digital to most types of film.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There aren't a lot of things where I feel like a DVD just won't do and I need the blu-ray. Fury Road was one, Blade Runner was one, and this most definitely is one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My Lovely Horse posted:

There aren't a lot of things where I feel like a DVD just won't do and I need the blu-ray. Fury Road was one, Blade Runner was one, and this most definitely is one.
Wait people are still buying DVDs in 2017?

The Blu-Ray format is over a decade old at this point :confused:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

People are under a lot of stress.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I mean there's also two more hours of bonus features on the Blu-ray

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is true. While I think the regular BTS stuff that’s on both copies is better, it’s definitely worth getting the blu just for Richard Beymer’s red room docs.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I had to buy my mother the DVD set of Stranger Things because she "doesn't want to learn something new" if I bought her a BluRay. She's 72 though so I didn't push. :)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

disregard

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i got a awesome and cool RR2GO! coffee cup for xmas and i can now put soup in it and stare into a window thinking about a life full of regret and seeing my reflection that doesn't match up and then spend 3 weeks arguing online whether it was intentional or an editing mistake.

i got a lot of twin peaks stuff this xmas because i wouldnt shut up about it. i hope you all get cool twin peaks stuff this year, friends.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got a Great Northern room 315 keyring for my birthday in July but the design faded off within weeks :(

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Had a chance to go to the Roadhouse pop up bar in LA last weekend. It was cool, but we had reservations at 9:30 and weren't let in til at least 10:30. They let us stay in til they pretty much closed at least. The entrance was the service entrance to another bar, and the hallways leading to the back room they had the Roadhouse set up were lined with red curtains and the floor painted zig zaggy like the black lodge. I ended up ordering a Fire Walk With Me (spicy tequila cocktail with a flaming sugar cube on top) and my girlfriend ordered a Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya (Baileys blended with a bunch of pie ingredients) and we ended up sharing a slice of cherry pie ala mode. Pretty dope experience, wish I would've taken more pictures.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Data Graham posted:

*buys blu-ray set*

*buys blu-ray player*

I'm praying it's in the bag of stuff my gf got me for Xmas or else I'm ordering it on Christmas Day 😎

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bown/status/945292350724689920

Thanks to whoever originally posted about these in this thread!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
They didn’t make them in a 14 :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t wait for the eventual thinkpiece on how Last Jedi and The Return arguably have very similar themes in some ways ”gently caress your nostalgia”, basically

Semi spoilers ahead I guess but not really.

I’m still amazed at how well that theme was handled. It was like someone you trust holding your hand walking you into deeper and deeper terror. By the end you’re in shock but realize you had the best person possible along with you. It wasn’t some cocky rear end in a top hat Lynch trick of HEY gently caress YOU FANS, it was completely in story and theme. It’s just in the case of Frost the desire to actually go places in the plot overrode the desire to tiptoe around fan service and give everyone their nice little cherry pie. We were given the fun cute things but taken to where the story was always going in the first place. Our memory and nostalgia was faced with reality. We went deeper just like we wanted to do in the original seasons. I suppose we didn’t realize what those depths really were.

Thinking about The Return still gives me a weird good feeling. I can’t wait to rewatch it. Not gonna pretend like I’m not a Lynch fanboy but god drat there’s nothing like it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

https://twitter.com/bown/status/945292350724689920

Thanks to whoever originally posted about these in this thread!
I've been wearing mine since November :D

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Got the Return blu-ray set for Christmas. Am planning two re-watches in the near future, the first to just soak it all in, and the second to take notes and finally sort out what it all means for me. (Sorry if that's not coherent - I'm zonked on migraine meds)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Peacoffee posted:

It’s also another entry in the sequences relating to “it’s a world...of truck drivers”. maybe even near the climax of those vignettes.

Its prob a little foolish to try to find a straight ahead answer, but those truck driver vignettes referring to ppl we dont see...was that all Audreys dream?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Its prob a little foolish to try to find a straight ahead answer, but those truck driver vignettes referring to ppl we dont see...was that all Audreys dream?

maybe the whole fuckin thing was audreys dream, man

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Reposting this soundtrack to the first half of the season, happy festivus y'all.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4rXGRwsnAvt5Axa7VZClkP

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my Blu-Ray set today. I haven't even taken it out of the packaging yet, but I can't wait to watch the...6 hours of special features?! Oh baby :eyepop:

e: This packaging is loving great by the way. I feel like it'll take me forever to get through all the material jammed in this set.
https://twitter.com/GreatDestroyer_/status/945819945430118401
https://twitter.com/GreatDestroyer_/status/945946618616057856
https://twitter.com/GreatDestroyer_/status/945947561050951688

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 27, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The behind the scenes footage of Lynch getting frustrated at various things is gold.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got Fire Walk With Me today and the blurb on the back of the case ends with something like “but even Dale Cooper can't crack the case.“ Understatement of the decade.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

My Lovely Horse posted:

Got Fire Walk With Me today and the blurb on the back of the case ends with something like “but even Dale Cooper can't crack the case.“ Understatement of the decade.

Most agents would just end up with a cold, unsolved case. Dale Cooper couldn’t crack it so hard he somehow got himself stuck in a different universe. Twice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HD DAD posted:

Most agents would just end up with a cold, unsolved case. Dale Cooper couldn’t crack it so hard he somehow got himself stuck in a different universe. Twice.
Yeah if I've learned anything from Twin Peaks, it's that at least I'm not as bad at my job as Dale Cooper is at his.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

Yeah if I've learned anything from Twin Peaks, it's that at least I'm not as bad at my job as Dale Cooper is at his.

What are you people talking about? He caught the culprit, defeated his culprit's murderous spirit, and undid the murder. If anything, he's way too thorough.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s really funny to see Lynch smear putty all over Dern’s face and stuff his finger in her mouth for what is honestly maybe the worst-looking effects shot in the whole thing (Diane tulpa disappearing)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And More posted:

What are you people talking about? He caught the culprit, defeated his culprit's murderous spirit, and undid the murder. If anything, he's way too thorough.

He's a hero who succeeds. And heroes make sacrifices others don't.

Coop's just in another pickle.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s really funny to see Lynch smear putty all over Dern’s face and stuff his finger in her mouth for what is honestly maybe the worst-looking effects shot in the whole thing (Diane tulpa disappearing)

that's not how you spell "best" my man

for real the worst effect is probably the dude from mulholland drive getting shot in the face

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

The behind the scenes footage of Lynch getting frustrated at various things is gold.

Honestly, some of it made me kinda uncomfortable. Him cursing and yelling at people isn't exactly him at his most likable. It was interesting though, to see him lash out at someone suggesting they might want to shoot more coverage for a scene so they'd have the option to cut it down lengthwise in editing. It was clear they'd had the conversation before and he was not at all concerned with how long scenes were AT ALL.

There are some hilarious moments in that BTS stuff though, like Lynch with his head in his hands, asking, "Can there be three detective brothers rather than two? I want to hire that big guy with that laugh," and going on to calling the character an idiot savant. It made me laugh a lot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

romanowski posted:

for real the worst effect is probably the dude from mulholland drive getting shot in the face

oh yeah I forgot about that, ok that’s the worst

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just got back from Star Wars and all I could think of during that one scene was "gently caress you, Star Destroyers."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She basically warped out exactly the same way she did in TP too

beginning to think that wasn't an effect at all, it's just how Laura Dern leaves the room

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Data Graham posted:

She basically warped out exactly the same way she did in TP too

beginning to think that wasn't an effect at all, it's just how Laura Dern leaves the room

I love this so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

When Ray shoots Mr. C, is it the same pattern as when Josie shot Cooper?