Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

jBrereton posted:

- Lotus Orb normally. Always useful armour at least.

Yeah I was going to say farming a lotus orb is one of the best ways to contribute late as SB (usually). If you've done well early than at some point one of yours cores will be out in front pushing - when that core gets initiated on you can both save the core and counter initiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Solar crest and atos and both great, too.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Getting a bkb is my goal as Spiritbreaker if the game goes late. You can ult and bash through magic immunity, so if you have a bkb you can just run at the enemy carry or mid and keep them from doing anything useful during teamfights (assuming they aren't farmed enough to manfight you with bkb on, in which case good loving luck winning the game). Then you just hope that you disrupting the enemys strongest hero is enough fro your braindead team to win a fight for once

then maybe halberd, seems p. nice on Barathrum

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i like the aghanims on him. my dream game build on that hero is midas octarine aghs blink

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The stacker is pretty good and an amazing value.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
also meteor hammer is good on every hero who doesnt hit buildings real good im convinced

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I miss when aghs gave imba SB a global range ult

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

how do you turn the difficulty up on this game? it isn't in the settings

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

it seems to be stuck on 'very easy'. i have put in a support ticket for this

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Have you tried speedrunning dota? It was beginning to lose its luster for me too (on account of it being very easy), but joining the any% anyendings speedrun community has given the game new life for me.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Pudge is really popular in the speedrun community for his ability to hook enemy carries into his towers, enabling faster lane clears and a quick gold advantage

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Have you tried speedrunning dota? It was beginning to lose its luster for me too (on account of it being very easy), but joining the any% anyendings speedrun community has given the game new life for me.

here's my current PB (personal best for those not in the 'know')

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Shadow Shaman is probably the best speedrunner at the moment - with the right builds and a bit of luck, you can get the enemy T3s down in under 5 minutes on Turbo mode.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ah, gotta appreciate a good TAS.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

but how many a presses did you use?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Went 4-0 yesterday. Going for that sweet :five: tonight.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

RisqueBarber posted:

Went 4-0 yesterday. Going for that sweet :five: tonight.

Pshhhh didn't BBG win 696969 games in a row in omega skill tier?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Imagine taking the time to actually get very good at this stupid game

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

dr.acula posted:

I am naturally talented it took no time at all.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Super Rad posted:

Pshhhh didn't BBG win 696969 games in a row in omega skill tier?

I won 471 games in a row. Yes.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

dr.acula posted:

Does "very good" in this case mean winning 2mil at TI? Or does it mean being 5k once and then complaining endlessly about how EE is trash because he was in your game once and how queuing is now "politically correct" and therefore ruined?

Really affects the hypothetical.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I haven’t played this game in over a year so really I am the only one who is winning.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
You still post about it, so no.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dr.acula posted:

Luckily I did not need to take time out of my very successful social life as Dota is both simple to pick up and, some (I) would say, very easy.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Super Rad posted:

Does "very good" in this case mean winning 2mil at TI? Or does it mean being 5k once and then complaining endlessly about how EE is trash because he was in your game once and how queuing is now "politically correct" and therefore ruined?

Really affects the hypothetical.

Yes.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

i enjoy playing this chill game with my friends, even though we always lose :unsmith:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's fun to run post-game chat through Google translate sometimes. "No offense to people with autism but I don't want to play with them." Well said peruvian Huskar.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's fun to run post-game chat through Google translate sometimes. "No offense to people with autism but I don't want to play with them." Well said peruvian Huskar.

Please, use the politically correct term, Slaves of the Spectrum

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

turboraton posted:

Oi Risque, Minorkos, how up are you on the rankings? I could use some friendly goon challenge to up my ranking and be there with the -*°Goon Elite 420°*-

I'm at Divine 1 at the moment. I managed to lose like 700 MMR before the calibrations and I've been trying to undo the damage ever since.

Sadly the game just isn't very fun for me in this patch. It seems like offlane is thoroughly hosed now. It's not even "hard" in the sense that it's challenging, it's just a lane you simply sometimes lose against certain heroes, and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm basically unable to play anything but Clockwerk since he's more or less the only hero that can deal with zoning and still have an impact on the lane. I mean I can pick something like Doom or Pangolier and still usually do somewhat okay on my lane, but every now and then, the enemy supports zone me entirely and the game just becomes a loving nightmare where I'm using one hand to try to evade the enemy supports hounding me wherever I go and my other hand to write explanations to my team why I'm still level 1. I'm actually getting a ton of reports for "feeding" or "being useless" just for playing my role to the best of my ability since most people don't understand how loving horrible suicide laning can be now.

I don't know why Valve opted to make offlane like this. It's just objectively speaking less interesting and less challenging to play now. I lost interest in the patch about 2 weeks ago.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Champs? Oh my sweet summer child.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Taiso posted:

Champs? Oh my sweet summer child.
It's a legitimate part of the mobargot.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Minorkos posted:

I'm at Divine 1 at the moment. I managed to lose like 700 MMR before the calibrations and I've been trying to undo the damage ever since.

Sadly the game just isn't very fun for me in this patch. It seems like offlane is thoroughly hosed now. It's not even "hard" in the sense that it's challenging, it's just a lane you simply sometimes lose against certain heroes, and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm basically unable to play anything but Clockwerk since he's more or less the only hero that can deal with zoning and still have an impact on the lane. I mean I can pick something like Doom or Pangolier and still usually do somewhat okay on my lane, but every now and then, the enemy supports zone me entirely and the game just becomes a loving nightmare where I'm using one hand to try to evade the enemy supports hounding me wherever I go and my other hand to write explanations to my team why I'm still level 1. I'm actually getting a ton of reports for "feeding" or "being useless" just for playing my role to the best of my ability since most people don't understand how loving horrible suicide laning can be now.

I don't know why Valve opted to make offlane like this. It's just objectively speaking less interesting and less challenging to play now. I lost interest in the patch about 2 weeks ago.

The good news that as your mmr gets lower most games will either have one or zero supports, so you can go back to picking whatever. When life closes a door God opens a window.

I usually play offlane or support and sort of like that it is harder there now since it seems like less of the solo queue people try to solo offlane dumb bullshit like Sniper there these days. I think it is good that heroes like Tide or Clock have more of a defined role in a lane now instead of just being a roaming guy or an afk iron talon jungler.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The good news that as your mmr gets lower most games will either have one or zero supports, so you can go back to picking whatever. When life closes a door God opens a window.

Actually a little untrue, 3k and 4k players can be even more adamant about making offlaning impossible since they don't really understand the importance of rotating. I basically have to play mid whenever I play with my friends, otherwise I'm going to be useless as an offlaner. Not that it even matters since I'm gaining MMR anyway. It just isn't fun since you're forced to play specific, very safe offlaning heroes instead of ballsy aggressive offlaners like in the past. I suppose if you have a good player to duo offlane with, it's not as boring but good luck with that in pubs.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Ah, gotta appreciate a good TAS.

i was probed for a long time but know I lolled at this

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Its hard to play in this meta unless you enjoy shadow fiend, medusa, or doom. Seems like mid game heroes are just trash now.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
The ambi meta

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I just spam pick Puck as my go to offlane hero these days. If you can hang on until level 3, which is usually when the lane supports give up trying to kill you and start roaming, you can start getting back into the game to get your veil/bottle and then spam the carry to death with bounty runes. I usually don't even get blink until after veil/travels/euls since your job as an offlane puck is to just put immense pressure on their lanes rather than be your team's initiation. You do much better as a delayed TP counter initiator where you can mop up fleeing heroes and you don't really need a blink to do that.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

this morphling bug was hilarious

https://streamable.com/1i8xf

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What happened to loving Slardar, he loving sucks now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

What happened to loving Slardar, he loving sucks now
He learned to run very very fast down the river but many of his useful early items aren't in the game now.