Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

the whole laser battering ram thing shouldnt have even been in the movie imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Turdfuzz posted:

just traveled across galaxies but let me go ahead and drag this huge gently caress off cannon

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The ultimate attack that required losing a whole ship and killed none of the 8 characters hanging out on various parts of the rammed ship.

One cruiser to take out a whole fleet of star destroyers as well as disable the giant B2 bomber is a kill-ratio any military leader would cream themselves over. We know they have droid ships and can put a hyperdrive on any small fighter. Scaling down you could smack any big ship with 1-2 droid kamikazes per target. Hux even realized Holdo was ramming and couldn't do anything to stop it with all his guns and tractor beams.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The ultimate attack that required losing a whole ship and killed none of the 8 characters hanging out on various parts of the rammed ship.
ok but that ship was loving enormous, way way bigger than the ship they rammed it with, and it killed a whole loving lot of other people to do that. they just weren't named characters in the story because they're not gonna kill them off like that. and she did it from outside their effective range

like that's much loving better result than the bombers earlier in the film.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can't sacrifice people to murder more people it's hosed. Even if those people are droids.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Token black Star Wars character should have died to save his mostly white friends. You read it here first, Internet.

maybe there should've been a scene where he plays space basketball against the empire and wins! hooray!

Brother Entropy posted:

what anime are you ripping off here

all of them

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

galagazombie posted:

One cruiser to take out a whole fleet of star destroyers as well as disable the giant B2 bomber is a kill-ratio any military leader would cream themselves over.

The death star I and death star II were destroyed by single person ships. The droid satellite base thing was destroyed by a 9 year old. The star killer was taken down by a team of 3 people.

Star wars isn't really a universe where big ships are only taken out by big armies, the norm is basically "giant ships have massive firepower but can be taken out by any passing ant", the death star II isn't even taken out by a jedi where you can say "it's different for wizards"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Resistance doesn't have any spare ships to use in kamikaze attacks. When you're massively outresourced you don't want to be sacrificing what little you have even if it's a 'good trade' on paper. Plus without the element of surprise the FO could easily develop a countermeasure.

The silent shot was really cool as well.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Considering that Poe was supposed to die in the crash at the beginning of TFA and only was awkwardly retconned into survival when they realized he had good chemistry with Finn, I wonder how the TLJ would have been if they had kept him dead. It definitely could have cut down on the bloat since you now don't have three mostly unrelated plotlines taking up runtime.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Turdfuzz posted:

Sieges with big ol' battering rams are in-genre. I was reminded of Gron at the Battle of Pellenor Fields in LOTR.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Rey should have joined Kylo. Maybe not necessarily gone to the dark side, but it would have been cool to see them become "grey" jedi of a sort. A lot of people are saying this movie was bold and went against expectations and that's why a lot of old school Star Wars fans hated it, but on the contrary I think a lot of people were disappointed because they played it way too safe. There were points at which I thought they were going to take the story in a new and unexpected direction, but it turned out to all be blue balls moments. The film was ultimately just a rehash of Empire with some elements of Jedi thrown in. Had it actually taken Star Wars in a new and unexpected direction beyond the superficial new elements that were introduced more people would have liked it. The final film may make up for it though.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would a PYF star wars or similar thread be good for extended universe chat and talking about things you liked about the movie? I don't want to derail the thread talking about things I like.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Resistance doesn't have any spare ships to use in kamikaze attacks. When you're massively outresourced you don't want to be sacrificing what little you have even if it's a 'good trade' on paper. Plus without the element of surprise the FO could easily develop a countermeasure.
But they already lose a bunch of ships in every loving battle they get into. It definitely seems like they would lose less ships total if they just slingshotted a couple ships at star destroyers like that, every space battle scene in every star wars film they seem to lose the majority of their forces.

Gianthogweed posted:

Rey should have joined Kylo. Maybe not necessarily gone to the dark side, but it would have been cool to see them become "grey" jedi of a sort. A lot of people are saying this movie was bold and went against expectations and that's why a lot of old school Star Wars fans hated it, but on the contrary I think a lot of people were disappointed because they played it way too safe. There were points at which I thought they were going to take the story in a new and unexpected direction, but ultimately the film was just a rehash of Empire with some elements of Jedi thrown in. Had it actually taken Star Wars in a new and unexpected direction beyond the superficial new elements that were introduced more people would have liked it. The final film may make up for it though.
I still think the problem isn't whether they did or did not stick to what star wars has been in the past, but the large amount of screentime wasted on needless sideplots with pointless tertiary characters. And dragging out the final battle into another final battle. Just too bloated of a film.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Turtlicious posted:

Would a PYF star wars or similar thread be good for extended universe chat and talking about things you liked about the movie? I don't want to derail the thread talking about things I like.

make a post your sw fanfiction thread so all those idiots can go there instead

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Why would talking about things you like be a derail? This isn't a dedicated hate thread.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

galagazombie posted:

Considering that Poe was supposed to die in the crash at the beginning of TFA and only was awkwardly retconned into survival when they realized he had good chemistry with Finn, I wonder how the TLJ would have been if they had kept him dead. It definitely could have cut down on the bloat since you now don't have three mostly unrelated plotlines taking up runtime.

Eh, Rian would have just introduced another rogue ace to tell the same story.

TLJ is a statement about aspects of Star Wars well before it's a continuation of TFA

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ImpAtom posted:

Through the actual context of the story. Poe is told to retreat, makes an argument, Leia disagrees with him and Poe turns her off rather than listening. We see the attack is a success (through chance and luck and the death of a number of people). It's a plot point that the Resistance thought they would be able to escape safely. Even Snoke though the Resistance had escaped safely until Hux was like "nah son we got them."

When Leia confronts him his response is "They were heroes" and Leia's is "dead heroes, no leaders." And she's not wrong. They were heroes. They succeeded in destroying a terrifying monster weapon. They also almost all died for it and they lost their precious resources to do so. Note that this happens before they're tracked as well. (Leia even gives Poe permission to go out and blow some poo poo up once the First Order finds them.)

Poe destroying the Dreadnaught probably did save the Resistance but he had no way of knowing that. This is made really clear. Poe was focused on people being heroes and on defeating a strong enemy and not on the fact that those heroes all died and now they had even fewer resources to deal with future events for no (foreseeable) gain.

Again, this is a man argument about tactics, not about morality. Poe thinks it is important to destroy the Dreadnaught. He thinks it is work risking lives. This is a war, so people are going to die, and in his mind this is a good thing to die for because it is “a fleet killer.”

This tactical decision somehow becomes a moral one. He’s not merely wrong, tactically, he’s “thinking with his dick” and “doesn’t care about those people.”

That’s the jump that confuses me. People are going to die in a battle. The entire purpose of the Resistance is to battle the FO. But Poe is uniquely, morally responsible for these deaths because the movie has another character tell us that it wasn’t worth it.

And then later it turns out maybe he was actually tactically correct anyway.

Leia doesn’t actually want to fight the FO. She doesn’t want to fight at all. What are they doing? Why have a resistance? Her plan is to “inspire hope”, I guess, but do you need Military organization and materiel for that?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The death star I and death star II were destroyed by single person ships. The droid satellite base thing was destroyed by a 9 year old. The star killer was taken down by a team of 3 people.

Star wars isn't really a universe where big ships are only taken out by big armies, the norm is basically "giant ships have massive firepower but can be taken out by any passing ant", the death star II isn't even taken out by a jedi where you can say "it's different for wizards"

All of those things you mentioned were team efforts that took more than just the one guy who shot the killing blow though. And were all about finding chinks in the armor through courage and daring through great sacrifice. Remember like 30 people had to die for Luke to get his shot which itself was part of a movie long story about finding the plans and exploiting a special flaw. Hyperspace ramming contrary to what you claim is what makes all of that superfluous.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

Can't a higher up authority countermand orders though? I honestly don't know, but if, say, a Captain in the field ordered an attack, if a General came rolling in and got on the radio to say "gently caress no" wouldn't they listen?

On paper, maybe.

But in real life? Who are you listening to? The captain who's been with you in training/action for months/years? Or some guy you have never met who just shows up and says: "Hey guys, do what I say."?

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I still think the problem isn't whether they did or did not stick to what star wars has been in the past, but the large amount of screentime wasted on needless sideplots with pointless tertiary characters. And dragging out the final battle into another final battle. Just too bloated of a film.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

AndyElusive posted:

Token black Star Wars character should have died to save his mostly white friends. You read it here first, Internet.

That did happen yes, recall the resistance captain who stayed on his ship? I don't think he even had any lines.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sieges with big ol' battering rams are in-genre. I was reminded of Gron at the Battle of Pellenor Fields in LOTR.

Count me in as someone who had no problem with the battering ram. It makes perfect sense with Star Wars schizo tech with it's naval broadsides, mechanical war elephants, laser swords, WWII dogfights, laser crossbows and so on.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sinding Johansson posted:

That did happen yes, recall the resistance captain who stayed on his ship? I don't think he even had any lines.

Finn is way blacker than Captain Rando was.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

galagazombie posted:

Did every planet's space mayor go on TV and explain that since some assholes blew up the Hosnian system he's revoking all their rights and canceling elections? Could you imagine if tomorrow North Korea nuked D.C. and everyone in America shrugged and swore fealty to Kim-Jong-Un? Not even a day has passed since the end of TFA and already everyone accepts that the First Order is the ruler of the Galaxy. The Republic ruled the Galaxy for the last 30 years yet somehow the First Order has a massive cutting edge fleet and superweapons just like the Old Empire despite not ruling the Galaxy?

Exactly. You can make an interesting story where two sides are not so unevenly opposed, but it feels like the screenwriters are just setting them up to be underdogs so they can generate an underdog-sympathy rather than earn it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the middle ages, they had big cannons they used to shoot at castles as well, except they called them siege guns.

Shouldn't a battering ram cannon be a cannon that shoots battering rams?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the middle ages, they had big cannons they used to shoot at castles as well, except they called them siege guns.

Shouldn't a battering ram cannon be a cannon that shoots battering rams?

It's just a term Finn uses to describe it to the Resistance and the audience.

Technically it's called a Superlaser Siege Cannon.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hey how the gently caress did fin drag rose all the way back to the base after she crashed into his ship like a moron. they were so goddamn far away from there, they were flying(skating?) in that direction for so long and both their ships were ruined. and they were right in front of the imperials. did I forget something

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

On paper, maybe.

But in real life? Who are you listening to? The captain who's been with you in training/action for months/years? Or some guy you have never met who just shows up and says: "Hey guys, do what I say."?

Leia doesn't just show up out of nowhere though, she's the entire Resistance, personified.

It's part of what makes Leia's arc through the series so :smith: now. After three movies of incredible hardship but ultimate victory, she suffers highly personal and political losses offscreen and then loses her longtime lover and friend in TFA, then in TLJ not only is she apparently not longer a potent enough voice of authority that bomber pilots won't listen to her, but her name is so worthless that no one will return her phone calls.

And now she'll die offscreen, too.

Leia deserved so much more, I think. But I know that there are people who have called this character's trajectory "great" so I dunno. I mean something can be both "great" and sad but drat I just think that Leia shouldn't have been reduced to worthlessness.

IronicDongz posted:

hey how the gently caress did fin drag rose all the way back to the base after she crashed into his ship like a moron. they were so goddamn far away from there, they were flying(skating?) in that direction for so long and both their ships were ruined. and they were right in front of the imperials. did I forget something

The empire just chooses not to shoot at them I suppose. Finn comes back and then he's immediately ready to go help Luke and Poe stops him.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

Leia deserved so much more, I think.

lol what a good portion of the moving is them revering her: "she would have said ______, she taught me _______"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

leia will be fine in ep IX

they'll just have her be off camera, so characters can go 'but leia, that's crazy'

then she can do force shenanigans and save the day, also off camera, while Poe or whoever looks on in amazement

a great saving on both salaries and special fx.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
That shot of Phasma staring out at Finn from behind the ruins of her helmet is taken entirely from the bad Rebels cartoon where it works much better, despite being in a bad CGI cartoon.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

phasma was weird because i genuinely can't tell if johnson was purposefully continuing the joke that she's a worthless nothing of a character or if that was just a fun accident

either way i hope she survived falling into hell so something worse can happen to her in ep IX

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brother Entropy posted:

phasma was weird because i genuinely can't tell if johnson was purposefully continuing the joke that she's a worthless nothing of a character or if that was just a fun accident

either way i hope she survived falling into hell so something worse can happen to her in ep IX

My guess: she's chasing Finn in her shuttle and not looking where she's flying and so she crashes into a manure truck.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

they shoulda reshot the movie after she died n just had her die when she got blasted out into space w/ admiral ackbar

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

they fucken murdered admiral ackbar n barely anyone cared

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

My guess: she's chasing Finn in her shuttle and not looking where she's flying and so she crashes into a manure truck.

while making the sad trombone sound

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

phasma exists to sell toys

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Turdfuzz posted:

they fucken murdered admiral ackbar n barely anyone cared

Offscreen death too. poo poo was pretty funny.

"Oh by the way, all these guys are dead. Anyway, here's the next plot point to keep things going."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turdfuzz posted:

they shoulda reshot the movie after she died n just had her die when she got blasted out into space w/ admiral ackbar
her flying back thru space into the ship was basically embarrassing and reminded me how much I disliked the way that the original trilogy drops her having force potential like a bag of stones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Was 3 already filming? I mean, are they gonna write her out off screen or have a CGI one which I’m sure was somehow negotiated or something before taking the role; letting them CGI here if she dead

idk I’m making stuff up

• Locked thread