Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The entire production of TFA was an absolute clusterfuck. Disney really rushed these things out and it shows in nearly every aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
well brothers admiral ackbar has fallen in battle may he rest in peace. in other unrelated matters there's a seafood lunch in the mess hall...

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

The entire production of TFA was an absolute clusterfuck. Disney really rushed these things out and it shows in nearly every aspect.

WE GOTTA HAVE A STAR WARS EVERY YEAR U CAN JUST NOT GO SEE THE MOVIE IF U DONT WANT TO GOD I LOVE STAR WARS

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

the cult of star wars

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

inject that star wars into my rear end

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

spacetoaster posted:

On paper, maybe.

But in real life? Who are you listening to? The captain who's been with you in training/action for months/years? Or some guy you have never met who just shows up and says: "Hey guys, do what I say."?

Leia's hardly some guy/girl, though. She's this practically Messianic figure that everyone in the Resistance loves, adores and worships. They call her 'Leia' and not 'General Organa', they quote her lines to each other like they're solemn proverbs. I actually found the treatment of Leia incredibly bizarre and it felt like it was done to 'honor' Carrie Fisher.

Which makes the fact that no one comes to her aid even weirder.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For a bunch of dudes who care so much about Admiral Snackbar being blasted out into space, you sure are making a big deal about it being a yearly thang.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Admiral Ackbar deserved to die.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
And like the nothing he really was except for one meme phrase.

Unless you care about the countless fan fiction and EU where I'm sure he was a universe destroying epic hero or some poo poo.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

admiral ackbar had been a leader for them for decades n nobody cared but oh leia ur so great give me a break that fishman was a loving hero

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The only reason Johnson put that line in there is probably because he likes him and wanted to enshrine him having not been chumped by the FO death beam when it destroyed every New Republic ship.

The ultimate Fan Service would somehow involve Wedge tho

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The world of the Sequels feels so unimaginably small and hollow. The Sequels are really perfect late capitalist products from the world's largest media conglomerate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wedge died on his way back to his home planet.

Now whenever he's not on screen, all the Star Wars diehards have to ask, "Where's Wedge?"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

galagazombie posted:

All of those things you mentioned were team efforts that took more than just the one guy who shot the killing blow though. And were all about finding chinks in the armor through courage and daring through great sacrifice. Remember like 30 people had to die for Luke to get his shot which itself was part of a movie long story about finding the plans and exploiting a special flaw. Hyperspace ramming contrary to what you claim is what makes all of that superfluous.

In rogue one a little tiny ship rams one star destroyer into another star destroyer and breaks both, Big ships are 100% fragile all the time in every single star wars movie that has ever come out. It's only in some other sci-fi a ship being big means it's got more HP and is harder to kill. Star wars has always had every big ship always get destroyed by one guy or a small team. Like you can take out 5 big ships before breakfast and have to work a little to blow up the biggest ships, but still never takes more than one or two bombs to do it. This movie starts with someone blowing up a ship with not actually that many bombers and only one actually hitting anything.

Sacrifice one big ship or 5 small ships and you get rid of the enemy ship is pretty much the rule across everything star wars.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

do fish ppl even have souls

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

lol what am i saying of course they dont

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

white slavers, eh?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Turdfuzz posted:

WE GOTTA HAVE A STAR WARS EVERY YEAR U CAN JUST NOT GO SEE THE MOVIE IF U DONT WANT TO GOD I LOVE STAR WARS

This but without the caps. And punctuated. And also I really mean it. Even if they're only "okay" I will watch a star wars movie every year until the day I die.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In rogue one a little tiny ship rams one star destroyer into another star destroyer and breaks both, Big ships are 100% fragile all the time in every single star wars movie that has ever come out. It's only in some other sci-fi a ship being big means it's got more HP and is harder to kill. Star wars has always had every big ship always get destroyed by one guy or a small team. Like you can take out 5 big ships before breakfast and have to work a little to blow up the biggest ships, but still never takes more than one or two bombs to do it. This movie starts with someone blowing up a ship with not actually that many bombers and only one actually hitting anything.

Sacrifice one big ship or 5 small ships and you get rid of the enemy ship is pretty much the rule across everything star wars.

In Rogue One, a Rebel Transport slams into Vader's ISD at 'accelerating to hyperspace speeds' and practically bounces off it. Vader's ISD is literally untouched.

(This is a great scene that depicts how immediately screwed the Rebels are, in comparison to TLJ where it's just 'cool')

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

In Rogue One, a Rebel Transport slams into Vader's ISD at 'accelerating to hyperspace speeds' and practically bounces off it. Vader's ISD is literally untouched.

(This is a great scene that depicts how immediately screwed the Rebels are, in comparison to TLJ where it's just 'cool')

Well it's more like the Imperials walking into their ransacked kitchen and seeing a bunch of mice run away and scatter as they show up and only being able to step on one or two before the rest run past.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Messy, messy film.

Poe Dameron did nothing wrong.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

BardoTheConsumer posted:

This but without the caps. And punctuated. And also I really mean it. Even if they're only "okay" I will watch a star wars movie every year until the day I die.

why

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ackbar should have been the one that suicide bombed the...oh, nvm

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

It's in his name Turdfuzz

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Well it's more like the Imperials walking into their ransacked kitchen and seeing a bunch of mice run away and scatter as they show up and only being able to step on one or two before the rest run past.

They stomp the whole fleet beyond a bunch of X-Wings and Y-Wings, though. It's a major loss for the Rebellion.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Away all Goats posted:

While saying "THE TRAP GETS YOU!" and then turn into a meme. Or just "It's a trap!" being smug.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Away all Goats posted:

I actually thought for sure that when pinkhair lady was telling leia that she was gonna stay behind on the ship that leia would be like "no, I'm old, I've imparted my wisdom to you, and you have your life ahead of you. I'll do it."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

Leia doesn't just show up out of nowhere though, she's the entire Resistance, personified.

To us, maybe.

But to some rando pilot? Maybe not.

I've been in the military for over 20 years now and I just have to suspend my dis-belief in movies like this. Somebody asked the question if a general can just show up to a small unit in combat and start ordering people around and the answer is no.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

To us, maybe.

But to some rando pilot? Maybe not.

I've been in the military for over 20 years now and I just have to suspend my dis-belief in movies like this. Somebody asked the question if a general can just show up to a small unit in combat and start ordering people around and the answer is no.

u have to suspend ur disbelief in a star wars movie?? woah...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Turdfuzz posted:

u have to suspend ur disbelief in a star wars movie?? woah...

That, and anything with military stuff in it.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Because the ST is a breath of fresh air after three godawful movies and R1 was an attempt at doing something new with the franchise (granted it mostly failed but still.) The future of star wars is exciting. This was always a franchise with lots of potential. That's why there are ten million EU books and a dozen games.

BardoTheConsumer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 29, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
They should’ve destroyed Snoke’s whip with the power of love.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Username, post

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

more like a breath of poopy air

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Wedge died on his way back to his home planet.

Now whenever he's not on screen, all the Star Wars diehards have to ask, "Where's Wedge?"

P sure JJ asked him back and he refused unless it was a significant part. Have to imagine he would have had a couple of lines in the Starkiller pointer scene while wearing an olive/mustard tunic. Like Admiral Statura or some such.

Turns out he dodged a bullet bc being a rebel extra in 7+8 turned out to be an almost certain death sentence

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BardoTheConsumer posted:

The future of star wars is exciting.

lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gonz posted:

They should’ve destroyed Snoke’s whip with the power of love.

Lightspeed love

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

P sure JJ asked him back and he refused unless it was a significant part. Have to imagine he would have had a couple of lines in the Starkiller pointer scene while wearing an olive/mustard tunic. Like Admiral Statura or some such.

Turns out he dodged a bullet bc being a rebel extra in 7+8 turned out to be an almost certain death sentence

He was at Star Wars Celebration and sounded like he'd be up for whatever. He'll pop up in something sooner than later.

Milky Moor posted:

They stomp the whole fleet beyond a bunch of X-Wings and Y-Wings, though. It's a major loss for the Rebellion.

Are you arguing with the opening scroll of ANH? :colbert:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Billy Dee is still acting, why the gently caress isn't he here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tender Bender posted:

Billy Dee is still acting, why the gently caress isn't he here

Maybe he will heed the call and take up the Resistance in the wake of Leia's passing.

• Locked thread