Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
For anyone who just cannot play without DFHack, there's a dev version out which is compatible with the latest DF version. It's experimental, but this wasn't a huge update, so it shouldn't have too many problems. Working fine for me so far. Back up your saves just in case. https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.44.03-alpha1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I know dwarves freak out if they see someone through a glass wall, but what about through glass floors?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Embark on evil biomes until you find one that hits the sweet spot between near-instant death and "oh, the 'evil' is limited to blood rain and eyeball plants".

Every time I play I spend hours trying to find this to no avail. I just want to fight harpies and trolls and maybe the odd undead, not instant kill clouds and corpses near instantly reviving :(

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I wonder if there is a way to tie the certain biomes like nightmare to things like the vapor clouds and then just evil and sinister biomes have trolls and blood rain.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

returning rescued dwarves is bugged. the second i return one, the rest of my party (also dwarves being rescued) and the whole town goes hostile on them. ended up massacring two hillocks, defending the poor children, until i figured it out.

left with 1 child now. i'm disabling people for her to kill.

All good things must come to an end. I finally returned her to where her father lives. Turns out it's in the lovely site I created when playing around with the site builder. I killed a necromancer tower and dropped off all the books in my hut. Then I retired my dude at another hillock for 4 years. When I unretired, some dude took over my site, claimed it for himself, and invited all his noble buddies. Yeah, every single person on the site is a baron or some poo poo of somewhere. Papa lived there too. Let's see what's going on. . .

Very high class, indeed.

Hush child!

I suppose I don't understand the entertainment of the noble-born.

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 28, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

So I know dwarves freak out if they see someone through a glass wall, but what about through glass floors?
I believe they freak out if they see something through a window, a specific construction type. Glass blocks used to build normal floor or walls are not transparent.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 28, 2017

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

:five:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

give it a little crown imo

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im playing an anaconda man and im a little mad i cant wrestle with my tail and just squeeze the life out of people.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I wonder if you could make a snakeman's lower body count as a [LIMB] part...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

You sure you wanna eat that, guys?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm having a lot of fun playing adventurers with syndrome-inflicting attacks, I've moved on from bark scorpion men and brown recluse spider men to king cobra men because they have bones. Raise your biting skill up high enough and you can pretty reliably venom somebody on the first attack of a fight, especially if you sneak up on them, and then they're at a disadvantage for the rest of the battle.

The one downside I've found is that you're pretty much never finding armor anywhere unless you custom-smith it yourself at a player fortress

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

scamtank posted:

I mean it should.I guess animals that have tails like that have should have it renamed prehensile tail or something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lpzie posted:

returning rescued dwarves is bugged. the second i return one, the rest of my party (also dwarves being rescued) and the whole town goes hostile on them. ended up massacring two hillocks, defending the poor children, until i figured it out.

left with 1 child now. i'm disabling people for her to kill.

I'm the convex-nose bridge dwarf marksdwarf.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Haifisch posted:

You sure you wanna eat that, guys?

not really relevant but is that the mac or linux version? Because I want that font.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's Windows. I'm not entirely sure which option gave me that font, but I'm using the Phoebus tileset(including its graphics font) & have truetype fonts set to YES(also requires you to use 2D print mode).

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Eric the Mauve posted:

not really relevant but is that the mac or linux version? Because I want that font.

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it's DeJaVu Sans Mono, which is free and can be installed here: https://dejavu-fonts.github.io/

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm playing around with Dwarf Therapist trying to find some decent fighters for my budding military, and there are a bunch of dwarves listed on Therapist, with labors, roles, active tasks, skills, etc., that do not exist on my dwarf list in the actual game. There are similar dwarves, but they've got different names and not always exactly the same skillset.

Have I accidentally spotted some dwarves who are lying about their identities or is this just a bug?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

I'm playing around with Dwarf Therapist trying to find some decent fighters for my budding military, and there are a bunch of dwarves listed on Therapist, with labors, roles, active tasks, skills, etc., that do not exist on my dwarf list in the actual game. There are similar dwarves, but they've got different names and not always exactly the same skillset.

Have I accidentally spotted some dwarves who are lying about their identities or is this just a bug?

I had the same problem in 40.02 at least. I was able to figure out which dwarves correspond to which names in therapist by giving them custom professions and then checking in game. I figured they had assumed identities in game but I'm not sure, might just be a bug.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

God drat do I love this game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Krotera posted:

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it's DeJaVu Sans Mono, which is free and can be installed here: https://dejavu-fonts.github.io/

Yeah sorry what I meant was I want that font in DF and I have no idea how to get it there.

(e: whoops sorry, I quoted you :ohdear:)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there a way to designate an artifact as a badge of office for a particular noble position? It can happen during worldgen, but can it be done at a player fortress?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm teaching my girlfriend dwarf fortress for the first time.

:O

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Turtlicious posted:

Condolences on your inevitable break up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Turtlicious posted:

Twitch stream this train wreck?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

bay12 secrets:

quote:

I know that if you add LARGE_PREDATOR to a civilized race you may get a kill quest in adv mode targeting nobles, i.e mayors, saying that they are an "evil that lurks within".

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

scamtank posted:

I think if you just add a [GRASP] tag to the part you can wrestle with it. I know I could bend limbs with my modded dragon's wing with grasp on it, but I don't remember if it could also gouge and strangle.

Also lets you carry weapons and items with that part, which is fun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turtlicious posted:

She belongs to Amok now.

Krotera posted:

Don't quote me but
:grin:

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Eric the Mauve posted:

(e: whoops sorry, I quoted you :ohdear:)

aaaaaaaaah

anyways yeah, download dejavu sans mono, then replace data\art\font.ttf with a copy of it renamed to font.ttf? I think that should probably work, haven't tried it though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I have some questions about necromancers and undead;

-are undead raised by a necromancer only loyal to the necromancer? Will they randomly attack anything else?
-will undead raised by a necromancer attack undead raised by a different necromancer?
-will undead raised by a necromancer attack undead created through other means, like evil biomes?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

If I remember right, the understanding between necrowizards and their meat children is intrinsic - undead are all OPPOSED_TO_LIFE while necromancers become NOT_LIVING the moment they're inducted into the dark arts. Necromancers and zombies of all sources should be cut from the same cloth, as far as their kinship is concerned.

It has the weird effect of making necromancers ineligible to be vampires, while vampires can freely read a slab and get a power.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright that makes sense.

One other question I'm too lazy/dumb to figure out; what temperature do you need to set a material too to make a TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW breath attack not immedeatly burst into flames. I'm making a creature that tries to avoid conflict by using breath that causes the victim to feel emotions related to guilt, but instead its burning them alive which is the opposite of peaceful.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Necromancers and undead function somewhat weirdly in Fortress mode, it should be noted. For example, if YOUR dwarves become necromancers, then they will not raise the dead freely, and will only do so under duress when they see hostile enemies...which can be a problem, because the undead they raise know no loyalties and will attack the dwarf that made them. Also, per the wiki,

quote:

Undead are hostile to everything that breathes as well as to enemy necromancer hordes, meaning that other sieges or ambushes (or, indeed, caravans) that happen to arrive when a necromancer siege is milling about will always result in a battle.

However, the interaction between vampires and the undead supposedly still holds, so even though enemy zombies will attack other necromancers' zombies due to faction hostility, and even though zombies in fortress mode will attack necromancers while ignoring both the necromancer's unliving state and potentially the necromancer being a supposed faction ally, vampires still get to stroll through hordes of undead safely ignored unless they attack first...supposedly. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a number of unexplored glitchy behaviors with these interactions.

E: Also reviewing that, the information there may not be up to date, so if this behavior has changed I apologize for any potential inaccuracy; I haven't yet tested Fortress mode necromancer weirdness myself.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 30, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Necromancers and undead function somewhat weirdly in Fortress mode, it should be noted. For example, if YOUR dwarves become necromancers, then they will not raise the dead freely, and will only do so under duress when they see hostile enemies...which can be a problem, because the undead they raise know no loyalties and will attack the dwarf that made them. Also, per the wiki,

However, the interaction between vampires and the undead supposedly still holds, so even though enemy zombies will attack other necromancers' zombies due to faction hostility, and even though zombies in fortress mode will attack necromancers while ignoring both the necromancer's unliving state and potentially the necromancer being a supposed faction ally, vampires still get to stroll through hordes of undead safely ignored unless they attack first...supposedly. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a number of unexplored glitchy behaviors with these interactions.

E: Also reviewing that, the information there may not be up to date, so if this behavior has changed I apologize for any potential inaccuracy; I haven't yet tested Fortress mode necromancer weirdness myself.

So, what you're saying is... vampire necromancer fort?

Time to drop a dwarf down a well.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Surely there's a novel written by an Urist Deadpulleys regarding the Politics of Undeath?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright that makes sense.

One other question I'm too lazy/dumb to figure out; what temperature do you need to set a material too to make a TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW breath attack not immedeatly burst into flames. I'm making a creature that tries to avoid conflict by using breath that causes the victim to feel emotions related to guilt, but instead its burning them alive which is the opposite of peaceful.

but at least the victims feel very guilty while burning to death

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
So in trying to make a non-lethal deterrent, you've simply made their deaths worse.

That's pretty drat dwarfy.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/946955694300741632

:iit:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Dwarven kitchens don't take any fuel at all, so obviously all dwarven cooking is just mashing stuff together and serving it room temperature. :iit: