Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If all that weren't enough, every single jet engine I know of, when shut down, dumps fuel pressure by venting the fuel rail overboard. It might only be a tablespoon per shutdown, but it seeps into concrete and eventually there's a huge quasi-oily patch at every parking spot.

I know Ellsworth is a superfund site even (wouldn't want to drink from any of the wells downstream of the base, although it's a lot better than it used to be).

Wouldn't be surprised if most air force bases are or have been on the superfund list at some point.

e. Most of this has been dealt with apparently but it's fun to read all the random stuff they had to clean up (the radioactive waste was mostly old radium instrument dials and whatnot that had been buried in concrete containers along with mustard gas training kits, apparently)
https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/SiteProfiles/index.cfm?fuseaction=second.ous&id=0800585

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Why, though? It was unprecedented and hasn’t been repeated since unless I missed an example.

Yes, you did. Every blockade ever.

“Go past this line and we’ll board and take or sink ya, cause if you go past that line then obviously you are abetting the enemy.”

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mr. Despair posted:

I know Ellsworth is a superfund site even (wouldn't want to drink from any of the wells downstream of the base, although it's a lot better than it used to be).

Wouldn't be surprised if most air force bases are or have been on the superfund list at some point.

e. Most of this has been dealt with apparently but it's fun to read all the random stuff they had to clean up (the radioactive waste was mostly old radium instrument dials and whatnot that had been buried in concrete containers along with mustard gas training kits, apparently)
https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/SiteProfiles/index.cfm?fuseaction=second.ous&id=0800585

I recall there periodically (ie every time people start discussing base closures) being talk about the city of Virginia Beach just buying back the land Oceana was built on; however, I'm not sure what people intend for them to actually DO with it for this exact reason.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Board and search is fundamentally different than threatening long range engagement by missiles and submarines by the UK against civilians, without warning. I guess it’s similar to Germany’s submarine tactics, though.

Additionally, if they hadn’t used the exclusion zone at all, you wouldn’t have had even UK members of parliament and the public questioning the otherwise entirely reasonable sinking of the Belgrano. And it gave the USSR reason to bitch about denying (albeit more dangerous) freedom of navigation.

It was stupid, IMO. A simple warning of “hey there’s potential for naval combat around here” would’ve been a public safety advisory without the UK just trying to make a bunch of rules it could neither legally back up nor actually enforce. And not that it’s the UK’s direct fault, but arguably the Argentines wouldn’t have attacked a neutral commercial ship if the UK hadn’t started playing the exclusion zone game. Their declared zone is decidedly different from a blockade of Argentina. There was no blockade against Argentina, in fact.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they want to build houses for all the people who want to live in that specific area? Of course that falls apart because Oceana is the major non-tourism employee and once it goes away, welp, SOL.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Polikarpov posted:

Isn't the saying about Sikorskys that you're only in trouble when the oil leak stops?

If your GE turbofan is leaking oil, there’s something wrong. If your P&W turbofan ISN’T leaking oil, there’s something wrong. :v:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

. Their declared zone is decidedly different from a blockade of Argentina. There was no blockade against Argentina, in fact.

It was a blockade of the Falklands. Also, once ships could cover a couple of hundred nm in a day and weapons could cover even more in minutes then any freighter becomes a threat.

It’s was a reasonable attempt to limit civilian casualties that appears to have worked reasonably well and as far as I can tell the only people arguing against at this point are internet trolls and people pushing political agendas.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Murgos posted:

tell the only people arguing against at this point are internet trolls and people pushing political agendas.

What am I doing to troll or push a political agenda? I’m all for the UK winning that war and sinking Belgrano. I just think the TEZ was a dumbass policy.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
When we did Libya, IIRC we posted a NOTAM that basically said, "Libyan national airspace is closed now and civilian traffic should avoid it for their safety." Is that fine because we didn't say the "we might shoot your rear end down" part out loud?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

When we did Libya, IIRC we posted a NOTAM that basically said, "Libyan national airspace is closed now and civilian traffic should avoid it for their safety." Is that fine because we didn't say the "we might shoot your rear end down" part out loud?

Well, did it extend 200 miles in every direction into international air and waters?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Well, did it extend 200 miles in every direction into international air and waters?

200 miles every direction from the Falklands is basically... near-Antarctica empty water. Or Argentina. Who's using it other than Argentine shipping? It's a different situation from the entire Mediterranean.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well, I guess if you’re going to make pointless and stupid proclamations, go into the middle of nowhere to make them.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Given that the UK were using cruise ships and container ships as transports and Argentina was repurposing Lear jets and trawlers for intelligence gathering it doesn't seem unreasonable to just say chances are you're going to get lit up by a SAM or AShM if you get anywhere near this war zone.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
By far the most disappointing thing about the falklands war was that a Nimrod never shot down a C-130 or SP-2H with jury-rigged heaters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Well, I guess if you’re going to make pointless and stupid proclamations, go into the middle of nowhere to make them.

It’s kind of a tradition on the Antarctic

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If they wanted to decommission an airbase, and turn it into a subdivision, is there any general figure floating around that gives one an idea of how much money it would take to remove all the contaminated soil? I know even a mom and pop gas station can get into the millions of dollars when you start looking at soil contamination and having to truck it away treat it, and then replace the stuff you took away.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A developer who wanted to develop on the NAS Alameda land said they expected it cost 2 billion to clean and develop in 2001. I suspect that number is low. It's moot because they gave up a few years later.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The former Grumman plant on Long Island is apparently a environmental nightmare smack in the middle of suburban NYC.

whoops

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
They should do what they do here - sell the land to a developer for $1 with the condition that they clean it up before building houses and schools.

That couldn't possibly backfire in a country that's gutting the EPA, right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Memento posted:

They should do what they do here - sell the land to a developer for $1 with the condition that they clean it up before building houses and schools.

If there’s no standard to meet for cleanup then there’s no need to cleanup!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Now I wonder how many dead bases are just a pox on the land nation wide.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Alaan posted:

Now I wonder how many dead bases are just a pox on the land nation wide.

ftfy, and the answer is "all of them."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'd call MB AFB a success until the cancer cluster gets discovered in a few decades.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
there's never not a good time to bring up picher oklahoma

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Whenever I see a place like this or those abandoned resorts on the Salton Sea I think "perfect filming location for a Fallout movie".

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Memento posted:

Ask me about the Superfund site I grew up on.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ask me about the Superfund site I grew up on.

What a post/username combo

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Splode posted:

What a post/username combo

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

RandomPauI posted:

A developer who wanted to develop on the NAS Alameda land said they expected it cost 2 billion to clean and develop in 2001. I suspect that number is low. It's moot because they gave up a few years later.

Not too bad, Alameda is a mere 50 on the cercla site scale. Unless things have changed there are sites with an 80+ rating. It can be a morbid hobby looking around for the cercla superstars. :getin:
ALAMEDA NAVAL AIR STATION's Contamination Greatest Hits

Full list of places you probably don't want to live.
https://www.epa.gov/superfund/national-priorities-list-npl-sites-state#main-content

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

When last I visited the place (about 10 years ago) the wardroom in 12 Wing Shearwater featured beer mugs that bore a silhouette of a Sea King and the motto "Flying Yesterday's Aircraft, Tomorrow." Not for much longer, finally.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Blistex posted:

If they wanted to decommission an airbase, and turn it into a subdivision, is there any general figure floating around that gives one an idea of how much money it would take to remove all the contaminated soil? I know even a mom and pop gas station can get into the millions of dollars when you start looking at soil contamination and having to truck it away treat it, and then replace the stuff you took away.

To give you an idea, Love Canal, the original superfund site, cost $400 million to clean up and was only something like two miles long. I forget how wide, but it was basically a toxic trench so not anywhere near as wide as long. Cleaning that poo poo up is HELLACIOUSLY expensive. Unless it was drat-near-priceless land like five square blocks of downtown manhattan or San Francisco or something the solution is almost inevitably "wall that poo poo off and label it so people don't build there" with some extra hoping to god that it hasn't gotten down to the groundwater.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

To give you an idea, Love Canal, the original superfund site, cost $400 million to clean up and was only something like two miles long. I forget how wide, but it was basically a toxic trench so not anywhere near as wide as long. Cleaning that poo poo up is HELLACIOUSLY expensive. Unless it was drat-near-priceless land like five square blocks of downtown manhattan or San Francisco or something the solution is almost inevitably "wall that poo poo off and label it so people don't build there" with some extra hoping to god that it hasn't gotten down to the groundwater.

$400MM is a doable number, financially if not politically. Then you have sites like Hanford that basically can never be cleaned up at any cost, although that one is an outlier.

In other news, found out as a result of this thread that the Superfund site I grew up on was taken off the NPL in 2006!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mlmp08 posted:

Why, though? It was unprecedented and hasn’t been repeated since unless I missed an example.

It wasn't unprecedented.

https://stockton.usnwc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1666&context=ils

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

“Unprecedented” is probably a bridge too far, but that very source indicates how poorly worded it was and how the UK had to keep amending its stupid policy language.

TEZ dumb, so what?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shooting Blanks posted:

$400MM is a doable number, financially if not politically. Then you have sites like Hanford that basically can never be cleaned up at any cost, although that one is an outlier.

In other news, found out as a result of this thread that the Superfund site I grew up on was taken off the NPL in 2006!

Sure, but that was the number for a relatively small site. The cost is due to the really intensive remediation that has to be done. IIRC with Love Canal all the dirt had to be dug up to a depth of something like 15 feet, replaced, and the dirt that was sent out had to be chemically scrubbed then disposed of. It's one of those things where the costs scale with size, so if you're looking at a decent sized lot it's going to get megabucks fast.

Oh, and if you plan on having anything near it that involves people you probably can't just scrub the part you want to use and leave the neighboring lot a toxic dump.

edit: Here, I grabbed one of those superfund sites at random to look at. The site narrative is illuminating:

Burnt Fly Bog, in NJ

The site is about 1700 acres with unlined lagoons that were used as toxic waste dumps in the 50s and 60s. Notable landmarks include two lagoons full of liquid, two full of sludge, and a ~13,000 cubic yard mound of sludge. That's a giant goddamned mess of a headache, and that's just bog ( :haw: ) standard industrial effluvia, not even some crazy military poo poo.

The listing of how they've approached it is pretty telling: $336k in emergency grant funds issued to the state to figure out what to do with it, and $30k of that was spent on "build a fence so people know not to go there."

edit: to put it into perspective, Love Canal covered about SIXTEEN acres. That's literally a hundredth of what that one nasty swamp in NJ is sprawling over.

If it cost the same to fix Burnt Fly Bog as it did Love Canal it would be a $40B project.

All of this is the most paper thin of napkin math, of course, but it gives some idea of the scale of the costs involved in truly cleaning up a superfund site. The real solution is going to be to wall them off and tell people not to drink the water.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 28, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The real point in which humanity will have conquered the stars is when we start dumping our trash into them

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 28, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

All of this is the most paper thin of napkin math, of course, but it gives some idea of the scale of the costs involved in truly cleaning up a superfund site. The real solution is going to be to wall them off and tell people not to drink the water.

This is one reason why cleaning up China is not an option, short of some Naussica level poison cleansing bioengineered organisms

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is one reason why cleaning up China is not an option, short of some Naussica level poison cleansing bioengineered organisms

Semi-serious question, could this lead China to pursue a Lebensraum option? If a significant fraction of the country is polluted to uninhabitability, that may lead to a desire to explore foreign lands.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but that was the number for a relatively small site. The cost is due to the really intensive remediation that has to be done. IIRC with Love Canal all the dirt had to be dug up to a depth of something like 15 feet, replaced, and the dirt that was sent out had to be chemically scrubbed then disposed of. It's one of those things where the costs scale with size, so if you're looking at a decent sized lot it's going to get megabucks fast.

Oh, and if you plan on having anything near it that involves people you probably can't just scrub the part you want to use and leave the neighboring lot a toxic dump.

edit: Here, I grabbed one of those superfund sites at random to look at. The site narrative is illuminating:

Burnt Fly Bog, in NJ

The site is about 1700 acres with unlined lagoons that were used as toxic waste dumps in the 50s and 60s. Notable landmarks include two lagoons full of liquid, two full of sludge, and a ~13,000 cubic yard mound of sludge. That's a giant goddamned mess of a headache, and that's just bog ( :haw: ) standard industrial effluvia, not even some crazy military poo poo.

The listing of how they've approached it is pretty telling: $336k in emergency grant funds issued to the state to figure out what to do with it, and $30k of that was spent on "build a fence so people know not to go there."

edit: to put it into perspective, Love Canal covered about SIXTEEN acres. That's literally a hundredth of what that one nasty swamp in NJ is sprawling over.

If it cost the same to fix Burnt Fly Bog as it did Love Canal it would be a $40B project.

The fact that sites do get cleaned up should give you some cause for optimism. The Columbia Organic Chemical Company site in SC doesn’t appear on that list anymore and that was a horrifically contaminated site, so it is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sperglord posted:

Semi-serious question, could this lead China to pursue a Lebensraum option? If a significant fraction of the country is polluted to uninhabitability, that may lead to a desire to explore foreign lands.

That would require leadership to admit that there was a problem in the first place.