Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

You mean me, or the article?

Come on! Everyone knows the russians are beasts with no morals, what is this guy trying to imply here?

quote:

But as the encounter with Yuri that night in Lyubertsy showed, Russians can be reached if basic moral principles are made clear to them. Russians do not share the ethical heritage of the West, but moral intuition exists everywhere, and is able to be inspired. What matters is the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

And then, everybody clapped.

And that wallet was Albert Einstein.

Pierogi posted:

Come on! Everyone knows the russians are beasts with no morals, what is this guy trying to imply here?

The savage heathens of the Russian steppes can be tamed and educated. It is the American Man's burden to come there, colonize this wild land, and teach its fierce natives how to live in a civilization.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Pierogi posted:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Cat Mattress posted:

And then, everybody clapped.

And that wallet was Albert Einstein.

The savage heathens of the Russian steppes can be tamed and educated. It is the American Man's burden to come there, colonize this wild land, and teach its fierce natives how to live in a civilization.

Yeah that article is condescending as hell. Apparently Russians don't have basic moral principles, they have to be firmly taught by Americans.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I like how the "moral" is phrased as if Russians were a breed of dogs that can be taught discipline with enough patience :thumbsup:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's a rare mix of condescension and optimism.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

That author sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/sandsathopkins/status/944637485820383234

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that's a rare mix of condescension and optimism.

Eh, if you read enough NYT/WaPo/WSJ/Guardian opinion writing you pretty much get completely desensitized to that. Part of my reason for posting it here was to see people's reactions because it genuinely seemed to me not that remarkable by those places op-ed standards. Tom Friedman could beat this guy in his sleep

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Shortly after arriving in Russia I left about 10,000 rub on my desk in a lovely student apartment. I was exhausted so I completely forgo putting in a cupboard and locked up and went out to get something to eat. When I came back I learned that we apparently had a cleaning service that just would let themselves in when they needed to. They not only did not steal any of the money, but they stacked it nicely and stacked the coins by denomination. I was baffled. My american morals could not fathom how someone wouldn't just take a months pay from a foreigner with no recourse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

rear end struggle posted:

Shortly after arriving in Russia I left about 10,000 rub on my desk in a lovely student apartment. I was exhausted so I completely forgo putting in a cupboard and locked up and went out to get something to eat. When I came back I learned that we apparently had a cleaning service that just would let themselves in when they needed to. They not only did not steal any of the money, but they stacked it nicely and stacked the coins by denomination. I was baffled. My american morals could not fathom how someone wouldn't just take a months pay from a foreigner with no recourse.
They clearly thought you were a gangster, flaunting your wealth and daring them to steal it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

rear end struggle posted:

My american morals could not fathom how someone wouldn't just take a months pay from a foreigner with no recourse.

The police will totally scam and rob a foreigner though.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Every year the new year starts at 11 pm. For some people in Estonia and I dare guess that in Latvia as well.

Yep......

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
The New Year is in January you Gregorianailures :colbert:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The new year really starts when I lose the habit of writing "2017" as the date, so it's generally around March or even April.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The new year actually starts when you run out of mandarines. :colbert:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Also Polish goons what is up with your awful "tequila flavored" beer :wtc:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

You mean Desperados? Been a while since I've drunk it but I don't remember it being that terrible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

It's everywhere in Latvia too. It's piss flavoured piss, hard pass.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cat Mattress posted:

The new year really starts when I lose the habit of writing "2017" as the date, so it's generally around March or even April.

I was writing something that included a date in the coming January so I was like "oh yeah better make sure to write 2018 not 2017."

I wrote "12" for the month.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, from what little I've seen of Poland, I strongly suspect they like to mask the taste with sheer amounts of alcohol. Like, Polish beer tastes like piss but it starts at 12° and goes up from there. It's sneaky.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/OksanaBoyko_RT/status/947908610226573312/photo/1

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/948471250715754496

should have kept it up, it was a good post. Instead he is having a break down on twitter.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Just here to post Klaipeda's really cool Christmas tree.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
lol

Donetsk imposes sanctions on Luhansk

http://belsat.eu/en/news/love-hate-relationship-donetsk-imposes-sanctions-on-luhansk/

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I knew that Ukraine sucks, but this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0LM7ZIbsM&t=1349s

This is.... incredible. I bet somewhere out there city officials drive their X5 to work every day and everything is fine. For them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

I knew that Ukraine sucks, but this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0LM7ZIbsM&t=1349s

This is.... incredible. I bet somewhere out there city officials drive their X5 to work every day and everything is fine. For them.

That would be a perfectly normal sight in two largest Latvian cities too. They still have ancient Soviet trams in service.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That these 30 - 40 yo Tatras perform well on what amounts to a mule trail is a triumph of Czech engineering :cheers:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Happy Christmas.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That would be a perfectly normal sight in two largest Latvian cities too. They still have ancient Soviet trams in service.

But did you look at the tracks, they were literally broken off at multiple places and hung in the air, yet the trams just ran over them anyway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

But did you look at the tracks, they were literally broken off at multiple places and hung in the air, yet the trams just ran over them anyway.

That part is not as bad here, I didn't pay too much attention.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

That these 30 - 40 yo Tatras perform well on what amounts to a mule trail is a triumph of Czech engineering :cheers:
Škoda 15tr trolleys in Tallinn would have probably run forever, nearing 30 years of continuous service. Riding these was becoming a sport. But the current city government decided to do away with trolleybuses and so they only kept some newer Polish ones.

quote:

Sometimes foreigners might mistake Tallinn for a western european city, if they see our brand new CAF trams. Until they see homeless people sleeping in them. Then they know that they are still in eastern Europe.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Happy Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHZh7czV86Y

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jonnypeh posted:

Sometimes foreigners might mistake Tallinn for a western european city, if they see our brand new CAF trams. Until they see homeless people sleeping in them. Then they know that they are still in eastern Europe.

In western Europe, this would be solved by nailing sharp spikes everywhere.

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

Oh, my fine city.

Tram rails have been in terrible condition since the 90s here.
Local people just don't give a gently caress when such trivial accidents happen ("nothing to see here, move along")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oEC6u2IHdI

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Apparently Latvian Security Police has given out a memo to the national library council that librarians ought to report suspicious visitors, such as people who are interested in Islam or watch violent videos online. :wtc:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Apparently Latvian Security Police has given out a memo to the national library council that librarians ought to report suspicious visitors, such as people who are interested in Islam or watch violent videos online. :wtc:

Makes sense, you've got to find the next Brown Moseses before the Russian spies get them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

That author sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

I read it a while ago but I thought his book on Russian memory of the Soviet past (It was a long time ago and it never happened anyway) was pretty good. He could write a good book and still be an rear end in a top hat though, God knows there are enough of those in Russian studies.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/951136223912919040

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the petty trend of re-naming streets in front of embassies you're having a tiff with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I love the petty trend of re-naming streets in front of embassies you're having a tiff with.

Please direct mail to the Russian Embassy at 123 Russia Sucks lol Avenue, Washington DC