Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hoya (火屋?) means "lamp chimney" in Japanese.
Hoyahoya is the Japanese onomatopoeia for smoking or steaming.
The English version translates its name to the Puff-Puff Fruit. This is a reference towards the tradition of genies leaving their lamp in a puff of smoke when summoned by their master.

That sort of works with puff pastries, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Jinbei did nothing wrong

Can't believe the anti-fishman sentiment in here, it's 2017 people.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I think being fat is what made big mom so durable. It should be easy to make thin mom bleed :twisted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The genie's drawback is that it's probably incredibly stupid since it wrecked Daifuku's fleet

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I think it’s that daifuku is just stupid and doesn’t think, kinda like his brother oven.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

I think it’s that daifuku is just stupid and doesn’t think, kinda like his brother oven.

And unlike his third triplet brother Katakuri.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

And unlike his third triplet brother Katakuri.

Katakuri got so hungry he failed to finish off Luffy, then started getting his rear end kicked because he was embarrassed that someone saw him eat his snack.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/spookanide/status/944638308759597057

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The guy on the right is me when I remember we have another break from One Piece this coming week.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hey what's the deal with Eneru vs Enel, just an imperfect translation?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Basically, Ener(gy) vs just Enel (En-lil)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Enel is the name of an Australian energy company IIRC, so it’s straight up a Killer/Deadly Queen situation.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

eneru is dumb and enel is good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm pretty sure there's no official romanization from Oda so it just ends up being whatever since katakana's closest approximation to the l sound is ru. Choose your own truth.

The power company thing has never been commented on and could just be a happy accident since not everyone in One Piece has some kind of obvious pun name (which is hard to believe these days with Big Mom's dessert themed family and just literally naming the loving rabbit girl Carrot)

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
any other manga would have just had her named Usagi so at least its a little better

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no official romanization from Oda so it just ends up being whatever since katakana's closest approximation to the l sound is ru. Choose your own truth.

The power company thing has never been commented on and could just be a happy accident since not everyone in One Piece has some kind of obvious pun name (which is hard to believe these days with Big Mom's dessert themed family and just literally naming the loving rabbit girl Carrot)

Eneru is the official translation

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 25, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The u feels unnecessary, though. A good rule of thumb is to err on the side of fewer us and os for names in manga with Western-ish settings. Ener has an obvious etymology (energy) that makes sense.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Icebarg

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

actually its bakaburg

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GonSmithe posted:

Eneru is the official translation

After Fate/Grand Order I flat out refuse to accept official names from gacha games

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Blockhouse posted:

After Fate/Grand Order I flat out refuse to accept official names from gacha games

Don’t you mean Aftria Fate/Grand Order?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
goddamnit

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

R and L are interchangeable in Japanese and generally if a word would end with R they add a U.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Blockhouse posted:

That’s fair, Dokkan Battle also uses really stupid wrong translations, but Eneru is how it’s written in every English game he’s in, that was just what I had on hand.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also they use Kami instead of God in the translations, and while God works best with Enel, Kami Eneru rolls off the tongue better than God Eneru.

Also happy Christmas, I got another omnibus.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Enel will always be Kami Enel to me
For there is only one god
And he is god usopp

Merry liesmas

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter is out - https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/890/page/1

Even in a chapter where every Straw Hat on the ship got a chance to contribute, Chopper played the smallest role and had the least screentime.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 29, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jinbe loving owns.

Of course, some of us don't need that spoiled :smugdog:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That’s a strange combination of characters in the colour spread. Eastern Zodiac reference?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Napolean's design with the curved jaw reminds me of something, but I can't for the life of me think what. The only other cartoon sword (not from One Piece) I can think of is the singing sword in Who Killed Roger Rabbit? and it's definitely not that. That aside though, the chapter was great and the crew defied all my expectations from last week. Especially Nami at the end. Poor Zeus. On the other hand, please let Nami now have her own personal cloud for flight a la Dragon Ball even after Big Mom is defeated.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter is out - https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/890/page/1

Even in a chapter where every Straw Hat on the ship got a chance to contribute, Chopper played the smallest role and had the least screentime.

that last nami panel :swoon:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wait, so looking at that again, did Brook steal a piece of Zeus while he was cutting him, and that's where Nami got it?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Good Chapter.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s a strange combination of characters in the colour spread. Eastern Zodiac reference?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
holy poo poo that was a good chapter

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I guess Big Mom is Boar and Mansherry is rat?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

tsob posted:

Napolean's design with the curved jaw reminds me of something, but I can't for the life of me think what.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
This was the best chapter in an entire arc filled with best chapters. Even Chopper got a decent moment!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I guess Big Mom is Boar and Mansherry is rat?

Yes, but how is Kalifa a goat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tsob posted:

Napolean's design with the curved jaw reminds me of something, but I can't for the life of me think what. The only other cartoon sword (not from One Piece) I can think of is the singing sword in Who Killed Roger Rabbit? and it's definitely not that. That aside though, the chapter was great and the crew defied all my expectations from last week. Especially Nami at the end. Poor Zeus. On the other hand, please let Nami now have her own personal cloud for flight a la Dragon Ball even after Big Mom us defeated.

It reminds me of the flying axe-shaped ship from Super Mario RPG. But it looks almost exactly like the living sword monster from Dragon Quest. Prometheus looks very DQ-ish as well.

Anyway, what a great chapter. gently caress yeah Jinbe.