Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

Beauty comes in many sizes, but lord. He draws her rear end so huge. Her boyfriend is supposed to be a fat character and she's supposed to be a bombshell out of his league, but compare their relative sizes. And yet her head is so small.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is still hilarious.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Beauty comes in many sizes, but lord. He draws her rear end so huge. Her boyfriend is supposed to be a fat character and she's supposed to be a bombshell out of his league, but compare their relative sizes. And yet her head is so small.

I always thought she was unobtainable on account of being a girl nerd, not that she was a bombshell. We've never seen anyone else make a pass at her. I think. Yeah the gross guys in the date montage sure but they'd be doing that even if she was a manatee.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Barry's made several passes, and when she was introduced as a huge nerd I'm pretty sure Quagmike made a pass at her as well. Discounting those two and the nameless date montages we're left with VIET NAM VET who is yet to meet her but I'm sure will turn on what is euphemistically known as "the southern charm" but is more accurately described as just an old white man grossly flirting with a young woman.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Skip seems to be getting slimmer. He'll probably do a full Phil Fumble by the end of 2018.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So he'll grow three feet taller and his hair will thicken?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And he'll go to church a lot.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is completely unrealistic. Brand new curtains and the mom isn't swearing a blue streak at the cat for damaging them?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kavak posted:

This is completely unrealistic. Brand new curtains and the mom isn't swearing a blue streak at the cat for damaging them?

It's the same as having kids or dogs, you either don't have nice things, or you make peace with the idea of having nice things damaged.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 30, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 30, 1996)

Garfield Classic (May 30, 1986)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

I've always wondered if she's intentionally drawn with the build of a linebacker.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CzarChasm posted:

It's the same as having kids or dogs, you either don't have nice things, or you make peace with the idea of having nice things damaged.
Or you work out elaborate ways of keeping the nice things away from the cats, only to have the cats get in them anyway.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.

Wait...

All that flame was from a concussion grenade?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

I've thought of them both as a little on the chubby side, and I think a woman at a given BMI is usually as big or slightly bigger around the hips than a man at the same. Regardless, isn't a "bombshell" supposed to have a big butt?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Julet Esqu posted:

The middle panel is the most absurd example of this. Seriously look at it and picture the positioning/size of her lower body:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

SnotGrumble posted:

Wait...

All grenades are concussion grenades, if you think about it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Is anyone else having imgur problems? Mine keeps hanging at the "Creating your post" step, and turning ghostery/ublock off isn't fixing it.

In the meantime here's 2004 Spiderman.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If I were getting the impression that Reddick were intentionally drawing her as a woman of size that would be way different. But what it looks like to me is more like he's an rear end man, so he started there and then worked his way up to the boobs and then, oh poo poo, she's too big and he's running out of room, panic, panic, uh, tiny head and now *boom* she fits in the panel. Which is nuts in its own way because there's no way he's not doing this on a computer and it would be easy for him to scale her clipart down.

But if she is being drawn as a larger lady on purpose, then good on her for keeping the belly taught and those arms nice and firm, I guess.

I am also having imgur problems, so no Luann until that resolves. It's imgur's Christmas gift to you.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gwen is drawn like what a person who does not understand proportions and has only ever drawn newspaper comics thinks what a hot woman looks like

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
the Hartman Hips phenomenon

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Julet Esqu posted:

Maybe he likes big asses.

I like big asses.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lowen SoDium posted:

Maybe he likes big asses.

I like big asses.

The PYF IOSM thread title is highly applicable: Idiots on Social Media: In these trying times, I stand with Sir Mix-a-Lot

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I love it when subforums come together.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SnotGrumble posted:

Wait...

I assume all that "flame" was from a colorist who hadn't read the next strip yet

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Could have gone up like a fire in a flour mill. All that highly flammable dust in the air from the... People. Yeah.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

kidcoelacanth posted:

Gwen is drawn like what a person who does not understand proportions and has only ever drawn newspaper comics thinks what a hot woman looks like

I sorta assumed she was somewhat amazonian. Just big and thick.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, she's not curvey, she's lumpy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

No, she's not curvey, she's lumpy.

lovely lady lumps?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He just doesn't understand how women's hips work because he's never been near them.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Imgur seems to have pulled its head out of its rear end, at least for the time being.

Hey, Luann! Unless there is a noticeable stench or it is attracting vermin, your dad does not care whether his adult daughter cleans her room as long as the door is closed! A better gift would be to do one of his chores that he doesn't like! Clean the garage! Mow the lawn! Take over dealing with the trash or the recycling for a while! Something else! But cleaning your own room is not a gift to anybody but yourself!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, Luann! Unless there is a noticeable stench or it is attracting vermin, your dad does not care whether his adult daughter cleans her room as long as the door is closed! A better gift would be to do one of his chores that he doesn't like! Clean the garage! Mow the lawn! Take over dealing with the trash or the recycling for a while! Something else! But cleaning your own room is not a gift to anybody but yourself!

True. She's in college. Her parents are way past caring if she cleans her drat room. It's just more of the strip treating High School and College as the same thing for some weird reason.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ah imgur is back up so the wait is over for you to see Wilbur have his spirit crushed.

First though, a look back at IL. These are the first full-body appearances of Skip and Gwen that I could find.

I think Skip has definitely become slimmer, and Gwen has certainly become curvier. I always thought she was supposed to be kind of plain but pretty, not really out of Skip's league (although she could do better).

F Minus

That would be hard on the knees.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

That's the stuff.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How long has Johnny been with the Morgans

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A few months?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Calaveron posted:

How long has Johnny been with the Morgans
Margie arrived with Johnny in July, and abandoned him in September. What that means for in-strip time is hard to tell, but I don't think it could be more than the actual ~5 months it has really been, and about 3-ish solo with him.

That's a significant amount of time caring for a little kid, and I could see very easily them forming a bond with him, especially since they long ago accepted he is part of their family.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Julet Esqu posted:

Imgur seems to have pulled its head out of its rear end, at least for the time being.

Also, she could have cleaned her room beforehand, leading to a real surprise. But in Luann world, there is no greater gift that a promise that will no doubt be unfulfilled because the artist forgot.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

I think Skip has definitely become slimmer, and Gwen has certainly become curvier. I always thought she was supposed to be kind of plain but pretty, not really out of Skip's league (although she could do better).

Good lord. I didn't think too much of Gwen's character design before but now that I've seen her original appearance the current version looks like an abomination.

Tracksuit

The military humor in Tracksuit should be required reading for anyone seriously thinking about enlisting. Well strictly speaking Willie and Joe would be more relatable. And educational, since the Greatest Generation and World War II are so heavily fetishized to hell and back it's a bit off-putting to learn that the people who actually participated in it enjoyed cartoons that are cynical even by modern standards.

Mother From Another Country

And that's it. I want to stop here because 108 contains a mostly unnoticeable format change. If I come back next thread it will be much less regularly, since these are up to April 2015 now and the seasons are out of sync. Season 2 contains 183 comics, for reference, and ended exactly two years ago today. Season 3 contains 197 comics, still publishes, and so far as I can tell looks exactly the same as Season 2 did.

• Locked thread