Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never played any of them but maybe now I will. The only thing I knew about the xeno games before Blade 1 was the infamous Disc 2 Chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think Xenosaga was the first game I bought with my PS2 but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it . I never finished it . Don't remember Xenogears much either, I played it at a friends as a little kid but it was one of my first JRPGs and went over my head

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I've never played any of them but maybe now I will. The only thing I knew about the xeno games before Blade 1 was the infamous Disc 2 Chair

Xenogears gives you a full game's worth of content before the chair so it's not a rip off or anything.

Xenosaga is really slow though and I eventually gave up on the story and just played the extremely good card game for hours.

E: I may give xenosaga another shot someday on an emulator with speed up options. I hear it's one of those jrpgs where you really need to spend some time in the menus optimizing your dudes.

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 26, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

I think Xenosaga was the first game I bought with my PS2 but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it . I never finished it . Don't remember Xenogears much either, I played it at a friends as a little kid but it was one of my first JRPGs and went over my head

the pink chibi animal gets crucified like jesus

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
xenogears is cool but it's really obvious they had to make cuts in a lot of places

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

sector_corrector posted:

the pink chibi animal gets crucified like jesus

the entire cast and their robots

there's a desert submarine piloted by a man with a Butler

Solaris is one of my favorite dungeon city infiltrations to this day

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

absolutely anything posted:

xenogears is cool but it's really obvious they had to make cuts in a lot of places

honestly, with how saga and blade games turned out, I think if they had been able to do everything they wanted it might not have been as good

the dungeons described in the chair do sound cool tho

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
honestly if you like JRPGs you owe it to yourself to play xenogears, there's no part of it that makes it particularly difficult to play today and it's got a good battle system

e: except the platforming which is bad

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

I don't think perfect runs are even possible if you get a map with the crabs that drop down or up from the ceiling or floor

You can kill them

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

shove me like you do posted:

So sixty some hours into this game I figured out that if you hold R and press x or b you cycle through the enemies you're in combat with. Much easier than trying to look at them and tap R.

I do enjoy this game but drat if the mechanics aren't poorly explained.

Thats ine of the first tutorials in the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

You can kill them

I meant perfect pacifist

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every hard cut to chapter title is so epic in this game.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm saving this game for my new house so I can play it on the big screen for hours straight. Just wouldn't be as epic in portable mode.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The last chapter of this game is a rollercoaster of emotions i love that they didn't change the way battle voices work for the emotional conflicts with your party members. So after Nia brings Rex to tears confronting him about unrequited love he immediately yells LETS SHOW THEM A THING OR THREE

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I met the dude Zeke and that cutscene owned. I lol'd. I think I like anime

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
turters is my friend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Zekenator!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Zeke is cool but I can't find a spot for him in the party

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The uraya stomach with the pink trees when the glowing petals are raining down is awesome, maybe my favorite Xenoblade environment. The petals seem to be "weather" so I guess i could have gotten through without seeing it and I'm glad I didn't!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
there's an awesome archipelago that has some cool visuals, lot of good environments

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

20 hours in pyra has a boobier new outfit, and I unlocked the merc mission mechanic followed by two dozen individual notifications about missions being available

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

wait so all the random greek was originally christian and jewish stuff? why change that for a xeno game thats like, the whole point aaagh

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

What he said

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Zas posted:

wait so all the random greek was originally christian and jewish stuff? why change that for a xeno game thats like, the whole point aaagh

i neither know, nor care

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

One reason could be if the intention was for it to be something unfamiliar or exotic in the original language, but would sound commonplace to English speakers. I dunno though I'm not watching that whole video

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

probably the only worthwhile thing anyone could do with their time is listen to tim rogers talk

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

xenogears's story is completely incomprehensible evangelion fan fiction, although it being 1/2 complete can lead one to believe in a benevolent and loving god because its over sooner than it would have been if it had actually been finished. xenosaga 1-3 are probably the worst games ever made, based on my experience with 1 hour of xenosaga 1.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

xenogears's story is completely incomprehensible evangelion fan fiction, although it being 1/2 complete can lead one to believe in a benevolent and loving god because its over sooner than it would have been if it had actually been finished. xenosaga 1-3 are probably the worst games ever made, based on my experience with 1 hour of xenosaga 1.

This

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
xenosaga episode 1 was such a god drat disappointment, my first gaming disappointment, it is truly awful

xenogears has a plot that had 14 year old me writing down characters and terms during gameplay in hopes of understanding

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

probably the only worthwhile thing anyone could do with their time is listen to tim rogers talk

hes cool, i didnt know it was the guy who wrote that really long thing about mgs2 and earthbound like 15 years ago

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

anyway im at like chapter 6 and the music and environments are great and this game owns, its so ambitious and full of ridiculous poo poo that barely works

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's good as hell, the city in the end of chapter 3 feels very ffix. Apparently I unlocked the third blade slot although I don't remember the game telling me, and I only noticed because Nia's blades were off center in her character sheet.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

theres a giant box that says you can now equip three blades

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

gently caress...

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

i like this art style.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
xenogears owns

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

FactsAreUseless posted:

The red hair sewer boss should be a Blade.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i hatched agate and vale one after the other from common eggs then hatched a legendary egg and got a 2 star generic blade :eng99:

• Locked thread