Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am gonna get the IQ one for sure. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Donnerberg posted:

Anyone know if the Ubisoft store chibis become bubbleheads on shields like the regular chibis? Google couldn't help me.

I'm tempted to get the one below because of how smug it looks.

Yes they do. Or at least the Tachanka one does.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I thank you, but my wallet does not.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

lol

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I gotta ask am I breaking some weird R6 rule when im the last person alive on the team and I dont rush the objective? Just got kicked from a game even though id been positive in the last two rounds and not sure why. Its not like i wasnt pushing towards the objective but i had 2 minutes left and could maybe have picked them off if I got lucky.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

ZeusCannon posted:

I gotta ask am I breaking some weird R6 rule when im the last person alive on the team and I dont rush the objective? Just got kicked from a game even though id been positive in the last two rounds and not sure why. Its not like i wasnt pushing towards the objective but i had 2 minutes left and could maybe have picked them off if I got lucky.

This story feels like it is missing some details but solely based on what you are saying, no, there is not some rule where you suicide if you are in a 1v5 to get the action going again quicker

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ZeusCannon posted:

Some people are just lovely and don't accept anything less than a dead sprint at the objective acceptable if you're the last one alive.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

people that have high winrates more often than not use the clock wisely and in casual this means burning it to the last 30s to cheese kills

as someone said before a while back in the thread, anyone telling you how to play can be ignored. the core reason this game is so great is the flexibility in approach and variety of skills. use them how you see fit, you shouldn't be getting kicked often for playing the way you like unless it involves teamkilling people

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Anyone know if the Ubisoft store chibis become bubbleheads on shields like the regular chibis?
Yeah they do, I got the IQ one cause I'm a shameful rear end poster

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I’m finding that a lack of map knowledge of some of the more recent maps is letting my ranked games down. I didn’t play much when the theme park map and the Japanese map were new, so I never really learned them.

What do you guys think is the best, most effective method for learning maps properly?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

simply roam with Jackal/Cav imo

or IQ/Dokk if you want to use their ability to see the objective location or enemy cameras more often

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I didn't pick up on the map layouts before playing Twitch. I started by memorizing what the camera rooms looked like and then how to locate those rooms.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cameras are the one thing that still gently caress me up when navigating. By now I've got a reasonably good understanding of the map layouts, and usually know where the cameras are placed when I'm moving through the map as an attacker. But any time I'm playing defender and look through the cameras, I'll be hosed if I can place them within the map unless they're either outside or I can see myself on them. Even when I recognise the room I'm looking at just fine, I still have a hell of a time putting it in a spatial relationship to where I am.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't understand how some people are using ACOG sights on their guns.

Most of the time you're in claustrophobic close to medium range environments and the 2.5x zoom just cuts your field of view immensely.

EDIT: Incidentally, is there any kind of common knowledge when it comes to choosing gun attachments? Any parts that are considered to be objectively bad or objectively good?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: Incidentally, is there any kind of common knowledge when it comes to choosing gun attachments? Any parts that are considered to be objectively bad or objectively good?

If ACOG is available use it
Else it's up to your preference: holo has the best reticle, reflex has the less obstruction

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What about barrel attachments specifically? There are poo poo ton of them.
Are Silencers or Extended Barrels worth using?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

silencers are personal preference and if you like to be super sneaky then go for it but otherwise they reduce your DPS so they aren't for everyone

extended barrel is for if you really seriously plan on doing long range sniping, which is almost never and requires a lot of map knowledge to make it worth it

if you like to run around a lot and snapshoot your kills then use angled grip, otherwise the more stable foregrip is the preferred option for many players because you tend to slow down and line up your angles and whatnot

compensator for magdumping

the others are for personal preference and it doesn't really matter unless you plan on playing DMR

Thief fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 29, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
You'll learn to love the ACOG when people get pixel peeks on your head that you can't counter because you're using a big dumb ol' red dot sight that obscures the 2 px headshot you could've gotten

Extended barrel is useless imo. Silencer is worth it if you pull off sick flanks because it takes opfor 1-2 extra seconds to realize a guy is dumping a mag into them from the side or behind (they don't get the white indicator of where they're getting shot at) so you can wipe out 2 guys or more in one burst before they react.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

also after a certain patch some extended barrels were tested and proven to do literally nothing at all except make your gun harder to hide

idk if its still like that though

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alright, thanks everyone.
I was running Extended Barrels on all of the SMG's because I figured they'd have a strong damage falloff but if that's not the case then I guess there's no point.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
General rule of thumb for muzzle attachments: flash hider goes on 99% of guns that can take it, compensator goes on LMGs and Fuze's AK, muzzle break goes on every semi-auto gun (all DMRs and pistols).

tjones
May 13, 2005
If you like to single tap or pop on and off the trigger in small bursts the muzzle break is a better attachment for faster reticle reset.

EDIT: For non DMR rifles that is. I use it with good results on most classes that have an AR.

tjones fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 29, 2017

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mp5 posted:

This story feels like it is missing some details but solely based on what you are saying, no, there is not some rule where you suicide if you are in a 1v5 to get the action going again quicker

Thats the funny thing it really isnt. Was playing casual and first round was jackal got a kill and didnt die as we defeated opfor.

Defense round ran lesion got 2 kills including the last one v one kill when everyone else had died so we could win round.

Third round teammates grabbed jackal and hibana (which are pair im comfortable with as im new to game) so i decided to try dokka, entire team dies except me after rushing bomb point. Defuser falls to ground so i begin to move towards it but also engage an enemy and wound them so i have to change my route so they cant predict where i am since its 4 v 1. Get kicked.

Thats literally the entire story

Edit: it was casual so no one was using mics either. It was very confusing. But if its just like a knee jerk reaction by a bunch of twits. Eh thats fine. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt an unspoken rule I violated or something.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 29, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ZeusCannon posted:

Thats literally the entire story
Pubbies are tarded.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Last night I lost a buncha games. I think it's just holiday fatigue on top of playing against 16 year olds with razor sharp reflexes who aren't buzzed on leftover nog and rum during their breaks

Guess this is the 'ying' to winning like 12 straight games 'yang', why you gotta balance out universe?

Didn't get vote kicked though

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, my hands are pretty much living a life of their own, when I'm playing this game.
One moment I manage to react to a window breaking in my peripheral vision and do a sick af 90 degree twitch turn into a perfect headshot.
5 minutes later I empty my whole mag into someone right infront of me just to miss every single shot.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

WirelessPillow posted:

Discord info in the OP

The link has expired :smith:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jack Trades posted:

What about barrel attachments specifically? There are poo poo ton of them.
Are Silencers or Extended Barrels worth using?

http://i.imgur.com/u3bcxLZ.png

Here's a handy chart.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Jack Trades posted:

I don't understand how some people are using ACOG sights on their guns.

Most of the time you're in claustrophobic close to medium range environments and the 2.5x zoom just cuts your field of view immensely.

usually if you're in a situation where you need to scan around a wide open area you messed up; you should be trying to hold angles and places where people can only come from certain directions, so the field of view doesn't make much difference.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Koramei posted:

usually if you're in a situation where you need to scan around a wide open area you messed up; you should be trying to hold angles and places where people can only come from certain directions, so the field of view doesn't make much difference.

That explains a lot.
It would require good map knowledge though so I think I'll hold off on using ACOGs until I'm less clueless about what's going on.
Thanks, it should really be in OP.
(unless it already is and I just missed it.)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of karma. Dude comes into game cant pick an op so he gets stuck as recruit. Team immediately begins vote to kick and im like eh that shits stupid and i still feel bad for getting kicked before so I vote no (and enough people just dont vote) and he stays. Through out whole first round someone keeps spamming to kick him so i keep voting no.

Dude ends up MVPing the match after being afk for like 2 minutes in first round. So while it wasnt karma for me per se it did make me smile.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Soggy Chips posted:

The link has expired :smith:

Here you go:

https://discord.gg/MCQvh79

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
If you want to find out which muzzle attachment is the best for a specific gun you need to test both the flash hider and compensator yourself to see which works best with how you handle the recoil and the burst sizes you use. It's not going to be muzzle break for any non semi-auto gun or the extended barrel for pretty much any gun.
What you don't want to do is just trust someone dumping two mags into a wall and still drawing the wrong conclusion based on the results.

Personally I wouldn't use a silencer on any gun as a defender. On attack it works for guns which have too high recoil to mag dump into people and forces you to solely go for headshots, the logic being that the slower they react to you missing their head the better. (The FAMAS is the prime example)

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Wooper posted:

Personally I wouldn't use a silencer on any gun as a defender.

It is great if you are playing a roamer.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Why?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In my experience you roam real quiet and when you see a couple ahead it allows the ambush to go quicker and gives you leeway on missed shots same as attacking.

Edit: but i super suck so grain of salt

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Because your SMG doesn't do a ton of damage so it's nice to not have your target immediately 180 and blast you if you miss a low percentage shot at his head.

Especially for Cav where not drawing attention is important to getting an interrogate off.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, the Shock Drone does 10 damage per shot.

nope, not if you just quit as soon as you see one

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because your SMG doesn't do a ton of damage so it's nice to not have your target immediately 180 and blast you if you miss a low percentage shot at his head.

Especially for Cav where not drawing attention is important to getting an interrogate off.

Cav kinda needs her shotgun for hatches though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah I personally prefer suppressors on my roamers. Usually the attackers already outgun you, so you might as well take the tactical advantage of taking shots from the flank or behind without the target's friends realizing which way you're shooting from. I used to think they were crap but not having the "you're being shot at!!" circle appear at the bottom of the screen is a game-changer if the opfor is caught by surprise and they need to figure out where you are first.

• Locked thread