Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
One of the models for Houston is showing it could get down to 6 degrees f on Tuesday, the lowest recorded temperature being 5f in like 1933.

Flooding was whatever but apparently pipes freezing is a thing? I don't have anything warmer than demin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

My wife is saying something about Long John's but I'm really not in the mood for fast food popcorn shrimp right now honey

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

BlindSite posted:

Yeah... but it's easy 100 degrees and water boils
0 degrees it freezes.

Celsius owns.

Which kinda makes me wonder. Is there any plan for the us to switch to metric ever?

They tried once but it cost too much to switch all the signs. There are still a few signs in California that use both metric and imperial.

It's definitely not an education issue because everyone already learns both in school.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ronald Reagan killed the US Metric conversion because of course he did.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Celsius is great for science reasons, but Fahrenheit more accurately represents the range of temperatures humans are likely to experience on a scale from 0 to 100. Its much more intuitive in that sense. Even in the hospital, temperatures are usually recorded in F.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Watched Bright with my wife. It was fine. Entertaining, even.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite posted:

Which kinda makes me wonder. Is there any plan for the us to switch to metric ever?

Lol

Blitz7x posted:

One of the models for Houston is showing it could get down to 6 degrees f on Tuesday, the lowest recorded temperature being 5f in like 1933.

Flooding was whatever but apparently pipes freezing is a thing? I don't have anything warmer than demin

Yeah, see if you can find those styrofoam things to put on your outside faucets. It'll keep your pipes from bursting.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I dunno why we can't use both Fahrenheit and Celsius. 0 to 100 in Fahrenheit is -17 to 37 in celsius, which only gives a spectrum of 54 ways to describe average weather compared to 100 that Fahrenheit provides. Plus, describing cold but manageable weather as 0 degrees Celsius is just weird. A 0 degree temp should illicit an "oh poo poo it's cold" reaction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I dunno why we can't use both Fahrenheit and Celsius. 0 to 100 in Fahrenheit is -17 to 37 in celsius, which only gives a spectrum of 54 ways to describe average weather compared to 100 that Fahrenheit provides.

we could use decimal places

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

Celsius is great for science reasons, but Fahrenheit more accurately represents the range of temperatures humans are likely to experience on a scale from 0 to 100. Its much more intuitive in that sense. Even in the hospital, temperatures are usually recorded in F.

Yeah, fair point. I'm pretty sure out here they use celcius to 2 decimal places in obs.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's definitely not an education issue because everyone already learns both in school.

I didn't realise that, come to think of it we learned feet and inches too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also at this point with so little poo poo manufactured in the US and a lot of crap made to satisft Canada+Us in a single package switching to metric would have a negligible cost for most businesses in the US beyond switching what items they import.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

use Kelvin imo.

It's 270 K outside in Asheville!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

If it's going to get that cold, go to your sink and leave a tiny drip going out of your hot / cold feeds.

That should keep it moving enough in your pipes to prevent it from freezing hopefully.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

If it's going to get that cold, go to your sink and leave a tiny drip going out of your hot / cold feeds.

That should keep it moving enough in your pipes to prevent it from freezing hopefully.

This for all of your faucets plus opening cabinets under your sink to allow relatively warm air in just in case (it probably doesn't matter) if applicable should take care of things. Unless it gets way more insane than I imagine it will in Houston.

It'll be a balmy 35 around here today before getting back to 12 for a high tomorrow.

e: Christ and a high of 7 on Sunday/Monday.

SA2K this is the type of cold I wouldn't make fun of you complaining about for the record.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 29, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It's been repeated several times but when Ross visited me in Chicago in November of 2011 he was dressed in layers. It was in the 50s.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I found someone who doesn't give a gently caress about your so-called "cold weather" bitching.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My grandparents lost heat overnight. gently caress

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

sean10mm posted:

I found someone who doesn't give a gently caress about your so-called "cold weather" bitching.

Hahahaha yeah that cat sure doesn't give a gently caress about anything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

pubic works project posted:

Hahahaha yeah that cat sure doesn't give a gently caress about anything.

I mean: it's a cat.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

An orc captain lost an arena fight, somehow escaped death and came back to me with an axe sticking out of his head and all he can say now is "I tried, I tried...*mumble* i tried" while crying

What the hell is this game

Game of the year

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

Ronald Reagan killed the US Metric conversion because of course he did.

Not true. Literally every attempt was entirely voluntary. America shot itself in the foot each time.

BlindSite posted:

I didn't realise that, come to think of it we learned feet and inches too.

The Panthers are never making a Super Bowl for the rest of your life.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Blitz7x posted:

An orc captain lost an arena fight, somehow escaped death and came back to me with an axe sticking out of his head and all he can say now is "I tried, I tried...*mumble* i tried" while crying

Game of the year

Is it actually good though? I read a few reviews that said it’s really repetitive.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Blitz7x posted:

Game of the year

Hahahaha that is loving awesome.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Is it actually good though? I read a few reviews that said it’s really repetitive.

Yeah it can be repetitive, but I still find it a helluva lot of fun. The interactions with the orc captains are the best.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Sean_Breslin/status/946050346836733952
https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/946723162099765248

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It’s the most fun I’ve ever had with a game.

You can find a peeing orc and attack him with poisonous spiders.

“They’re in my knickers!” he’ll scream as he dies.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Why you gotta do this to me, SoCal

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Should I still grab Shadow if War if I wasn’t big on Shadow if Mordor? It was okay for a little bit, but it felt super repetitive after the first two hours or so, I just didn’t feel a ton of depth to it. In fairness I’ve never met an Assassins Creed game I enjoyed, and while I enjoy Far Cry it may be that stealth-action games generally aren’t for me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Thaddius the Large posted:

Should I still grab Shadow if War if I wasn’t big on Shadow if Mordor? It was okay for a little bit, but it felt super repetitive after the first two hours or so, I just didn’t feel a ton of depth to it. In fairness I’ve never met an Assassins Creed game I enjoyed, and while I enjoy Far Cry it may be that stealth-action games generally aren’t for me.

Probably not, but if you want to Redbox it for a day or two you'd enjoy it.

The best? part of SoW is that you're a straight up serial killer. They really don't make the protagonist seem like anything but a psychopath.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah shadow of Mordor had a revenge storyline.

War is just kill them all and let god sort it out.

And it rules.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

There are plenty of QoL improvements from SoM, and where the first game used the nemesis system as a flavoring the developers realized that the nemesis system rules and use it as a base in SoW which rules.

Every game should have the nemesis system

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

When the water overtakes Miami, all that heat will make for a pleasant hot tub experience right outside your houseboat.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Blitz7x posted:

There are plenty of QoL improvements from SoM, and where the first game used the nemesis system as a flavoring the developers realized that the nemesis system rules and use it as a base in SoW which rules.

Every game should have the nemesis system

Couldn't agree more. I would love the nemesis system in a game with a great story.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/946728546633953285

When you understand how the government works

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
He doesn't realize it's actually United States Postal Service

So Presidential. Bigly

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Does he realize that the usps turns a profit and managed to find all of their employee pension strategies with that?

Lol of course not.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
it’s not about the USPS, it’s about Jeff Bezos/Washington Post.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

No Butt Stuff posted:

Does he realize that the usps turns a profit and managed to find all of their employee pension strategies with that?

Lol of course not.

Does he realize is always no

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

No Butt Stuff posted:

Lol of course not.

Wasn't the whole thing about the USPS going broke caused by republicans who kept increasing the number of years in advance the employee pensions needed to be funded so they could then point and say "look how the post office is failing"?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intruder posted:

Wasn't the whole thing about the USPS going broke caused by republicans who kept increasing the number of years in advance the employee pensions needed to be funded so they could then point and say "look how the post office is failing"?

They had to provide money for pensions for people not even hired yet, but were unable to raise rates to fund said pensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

How the hell did I fall into this timeline and how do I get out

• Locked thread