Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Okay apparently y'all are having a real hard time with this so I'll explain further: You can talk to someone without using their name. You can also talk to someone by starting the conversation with an introduction, which will be reciprocated. Both of these are acceptable in a number of situations depending on context. In no situation is it acceptable to come up to someone, look at their name tag/name plate/stand of business cards and go "Yawg, I need to speak with Billy, can you get him for me Yawg? Thanks Yawg" because that earns my eternal enmity. If you do this to anyone you need to stop. It is the douchebaggest thing and instantly outs you as a person with a dozen "how to manipulate people" books.
That's Mr. Bombadil to you. :colbert:

The lovely thing is that is a technique "effective communicators" teach, Yawgmoth. See, Yawgmoth, people like to hear their names. So you use them often to keep them paying attention. See how it works, Yawgmoth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

"I don't understand what I'm looking at here"

It's literally 2 PDF contact sheets of pictures: one the set that the artist has approved, and one that we asked the artist for but they have not yet approved.

"Why can't we use all of [the series of photos that made this artist famous 30 years ago]?"
Because the artist doesn't want to be defined by those and has new work she wants us to promote?

But the new work isn't easily accessible on a single glance by the lowest common denominator so marketing director doesn't know how to do that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Samizdata posted:

The lovely thing is that is a technique "effective communicators" teach, Yawgmoth. See, Yawgmoth, people like to hear their names. So you use them often to keep them paying attention. See how it works, Yawgmoth?

If you work in a customer service role for a company big enough to have standardized customer interaction evaluations and scoring designed by assholes such as gallup, Yawgmoth, they beat it into you that you MUST use the customer's name at least twice in each interaction Yawgmoth. Then you individual branch/store manager will decide that since twice is to be sure they hear their name since they might miss it once, you should ACTUALLY say it 3 times because what if the scorer misses it once and marks you down Yawgmoth? Then they compliment you more the more times they hear it, and here we are Yawgmoth using it FOUR times in this paragraph because we don't want to get in trouble. And, Yawgmoth, who really gives a poo poo if it weirds the customer out? Gallup HAS DATA that shows when they hear their name, they pay more attention, Yawgmoth.

This is also the source of anything less than 100% on a customer service score being a failing grade, by the way. gently caress GALLUP.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's also LITERALLY just jokingly bad advice from MBMBAM

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
It's also legitimately good way to learn and retain the name of someone when you meet them for the first time, for those of us who are bad with names (which is literally everyone who doesn't actively do things to remember names).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Che Delilas posted:

It's also legitimately good way to learn and retain the name of someone when you meet them for the first time, for those of us who are bad with names (which is literally everyone who doesn't actively do things to remember names).

So is leaning across and writing their name in sharpie on their forehead.

It might work well, but you'll irritate the hell out of them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A stranger calling or visiting and using my name 3 times in 15 seconds is one of the two failproof identifiers of a salesperson who sucks at their job. The other is calling me and opening with "How are you?"

The impulse to ridicule them is always strong, but I don't want to risk accidentally alerting them that they suck at sales and provoking them to get better at it. It's a huge timesaver when someone tips you off three seconds into the interaction that they're about to try to sell you something you don't want.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s super common sales and customer service advice because for like 90% of people it works, and the people it doesn’t work for are computer janitors / goons who will get mad if you make eye contact with them.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s super common sales and customer service advice because for like 90% of people it works, and the people it doesn’t work for are computer janitors / goons who will get mad if you make eye contact with them.

for sure dude, only a total neckbeard would be weirded out by someone trying to do the business version of The Mystery Method™ on them

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

fits my needs posted:

As a long-time lurker, I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Hey! I suggested a few pages ago that bonuses this year may in part be better because of the tax bill. I think I said that.

Anyway, if Trump the US prez says that why I got a good bonus, it must be true!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It comes from Dale Carnegie, although I think it's mainly people misreading it, or just being so unnatural at it that they overcompensate. Honestly most of what he wrote is relatively good advice. I naturally came to a lot of it through experience, as a non-sales person - the gist of it is don't be an rear end in a top hat. Although if you literally slave over all of the points, you'll come off as being a pod person.

I'll contrast that with Keith Ferrazzi (from Never Eat Alone), who comes off as a social climbing sociopath who values people purely transactionally and wouldn't hesitate at stepping over anyone to get what he wants. When I see people recommend that book, it makes me think they either haven't read it, or are Patrick Bateman wannabes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I eat alone all the time and it's great.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I go out of my way not to eat with coworkers. Lunch is when I recharge my social batteries.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I eat lunch alone all the time and it's great.

FrozenVent posted:

I go out of my way not to eat with coworkers. Lunch is when I recharge my social batteries.

Same here.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The best part of working from home is that I never have to get into a twenty minute debate with coworkers over where to go eat for lunch.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I want to eat with my coworkers but as soon as I start microwaving my fish everyone leaves.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Microwave them some popcorn before you start microwaving your fish. That should do it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Throw some cat food in there

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

I want to eat with my coworkers but as soon as I start microwaving my fish everyone leaves.

Does your break room have a toaster oven or oven? Why just flash cook the fish when you can slowly heat it up over an entire lunch hour and just saturate the entire building with fish smell?

Fil5000 posted:

Microwave them some popcorn before you start microwaving your fish. That should do it.

This too, but make sure you microwave it for too long so it burns. Gotta do it right.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Higgy posted:

Why just flash cook the fish when you can slowly heat it up over an entire lunch hour and just saturate the entire building with fish smell?

Why stop at an hour? We had a guy who kept a slow cooker in the breakroom and put his fish on at 9am

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
to make sure my lutefisk is ready for christmas dinner, I generally start soaking it in my office around the first week of december

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Why stop at an hour? We had a guy who kept a slow cooker in the breakroom and put his fish on at 9am

When was he brutally murdered and why did you do it?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Higgy posted:

When was he brutally murdered and why did you do it?

You mean, how did you cook the body?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Woe unto those who intrude on my Hour of Solitude.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm night shift, I don't have any coworkers around to eat with :smug:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Just got my transfer to a different department! 10% raise, and I no longer have to answer questions from customers. Best Christmas Ever!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Eric the Mauve posted:

A stranger calling or visiting and using my name 3 times in 15 seconds is one of the two failproof identifiers of a salesperson who sucks at their job. The other is calling me and opening with "How are you?"

The impulse to ridicule them is always strong, but I don't want to risk accidentally alerting them that they suck at sales and provoking them to get better at it. It's a huge timesaver when someone tips you off three seconds into the interaction that they're about to try to sell you something you don't want.
This is also true. Asking how I'm doing doesn't bother me (unless the answer is "busy" and am being interrupted by cold calls) but yeah it's a total giveaway that the other person is on his first week in a sales position.

I had a guy come in last week for some staffing company who was just adamant about meeting "the person in charge of staffing decisions" which is an even better indicator of a person who doesn't know what they're doing. If you don't know the name of the person you need to talk to, you don't get to talk to them. Ever. If you then start rifling through the rack of cards and just blindly guessing at who you should talk to, you really don't get to talk to anyone! But I'll let those people know you stopped by (so they know to never use your company for anything, of course).

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
We had a guy from staffing agency show up for 4 weeks straight just dropping off boxes of donuts, not Dunkin or Krispy Kreme either, the local fancy ones.

I don't think anyone ever game him the time of day, and there's actually a good lesson here. We are the worst goddamn company for vendors to do business with, everyone is seduced by Fortune 500 status, when they don't realize we have no budget for everything, all of that profit goes back to capex or the dividend.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
On this, the day there are like 10 people in the office, someone microwaves fish for lunch.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hoshi posted:

On this, the day there are like 10 people in the office, someone microwaves fish for lunch.

Well, on the bright side that means you only have nine people to murder.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

paragon1 posted:

Well, on the bright side that means you only have nine people to murder.

I'm not saying to commit murder.

I'm also NOT saying to not commit murder.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hoshi posted:

This is pretty much a Murder on the Orient Express situation. You and the nine people that didn't microwave fish know what you need to do.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Higgy posted:

I'm not saying to commit murder.

I'm also NOT saying to not commit murder.

Please do the needfull

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tnuctip posted:

Please do the needfull

Please revert (the fishy staff).

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
While we're talking about murdering people, is it justifiable to murder the guy who insists on listening to music and random youtube videos with the sound on and no headphones?

He doesn't even do us all the minimum courtesy of providing consistent annoying background music. It stops and starts without warning.

He also knocks on the cubicle walls as he passes my cube to get to his, which hasn't been covered in this thread, but feels like it is also rude.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Commissar Kayla posted:

While we're talking about murdering people, is it justifiable to murder the guy who insists on listening to music and random youtube videos with the sound on and no headphones?

He doesn't even do us all the minimum courtesy of providing consistent annoying background music. It stops and starts without warning.

I mean I do this, but only in my home office. If I had to be near coworkers I would use headphones so that I couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear me.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Commissar Kayla posted:

He also knocks on the cubicle walls as he passes my cube to get to his, which hasn't been covered in this thread, but feels like it is also rude.

Follow him and ask what is up. "You knocked, did you not? So somehow you must want me to do something for you."

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

therobit posted:

I mean I do this, but only in my home office. If I had to be near coworkers I would use headphones so that I couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear me.

That is because you are not a monster. I also listen to annoying random poo poo at home, but that's what home is for.

Keetron posted:

Follow him and ask what is up. "You knocked, did you not? So somehow you must want me to do something for you."

It's less like a proper knock, and more like a quick rapping on the cubicle next to my head.

He also makes those terrible not-jokes where he pretends to make some kind of awkward assumption or lies about something ridiculous.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So why do you want to stay in Norway if it is so lovely then?