Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

It's weird that for years I told myself that Attack was a good movie, given that I watched it a bunch of times. Admittedly, there is good stuff in there, but that whole third act is just noise. Watching the trilogy again though I've come to appreciate McGregor in it all. He's one of the few actors who come away unscathed.

McGregor sleepwalks through the first prequel like everyone else. The later two are a brave attempt at acting while saying terrible lines in a CGI vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Again, the Star Wars prequels have much more practical effects than you think.
https://makezine.com/2015/10/07/the-surprising-practical-effects-of-the-star-wars-prequels/

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

YTOTD is the intro to The Pest. I'm sorry. You're welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB8dNMoXZ0

I’m assuming why you’re posting this and will up the ante with a SoundCloud of the day, 45 minutes of Paul Stanley Stage Banter

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://makezine.com/2015/10/07/the-surprising-practical-effects-of-the-star-wars-prequels/

Goddamn I have no idea how many times this exact conversation has happened in here.

bows1 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 29, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m assuming why you’re posting this and will up the ante with a SoundCloud of the day, 45 minutes of Paul Stanley Stage Banter

TORONTO

Y'all want a Yahoo?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

Goddamn I have no idea how many times this exact conversation have happened in here.

Believe it or not, the prequels actually had no practical effects at all

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I really feel like people grasp at straws for quality in those movies. Like sure, McGregor is trying to pull his weight, most of the actors are trying but the material is so awful and they've been directed so poorly. What the hell were Lucas' directions to Samuel L Jackson? To be as stoic and boring and dead as possible? Christopher Lee is maybe the only one who's able to instill any life in his character but even then it's the type of role he played literally a hundred times before and it's far from his best turn at it.

Admittedly, Attack of the Clones is shot better than Phantom Menace, which isn't saying much but it's got a few moments of actual quality shot composition (it was shocking to see some natural light for once, during funny enough the Sand Line) whereas Phantom Menace is just a total embarrassment coming from a veteran filmmaker with an effectively unlimited budget and access to the finest talent in Hollywood. However, Attack of the Clones' screenplay is completely nonsensical, nothing makes sense, and any momentum it had drops to a standstill about an hour into the movie, leaving you begging for release by the end.

Y'all can try to find the shining moments of quality, but it's like the Worst Idea of All Time dudes trying to find the light in Grown Ups 2. They're just godawful, embarrassing, racist, boring, hideous pieces of poo poo and if they didn't have the Star Wars IP attached to them they would have been completely forgotten bargain bin multi-pack features by now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TrixRabbi posted:

I really feel like people grasp at straws for quality in those movies. Like sure, McGregor is trying to pull his weight, most of the actors are trying but the material is so awful and they've been directed so poorly. What the hell were Lucas' directions to Samuel L Jackson? To be as stoic and boring and dead as possible? Christopher Lee is maybe the only one who's able to instill any life in his character but even then it's the type of role he played literally a hundred times before and it's far from his best turn at it.

Admittedly, Attack of the Clones is shot better than Phantom Menace, which isn't saying much but it's got a few moments of actual quality shot composition (it was shocking to see some natural light for once, during funny enough the Sand Line) whereas Phantom Menace is just a total embarrassment coming from a veteran filmmaker with an effectively unlimited budget and access to the finest talent in Hollywood. However, Attack of the Clones' screenplay is completely nonsensical, nothing makes sense, and any momentum it had drops to a standstill about an hour into the movie, leaving you begging for release by the end.

Y'all can try to find the shining moments of quality, but it's like the Worst Idea of All Time dudes trying to find the light in Grown Ups 2. They're just godawful, embarrassing, racist, boring, hideous pieces of poo poo and if they didn't have the Star Wars IP attached to them they would have been completely forgotten bargain bin multi-pack features by now.

Heartily agreed. I saw TPM and AotC and that was enough. They are terrible films.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It doesn't matter what tools were used, the point is that they were used badly and/or in service to a bad end.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Yeah all I remember is disappointment walking out of those theaters when I was a kid. No need to revisit.

However i haven't seen Return of The Jedi in QUITE some time, not sure If I should re-watch or not. I honestly can't remember anything that happens except the bike race in the woods and the ceremony at the end

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

therattle posted:

It doesn't matter what tools were used, the point is that they were used badly and/or in service to a bad end.

Wrong.

Prequel hating has become the Olympics for goal post moving.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

Yeah all I remember is disappointment walking out of those theaters when I was a kid. No need to revisit.

However i haven't seen Return of The Jedi in QUITE some time, not sure If I should re-watch or not. I honestly can't remember anything that happens except the bike race in the woods and the ceremony at the end

It's the worst of the trilogy but at this point it's underrated since everyone wants to be the first to call every crappy new Star Wars movie "The Best Since Empire"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

bows1 posted:

Return of the Jedi has some really cool stuff, and is bookended really well, it’s just that the middle act just stops the movie dead in its tracks while it was building up to the final battle of the whole trilogy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my Star Wars ranking:

1. that video of Evan MacGregor learning the title of Attack of the Clones
2. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
3. Ewoks: Caravan of Courage

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Amoeba Records in Los Angeles wants 50 bucks for the loving Ewoks DVD. :stare:

I bought it back when it first came out for :10bux:.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TrixRabbi posted:

Welcome to CD, may I suggest going into any of DC Movie threads next?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

The Amoeba Records in Los Angeles wants 50 bucks for the loving Ewoks DVD. :stare:

they recognize quality

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Davros1 posted:

Welcome to CD, may I suggest going into any of DC Movie threads next?

Hahaha I'd rather die

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Shut up about the prequels and watch World of Tomorrow Part 2 you fuckers

tia

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have to choose between All the Money in the World, Jumanji, and the The Disaster Artist.

Or I think I’ll chuck them all and see “Tiger Zinda Hai” the Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif sequel to smash Ekh Tha Tiger.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

Shut up about the prequels and watch World of Tomorrow Part 2 you fuckers

tia

Oh, it's out?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Actually stop watching whatever your doing and watch this now
https://twitter.com/donhertzfeldt/status/946607180077240320

Jesus christ it's so loving good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is no Batista Bomb in Bushwick (2017).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wrong.

Prequel hating has become the Olympics for goal post moving.

Goal post moving? What do you mean? I hated them the first time I saw them when they came out, so my goalposts haven't shifted.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Denis Villeneuve has confirmed that he was offered Bond 25 (he was Craig's choice, and Craig has veto power over the director), but declined because Legendary has stepped up to actually finance Dune.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No but you see you hate George Lucas! He never gets any credit and nerds are trying to bury his legacy!!!!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The general pattern in the Star Wars thread is
"I hate the Prequels because of X."
Someone posts evidence that they are wrong about X.
"Well I still have it because Y."
Someone posts evidence that they are wrong about Y.
"Well I still hate it."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Denis Villeneuve has confirmed that he was offered Bond 25 (he was Craig's choice, and Craig has veto power over the director), but declined because Legendary has stepped up to actually finance Dune.

What an incredible turn of events.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How many opportunities did he have to set it up?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The arugment tends to be that ti's ugly because it's all CGi and then it's pointed out that it's not all CGi which is great but doesn't really change the fact that it's ugly. Like it's an argument that only really changes anything if the problem was that it was CGi rather than it being ugly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

The general pattern in the Star Wars thread is
"I hate the Prequels because of X."
Someone posts evidence that they are wrong about X.
"Well I still have it because Y."
Someone posts evidence that they are wrong about Y.
"Well I still hate it."

How about this, the prequels for me are very dull films overall because of how boringly they’re shot, and how weird a lot of the compositing is, and to top it off, the acting and dialog is so flat and lifeless. It’s like a fan film.

Good story tho.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

How many opportunities did he have to set it up?

He never even makes a move to tuck anyone's head between his legs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I liked Bushwick but at this point the only things I really recall are how sloppily it tries to adhere to it's gimmick, that one scene with the hasidim and how good Aesop Rock's score is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't hate the prequels I just don't think their very good or fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I liked Bushwick but at this point the only things I really recall are how sloppily it tries to adhere to it's gimmick, that one scene with the hasidim and how good Aesop Rock's score is.

Yeah the part with the Hasidiim is really funny except there's no drat way they'd be fighting against a right-wing reactionary militia.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't hate the prequels I just don't think their very good or fun moments gel with the inherent cynicism of the modern internet audience's meme influenced attention span.

I finished that thought for you.

Prequels are good yo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the prequels are bad, but prequel memes, they're very good

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the prequels are bad, but prequel memes, they're very good

Actually, the opposite interpretation is true.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

liking the prequels is one thing but disliking prequel memes is hosed up

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That's also a prequel meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

How about this, the prequels for me are very dull films overall because of how boringly they’re shot, and how weird a lot of the compositing is, and to top it off, the acting and dialog is so flat and lifeless. It’s like a fan film.

Good story tho.

• Locked thread