Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BurtLington posted:

I posted here a few months ago about getting into hockey and skating, thought I’d give y’all an update.

I’ve been taken basic skating lessons once a week for about 10 weeks now, and can do a basic snowplow stop on my right foot (my strongest). Still working on my left foot, but I noticed I walk on the inside of my left heel, so it’s screwing me over a little.

Been stick and puck a few times too and my buddy helped me buy some second hand gear that’s apparently good.

Lastly I signed up to a beginner hockey class with a few friends. It’s designed to people who have no idea how to play/skate so it should be fun.

Hockey is hard, but god drat it’s the best sport in the world :toot:

Nice. Keep with it. Hockey is worth the effort :toot:

Learning to do things on your off foot is hard even for people who have been skating for years. You just kinda have to keep trying and trust it. Eventually it will click for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Understanding that one of your feet is dominant and the other is weaker is probably half the battle. Lots of new skaters have no idea they can't stop on their right foot or whatever.

Keep at it, keep focusing on your weaker foot, it'll get better. Even really good skaters have a strong side and a weak side.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm a righty, but I'm much better at stopping on my left side for some reason. I'm also much better at crossovers turning to the left, but that's probably because open skate goes counter-clockwise 90% of the times I'm there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My impression is that stick handedness influences which foot is your strong foot, as the posture you hold when carrying a stick sets you up to favor one foot over the other.

Like with stopping, hold your stick one handed opposite where it normally is. I bet your "weak" foot will start to feel stronger.

Or if you really want to gently caress with your head, try practicing with no stick or carry your stick on the opposite side, it's gonna feel alien.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chemmy posted:

Understanding that one of your feet is dominant and the other is weaker is probably half the battle. Lots of new skaters have no idea they can't stop on their right foot or whatever.

Keep at it, keep focusing on your weaker foot, it'll get better. Even really good skaters have a strong side and a weak side.

My first year or two of skating as a kid I'd drag my left foot behind me.

xzzy posted:

My impression is that stick handedness influences which foot is your strong foot, as the posture you hold when carrying a stick sets you up to favor one foot over the other.

Like with stopping, hold your stick one handed opposite where it normally is. I bet your "weak" foot will start to feel stronger.

Or if you really want to gently caress with your head, try practicing with no stick or carry your stick on the opposite side, it's gonna feel alien.

It's going to mostly likely follow how you are with other sports. Which foot do you favor when kicking a soccer ball? That's probably going to be your dominant foot for hockey as well.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm the opposite, in soccer I can't do poo poo with my left foot but it's my dominant foot for hockey. It also may be due to an old knee injury on my right knee that I favor it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I learned how to stop facing right by using the outside edge of my right blade before my left foot. That’s how bad I had to fake it before I learned.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We're doing some private power skating lessons tomorrow afternoon and again on Friday. Are there any skills or techniques in general that I should ask about? I was thinking maybe some outside edge drills, or pivot and transition stuff. We can do whatever though and I want to get the most of having a small class (just 7 of us and a coach)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been skating for forever and I have a hard time doing a hockey stop where BOTH feet dig in at the same time. I am perfectly fine stopping on either foot, but the other foot is slightly off the ice at that point. Doesn't seem to happen when I'm in goal though, probably since I don't do a lot of extreme speed stops.

Bought myself a new pair of CCM 44k skates, finally fit to my stupid EE feet. Really comfortable, though there are still two areas that put pressure on my ankle bone and the .. bone.. joint.. where the pinky toe connects to your foot. I don't know, I'm not a doctor :| ..

I'm thinking about asking them to punch out the pinky area but the ankle area is where the skate pump thing is so I'm not sure they can do a lot of punching out there. Pumping the skate up doesn't seem to do much so idk. It's still heads and shoulders above my last pair of skates where I was in agony after fifteen minutes on the ice. Now after half an hour I'm kind of like "eh, I can kind of feel it rubbing there and it's a little annoying" but no actual PAIN pain.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 27, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pinky toe thing sounds familiar to what I got, the only thing that worked for me was not lacing the forefoot as tightly. I basically take the slack out of the laces and that's it. A punch didn't help but that could be because the guy that did it for me was a doofus and put it in the wrong spot.

No idea on the ankle issue!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll try loosening it a little more and go to punch if it's still annoying me in a month or so. It's not a big deal though, since it's still so much better than before :)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Martytoof posted:

I'll try loosening it a little more and go to punch if it's still annoying me in a month or so. It's not a big deal though, since it's still so much better than before :)

Its tough if its the section where the toe box meets the rest of the skate body, its not really an area that can be punched very well if at all.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Sorry if I missed some advice from a previous page. I intended to do roller hockey a long time ago, but never really got into it. I have a buddy who plays ice hockey, and I’m thinking about starting again and give it a real go.

Here’s my concern. My feet have constantly hurt in a skate. The last (roller) skates I got, I got a decent pair, but my arches would cramp so bad in them. I tried skating through it, but I’d have to go to the bench and take off the skate for a bit.

Is that normal and just “suck it up and keep skating?” Did I get a pair that just didn’t fit me right? What can I look for in a skate to not make me want to fall down in pain?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Get some Superfeet insoles. They’ll also improve performance, but don’t use them for that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mrbass21 posted:

Sorry if I missed some advice from a previous page. I intended to do roller hockey a long time ago, but never really got into it. I have a buddy who plays ice hockey, and I’m thinking about starting again and give it a real go.

Here’s my concern. My feet have constantly hurt in a skate. The last (roller) skates I got, I got a decent pair, but my arches would cramp so bad in them. I tried skating through it, but I’d have to go to the bench and take off the skate for a bit.

Is that normal and just “suck it up and keep skating?” Did I get a pair that just didn’t fit me right? What can I look for in a skate to not make me want to fall down in pain?

It's hard to say. It could be that the skates don't fit well. You might consider trying a different brand/pair. They might not be broken in enough yet either. How many times have you skated on them?

You might also consider tying your skates a little looser. If you tie them too tightly your feet are going to hurt. That said, be careful because you don't want them too loose either or you'll hurt yourself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, arch pain can be dealt with using insoles.

Adjusting lace tightness can be a secondary adjustment, don't winch down so hard on the top of your foot so you aren't forcing your arch to flatten.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

It's hard to say. It could be that the skates don't fit well. You might consider trying a different brand/pair. They might not be broken in enough yet either. How many times have you skated on them?

You might also consider tying your skates a little looser. If you tie them too tightly your feet are going to hurt. That said, be careful because you don't want them too loose either or you'll hurt yourself.

Not a whole lot. About 6-7 sessions of practicing in a parking lot for an hour or so, wore them around the house a lot to try and get them to form to my foot, and I only went to one beginner session before I stopped going.

My buddy’s said he had that problem too and he’s going to work with me on my laces. I personally think it was a “keep skating, and build muscle” problem.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Yeah, arch pain can be dealt with using insoles.

Adjusting lace tightness can be a secondary adjustment, don't winch down so hard on the top of your foot so you aren't forcing your arch to flatten.

I have no idea what type of special insoles they have for skates as I've fortunately never had pain when skating but I hike sometimes too and I got terrible pain wearing boots until I put some gels in there and now there is next to no pain. It was incredible what a difference they made.

So special insoles for skates might very well be your best bet. I've never tried them so don't know what to expect in terms of comfort with them.

^^ If you've only skated 6-7 times the skates might still be being broken in. But I might still consider insoles anyways if the pain is that bad for you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the skates are heat formed, there's pretty much zero break in period.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Are Superfeet Yellows still the go-to for hockey insoles?

In other news since I started using Easton Mako skates I havent needed insoles.

I played a drop in on Wednesday with a group of friends and all the college kids were home for the holidays, there was 5 or 6 guys out that were really good, turned in to a fun skate.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Hey Titanium, that 1x chesty you were talking about maybe selling in that latest video, what size is it?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had this weird thing where I could stop better on my left side, but since I started playing goal it's changed and I stop easier on my right. It's easier for me to get up from the butterfly with my left leg though. Hockey is weird like that I guess.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Tried to pass cross crease and the opposing d man tipped it into their net. Booya second goal of the week! When it rains it pours baby

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I love when that happens when you’re behind the goal line. Either bounce it off a D mans skate, or the back of the goalie. Own goals own.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I love when that happens when you’re behind the goal line. Either bounce it off a D mans skate, or the back of the goalie. Own goals own.

The other week I kind of had two of those off the same Defenseman. One I was trying to pass it across the slot and he redirected it perfectly 5-hole. The other wasn't necessarily an own goal but his fault. He was behind the net and I was forechecking. He tried to send a pass basically through me and it hit me directly in the shin pads and deflected into the net just inside the right post. Kind of the goalie's fault too, typically goalies defend the posts even when their own team has the puck but I don't know what the guy was thinking. Throwing the puck basically anywhere else would have been a better decision. Better to be lucky than good.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Best own goal we had was from one of our defenseman, had a faceoff in our zone which we won back to the d man behind our center. He tried to clear it around the boards behind the net with a hard slap shot and ended up going bar down over our goalies shoulder. Also had one of our first goalies playing the puck outside the net and tried to do something similar and ended up whiffing and dribbling it into the empty net.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I tried out my new pair of skates (CCM Ribcor I believe) and one of those blue magic feet insoles and wow, what a difference they’ve made.

Previously I was using pre-owned pair of skates, and I guess they just weren’t tight enough around my ankle, or maybe it’s a placebo but I can now do a full on hockey stop on my right side. Feels great considering a couple of weeks ago I could only just about manage a snowplow :toot:

Still working on my left side, but it’s getting there, just need to build up some muscle there.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Worst own goal I've ever seen. Semi finals of the playoffs. 5 on 3 powerplay. Our wing passes it to the d man from the corner, d man misses it on a bounce... our goalie comes out to play it, trips, falls... and misses the puck... and watches it go into the net down on his stomach. This was a couple years ago, and he still gets reminded of it often.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

sellouts posted:

You probably play in a lower league so just practice a quick release on net before the goalies angle takes away all of the net.

Or make a move, sure, but I think that’s hard to do when it sounds like you always skate super hard because you either don’t have distance, get caught, or can’t tell how much room you really have.

Agree with this 100%. Quick release on shots is one of the top things junior hockey scouts look for and not having it is one of the main reasons kids don’t make the cut. It’s incredibly potent if you can get good at it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Hey Titanium, that 1x chesty you were talking about maybe selling in that latest video, what size is it?

It's an XL, I'm just shy of 6'2 and it fits me well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of -- this should be showing up on my doorstep tomorrow. Got it for what I consider a GREAT price for an older high-level C/A.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vaughn-Velo...353.m1438.l2649

Can't wait to soak this for an hour to de-gross

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

titanium posted:

It's an XL, I'm just shy of 6'2 and it fits me well.
Ok, we're similar size then. If you do sell, I may be interested.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just played first game since before the holidays. I was out to dinner at an Italian resteraunt with in-laws from out of town at 910. Game start at 940. I somehow made it onto the ice with 3 minutes left in warm-ups.

With a stomach full of pasta and cured meats sitting atop 3 weeks of rested chicken legs ... I felt surprisingly good. Then I started skating.

It was a fast game and I thought I was going to puke the whole time. We lost 4-0 and the best guy on the other team was the biggest try hard and also the biggest cry baby. He played really hard and intense so i played him the same way and he didn't like it. He kept cherry picking, especially at the end of the game so I took him out as he was crossing or blue line with 20 seconds left and he wasn't happy I took my 2nd penalty of the season with a smile.

gently caress I'm tired.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Anybody know of a go-to for getting some jerseys done real quick? Sublimated or regular, don't care since we're on a time crunch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had https://www.subliminationkings.com recommended to me by this thread. They seem to do a great job, but are always ~4 week turnaround.

I even shipped them a set of my jerseys so they matched it exactly and they turned out pretty drat close.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Anybody know of a go-to for getting some jerseys done real quick? Sublimated or regular, don't care since we're on a time crunch.

Are you playing in Winthrop or just waiting until the last minute?

Had another game last night, late one (11:15) and I scored a behind the net, bank off the back of the goalie goal. God those feel so nice and greasy.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 4, 2018

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Are you playing in Winthrop or just waiting until the last minute?

Nah different outdoor tourney in february

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sweet, first game of the season is 11:00PM on Sunday night. D league gets hosed in scheduling once again!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Tuesday at 940 pm
Wednesday at 11:15 pm
Thursday at 11 pm

I was just hoping to have the strength to physically wake up this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We played a 7:30 game on Saturday, the first in over a year. It was glorious.

(usually we're after 10:30 on a Sunday)