Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BR2049 was a decent movie.

I didn't understand the significance of the AI/projection girlfriend though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

enraged_camel posted:

BR2049 was a decent movie.

I didn't understand the significance of the AI/projection girlfriend though.

As a mirror for the free will vs. determinism that we see in Joe. Just as we don't know whether Joy coming to love Joe is just her telling him what he wants to hear or actual growth, we can't really know whether Joe is acting of his own accord or according to some complex programming due to the implanted memories.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

It looks like the movie is coming out on digital on December 26th, but we’ll have to wait a few more weeks to get it on Blu-ray.

Seeing this movie inspired me to get a 4K HDR TV and a sweet sound setup, so with that in mind, any idea what constitutes a good digital release these days? iTunes is going to have it at 4K in Dolby Vision with all of its extras, so I’m looking to go down that road, but if anybody has other advice, I’m all in.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Nope. iTunes has the best quality digital releases by far.

My digital movies on VUDU and Google play look like poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What about Amazon? They're getting into the UHD Digital game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

viral spiral posted:

Nope. iTunes has the best quality digital releases by far.

My digital movies on VUDU and Google play look like poo poo.

I thought VUDU's entire selling point was movies but very very HD, surprised they're still around if they're not.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
It must just be based on individual experiences because all of my VUDU and Google Play movies look great.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RedneckwithGuns posted:

As a mirror for the free will vs. determinism that we see in Joe. Just as we don't know whether Joy coming to love Joe is just her telling him what he wants to hear or actual growth, we can't really know whether Joe is acting of his own accord or according to some complex programming due to the implanted memories.

IMO Joi was straight up "telling it how it is" and it was all a way to show Joe hitting rock bottom. Finding out that he wasn't the Chosen One plus finding out that his wife was fake, that his whole existence is fake, even when he thought they weren't fake they turned out to be fake

so he hits rock bottom and decides to do something with his life

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

It’s out digitally now. As much as I can’t stand watching movies on a tiny screen, this one looks loving gorgeous on the iPhone X’s HDR display.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

oversteps posted:

It’s out digitally now. As much as I can’t stand watching movies on a tiny screen, this one looks loving gorgeous on the iPhone X’s HDR display.

If you think you've watched it on your ffffucking iPhone, that's such a sadness.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oversteps, this is your iphone posting. Don't listen to them. I'm just as good as a real screen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you think you've watched it on your ffffucking iPhone, that's such a sadness.

screen size doesn't matter as much as screen resolution. an iPhone 3 inches away from your face is not really a massively different viewing experience from a TV a few feet away, as long as they're both showing full-HD resolution.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
BR2049 is a revenge film on Harrison Ford. He probably assaulted Sean Young during filming (I mean with everything coming out these days, would you doubt it? Especially knowing how those apartment scenes were in the original?) and he was given a chance to redeem himself. He agrees that if they destroy the evidence he will star in this sequel (maybe he has to fit the bill for the filming or something off the books). Portion of the film cost is paid under the table to Sean Young or something along with any profits.

Leto and Gosling and some others are in on the revenge and Ford is only given scenes slightly out of order but told to look frail, disheveled, less makeup to show the age, drunk, dead beat father that went to Las Vegas to live out his sunset days among all the other old folks. Only during the scene with Leto does he realize what is happening that this lionizing of Rachael, replicating her, shoving it in her face by showing constant reminders of her and her beauty but only in his past as an act of a pathetic man. Right when he wakes up on the scene (probably pass out drunk from the night before) Leto is in full psycho character and they do the scene impromptu and to go with it with Leto basically playing the devil and making him see his crimes in his face on film.

Then go back and watch the scenes involving anything regarding Rachael in the context of her having been assaulted during filming or attempted by Ford. They focus on her beauty to get the audience's attention but it's also the only way the world will ever remember her. All of those scenes now have a disturbing amount of exploitative awfulness to them.

All I am saying is that Blade Runner 2049 is a hosed up film with some hosed up themes.
I think I can apply this also to Star Wars: The Force Awakens with Ford and Fisher....

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

CodeJanitor posted:

BR2049 is a revenge film on Harrison Ford. He probably assaulted Sean Young during filming (I mean with everything coming out these days, would you doubt it? Especially knowing how those apartment scenes were in the original?) and he was given a chance to redeem himself. He agrees that if they destroy the evidence he will star in this sequel (maybe he has to fit the bill for the filming or something off the books). Portion of the film cost is paid under the table to Sean Young or something along with any profits.

Leto and Gosling and some others are in on the revenge and Ford is only given scenes slightly out of order but told to look frail, disheveled, less makeup to show the age, drunk, dead beat father that went to Las Vegas to live out his sunset days among all the other old folks. Only during the scene with Leto does he realize what is happening that this lionizing of Rachael, replicating her, shoving it in her face by showing constant reminders of her and her beauty but only in his past as an act of a pathetic man. Right when he wakes up on the scene (probably pass out drunk from the night before) Leto is in full psycho character and they do the scene impromptu and to go with it with Leto basically playing the devil and making him see his crimes in his face on film.

Then go back and watch the scenes involving anything regarding Rachael in the context of her having been assaulted during filming or attempted by Ford. They focus on her beauty to get the audience's attention but it's also the only way the world will ever remember her. All of those scenes now have a disturbing amount of exploitative awfulness to them.

All I am saying is that Blade Runner 2049 is a hosed up film with some hosed up themes.
I think I can apply this also to Star Wars: The Force Awakens with Ford and Fisher....

Dextro/levoamphetamine is a hell of a drug

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

screen size doesn't matter as much as screen resolution. an iPhone 3 inches away from your face is not really a massively different viewing experience from a TV a few feet away, as long as they're both showing full-HD resolution.

The other concern with watching movies on your iPhone is that (depending on your age) your eyes might not be able to focus on a screen that is close enough to your face to resolve full hd resolution.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Don’t read too much into my post, guys. I never watch movies on my iPhone, but having Blade Runner 2049 at my fingertips was a great way to get some escapism during the Christmas holiday craziness. Movies on iPhone is never a good thing, but it was worth noting that this phone’s screen in particular makes the beauty of this movie stand out a bit.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the cinematographer and director of BR2049 didn't design the film to work just as well with a great big loving notch of it taken out of the side of the frame.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I watched BR2049 while sitting in coach on a 6 hour flight, and seeing it on a turbulent airplane while wearing the $5 airplane headphones was a life-changing cinematic experience that I’ll never forget. It was truly transcendent.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

CodeJanitor posted:

It could be that. It could also be a movie someone made for money. 50/50 either way.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I always felt Blount was a villain in Sicario. Not a scenery-chewer like Rickman or whatever, but just another little Eichmann in the 'drug war'.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This movie is so good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys this thing has been out on VOD for a couple days. Where are the gorgeous screenshots? I'm waiting for the Blu...

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

feedmyleg posted:

Guys this thing has been out on VOD for a couple days. Where are the gorgeous screenshots? I'm waiting for the Blu...

Bought the 4k version but have nothing that can display / capture in 4k. iTunes version looks alright at 1080p, but I want the big one to capture from.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ookiimarukochan posted:

Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the cinematographer and director of BR2049 didn't design the film to work just as well with a great big loving notch of it taken out of the side of the frame.

I thought the iPhone X was wider than 16:9 so playing anything that is 16:9 leaves out the notch, if not then lol.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watched this film for the first time, thought it was good but it didn't fully click with me like Sicario did. But then it started invading my thoughts and I found myself going over it in my head all day at work. Went straight home and watched it again and wow it really popped once I was able to kinda relax and let the visuals wash over me while also being able to pick out tons of little world building bits and even some plot points I missed the first time around. Almost every shot is beautiful but there were a lot of them that didn't hit me the first time for some reason, and I was also able to enjoy the awesome soundtrack a lot more on rewatch.

Rewatch this movie, is what I'm saying.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

What did you make of the way Blade Runner 2049 was received?
[Whispers] I have to be careful what I say. I have to be careful what I say. It was loving way too long. gently caress me! And most of that script’s mine.

lol Ridley Scott
http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-scott-all-the-money-in-the-world-reshoots.html

the rest of the interview is pretty great as well, even tho I can't agree with him regarding 2049

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ridley Scott is the man.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ridley Scott has the casual confidence and self-certainty that James Cameron has spent an entire career trying to convince people he has.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 29, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ridley Scott may be my favorite director because of the body of work he produced and genres he spent time in as well as subject matter. Kingdom of Heaven director's cut is up there for me alongside Indy Jones and Shawshank Redemption as my definitive favorites.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ridley Scott has the casual confidence and self-certainty that James Cameron has spent an entire career trying to convince people he has.
Oh come on, what about stuff like this?

quote:

One question that people ask me a lot about Titanic, and I’m assuming they ask you this a lot, is at the end, why doesn’t Rose make room for Jack on the door?

And the answer is very simple because it says on page 147 [of the script] that Jack dies. Very simple.

quote:

Will the Avatar sequels deal with some of the similar themes you addressed in the first film, in particular, the environment?

It will be a natural extension of all the themes, and the characters, and the spiritual undercurrents. Basically, if you loved the first movie, you’re gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you’re probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you’re probably gonna love these.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Cameron's Aliens pitch is still my favourite Hollywood story.

Gordon Carroll posted:

Cameron was young. He had just directed Terminator. Cameron had called a meeting to discuss his "next project." Everyone knew Cameron had written a treatment for Alien 2 that nobody would touch because Alien was not a massive financial success. Alien 2 was not on the table. We expected a professional pitch from Cameron, an outline and a treatment of what he had in mind with a cursory budget; perhaps a couple assistants to run a slide show. Instead Cameron walked in the room without so much as a piece of paper. He went to the chalk board in the room and simply wrote the word ALIEN. Then he added an 'S' to make ALIENS. Dramatically, he drew two vertical lines through the 'S', ALIEN$. He turned around and grinned. We green-lit the project that day for $18 million.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Samuel Clemens posted:

Cameron's Aliens pitch is still my favourite Hollywood story.
I mean, it’s completely fake, but other than that it’s pretty amusing.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

I watched BR2049 while sitting in coach on a 6 hour flight, and seeing it on a turbulent airplane while wearing the $5 airplane headphones was a life-changing cinematic experience that I’ll never forget. It was truly transcendent.

:laffo:

I'm picturing you about to poo poo your pants during the climactic fight with the roaring waves & claustrophobia

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

lol Ridley Scott
http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-scott-all-the-money-in-the-world-reshoots.html

the rest of the interview is pretty great as well, even tho I can't agree with him regarding 2049

He's an aging douchebag and needs to just retire. If he would have directed this it would have been just as terrible and derivative as Alien: Covenant.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Scott giving me some Trump vibes in that interview, lol.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BarronsArtGallery posted:

He's an aging douchebag and needs to just retire. If he would have directed this it would have been just as terrible and derivative as Alien: Covenant.

Derivative implies he had nothing to do with the actual CONTENT (re: story) as opposed to direction.

Ridley Scott posted:

And most of that script’s mine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Origami Dali posted:

Scott giving me some Trump vibes in that interview, lol.

Here's a complete list of Donald Trump's lifetime contributions of worth, presented next to a list of movies where Ridley Scott's direction was poo poo:

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

david_a posted:

I mean, it’s completely fake, but other than that it’s pretty amusing.

and that director... was albert einstein

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Scott is just a person who is always gonna have a strong opinion, that's just his personality. And he's never been shy about saying "we're doing it this way because I'm the loving director and I say that's how we're doing it". So I wouldn't take it personally if I were Villanueve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

lol Ridley Scott

lmao "Because it's fuckin' real!" I love this man.

• Locked thread