Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Data Graham posted:

Why in the christ is there an episode where comic book guy gets a Japanese girlfriend and it’s somehow more racist than anti-neckbeard

A character like that should never be the focus of an entire episode, let alone have a plot like that.:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Worst episode ever

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Why in the christ is there an episode where comic book guy gets a Japanese girlfriend and it’s somehow more racist than anti-neckbeard

“Jeffrey Albertson” has probably progressed from an insult to a self-insert.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One of the things about modern Simpsons is that it sounds so stilted, like the actors are in different rooms. There are often some pretty noticeable pauses between lines of dialogue and a lot of it is read very slowly and deliberately. That, and there just seems to be the "Whoops, I forgot to tell a joke!" thing where there'll be dialogue, and someone's just realized there hasn't been a joke in a while and will just do some monkeycheese joke or physical gag.

Also it's got that thing that Futurama had for some episodes where it seems like there's some really bad fan-fic going on. There are two different episodes I remember centered around Marge being super buff and another where she got breast implants.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Plan Z posted:

One of the things about modern Simpsons is that it sounds so stilted, like the actors are in different rooms. There are often some pretty noticeable pauses between lines of dialogue and a lot of it is read very slowly and deliberately.

I think I've mentioned this in this thread before, but they are literally often phoning it in when they record their lines these days.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

No animated show comes close to Good Simpsons but I think modern Family Guy is better than modern Simpsons.

good futurama comes close in jokes and bobs burgers comes close in heart and has some good plotlines but...yeah.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Saw about 5 minutes of a future one where Bart has two kids.
It had 20000000 'current tech but will be outdated then' jokes, not one plot point.

This show needs to die.

And yet still better than "Saudi Israelia".

Plan Z posted:

One of the things about modern Simpsons is that it sounds so stilted, like the actors are in different rooms. There are often some pretty noticeable pauses between lines of dialogue and a lot of it is read very slowly and deliberately. That, and there just seems to be the "Whoops, I forgot to tell a joke!" thing where there'll be dialogue, and someone's just realized there hasn't been a joke in a while and will just do some monkeycheese joke or physical gag.

Ugh. Like in the safety salamander episode. So, Homer is giving a speech and the crowd are loving him. Cue Carl "and to think all these years I was a gecko man" *flicks away gecko that was in his pocket because that's where people keep pets*

Wrt animation, as bad as it currently is, I still prefer it to the early 00s when the outlines were stupidly thick.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

the bigger the pupils are drawn, the better the episode is

maybe the secret was better drugs, ha ha

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

good futurama comes close in jokes and bobs burgers comes close in heart and has some good plotlines but...yeah.

Yeah, Bob's Burgers has never been particularly hilarious, but they always manage to spin some really well-crafted fun, adventurous plotlines.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Aranchine/status/935108566314139648

https://twitter.com/JCWilliamsIRL/status/935108295991296001

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Benny Harvey posted:

And yet still better than "Saudi Israelia".

Ugh. Like in the safety salamander episode. So, Homer is giving a speech and the crowd are loving him. Cue Carl "and to think all these years I was a gecko man" *flicks away gecko that was in his pocket because that's where people keep pets*

Wrt animation, as bad as it currently is, I still prefer it to the early 00s when the outlines were stupidly thick.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

At least everyone in the background is a no-name character and not Bumblebee Man and the Sea Captain.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

At least everyone in the background is a no-name character and not Bumblebee Man and the Sea Captain.

You forgot sideshow Mel saying huzzah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just wish they’d had the decency to let a few one-off gags remain one-off gags, instead of bringing them back over and over as canonical elements, as though that makes them funnier instead of totally ruining them retroactively.

Like Mr. Sparkle, or hell, Sideshow Mel

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kp3b5h2DY

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

High points: the "Raven" segment in the first Treehouse of Horror was pretty fuckin amazing all around

Great acting, great animation, great jokes, James Earl Jones

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pretty good.:ocelot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I liked the part where Homsar showed up in Homer’s ecstasy hallucination

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

This whole twitter thread owns:

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/947325294716817408

It's reviews from snpp episode capsules making GBS threads all over classic episodes and "Homer's Enemy". Are we out of touch? No, it's the mid 90s usenet posters who are wrong

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What sucks is Al Jean & Co. use those old reviews to say "see? You nerds have ALWAYS complained! The show is as good as ever!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I've been seeing in my random sailor's walk through the entire corpus is that they've tried literally everything. On-the-nose callbacks to old gags, brand-new throwaway gags; retreads of old stories, brand-new stories that push the envelope; stories where Homer and Marge's relationship is on the rocks for the last time or for the "first" time; rebooting their meeting to be in the 90s versus playing it like it was still in the 70s. I just saw one where Homer joined a dad rock cover band where they made all kinds of references to a "famous" but fictional 80s band called Sungazer, made up of "famous" but fictional aging rockers. The episode's "we get criticized for having too many stunt-cast guest stars" was just oozing from every pore, as was their "We're not even going to acknowledge the Be Sharps or any other occasion where Homer has been able to sing"; the writers were just screaming for the episode to be taken as an earnest and down-to-earth rethink of a familiar story framework, more rooted in Homer's day-to-day reality than even the Be Sharps one was (which was at the time basically The Principal and the Pauper, a clearly non-canonical romp on Beatles tropes that you were supposed to forget ever happened afterwards). It had all the ingredients in place, i.e. the writers trying their damnedest to get it right and to address all possible audience concerns, including implicitly demonstrating that some of the "golden age" episodes everyone loves are flawed in the same way that fans claim modern ones are. And somehow... it sucked anyway. (Clumsy "Yoko" jokes way dumber than the ones in the Be Sharps didn't help.)

I think it's just not possible for it to be good anymore no matter what they do.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I've been doing some research, and it might actually be this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHZbnl9grI

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

what the gently caress

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I've been doing some research, and it might actually be this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHZbnl9grI

:chloe:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

The chicken fights in Family Guy are better than this poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

yeah :(

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The joke about barts nuts in skinners face almost made me laugh, but then nothing even remotely funny happened for the resst of the video so the moment passed.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
if i had life threatening peanut or shellfish allergies I think i'd be offended at that scene

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trying to kill a student or principal is not an offense apparently. Also you should totally keep two people with allergies in the same room and let them eat the thing the other is allergic to.

Absurdity is an intrinsic part of humor but this ain't funny.

davidofmk771
Dec 27, 2010
you guys remember when homer became a marriage counselor for a baseball player and his wife?

yeah thats when 11 year old me realized that the simpsons people were running outta ideas, and i LIKED the episode where bart became a rapper and met 50 cent

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

One of the strangest simpsons staff vs the nerds was this exchange in the Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show episode:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?

Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

Bart: What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.

Comic Book Guy:
Worst episode ever.

The comic book guy was always the nerd audience insert so I took this scene as the simpson's staff railing on the nerds who complained, it always struck me as odd that they thought people got entertainment for free. Like people have to pay for cable and what not and are exposed to ads, during that time period it wasn't "free".

Also seemed out of character that Bart would defend a television studio

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always took that scene to be partly a riff on Shatner and his "get a life" comment

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Going back to the jockey episode they have a bit where Comic Book Guy points out that the Simpsons already had a horse. And Homer says something like ‘does anyone care what this guy thinks?’ It’s a big gently caress you. If you point out a decline in quality or boring repetitive storylines then you’re a big fatty fat nerd. I can’t think of many other shows who have been so obnoxious about their fans.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tiberius Thyben posted:

why would a grown professional try to murder a child

why would skinner's body be so strong that it could rip a bridge in half, but then he'd feel the need to dodge the "little bangkok" archway

what the gently caress

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
they just put in duel of the fates because they were too loving lazy to do foley for each stick collision

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

why would skinner's body be so strong that it could rip a bridge in half, but then he'd feel the need to dodge the "little bangkok" archway

that was a joke. it may not be a particularly funny one but it's obviously a joke. goddamn. we really do toss the sperg word around sometimes but some of you might actually be autists.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The point at around 34 seconds where the shadows in the background lazily slide to the left.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

The comic book guy was always the nerd audience insert so I took this scene as the simpson's staff railing on the nerds who complained, it always struck me as odd that they thought people got entertainment for free. Like people have to pay for cable and what not and are exposed to ads, during that time period it wasn't "free".

FOX is network TV, it's literally free if you have an antenna.

davidofmk771
Dec 27, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

why would a grown professional try to murder a child

_____________________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Phantasium posted:

The point at around 34 seconds where the shadows in the background lazily slide to the left.

I really hope someone got fired for that blunder