Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

CitizenKain posted:

Playing tonight was a mistake.

6-0 last night, including a real wtf game in my Kidd.

Standard battle, enemy splits in two to far flanks. Our cruisers and BBs start to either yolo/run behind spawn.

So me, an Udaloi, and another DD sail straight from spawn to their cap and take it uncontested :smugdog:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Against better judgement I bought another 20 of the Huge boxes.....

2x Alabama, 1x Gallant, several doubloon safes, ~31.8K total, 120 Hydras....various other stuff. This time it was worth it.

It lessens the pain of ranked a little....

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

Hammerstein posted:

Against better judgement I bought another 20 of the Huge boxes.....

2x Alabama, 1x Gallant, several doubloon safes, ~31.8K total, 120 Hydras....various other stuff. This time it was worth it.

It lessens the pain of ranked a little....

Decided to give a huge boxes a shot after getting pretty lucky with 10 medium boxes. Bought a single one and got the Gallant. Kinda hoped for the Alabama, but oh well, can't really complain...4 ships out of 11 boxes :smugdog:

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
screw you guys lol...like 18 boxes for me, mostly medium.....zero ships, highlight is like 3000 dubloons total? LAME. I eventually got fed up and just bought the ships i wanted instead.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I didn't buy anything this year. I have all the premiums I want right now and too much premium time.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Ya'll are a bunch of whales and it's your fault WG feels no need to improve their dumb games. :colbert:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I reinstalled this to see if there were any xmas freebies - it was so big it took days to download and it's now way past christmas. I found the free containers, is there anything else to grab? I have over 19,000 doubloons for some reason - which premium ships would be worth buying?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

bloom posted:

Ya'll are a bunch of whales and it's your fault WG feels no need to improve their dumb games. :colbert:

Yeah, that's my exact sentiment every Christmas with this game. All of DUNKN are essentially enablers. It would be interesting to find out the average dollar amount spent per goon

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

I've only spent money on a Atlanta, a Scharn plus some xmas boxes last year. But I am a bit salty that despite playing the last couple weeks after a few months of hiatus, I don't get free poo poo and I am really trying to avoid GAMBLING again.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
I've probably dropped close to a grand on this game, and while that's higher than I'd like, it's not bad from my hours-to-enjoyment ratio over the time period. I get way less out of most other games.

Still, it puts a bee in my bonnet that I can't test premiums in the training room or test drive ships I don't have yet in non-competitive modes. Aside from Murmansk, I haven't been burned by it, but I'll bet there's a few people out there that wouldn't mind trading back their Tirpitz, for example.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mauzeraut posted:

I've probably dropped close to a grand on this game, and while that's higher than I'd like, it's not bad from my hours-to-enjoyment ratio over the time period. I get way less out of most other games.

Still, it puts a bee in my bonnet that I can't test premiums in the training room or test drive ships I don't have yet in non-competitive modes. Aside from Murmansk, I haven't been burned by it, but I'll bet there's a few people out there that wouldn't mind trading back their Tirpitz, for example.

more like krasny krim.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I've probably spent $200 or so. Not terrible since I've got a couple thousand games played. Certainly better ratio than most of my steam purchases.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

And recommendation for a premium cruiser to buy? Or a good cruiser line to go down? Germany seems meh, my konigsberg is ok, but it sounds like everything is a slog up until tier 9. I don't enjoy the Cleveland much since I don't have a 10 point captain yet for IFHE. Obviously they can't duke it out with BB's, but it'd be nice to not constantly get detonated even when angled.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

JuffoWup posted:

more like krasny krim.

Got that one for free in a supercrate. Can't complain as it's better than getting type 3 camo, just not by much.

In other news, I'm normally pretty conservative with xp flags and camo. I I tend to hoard them unless I get a shitload of them. Decided to make an exception for some first wins and stacked as much +%XP as possible onto the 200% win thing, and got thatwentwell.txt shown here:

Had better games but I should probably superstack more often. Dat Commander XP :)

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

Eltoasto posted:

And recommendation for a premium cruiser to buy? Or a good cruiser line to go down?

So there's a few caveats to this. Couple facts:
T7 is the best tier for gameplay and "fun" premiums, with very little exception.
T7 is not the best tier for income. For cruisers (at the moment), that would be T8, or T10 if it's XP income you're after.
T7 has a very limited selection of cruisers now, especially with the removal of Belfast.
T7 is especially good for DDs and BBs.

I personally love the gently caress out of the Atlanta, but it's a hard ship to recommend because of the need for captain investment, a certain playstyle and a huge learning curve. That said, she's fun as poo poo and rewards skilled play.

For someone newer, Belfast is a much better bet, but again, that's off the table. Indianapolis is a solid ship that plays much more similarly to tech tree cruisers, but she's got some pretty glaring weaknesses you have to work around and doesn't punch up as well as Atlanta can.

If you're willing to put up with T8, your options get better. Atago is still one of the best premiums, let alone premium cruisers, and she can supplement the cruiser line I often recommend to people starting out in the game, as despite all this time the IJN cruiser line is still quite good. There are some weak spots, but nothing horrendous (Aoba, Ibuki to some). Kutuzov was an easy recommendation, but she's out too. Prinz Eugen is your last bet, and while it's the weakest of the Big Three T8 premiums, it's arguably on the best cruiser lines to end on. While not as strong as Atago or Kutuzov, it's far from weak, and in skilled hands is a great ship played to her strengths... and so long as you can out-endure the Nurnberg, the German line is solid the rest of the way up (gently caress the haters, Yorck and Hipper are great ships, just not stupendous). The problem with Prinz is you can essentially train the same captain with a Scharnhorst, which is kind of like an uparmored T7 cruiser that's decent at everything... and it's the most highly recommended premium in my experience, for good reason.

I don't recommend starting out on the US cruiser line. It can be extremely punishing until you learn them, even though they are excellent.

British cruisers are excellent for randoms, but have very little place in competitive and tend to be a better "don't try as your first ships" line. They have a specific playstyle and not everyone likes it.

You can't really go wrong between the Russian, French, IJN or German cruiser lines. If you want the best of all worlds and still want something viable for ranked competitive, German, followed by Russian, followed by French should be your go-tos.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Cool, I'll continue with the germans then. About ready to get the nurnberg and was dismayed by it's reviews.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Eltoasto posted:

Cool, I'll continue with the germans then. About ready to get the nurnberg and was dismayed by it's reviews.

It's a great ship until you die.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

wdarkk posted:

It's a great ship until you die.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mauzeraut posted:

While not as strong as Atago or Kutuzov, it's far from weak, and in skilled hands is a great ship played to her strengths... and so long as you can out-endure the Nurnberg, the German line is solid the rest of the way up (gently caress the haters, Yorck and Hipper are great ships, just not stupendous). The problem with Prinz is you can essentially train the same captain with a Scharnhorst, which is kind of like an uparmored T7 cruiser that's decent at everything... and it's the most highly recommended premium in my experience, for good reason.

I don't recommend starting out on the US cruiser line. It can be extremely punishing until you learn them, even though they are excellent.

British cruisers are excellent for randoms, but have very little place in competitive and tend to be a better "don't try as your first ships" line. They have a specific playstyle and not everyone likes it.

You can't really go wrong between the Russian, French, IJN or German cruiser lines. If you want the best of all worlds and still want something viable for ranked competitive, German, followed by Russian, followed by French should be your go-tos.

The Hipper main issue is the fact that it is an 8 gun cruiser with terrible arcs and very mediocre RoF. The rear 4 guns when shooting forward have terrible arcs and the front 4 guns have terrible arcs shooting backwards so its broadside city if you want to max firepower. It also its in a tier where you get uptiered the majority of games so its essentially a a gimped Hindenburg with 10k less health, and 66% of the firepower. If you were to just look at T8 cruisers alone, it does ok but any T8 ship you play has to be able to punch above its weight class and the Hipper doesn't have the DPM to do it.

Also Ranked seems like its only T6-T8 so Roon and Hindenburg, even then both are overpowered, won't be useful. A Ranked lineup of Nberg, Yorck, and Hipper sound really unattractive.

The Frenchie line actually sounds very noob friendly with its spaced armor and godly fire RNG.

Eltoasto posted:

Its actually a good training tool. You will either learn really quickly how to use priority target to dodge shells, how to use islands, and hopefully learning when to hold fire to remained concealed or you will end up in port very quickly. You should also begin practicing sneaking around and doing full AP volleys on unsuspecting enemy cruisers and coring out their citadels.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 30, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The thing that I don't like about the Nurn is that what makes it explode so much is the citadel top, which is just a giant "free overmatch zone" stretching most of the ship. Other ships that have big citadels can mitigate via extreme angling, but the Nurn's weakness is the top.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

MikeC posted:

If you were to just look at T8 cruisers alone, it does ok but any T8 ship you play has to be able to punch above its weight class and the Hipper doesn't have the DPM to do it.

Also Ranked seems like its only T6-T8 so Roon and Hindenburg, even then both are overpowered, won't be useful. A Ranked lineup of Nberg, Yorck, and Hipper sound really unattractive.

I'd agree with that, it's not the most powerful or useful T8 by a long shot, but it's not that horrible a grind. You're right regarding competitive, I was thinking mainly of clan wars more than individual ranked... for that there are far better lines, but I honestly relegate most of ranked to premiums for those tiers, with some notable exceptions like Fiji and North Carolina.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So, is the Gallant supposed to be good at anything? Because nothing about it seems to really make it worth using.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It can single-fire torps, has good concealment, and decent HE shells. It’s a useful and fun DD for tier 6.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
For a filthy casual like myself, which t10 BB should I look forward to as a goal? German or Japanese? I enjoy both reviews of the ships, and I've had both cause me endless deaths. Looking to get the scharn this sale too, and any thoughts on Mo's replacement for free xp next spring?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Catpants McStabby posted:

For a filthy casual like myself, which t10 BB should I look forward to as a goal? German or Japanese? I enjoy both reviews of the ships, and I've had both cause me endless deaths. Looking to get the scharn this sale too, and any thoughts on Mo's replacement for free xp next spring?

I have a Yamato and F. Der Grob, no G. K. yet. The Yamato is fun but heavily dependent on competent teammates since it has no secondaries worth mentioning and 9 turrets vs 12 for the other tier 12s. G.K. appears solid, without the whole 18" guns that can overmatch bow armor thing the Yamato has going for it. GK and Montana (mostly Montana) are desireable for clan wars right now because it's mostly dunking cruisers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Behold, weekend.jpg:

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Indeed

Edit:

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 30, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's not terrible, honestly.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
German battleships were a mistake. You should get kicked to the desktop for trying to take them into ranked.

This guy kept sending me love letters for forty minutes. I touched a nerve, I guess.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 30, 2017

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Catpants McStabby posted:

US battleship line is a pretty good grind nowaday, the Montana is good and you have a selection of competitive premium battleships if you want a captain trainer.
The UK battleship tree seem solid as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Also the North Carolina is effortless, and tier 8 is typically the worst tier to grind due to length of time and matchmaking.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I lost 15 Neptune matches in a row last night :negative:

But on the other hand I now have my first T10, the Minotaur! :toot:

In unrelated news, it seems like WG want us to pay 950,000 FXP for the bad T9 Yamato with even worse AA :confused:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Why are people so mean?! :gay:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
:killdozer:

Okhotnik is pretty neat when people let you get into torp range. Sadly I ate a counter-torp from a Kuma I killed or else I would have gone on to harvest their two CVs. Just under 38k commander XP too!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Darkrenown posted:

:killdozer:

Okhotnik is pretty neat when people let you get into torp range. Sadly I ate a counter-torp from a Kuma I killed or else I would have gone on to harvest their two CVs. Just under 38k commander XP too!

I can't get that ship to click for me. The guns turn so slow and the ship handles like a cruiser so I just eat shells and its impossible to dodge yolo torps from other DDs. I got the molotov from boxes as well and I am loving that ship though. Rail guns that do really good HE and AP damage

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Allright, got 4000 doubloons to spend from the boxes, which of the premium cruiser to get while they are on sale? {already got Murmansk)

e: Options are
Perth
De Grasse
Graf Spree
Makarov
Molotov

or say gently caress it and get another BB

Dunkerque
Giulio cesare

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 30, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kerrow posted:

Allright, got 4000 doubloons to spend from the boxes, which of the premium cruiser to get while they are on sale? {already got Murmansk)

Some people like the Duca, although it's a mixed thing.

Molotov is good but is almost Nürnberg levels of fragile.

Perth is doing surprisingly well on the stats but doesn't train anything worthwhile.

Graf is pretty good but unlike other cruisers.

EDIT: Guilio Cesare is nuts powerful and superfun.

Burlinton
Jul 4, 2014
Did not like today's advent event, between some crappy teams and bad positioning trying to get 40 ribbons was not happening for the first bunch of matches. Tried the Hood and got the right team, victory and 300 ribbons. Think my secondary batteries are now worn out.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Kerrow posted:

e: Options are
Perth
De Grasse
Graf Spree
Makarov
Molotov

or say gently caress it and get another BB

Dunkerque
Giulio cesare

Get Cesare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU