Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The problem with updating KotE is that the parts that are embarrassing racist nonsense is the skeleton and the good parts is what they wound up building around that.

To make it really good you'd have to rewrite literally everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rand Brittain posted:

The problem with updating KotE is that the parts that are embarrassing racist nonsense is the skeleton and the good parts is what they wound up building around that.

There's nothing really racist about going to hell and then coming back as a demon-undead. The way to do it is to have everyone go to their own version of Hell, and then make the various Paths less culturally focused, or go the nWoD way of having 5 generic Paths and then a ton of sub-Paths that can as cultural or not as you want.

The trick is not to base the game entirely on anime and Chinese Ghost Story.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Thanqol posted:

Sure, but what specifically? I mean, I'm sure the market sells that stuff, but what about that needs a law written down for it?

Batted around for a bit and this is what we came up with.

ON THE SELLING OF TISSUE

Any sale by the purchaser at the Goblin Market of shall be done in such a way to maximize preservation or freshness or value.

As such, the selling of a (limb, organ, extrusion) in part or whole shall be done at the moment of sale by the purchaser or purchaser's indebted proxy.

At all times the specification must be made as to the currency is of Mask or Mien or Mutation and priced accordingly.

Should a piece if self have already been separated from the person, it may only be sold if the purchasee is given three (3) options from which to choose for the freshest by comparison.

(The market does not care if you are selling other people's organs but if you're going to do it you have to go full cooler bag of ice about it.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's nothing really racist about going to hell and then coming back as a demon-undead. The way to do it is to have everyone go to their own version of Hell, and then make the various Paths less culturally focused, or go the nWoD way of having 5 generic Paths and then a ton of sub-Paths that can as cultural or not as you want.

The trick is not to base the game entirely on anime and Chinese Ghost Story.

There's nothing racist about that specific idea, shorn of all the trimmings, no, but basically literally everything about how Wan Kuei are described and how they organize themselves is just... well, you know.

If you make a bunch of different hells and make all the other stuff less culturally-focused, you're still basically writing a new game.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

they had to do that for a lot of the other lines as well, even if they've got more obvious ancedents in pop-culture monsters

and just spitballing here, but I don't think it's impossible- for example it's super easy to drop the "special Asian vampire" angle, and just have them be a culturally and ethnically neutral form of (essentially) oWoD Risen that typically come back as fairly mindless and bestial and quickly degenerate unless someone slaps some sense into them and instills a philosophy/set of rules/superstitions (which are by no means whatever origin you'd care to describe the KotE "philosophies" as) they can adhere to control themselves, or rarely they manage it on their own

this explains why you'd have reclusive but occasionally meddlesome societies of self-improving undead that adhere to weird supernatural rules, while not needing a racist cosmology, and the game maybe also lets you play The Highlander

The real problem comes with the power set and the way they fit into the cosmology I think- you probably don't want to do a hackneyed version "chi"/the five elements (even if you do want your supernatural to have similar powers, since if we're being honest immortal wuxia is at least part of the point), and most of the other obvious solutions seem like they'd be duplicative and suggest incompatible powers (i.e. if you're fused with a powerful underworld spirit aren't you basically a Sin-Eater?/why wouldn't your powers be death themed? Uratha are already human-spirit hybrids, trying to become human is Promethean's whole deal, and mages deal with the Supernal/transcending humanity via enlightenment). This toe-stepping is admittedly an issue for most hypothetical new lines in cWoD I think.

one possibility is maybe tying their power source to the Astral Plane/Pandemonium, since I believe it's still the only major Realm Invisible below the Supernal that lacks a major supernatural type, Pandemonium pretty much is Hell/demonic, and the Temenos/Anima Mundi give pretty obvious explanations of "archetypal" powers- however I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to tie it into a cohesive whole (since a Risen-esque creature implies a ghost not moving on, and a tie to the Astral/Pandemonium implies ~something~ either slumming or incapable/refusing to ascend)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

LGD posted:

they had to do that for a lot of the other lines as well, even if they've got more obvious ancedents in pop-culture monsters

They really didn't.

The line that got the most revision was Changeling, and all they actually had to do there was remove all the bizarre contradictions and come up with consistent depictions of what Banality was, and update the political status quo to something resonant today. They didn't completely rewrite it to remove all the kiths named after Eurofae or remove the Gallain or get rid of the medieval social structure.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

LGD posted:

and just spitballing here, but I don't think it's impossible- for example it's super easy to drop the "special Asian vampire" angle, and just have them be a culturally and ethnically neutral form of (essentially) oWoD Risen that typically come back as fairly mindless and bestial and quickly degenerate unless someone slaps some sense into them and instills a philosophy/set of rules/superstitions (which are by no means whatever origin you'd care to describe the KotE "philosophies" as) they can adhere to control themselves, or rarely they manage it on their own

this explains why you'd have reclusive but occasionally meddlesome societies of self-improving undead that adhere to weird supernatural rules, while not needing a racist cosmology, and the game maybe also lets you play The Highlander

The real problem comes with the power set and the way they fit into the cosmology I think- you probably don't want to do a hackneyed version "chi"/the five elements (even if you do want your supernatural to have similar powers, since if we're being honest immortal wuxia is at least part of the point), and most of the other obvious solutions seem like they'd be duplicative and suggest incompatible powers (i.e. if you're fused with a powerful underworld spirit aren't you basically a Sin-Eater?/why wouldn't your powers be death themed? Uratha are already human-spirit hybrids, trying to become human is Promethean's whole deal, and mages deal with the Supernal/transcending humanity via enlightenment). This toe-stepping is admittedly an issue for most hypothetical new lines in cWoD I think.

one possibility is maybe tying their power source to the Astral Plane/Pandemonium, since I believe it's still the only major Realm Invisible below the Supernal that lacks a major supernatural type, Pandemonium pretty much is Hell/demonic, and the Temenos/Anima Mundi give pretty obvious explanations of "archetypal" powers- however I'm having a hard time coming up with a way to tie it into a cohesive whole (since a Risen-esque creature implies a ghost not moving on, and a tie to the Astral/Pandemonium implies ~something~ either slumming or incapable/refusing to ascend)

wait i'm confused

are you talking about bringing kote to nwod?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rand Brittain posted:

They really didn't.

The line that got the most revision was Changeling, and all they actually had to do there was remove all the bizarre contradictions and come up with consistent depictions of what Banality was, and update the political status quo to something resonant today. They didn't completely rewrite it to remove all the kiths named after Eurofae or remove the Gallain or get rid of the medieval social structure.

Unfortunately.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Gerund posted:

purchaser

Either that words doesn't mean what you think it means, or Changeling uses some weird and confusing lingo.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beast was the line that was supposed to get into Astral shenanigans other than mage.

Unfortunately.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

ZiegeDame posted:

Either that words doesn't mean what you think it means, or Changeling uses some weird and confusing lingo.

The idea was to go for odd filigree language but I've heard the phrase used before when talking about the people that buy goods for businesses to sell (clothing boutiques?) There might be something specific I'm missing?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gerund posted:

The idea was to go for odd filigree language but I've heard the phrase used before when talking about the people that buy goods for businesses to sell (clothing boutiques?) There might be something specific I'm missing?

Purchase means buy, so without the context there it seems like the buyer is somehow selling something.

Consider 'retailer'. Or if someone is selling a bunch of body parts at once, the 'wholesaler'!

Come to think of it, the idea of a 'body parts wholesaler' of bits at reasonable prices, no questions asked, as long as you don't ask any questions either or try to figure out where they're from. And so investigating them is actively discouraged and punished because having them around is so dang useful.

And they always have the parts too. If you need ten left thumbs, they have ten left thumbs.

They can do you three six-fingered hands, but that's a special order so they'll need three days for shipping (from where???).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
^^^ This, and also the phrase 'purchasee' would mean the person being bought/sold, which in the context of rules about body parts is very possible, but not what was meant.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gerund posted:

Batted around for a bit and this is what we came up with.

ON THE SELLING OF TISSUE
Does the market distinguish between human(and other people), and animals?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Just be careful when Kleenex introduces their new arm-shaped tissue paper and start sending reps out.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Zereth posted:

Does the market distinguish between human(and other people), and animals?

I think technically the exact opposite: in that the slave trade is justified by the trade of animals, but I can't recall if that is fanon or actually in a book at this point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gerund posted:

I think technically the exact opposite: in that the slave trade is justified by the trade of animals, but I can't recall if that is fanon or actually in a book at this point.
My point was more that if it doesn't, this rule would prohibit the sale of things like beef jerky.

... I think, the "purchaser" part was, as noted, very confusing.

EDIT: Also, "The selling shall be done at the moment of sale" sounds like it's supposed to mean something, but doesn't.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Going to be a delay in the Wraith data - revisiting early sources for causes of death is a slow-ish process, and holiday visits etc have been eating more of my time than expected, which is really nice.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Zereth posted:

My point was more that if it doesn't, this rule would prohibit the sale of things like beef jerky.

... I think, the "purchaser" part was, as noted, very confusing.

EDIT: Also, "The selling shall be done at the moment of sale" sounds like it's supposed to mean something, but doesn't.

While I'm 100% sure that the poo poo I typed up on my phone while at the table with my group is sorta poo poo, my intent was that if you do sell beef jerky you must offer at minimum three samples rather than just the one.

My ethos of writing rules for the Goblin Market is that the structure should allow for interesting restrictions to generate story but allow for horrible implications when you see what isn't disallowed; like a wall-jump section in a video game, you importantly lack a floor of common decency but still have a way to safely get to your goal. A market with no rules just fuckery is going to be hand-waved or avoided by the game.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
http://onlysp.com/white-wolf-original-world-of-darkness/

quote:

When embarking on the effort to bring the World of Darkness back to video games, the IP owners were faced with the tough decision of which universe to focus their efforts on.

Originally established in 1991 with Vampire: The Masquerade, the original World of Darkness was supplanted in 2004 by a revised setting (now known as Chronicles of Darkness) with a streamlined rule system. However, after White Wolf was re-established as a self-operating company in 2015, it opted to concentrate on the classic setting and retain the latter for tabletop roleplaying.

Speaking to OnlySP recently, White Wolf’s Lead Storyteller Martin Ericsson explained this choice.

“This was the first, and possibly the hardest, creative decision we made,” he said. “Paradox [Interactive (owners of White Wolf)] had nothing to do with it. We took a long, hard look at two great settings and came to the conclusion that the original World of Darkness was the best fit for what we wanted to do. The original WoD is a chaotic and passionate place, full of crazy ideas and social commentary, and we prefer that to the more subdued, streamlined, sandbox elegance of the “new” WoD. Since having two worlds called “WoD” seemed like a very bad branding idea, we elected to go with the old WoD and keep the new WoD as “Chronicles of Darkness” and keep it as a tabletop roleplaying setting only.”

Bolded for :laffo:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Social commentary from people who idolize early to mid run White Wolf, oh boy!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yep, the nWoD definitely doesn't have crazy ideas or passion or chaos or even social commentary. No siree.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Some of those qualifiers are pretty dumb but the nWoD is definitely less gonzo than the oWoD.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would say less gonzo on average but occasionally peaking harder. Like, the God-Machine as an actual, physical machine which overlaps with the entire planet and manipulates everything for unknown and possibly no ends at all, complete with summoning robotic angels from nowhere and caching timelines in large boxes under Seattle?

Yeah I'm gonna say that beats out even the Cathedral of Flesh.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I would say less gonzo on average but occasionally peaking harder. Like, the God-Machine as an actual, physical machine which overlaps with the entire planet and manipulates everything for unknown and possibly no ends at all, complete with summoning robotic angels from nowhere and caching timelines in large boxes under Seattle?

Yeah I'm gonna say that beats out even the Cathedral of Flesh.

How is that gonzo? Nobody had grungy sex with anybody, like, at all?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
as soon as the Scion 2e editing pass is done the full text is getting released to backers!

I may actually have game to run in a couple of weeks

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

How is that gonzo? Nobody had grungy sex with anybody, like, at all?

It dates a chicken and fires itself out of a cannon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

in the oWoD, the Christian God canonically exists and created vampires in a fit of pique, werewolves are fascist planeteers, mages' powers basically run on The Secret, and so on

it's got a certain flavor which both lends itself to being offensive sometimes but also to a kind of blunt directness that can be funny or refreshing other times, because it's always willing to "go there" so to speak

like if nWoD lines were oWoD lines but with the same premise, Changeling would emphasize the ufology factor 10x more, Prometheans would all be clumsy LGBT stereotypes, and the God-Machine would use the Catholic Church as infrastructure

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ultimately I prefer the nWoD because the oWoD's excesses are gross far more often than they're amusing, but to pick out one exception I'd take oVampire's premise over nVampire's any day

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I really like oWolf's Gaia mythos, but it completely falls apart or gets flat out disgusting whenever it intersects with real world history, so I can live with the nWolf mythos.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ultimately I prefer the nWoD because the oWoD's excesses are gross far more often than they're amusing, but to pick out one exception I'd take oVampire's premise over nVampire's any day

On the other hand, for my money, I'm a lot less charged up by tracing vampiric lineages back to pseudo-Biblical genealogies emerging from the mythological curse of a single man than I am by tracing them to the blood of gods, cursed deals with shadows, and a bladed thing in a cave in a time before language.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Do the Sabbat rule anything? One of their goals is tearing down or abandoning the Masquerade and just ruling over humanity, right? So how come they haven't pulled it off, even in some isolated place? Does the Camarilla send forces out to fight them on every front?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think they ruled an area in 1st edition Australia. It was the city with the red talon drug dealer, because they were his supplier.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

nofather posted:

Do the Sabbat rule anything?
Mexico City, iirc

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
So is it a matter of everyone in Mexico City and a part of Australia knowing that vampires (or at least supernatural monsters) exist and rule them?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

nofather posted:

Do the Sabbat rule anything? One of their goals is tearing down or abandoning the Masquerade and just ruling over humanity, right? So how come they haven't pulled it off, even in some isolated place? Does the Camarilla send forces out to fight them on every front?

Didn't the old fluff say they owned like, all of Canada and Mexico?

I would like that just to see some elder in the northern territories screaming 'I AM THE LORD OF THE NIGHT!' at a very confused moose.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
oWoD is dumber and on the average more offensive than the nWoD, but it is not weirder. In many ways it is more predictable and its parts easier to categorize.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Night10194 posted:

Didn't the old fluff say they owned like, all of Canada and Mexico?

I would like that just to see some elder in the northern territories screaming 'I AM THE LORD OF THE NIGHT!' at a very confused moose.
two words:

Moose. Ghouls.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sadly, IIRC, didn't they decide that instead, loving Canada was home to the edgiest motherfuckers they could find, like, Montreal had stuff involving blood-filled glass dildos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Sadly, IIRC, didn't they decide that instead, loving Canada was home to the edgiest motherfuckers they could find, like, Montreal had stuff involving blood-filled glass dildos?

Which book is Swastika McNaziBoobs from?