Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I just bought my first house after apartment living for the past 7 years. Read this whole thread in the past few weeks in anticipation of being able to actually smoke and grill poo poo.

So I just bought a practically new 22.5" Weber Kettle off of Craigslist for 60 bucks and am ready to do some pulled pork this weekend. I got a 10 lb bone-in pork shoulder and I cut the bastard in half. What should I do now

5-6 binder clips around the edge of the lid will help keep air from leaking through and make it a lot easier to control temperature using the vents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Do you have thermometers? A rub you're going to use? You wanna put that on or at least dry brine it 24-48 hours before smoking. Make sure you have plenty of drugs to fully enjoy the process.

this guy smokes

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

lifts cats over head posted:

I once did a side by side comparison with mustard/no mustard and really there wasn't any discernible difference. I also use mustard powder in my rub so that may have been a factor. I'm a big fan of applying the rub up to 48 hours before hand though.

Also welcome to your new addiction.

I don’t use mustard powder, so that may be why it was more noticeable for my guests.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Anyone smoked salmon? My sense is that smoking time is reasonably short but brining and airing time should be long. Thoughts?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I've only done cold smoked, but it's basically 24 hours of brining and then about 8-10 hours of smoke. If hot smoking, I imagine it would be significantly shorter.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just asking again, outside of a real deal smoker is this a worthwhile thing to have? https://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Pellet-Smoker-Box-Grills/dp/B06Y4FDLFQ/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Just asking again, outside of a real deal smoker is this a worthwhile thing to have? https://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Pellet-Smoker-Box-Grills/dp/B06Y4FDLFQ/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

No. And I bought and use a $50 crappy offset smoker I got off of Craigslist.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Wilford Cutlery posted:

It's junk

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both. Gonna tell him to buy the 18" Weber, not for me but for the office.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Wanna work in that office

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

Anyone smoked salmon? My sense is that smoking time is reasonably short but brining and airing time should be long. Thoughts?

I do 12 hours of brine and air it for about 2-3 hours. Smoke time is another 2-3 hours.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blinkz0rz posted:

I love smoked salmon. Here are my notes from this recipe.

Cure:
2 salmon fillets, skin on and pin bones removed
1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cups kosher salt
2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns

Rub:
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoons coriander
1 tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt

Instructions
Baking sheet, foil, then plastic wrap to sandwich around the fish. Place rub, filet, rub, filet (if you bought the whole fish), rub, and then top with rest of wrap, foil, and another baking sheet. Then put weight on it and leave it in the refrigerator 10-12 hours. I did 10.

Rinse the salmon after 10-12 hours, rub the spicy section/filet with the rub. Prepare the smoker for 150-160. BGE gets way too hot so cut way back on the fuel (light a tiny pile!). I used apple, would also like to try pecan and cherry. Smoke 1-3 hours until the filets are 140 degrees. Mine took about 2 hours. Tent and rest 20-30 minutes while you finish up everything else.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Hey all, quick semi-niche question. Got a gift for the holidays I'm thrilled about, it's a combination pressure cooker/smoker.

http://www.gourmia.com/item.asp?item=10063

My question is I was also gifted some superfine wood chips (bought separately), rather than the regular size chips the unit recommends. My understanding of the difference between the size of chips is the burn time, that they'd need to be replaced quicker because they burn faster. However, because this is pressure cooking, that smoke wouldn't dissipate as it's an enclosed system. Because of this, could I use the superfine chips instead of the regular size chips?

If so, is there a conversion ratio (IE 1 regular chip is 1 tablespoon of super fine, etc)? I'm pumped to use this, as I live in a small New York apartment with no outdoor space, so the prospect of getting smoked meat here is pretty awesome.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Please give some reports after you use that, never seen anything like it.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Moey posted:

Please give some reports after you use that, never seen anything like it.

Will do man, I'm excited - there's probably going to be a learning curve, but the fact that it cold smokes for things like fish and cheese, as well as hot smoke for ribs and brisket? I'm from the Pacific Northwest, so smoked salmon is very much my thing.

If I can find an answer online on if those chips work, I'll try it out mid day tomorrow and report back.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Will do man, I'm excited - there's probably going to be a learning curve, but the fact that it cold smokes for things like fish and cheese, as well as hot smoke for ribs and brisket? I'm from the Pacific Northwest, so smoked salmon is very much my thing.

If I can find an answer online on if those chips work, I'll try it out mid day tomorrow and report back.

I would try and use what it recommends first (you can order chunks from amazon or buy them at Home Depot). Only issue I see is that it only hold 4lbs of meat. Good luck fitting anything in there.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Interesting device, but as mentioned, 4lbs is a bit small. I can see a good use for that in cold smoking cheese though.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Interesting device, but as mentioned, 4lbs is a bit small. I can see a good use for that in cold smoking cheese though.

Yeah, there won’t be any big cooks for party’s or anything like that, but I’m ok with that given how tiny my apartment is. 95% of what I cook is for me and a +1.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I did the butt smoking today. First time on the Kettle. I followed the advice of binder clips to keep the heat in and that worked wonderfully.

Here it is like 6 hours into it.

It's done!!! Pulled at 180-ish, then finished in oven to reach 202-ish.

Extremely good rear end smoke ring.

It tastes good as gently caress. I'm hooked :coolfish:

Only thing that sucked was I was woefully wrong on my fuel calculations and I had to constantly add charcoal and wood to keep the heat up. Also had some trouble getting my chimney starter a few times going probably due to the paper I was using to ignite it. All total about 12 hours of cooking for a 5 lb butt.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Yeah, there won’t be any big cooks for party’s or anything like that, but I’m ok with that given how tiny my apartment is. 95% of what I cook is for me and a +1.

Definitely interested to see how it pans out. Please share the results!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Only thing that sucked was I was woefully wrong on my fuel calculations and I had to constantly add charcoal and wood to keep the heat up.

Next time try making a charcoal ring around the bottom edge of the grill, 2 briquettes wide by 2 briquettes high. Stack wood chunks on top of it and light one end using the smallest amount of coal you can get to light in your chimney (or use a blowtorch or whatever). I can get like eleven hours at ~250ish with a nearly full ring of coals.

Butt looks good!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I actually did do that (the snake method) but I guess I didn't use enough charcoal to start it up, or I spaced things poorly, or any other number of potential gently caress-ups on my end. Butt turned out great though so :shrug:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Always overdo it with your charcoal load. You can just shut the vents and snuff the fire out and have plenty of unburnt coals for next time.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I think that's the trick, I forget I can reuse any charcoal that hasn't been completely ashed

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I think that's the trick, I forget I can reuse any charcoal that hasn't been completely ashed

Right. The real trick is to bring it up to temp slowly. Once you get it dialed in on the vents and it is sitting happy at a certain temp you will know how to set them in the future when you light a few charcoals.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Ugggh, I had a smoker fail this week. Was trying to make a smoked bloody mary mix to take on a holiday trip. I tried smoking whole peeled tomatoes from a can, had them on for about 2 hours at almost exactly 225. They ended up having a real abrasive bitterness to them (smelled great though). I'm not sure if it was the smoker (I had some old coals in there that I re-used but I had to use some kingsford easy-light stuff to get it started because I forget to go shopping for crucial things sometimes) or another part of the process. I'll probably try again after the holiday.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Crap happens. Not sure how much you used but I'm assuming that is about the same as Matchlight where you get high on the fumes when burning.

My latest fail was attempting to "double smoke" a spiral cut ham in the MES on Christmas. Let's just say when it is 6F out (and the only reason I attempted this was because oven space is at a premium) I realized about 2 hours in it couldn't do it. This was probably the coldest I attempted to try something with the MES. The 800W element couldn't keep up.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
drat! I "double smoked" an already smoked 6.5kg spiral-cut ham on Christmas day in my Weber Performer, held steady at 250 F with an outside temperature of 14 F. Took just about 3 hours to reach an internal temp of 140 F as recommended and I glazed the living poo poo out of it with a sweet apple cider glaze, but drat what an end product! The whole family loved it and much was given away to take home upon request.

Looks like you need a real deal charcoal unit :)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What's everyone smoking for NYE?

I got a new smoker for Christmas, so I'm thinking of doing ribs and wings for some party food.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I’m due for some ribs. I’ll do my usual slightly modified 3-2-1 system and eat until I go blind.

I can not wait!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I think ribs would be the easiest, and I've not done them either in a real long time or not at all. I've got lots of cheap rubs to use up (Rufus Teague and Rendezvous).

I also have this grilling honey that I might put on the wings.

Looks like the smoker is Bass Pro / Redhead's version of the WSM. It'll be nice to have a dedicated unit for smoking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Easiest is pork shoulder. Very forgiving

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

VERTiG0 posted:

Looks like you need a real deal charcoal unit :)

I got one, just tried to go the lazy route and combined with 6F and a stiff wind wasn't feeling it that day to yank it out and get it ready. But hey, live and learn.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looking to get my first smoker, leaning towards electric so hopefully it creates less smoke so I don't bother the neighbors. Was leaning towards the black 30 inch MES but I see that it doesn't have the RF remote/temperature like the stainless steel has. Worth $40 for that (and a window, I guess)? Seems like it would be useful for a newbie when paired with a wireless meat thermometer so I know temp in the smoker and temp in the meat at all times.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Internet Explorer posted:

Looking to get my first smoker, leaning towards electric so hopefully it creates less smoke so I don't bother the neighbors. Was leaning towards the black 30 inch MES but I see that it doesn't have the RF remote/temperature like the stainless steel has. Worth $40 for that (and a window, I guess)? Seems like it would be useful for a newbie when paired with a wireless meat thermometer so I know temp in the smoker and temp in the meat at all times.

The MES meat probe is often wildly inaccurate. Being able to adjust the smoker temp remotely is about the only thing I use my remote for, but that's really not a big deal either. The window gets covered in smoke residue very quickly and is kind of a pain to clean. I'd use the $40 on a remote dual probe thermometer (Maverick, etc.). They tend to be more accurate (and easier to test) and can be used for indoor cooking, grilling, etc. as a bonus.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The MES meat probe is often wildly inaccurate. Being able to adjust the smoker temp remotely is about the only thing I use my remote for, but that's really not a big deal either. The window gets covered in smoke residue very quickly and is kind of a pain to clean. I'd use the $40 on a remote dual probe thermometer (Maverick, etc.). They tend to be more accurate (and easier to test) and can be used for indoor cooking, grilling, etc. as a bonus.

I bought a maverick recently and it stopped working correctly within a year. I’d say it’s worth it to save up for the thermoworks Smoke.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Seconding getting a separate dual probe wireless thermometer.

Also splurge and get the 40", that is my only regret.

You need this too:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I definitely regret not getting the 40" and the remote would be nice.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, concur with above.

1) 40" Will get you 1200 Watt element (I'm fairly sure on that)
2) Window is worthless
3) The range on the MES remote is atrocious. Think like 10 feet or 3 meters range. Edit: Maybe better now, as mine is 5 years old.

Going to pull the trigger on a thermoworks smoke I think because I'm done loving around with the Maverick. When I verify temps the drat thing is off 10 degrees versus my instapen which I trust.

Anyone own both and could compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, concur with above.

1) 40" Will get you 1200 Watt element (I'm fairly sure on that)
2) Window is worthless
3) The range on the MES remote is atrocious. Think like 10 feet or 3 meters range. Edit: Maybe better now, as mine is 5 years old.

Going to pull the trigger on a thermoworks smoke I think because I'm done loving around with the Maverick. When I verify temps the drat thing is off 10 degrees versus my instapen which I trust.

Anyone own both and could compare?

The Smoke blows the Maverick out of the water. So glad I upgraded.