Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Natty Ports seems to have done a good job of it.

She had a career before Star Wars.

All the new characters from this trilogy will be fine, perhaps Boyega excepted. Ridley, Isaac, Driver are all immensely talented actors and none of them are giving really iconic performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's kind of a shame because I genuinely believe Daisy Ridley is a great actress with superstar talent but the odds generally aren't great for Star Wars leads leveraging their work into more dramatic roles.

What's this perception of superstar talent based on? Is it Star Wars, or is she incredible in Murder on the Orient Express or something?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just think her expressiveness and intensity is really good and she's had to consistently do the most with nothing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

What's this perception of superstar talent based on? Is it Star Wars, or is she incredible in Murder on the Orient Express or something?

Not just Star Wars! She was so good in

*scans imdb*

that BBC CSI knockoff where she played a corpse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Natty Ports seems to have done a good job of it.

She's discussed in interviews how she had a very noticeable down period in her career right after Star Wars where it seemed like directors just didn't know what kind of movies to cast her in. She had to be very, very careful about the roles she took and she if not for Black Swan it's tough to say how things would have worked out for her.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just make Boyega the next Bond in a few years

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Boyega played a gangbanger space samurai wrestling with a dark past, who learns how to be brave and eventually rejects his 'toxic masculinity' in Attack the Block and he was fantastic. That's literally every story beat for FN and Poe in episode 7 & 8, except properly done in just one film which also features an ensemble cast.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 29, 2017

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

She's discussed in interviews how she had a very noticeable down period in her career right after Star Wars where it seemed like directors just didn't know what kind of movies to cast her in. She had to be very, very careful about the roles she took and she if not for Black Swan it's tough to say how things would have worked out for her.

I think her biggest problem is not being a very good actor. Daisy Ridley has a higher ceiling I think

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Speaking of which, for all its so called diversity angering racist fanboys, every role in episode 7 & 8 is colorblind. It's just tokenism.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think the setup for 9 is really interesting. The order run by someone who hates it. The two heads who hate one another. If hux doesn't make a move against ren I'll be surprised, there's an interesting potential for the snake to eat it's own tail and I'm looking forward to seeing if that's a route the go down.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Waffles Inc. posted:

I think her biggest problem is not being a very good actor. Daisy Ridley has a higher ceiling I think

Any actress on the planet including Daisy Ridley would kill to turn in a performance as good as Portman in Black Swan or Jackie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So for episode 9, they’re obviously doing a time jump, right? Jump a few years ahead? This lets them address Leia dying off-screen, maybe bring some of those Force sensitive individuals into the spotlight and have the Resistance grown into something more than 30 some people.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ShineDog posted:

I think the setup for 9 is really interesting. The order run by someone who hates it. The two heads who hate one another. If hux doesn't make a move against ren I'll be surprised, there's an interesting potential for the snake to eat it's own tail and I'm looking forward to seeing if that's a route the go down.

Ultimately though, the Resistance won't be allowed to win outright. Because Disney will need every new trilogy to be Plucky Rebels vs. Evil Empire. I would expect Ep. 9 to beef up the Rebels with tech and manpower to be sort of visibly on equal footing as the OT Rebels and that will be the "victory"

exquisite tea posted:

Any actress on the planet including Daisy Ridley would kill to turn in a performance as good as Portman in Black Swan or Jackie.

We'll have to disagree and chalk it up to taste I suppose, but I don't think she makes strong choices and plays the problem a bit too much

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sinding Johansson posted:

Speaking of which, for all its so called diversity angering racist fanboys, every role in episode 7 & 8 is colorblind. It's just tokenism.
What are you expecting the films to do that they don't? To me it seems like the opposite of tokenism.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Maybe they can set the new Star Wars in a different galaxy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rian Johnson's new trilogy would be about "new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored" so they don't need to leave anything hanging at the end of episode 9 for it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Rian Johnson's new trilogy would be about "new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored" so they don't need to leave anything hanging at the end of episode 9 for it.

I think an interesting movie would be watching how the new order built itself up from the ashes of Return of the Jedi, but I doubt that’s a story Disney would ever want to tell.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm guessing Johnson's trilogy will be about droid emancipation.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

this would actually be cool and interesting, which leads me to believe that disney won't go for it

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

No way does Disney greenlight a movie that is either a full on slave revolt or a political thriller about machinations (hah) leading to droid emancipation

It would be deeply awesome if we got a Droid John Brown but

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm hoping everybody asking for a droid emancipation movie has seen the recent Planet of the Apes trilogy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm hoping everybody asking for a droid emancipation movie has seen the recent Planet of the Apes trilogy.

A trilogy like that but with a droid main character liberating other droids would be extremely my poo poo.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

teagone posted:

A trilogy like that but with a droid main character liberating other droids would be extremely my poo poo.

A droid emancipation series would be a good reason to bring back Alan Tudyk for another K2-like droid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

this would actually be cool and interesting, which leads me to believe that disney won't go for it

To keep with the theme of Disney consuming everything, it will be the Butlerian Jihad followed by a Dune remake.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi's tendency to do analogies about real human struggles for emancipation in order to make it palatable and marketable (talk about "pseudo-Marxistic") but given ethical concerns about AI might well be a future issue I would be very much ok with this

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

hiddenriverninja posted:

Maybe they can set the new Star Wars in a different galaxy
That sure worked out great for Mass Effect

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Syrinxx posted:

That sure worked out great for Mass Effect

Well, I mean, people are already trying the patented Andromeda Defence of 'the series was always this horrible', so, we're already there.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

J_RBG posted:

I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi's tendency to do analogies about real human struggles for emancipation in order to make it palatable and marketable (talk about "pseudo-Marxistic") but given ethical concerns about AI might well be a future issue I would be very much ok with this

All good sci fi is analogies for real human struggles

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Star Wars isn't sci Fi it's fantasy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is both.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Star Wars is a space opera.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Star Wars is a documentary

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Star Wars is anime

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I Before E posted:

Star Wars is anime

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Star Wars is blood?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Star Wars is an opiate

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Star Wars is the mob

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Star Wars is like jazz... it's about the wars you ARENT fighting

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just like the theme of learning from failure in TLJ, the movie itself is a failure for the fans. It's fails inside fails its so beautifully poetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Star Wars is for cucks and white genocide