Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait so I can continue eating like trash if I just work out harder than the trash I eat? I can work towards that

Honestly I just need to wake my rear end up early to work out because the afternoons I’m completely burnt out from work to do anything

Technically yes because ultimately,

3 DONG HORSE posted:

How to get abs:

Cal(in) + Cal(out) = -Cal(tot)

But a candy bar is like 300 calories. Which is a lot of exercise. Unless you have gobs of free time and really like working out, it's much more time-efficient to simply reduce caloric intake.

e: like I don't have the time to run marathons to burn off eating a whole pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh poo poo no. I loving hate candy. I don’t drink soda either. The only vices I have are coffee (2-3 cups / days, mostly black but I’ll sometimes make an espresso with steamed milk) and beer (stouts, I generally only drink during the weekend). I got a few things for the kitchen between Black Friday and Christmas to help me meal prep and cook for the week which is really what I need to work on.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My AV notwithstanding, the fastest way to look like you probably want to look if you're a stereotypical skinny-fat goon who makes posts like "I want to get abs and don't want to get big" is to take up rock climbing.

This is impractical for a lot of people obviously, and also you might fall and die.*

*Climbing in a climbing gym on the auto-belays is very safe if you just follow the rules and aren't a huge rear end in a top hat, though.

The ideal thing in general is to find a very strenuous exercise that doesn't bore you to death, so you will consistently do a shitload of it without hating life and quitting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I like jogging and run during the not-winter months. Doing boring poo poo is extremely my jam.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Who hates candy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I still laugh at people who go "I don't want to lift weights because I don't want to get big."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
While diet can help lose weight, it should also be noted that exercise also has a ton of other health benefits, so if you can, exercise too.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
2017 was my least terrible year since, wanna say, uh, 2011. It wasn't a good year, but it was an improvement over some of them.

Also, if you starve yourself, your body is going to go into shock and slow down your metabolism in general, including the burning fat part, so I wouldn't go that route.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 29, 2017

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Amy Pole Her posted:

Who hates candy

Not me! :btroll:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Buy a good set of food scales and use my fitnesspal to help track calories and macros.

I just try to limit cheat days to 2 a month.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

Who hates candy

Candy is sugary trash and must be purged from this world.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Who hates candy

I don’t really like sugar :l

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Candy is sugary trash and must be purged from this world.

So you were raised by gluttons or

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Candy sucks. Chocolate owns though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And use a giant drill, bore straight into hell
Releasin ancient demons from their sleep-forever spell
So they can walk upon the earth, and get resuscitated
And hawk the diet pills MC Pee Pants have created

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Candy sucks. Chocolate owns though.

Oh i guess I lumped the two together.

Nothing i love more than a snickers ever so randomly

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

BlindSite posted:

Buy a good set of food scales and use my fitnesspal to help track calories and macros.

I just try to limit cheat days to 2 a month.

Ive found 2 cheat meals a month is optimal for overall look but I do it every week and have a 6 pack. Of course I am super strict the other 6.5 days but yea 2 a month is prob a good place to start.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hating Candy as a whole is weird as there is so much and they are so different.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I love candy AND chocolate...and every kind of sweet...and most every kind of food. Im going to get so huge when I finally say screw it and stop giving a crap.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hating Candy as a whole is weird as there is so much and they are so different.

Those people exist, they're all just Ben Stiller from dodgeball. You'd hate kitkats too if you had to electrocute your balls every time you licked one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Exercise is good for you in lots of ways besides losing weight, yes. However, in addition to just reducing caloric intake to an amount proportionate to the calories you're burning every day, eating a healthy diet has lots of other good benefits, too. And a healthy diet is more than just restricting calories.

My goal for 2018 is to be healthier by getting more exercise and eating a healthier diet. I'm not trying to lose or gain weight particularly - I do have too much fat at my midsection, but my overall weight (5'8", ~155lbs) is fine. I also don't eat like a total goon - I enjoy and eat vegetables and fruits, and don't drink a lot of sugary sodas - but I need to make moderate improvements (fewer carbs, more vegetables). Main thing is to get off my rear end, I sit for 12+ hours a day and I don't work out at all, I just get some walking done occasionally. Gonna upgrade that to 3x a week exercise (of any kind) and try to sustain that indefinitely.

Another resolution for 2018 is to get the top three house projects done. We've been here for 8 years and still haven't done a number of important things.
#1 tear down the old leaking awful patio, demo the uneven concrete, put in new patio flooring, construct new patio walls and roof to code
#2 repair stucco on the side of the house where we removed that tree, and then prep & paint the whole exterior
#3 re-grade all around the foundation, run a french drain along the back of the house, and then repair & upgrade gutters where needed

Finally, in order to maintain my current ~9.75 posts-per-day I need to make about 3560 posts in 2018. I feel like that's a reasonable and achievable goal, but it'd be cool to push my PPD up to a nice round 10. Since I've already been on SA for 10 years, I'll need to add about another thousand posts this year, so I need to post about 12 to 13 posts a day all year. I bet I can do it! Wish me luck!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 29, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I will never have abs because my sweet tooth is a cruel, relentless master. Fortunately, I've cut way back on my beer intake in the last few years.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still laugh at people who go "I don't want to lift weights because I don't want to get big."

My wife says this a lot when I want her to come to tougher lifting classes with me. But in two years of going to our gym she somehow hasn't noticed me checking out the more toned and muscular women in our classes...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I avoid sodas and extra fatty poo poo. I spin at work to keep my heart pumping.

That’s about it. Past two months have been weight gain city so time for annual work weight loss challenge

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

C-Euro posted:

My wife says this a lot when I want her to come to tougher lifting classes with me. But in two years of going to our gym she somehow hasn't noticed me checking out the more toned and muscular women in our classes...

Oh she’s likely too busy looking at the younger fitter guys

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Amy Pole Her posted:

Who hates candy

I can take or leave most candy and chocolate

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't mean to sound cruel, but...

does anyone else feel like there are an unusually high number of TV ads regarding children dying of cancer or dogs dying of abuse? Is it a function of the holidays?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Candy lovers, what are your go to's?

Peanut M&Ms in the freezer and Sour Patch Kids are my jam.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

weird Asian candy posted:

Candy lovers, what are your go to's?

Peanut M&Ms in the freezer and Sour Patch Kids are my jam.

This or snickers. KitKats are good but i only cheat so often and there’s something about snickers. God i love it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

The ideal thing in general is to find a very strenuous exercise that doesn't bore you to death, so you will consistently do a shitload of it without hating life and quitting.
This

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's mostly soccer moms who believe this

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

milky ways

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If I had to pick a candy bar it would be the only good one: Twix. Man, I miss Twix.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If it's gonna be a generic candy bar, it'll be a kitkat, but I rarely do that.

Ice cream though, god drat will I crush some gelato. That Talenti caramel crunch poo poo almost killed my ability to eat halotop.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Peanut M&M's are a classic.

Peanut butter + chocolate is also a classic.

Seattle has this slowly but consistently growing artisinal chocolate scene. I haven't tried any yet but the reviews are pretty great.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Regular M&Ms, dark chocolate + cranberries + almonds + cashews, Nesquik*, Snickers, Twix, and anything from Ghirardelli's

*gently caress you, I'm a grown rear end man. I can do what i want!!!!

I don't have these regularly except the trail mix and the chocolate milk since those double as "healthy" snacks for me (lol)

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I don't mean to sound cruel, but...

does anyone else feel like there are an unusually high number of TV ads regarding children dying of cancer or dogs dying of abuse? Is it a function of the holidays?

I agree and it sucks. I think they're just playing off people's guilt and/or generosity, which is truly hosed up considering all the billionaires who aren't doing poo poo. No, rich guy, donating to make your taxes better doesn't count.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

If it's gonna be a generic candy bar, it'll be a kitkat, but I rarely do that.

Ice cream though, god drat will I crush some gelato. That Talenti caramel crunch poo poo almost killed my ability to eat halotop.

Love kitkat as well, those in the freezer also ahead of time is amazing.

Basically, if it's not going to break your teeth due to being frozen, throw that crap in the freezer for a while ahead of time. Peanut M&Ms, Reese's PB Cups, KitKat, etc all freaking awesome fresh out the freezer!

I used to love 3 Muskateers, I haven't had one in forever though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I devour peanut m&ms like a vacuum cleaner.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

^forgot about Reese's..those are the best frozen. Man, I miss being high 24/7. Where'd you go, college days??

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I had a Baby Ruth for the first time in forever a while back. It was good.

God don't let me encounter a Payday or I'll be hooked again I'm sure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

piss tape israel posted:

It's mostly soccer moms who believe this

There was an epidemic of this in whatever the workout subform was called years ago when I was dumb enough to post there and give controversial advice like "If you want some visible muscles maybe try one of these beginner weight programs, I dunno?"

:qq: BUT I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE A MUSCLE MANS :qq:

I'm long past tilting at that particular windmill though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Holiday Mint M&Ms this past Christmas (not White Peppermint, gently caress that poo poo) were amazing and I must've gone through several bags by myself over the course of a month or two. Also the S'Mores Crispy M&Ms from a year ago.

• Locked thread