Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Re: Pixel 2 XL tempered glass, well, gently caress. The main reason I want one is because the oleophobic coating wears off and I hate it when that happens after like 6 months :(

replace the coating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

replace the coating

I never knew you could reapply that stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Before oleophobic coatings existed I'd just rain-x the phone glass once a week.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never had an oleophobic coating wear off tempered glass.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Moey posted:

I never knew you could reapply that stuff.

Just search for oleophobic coating kit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've never had an oleophobic coating wear off tempered glass.

Same, never had the coating wear off of a phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

You probably just didn't realize it but all oleophobic coatings wear off eventually.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, if I never noticed it was gone, then it was hardly doing anything in the first place.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

If you replace your phone every year or less you probably won't notice. That's when it starts to suck, at 1.5 years it's awful.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So the Horse God wanting Endura Carrots: That's new post-DLC2, right? The times I had her ressurect murdered horses earlier this year she didn't charge anything, best I can recall.

Edit: wrong thread. Witness my shame. Apologies.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 29, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

maltesh posted:

So the Horse God wanting Endura Carrots: That's new post-DLC2, right? The times I had her ressurect murdered horses earlier this year she didn't charge anything, best I can recall.

Horse Gods want literally only one thing and it's disgusting

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

rip mr hands

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

maltesh posted:

A Pixel (2) or a Moto G5+

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Just search for oleophobic coating kit

Got a recommendation for a good one? I've never reapplied it before, didn't know that was a thing.

And yes, it absolutely wears off, I usually see it happen in 6-12 months on most of my phones.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 30, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm thinking of doing the Project Fi Nexus 5x trade-in for a Moto 4x. It's going to cost me 200$ total for the new Moto phone which seems like a good deal. I'm not a super gadget nerd though. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Does the Moto's 2 back cameras make a difference?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Before oleophobic coatings existed I'd just rain-x the phone glass once a week.

lol this is the gooniest thing I've heard in a while. Thread title please.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

cage-free egghead posted:

lol this is the gooniest thing I've heard in a while. Thread title please.

The Android Thread - rainx your cardboard cutout

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm thinking of doing the Project Fi Nexus 5x trade-in for a Moto 4x. It's going to cost me 200$ total for the new Moto phone which seems like a good deal. I'm not a super gadget nerd though. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Does the Moto's 2 back cameras make a difference?

Your 5x is going to die regardless. If you can't swing the Pixel, get what you can while it still works.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Moto X4 is a Good Phone; don't despair.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, definitely get rid of your 5X. The are a ticking time bomb. All of them.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, definitely get rid of your 5X. The are a ticking time bomb. All of them.

Can anyone explain this? Looking online it seems recent updates have introduced a boot loop issue. If that;s true, if its a software thing, why don't they just fix the OS? Ia google forcing obsolescence?

Mine is right on 18 months

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 30, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can anyone explain this? Looking online it seems recent updates have introduced a boot loop issue. If that;s true, if its a software thing, why don't they just fix the OS? Ia google forcing obsolescence?

Lg is incapable of making a phone that doesn't bootloop it's not google doing anything other than contracting manufacturing to poo poo companies. The blame is on lg and updates have nothing do with it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_smartphone_bootloop_issues

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CLAM DOWN posted:

Got a recommendation for a good one? I've never reapplied it before, didn't know that was a thing.

And yes, it absolutely wears off, I usually see it happen in 6-12 months on most of my phones.

The only one I've tried is the Whoosh stuff. I got a big bottle and I just spray and wipe once or twice a week and it keeps it going well enough. Since it is such a big bottle, I haven't run out of it yet, so I haven't tried any other brands.

I have a launch day Galaxy S8 and the screen still feels fairly good on it, so I guess it is working. Might not be the best stuff, but it seems to be increasing the lifespan.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 30, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Lg is incapable of making a phone that doesn't bootloop it's not google doing anything other than contracting manufacturing to poo poo companies. The blame is on lg and updates have nothing do with it

Lg has a machine in their factory that all phones must pass through. This machine installs the bootloops. Some people have said "lg, don't run the phones through the bootlooper!", but they just can't help themselves.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

RZA Encryption posted:

Lg has a machine in their factory that all phones must pass through. This machine installs the bootloops. Some people have said "lg, don't run the phones through the bootlooper!", but they just can't help themselves.

:golfclap:

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Ugh, something happened with my Pixel after the most recent security update this month. My battery now drains at like 1% per minute whenever the screen is on, regardless of the app being used. Battery settings just says 'system' is hogging all the power, and I didn't install anything new after the update. Any thoughts?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chu020 posted:

Ugh, something happened with my Pixel after the most recent security update this month. My battery now drains at like 1% per minute whenever the screen is on, regardless of the app being used. Battery settings just says 'system' is hogging all the power, and I didn't install anything new after the update. Any thoughts?

If restarting doesn't fix the problem I'd say your only option is to factory reset and start over.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Chu020 posted:

This is sadly the most android thing ever but they have a developer tool that lets you analyze bug report files from your phone.

https://github.com/google/battery-historian

I had a problem like this, something was destroying my battery and the settings screen was useless to tell me what it was. Battery historian said that Instagram had some background service that got wedged and was holding open a wakelock constantly.

Might at least save you from a factory reset.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Stuff was definitely weird on my pixel going to 8.1, a factory reset fixed it and as I posted earlier I was pleasantly surprised how good the restore from backup has got

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
ugh I think my Nexus 6p is on its way out :(

i thought I'd gotten lucky in avoiding that battery issue for this long. I don't really want to spend $1200 on a new phone right now

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

strap on revenge posted:

i thought I'd gotten lucky in avoiding that battery issue for this long. I don't really want to spend $1200 on a new phone right now

https://m.newegg.com/products/0SC-00F6-001C9

:confused:

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Phone is a turd to take apart.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I reset my Pixel recently and my wifi reception has gotten markedly worse. Any reason this might be, or anything I can do to improve it?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Any fellow Pixel 2ers experiencing headphone control issues? Spotify no longer recognises double tap from inline headhone controls as a skip to next song function.

Works fine with Play Music so not a hardware issue, I'm guessing it's just 8.1.0 fuckery

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've noticed turning off Location History on most phones fixes battery issues/wakelocks. Might be worth a try.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

strap on revenge posted:

If you bought it through Google you can use the replacement service to get a Pixel XL for about $100. I had to do this a couple months ago and I'm loving the new old phone.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

CRAYON posted:

If you bought it through Google

i did not

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

strap on revenge posted:

I had a local company switch my battery out for $60 and the performance is back to how it was when I first bought it. Worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pixel 2 cold weather performance delivers. That second one was taken from inside a moving vehicle lol

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 1, 2018